Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
13 miles today, going to supermarket ( for special requests from Mrs. GA,) and return. A more difficult trip to Krogers' than Schnucks', no trail leading to the store, twisty and winding streets and hilly as well. In all, a fine trip, the Fuji handled 20 or so pounds of groceries with grace and aplomb. Also miles for the bike challenge, which ends with the month of September.
https://nationalbikechallenge.org

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think you have misrepresented me @ColinJ it was a 31" gear, I would have flown up there on a 24" :whistle:
24" = 2 feet = on two feet = walking ... :thumbsup:

PS The result of me using my 26 inch bottom gear on the Pudsey Rd climb yesterday (rather than the '24 inch' option) is that I woke up in the middle of the night with a very stiff back! It is not much better this morning so I think I will give the bike and back a rest today.

Last edited:

RWright

Guru
You saw a sundog or parhelia. (link to one I posted on cc recently, link to atmospheric optics site )
I don't know how I missed your picture. :huh: I read all that thread (at least I thought I had), great thread btw:thumbsup:.
I notice the clouds in your picture look very similar to the ones in mine and the sun is low and bright in both of them. I had never seen one before. Thanks for the link to your picture and the info link.

After looking at some more pictures I don't think I saw vapor trails after all. I am not sure but I was a little confused because they looked so much like them but to make several of them together like that, and them being about the same size, the planes would almost have to be flying in formation. I guess it could have been military planes but now I don't think so.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Once again, @gavgav has beaten me to it and covered the salient points so I'll just givve a bit of an account from my point of view:

I rode down to his place for about 9, meeting up with Gav and Doug (who'd taken the bike over in the car) and we then rode to tthe Sports Village which conveniently is that side of town. Compared to the BHF ride (my only other sportive to date) the atmosphere was really relaxed and the organisers made everyone feel welcome personally. The advantage of it being a completely new event I suppose.

Once signed in and allocated event numbers we were good to go and Gav, Doug and I got off in the first wave. This very quickly split into two groups thanks to a couple of busy traffic islands so I ended up ahead. I stuck with this group for a bit but soon realised that with the pace they were setting (they were cruising at between 22 and 28 mph and I was keeping up :hyper:) I'd soon lose Doug and Gav, so I dropped away and tookt the chance to grab a couple of action photos when the next group came through.

We cruised along pretty well - Shawbury and Wem came and went and I had to suggest a stop for a bit to eat, knowing how hard the going can be if you don't keep the energy levels up. Welshampton was where we stopped and where we found out about the one group having missed the turn at Roden and gone on to High Ercall.

Pressing on again, I had warned about the hill between Welshampton and Ellesmere being a bit of a pig. Fortunately it didn't seem as bad as I remembered it (I think I had a strong headwind as well when I last rode it) and we took the chance to pause by The Mere.

The next section all seems to blur into one - lots of gentle cruising on mostly flat roads, until we turned off onto the road to St. Martin's which was rather more undulating. As mentioned by Gav, one of our fellows was having to walk the hills by this point. Fortunately it wasn't long to the refreshment stop where a welcome break was taken.

Pressing on again, the directions were confusing in St. Martins itself, but we got the right junctions. It was somewhere around here that the Corsa blasted past us.

Around Whittington one of the other riders we'd left at the food stop caught and passed us. We were quite near the back as it was and didn't want to be last home.

The section on lanes after West Felton was quite nice as there was hardly any traffic, before we were back onto the B roads through Ruyton XI Towns, Baschurch and Myddle (where there is a nasty little bank to climb up to the main road). Here we were caught by the last two runners in the event: Paul, who we'd seen walking the hills earlier and Bill, the organiser who was staying back to help Paul make it home.

We pressed on again and despite Doug and Gav being really tired at this point we made quite reasonable progress. The road through Harmer Hill and Albrighton was quite busy and many of the drivers didn't give a lot of room so we were glad to get off this road, however the last section along Harlescott Lane and Featherbed lane was worse with several close passes (oh, and the "cycle lane" on Featherbed Lane is a joke).

Making it back to the Sports Village we were greeted by more people than I expected to be still there and applause fo having made it. Just the lap of the track to do and we were finished.

Paul did make it - to widespread applause :thumbsup: and Doug and Gav now have their first Metric Century in the bag.:bravo: Well done chaps!

It seems that this event is likely to be run again next year so I shall be keeping an eye out for it.^_^ Hopefully they'll get a good crowd next time.

After riding back to Gav's I headed for an uneventful trip home making a total of 74.1 miles for the day at 13.1 mph average.

View attachment 57673
Gav and Doug ready for the off.

View attachment 57674
Catching catch me up at Roden......

View attachment 57675
....along with the rest of their group.

View attachment 57676
The Mere at Ellesmere.

View attachment 57677
We are plied with cake, drink and bananas.

View attachment 57678
Across the finish line back at Shrewsbury.

View attachment 57679
Oh, did I mention my race number?:whistle:
I may have beaten you to it, but your photos are much better than mine! I thought the chap was called Pete, not Paul, but my hearing may have been affected by the voices in my head saying "what are you doing riding this you fool"!

Little commute in with a little spin around Cambridge with some stops for provisions,sights and temptations;

http://www.strava.com/activities/200917381

Cambridge botanic garden and temptation(not usually keen on Giants but this looked nice)

DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride as usual...
I met up with a mate by Harleston Firs for a bounce around the trails. Some of them are quite overgrown at the moment but should clear soon. For once though it was not muddy, apart from a few deeper troughs by the berms.

DSC_3174.jpg

The route from my place takes me over this bridleway. The field has been ploughed and not had the path reinstated so it's really hard going over the furrows! Fortunately it's only half a mile across..

DSC_3177.jpg

The entrance to The Firs. There were loads of dog walkers and families taking advantage of the Sunday sunshine, but in the further reaches of the woods it was quite quiet.

DSC_3179.jpg

The main vehicular entrance to the woodyard and sawmills. It's all part of the Althorpe Estate. The main house is about a mile away.

DSC_3203.jpg

Me on one of the trails in the area. Great fun to ride, especially when it's dry.

firs.png

The Strava trail looks a bit iffy though.. :laugh:

26 miles for me, but with no coffee or cake

http://www.strava.com/activities/200527972

:smile:

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had a quick ride down to the hospital this morning. The cyclepath was blocked by a large van full of police people and a speed gun. I asked them to move as I couldn't get past without going over the cobbles, down the kerb onto the busy road to pass and then up the kerb, over the cobbles and back on to the path. I didn't feel like doing that so got the van to move. Apparently they've had to move for quite a few cyclists today. Funny old thing that, as they had totally blocked the cycleway.
I saw lots of others out today, it was a nice morning.
8.46 miles in about 34 minutes or so. My legs were a bit tired today.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You should have said and I might have come with you and shown you how it's done. :thumbsup:

You're not helping you know! I am developing a bit of a hankering for a disc braked cyclocross bike(**insert Kaffenback HERE**). Although this wouldn't do anything my hybrid won't do it would be fun to have something without guards and pannier to thrash about on the mildly rough stuff :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom