Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Woke up late, just made the club ride. As I didn't get up on time I didn't have a cup of tea or any breakfast before going out today. Just felt crap all the way round, was given a fruit bar by Gordyfinbar which helped, then a little later I had a gel given to me by Donger . I splitting ride in 2 as Donger and Iain went up Selsley Hill and back I waited. In total the ride was about 26 - 30 miles as my Garmin didn't want to acquire a satalite straight away. So nothing on the ride went to plan and I'm now sat herewith slightly aching legs , but pleased I went out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 38

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Took 8 days off after my exertions in Scotland, but was itching to get back out again today as I start training for the Alps next year. Traded in a Sunday lie-in for an early start with the Kingsway Cycle Club.

@Dark46 did a Rory McIlroy and turned up fashionably late, and there were only four of us this week. It was a nice, flattish, social ride, - mostly at about 15mph and taking in Elmore, Epney and Frampton on Severn before heading off for Frocester and Kings Stanley. From there a couple of us did a little detour up through Middleyard to the edge of Selsley Common just to get a proper climb in, up the Cotswold Edge. A nice 32mph descent back to Kings Stanley before regrouping and returning together to Kingsway (South Gloucester) via Haresfield. Very little traffic today, and what little there was behaved itself. A pleasant, civilised 32.8 mile ride at a speed where you could chat as you go. Nice.

Next Sunday (@ 09:00) Kingsway CC is hoping to see as many newcomers as possible outside the Tesco Express in Kingsway. We promise not to go too fast, and to make it a gentle introduction to social road cycling in this area. If you live locally and are wondering about joining a club, come along and give it a try next Sunday. It'll be nice to see as many as possible. @Dark46 has already volunteered to lead a beginners' group in the following weeks if we get a few newcomers.
:welcome:
Cheers, Donger.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Woke up late, just made the club ride. As I didn't get up on time I didn't have a cup of tea or any breakfast before going out today. Just felt crap all the way round, was given a fruit bar by Gordyfinbar which helped, then a little later I had a gel given to me by Donger . I splitting ride in 2 as Donger and Iain went up Selsley Hill and back I waited. In total the ride was about 26 - 30 miles as my Garmin didn't want to acquire a satalite straight away. So nothing on the ride went to plan and I'm now sat herewith slightly aching legs , but pleased I went out.
I got up and decided not to go on the club run as i had back ache from gardening and not much sleep as i got turfed out of bed by one of the kids in the middle of the night and had to sleep in their bed after i remade it .Hopefully off out for a blast round the same route as yesterday in a bit.

D

Deleted member 1258

Mappleborough green, Studley Garden Centre, the destination 67 miles the journey, the ride that nearly didn't happen, We've been very busy at work recently and I'm a bit weary, I woke up this morning and didn't want to go, but I looked at the weather and forced myself out, and what a glorious cycling morning it was, I was a bit over dressed, I could have worn shorts and lost the base layer, I also seemed to have left my legs at home, usual route out through Temple Balsal and down the main road past the Honely Boot before turning left into the lanes, but when I came to cross the road near Shewley and go through Losenford I went left instead then turned right through Yarningdale Common onto the main road and turned through Wooton Wawen onto Penny Ford lane through Little Alne and picked up the lane through Shelfield and Wawen mere and onto the main road to the Garden Centre, coming back I turned left off the main road through Ullenhall, picked up Gentlemans Lane and turned leff through the lanes to turn right into Pig Trot lane and onto a favourite route back past the Badesley Clinton Manor House and onto Temple Balsal then retraced my route into Coventry and across the city home. I'm sat here with tired sore legs glad I applied rule 5 and got out because I had an enjoyable morning on the bike and would have been cursing if I'd missed it.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not my ride today but my 78 year old Dads ride today.

My Dad has serious mobility issues following two artificial hips and two artificial knees. He also has a heart condition, pagets disease and a form of blood cancer, all of which are being treated .....anyway he has been unable to ride his Marin hybrid for a year now due to a serious of leg infections following cuts that dont heal.

Today I took him up to the top of the mountain I call my favorite place on earth. Kantara in Northern Cyprus. Here he rode 10 km along the top of the mountain ridge and then let the brakes go and decended down the steepest climb some 650m of sharp switchbacks to the village of kaplica below. I followed in the 'support car'.

At one point i pull up alongside and yell if he is ok...he relied "How far back is the pelaton?"

Superb effort, its a shame I cant triple like a post . :cheers:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Today's ride is titled "Thanks for the café recommendation @ColinJ but maybe next time I'll just take a banana"

Lovely autumn morning, still, quite mild. Decided to do a long one; Glossop - Stalybridge - Delph - Sowerby Bridge - Hebden Bridge - Cragg Vale - Newhey - Delph - back to Glossop. 65 miles all in so I decided to have a little stop off in Hebden for lunch. Colin recommended a café, I was in business.
Last week I came across a sportive and got bored saying "morning" to them all. This time it was a triathlon starting in Rishworth. After saying "hello" to the first dozen or so guys in budgie smugglers I'd had enough. I only said hello after that to the rather charming looking female competitors.

Made it to Hebden (never been there before). It looked lovely in the Autumn sunshine. Packed with folk. Went to the café. And that's where my problems started. Hmmmm.......Full English, £7.95 including unlimited tea or coffee. Now I'd gone in thinking maybe scrambled egg on toast would be nice. I came out full of bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushroom, egg, beans, tomato, toast, potato wedges and three cups of tea. Not ideal prep for Cragg Vale which was about 10 minutes away.

So I gave it my effort on Cragg Vale, the longest continuous uphill in England at 8.3km. But I'd already done 35 hardish miles, there was a bit of a headwind and most importantly I was stuffed to the gills with the lovely café breakfast. 28 minutes. Rubbish

I was knackered after that and the 20 mile run for home was hard. The sun came out, I was too hot with a baselayer and a cycling top. I had to strip off by the road and go down to just the top, hopefully not upsetting too many car drivers in the process.

65 miles with about 4,800ft of climbing. 14.5mph average

Last edited:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Today's ride is titled "Thanks for the café recommendation @ColinJ but maybe next time I'll just take a banana"

Lovely autumn morning, still, quite mild. Decided to do a long one; Glossop - Stalybridge - Delph - Sowerby Bridge - Hebden Bridge - Cragg Vale - Newhey - Delph - back to Glossop. 65 miles all in so I decided to have a little stop off in Hebden for lunch. Colin recommended a café, I was in business.
Last week I came across a sportive and got bored saying "morning" to them all. This time it was a triathlon starting in Rishworth. After saying "hello" to the first dozen or so guys in budgie smugglers I'd had enough. I only said hello after that to the rather charming looking female competitors.

Made it to Hebden (never been there before). It looked lovely in the Autumn sunshine. Packed with folk. Went to the café. And that's where my problems started. Hmmmm.......Full English, £7.95 including unlimited tea or coffee. Now I'd gone in thinking maybe scrambled egg on toast would be nice. I came out full of bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushroom, egg, beans, tomato, toast, potato wedges and three cups of tea. Not ideal prep for Cragg Vale which was about 10 minutes away.

So I gave it my effort on Cragg Vale, the longest continuous uphill in England at 8.3km. But I'd already done 35 hardish miles, there was a bit of a headwind and most importantly I was stuffed to the gills with the lovely café breakfast. 28 minutes. Rubbish

I was knackered after that and the 20 mile run for home was hard. The sun came out, I was too hot with a baselayer and a cycling top. I had to strip off by the road and go down to just the top, hopefully not upsetting too many car drivers in the process.

65 miles with about 4,800ft of climbing. 14.5mph average

Anyone who can cycle out of Hebden Bridge on a full English breakfast without bursting into tears has my deepest respect!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got marshalled! Twice.

Hubster not feeling very well so I went off for a ride by myself. I decided to ride the 11 mile Wreningham/Hethel cyclpath route. I've been noticing some yellow arrows up for a few days. They were joining other yellow arrows that have been there for a fortnight so I didn't take much notice of them as I rode round watching the tractors, smiling at the peleton from the Tour de Silfield (large family group with a dozen kids on various bikes, tow along bikes and a real small'un in a seat thing). They looked like they were having a fab time on a Sunday afternoon. Then along the cyclepath at Hethel and nearly jumped out of my skin as the first sports car roared past on the other side of the fence. Lotus must be having a track day.
I overtook a couple of other cyclists who were out for a nice steady pootle. The lady looked really tired, bless her. At the end of the cyclepath I tried to turn right to head home but a loud "NO IT'S THIS WAY" reached my ears. I said that I wanted to go left but the lady said "NO. You MUST go that way", pointing to the right. She had a look on her face that brooked no argument. A bit like my Mum when she had a bad taste in her mouth, so I thought that I'd better head off to the right. Anyway, that's not so bad as I could loop back via Ketteringham anyway.
At the East Carleton turning I decided to follow the arrows a bit longer and not go to Ketteringham but to head off to Cringleford and come home via the Hethersett Road. Off I cycled, passing some people sitting about on the side of the road in hi-viz, stuffing sarnies. They waved. I waved back. I had a nice ride past Intwood Church, over the A11 bridge and up we wee rise to where Intwood Road crosses Keswick Road.
My plan was to go straight on and down to Eaton/Cringleford and home that way but there was another marshall insisting that I turned left and went to Keswick. I said 'No, I want to go home and it's this way'.
He said "You must go up here and finish or you won't get your medal'
I was a bit confused. Not hard on a Sunday. I said that I wanted to go home but the man kept pointing.
"You won't get a medal if you go that way" Most insistently but I was tired and I'd been bossed about once today and once is enough.
I said "I don't want a medal. I'm out for a Sunday afternoon noodle around the roads, I'm not sorting out the Middle East" and headed straight on. I didn't look back so I don't know if he had the same wasp chewing face that the other marshall did.

The rest of the ride was nice. No more marshalls telling me where to go either. I rode down to Eaton, up Colney Lane and down the hill to Roundwell and then under the A47 and home via Hethersett and Wymondham.
18.75 miles. I was going to go round the block and do the extra 1.25 miles but I needed a wee and a cheese butty. Not at the same time though.
1:19:35 so not fast but I had a nice time ^_^

davdandy

No pics,sorry.

Today was a scoot up to Southport but the long way in and out.Heading in towards Rainford and Halsall and reaching our goal,the carousel at Southport.Coming back we went to Formby and onto Aughton,the outskirts of Ormskirk then headed towards Burtonwood and Croft then home.Home being Leigh by the way.

Total mileage today was 75 miles.

gavgav

Guru
A first Sportive for me today, as I took part in the Bill Car 60 Sportive (in aid of Prostate Cancer UK) along with @Rickshaw Phil , his brother Doug and my work colleague Mark.

Doug and Phil arrived at mine at around 09:00 and after a brief chat we headed down through the estate to the start at Shrewsbury Sports Village, where we met up with Mark and the approximately 60 others who were taking part. It was mainly a crowd of professional looking roadies on expensive kit, with a sprinkling of slower riders like me, on Hybrids. We registered, attached our numbers to bikes and after a mass photo, we joined the 1st group that were set off.

Preparing for the start
IMG_0909.JPG

We seemed to be with the faster group of riders and got dragged along pretty well for a couple of miles and up the fairly steep climb by Haughmond Hill. It was clear to me that I wouldn't be able to keep that pace for long, but was averaging about 15 mph and doing pretty well compared to what I normally do!

We headed down some familiar roads (the only one's for me on the whole ride) to Shawbury, where a prat in a Silver Corsa pulled out in front of me, forcing me to brake hard :cursing:. As we reached the junction for the main road, there were some of the faster riders coming from the right, which seemed a bit odd.......we would find out why later......

We pressed on well from Shawbury to Wem, despite there being a few hills and then headed towards Ellesmere. There was a stop for a bit of flapjack at Welshampton, where my colleague Mark caught us up and explained the issue of riders coming from the wrong direction. Apparently a load of riders had missed the left turn to Shawbury and had ended up going the wrong way and through High Ercall! Probably added a couple of miles to their route.

The piece between Welshampton and Ellesmere was quite hilly at times, but the legs were feeling good and there were some nice descents as well which included hitting 31 mph :biggrin:. We stopped in Ellesmere at The Boathouse for a bit more food and a comfort stop and it was glorious in the warm sunshine :sun:

@Rickshaw Phil by the Mere
IMG_0910.JPG

Heading out of Ellesmere we joined the main A road towards Wrexham and over the border into Wales. We enjoyed the flat riding along there and were still averaging about 14 mph. That was about to change though, as we reached Overton and turned left, beginning the climb up to St Martins. There were some lengthy climbs up here and we passed one chap walking his bike up one of the hills already, which at about 25 miles in was a little worrying :eek:. There was a refreshment stop provided by the organisers at 30 miles and we were met with friendly greetings from them and fellow cyclists and provided with Flapjack and more water. It was a really good atmosphere and a lot of camaraderie made it a worthwhile stop.

We didn't stop for too long, to avoid legs seizing up and continued the climbing up to St Martins, Gobowen and Whittington, where we were passed by a prat in a Red Corsa (notice the theme?) doing about 70mph in a 40 zone.

Whittington Castle
IMG_0912.JPG

Next landmark was Queens Head, where we passed the very nice pub, resisting temptation for a beer :laugh: and into West Felton, where we finally left the busier roads and joined some welcome lanes to Grimpo, Haughton and Tedsmore. There was a fair bit more climbing then but also a nice downhill into Ruyton Xl Towns. My godparents live there and we slowed as we passed their house and Uncle Mick was stood at the window looking out for us :thumbsup:. He popped out for a chat, which was nice. Mick has a rare form of Stomach Cancer and so it made the ride feel really worthwhile to see him and gave me a boost as I was really flagging by now at 47 miles.

There was a bugger of a climb out of the village and then undulating roads to Baschurch and Myddle, where there was another steep climb :cry:and into Harmer Hill where yet another climb awaited us :surrender:. We stopped for more food and the chap who had been walking arrived at the top of the hill, walking again, but was great to see him persevering with it :thumbsup:

There was only about 8 miles to go though but we joined the very busy A road through Albrighton to Shrewsbury, which wasn't much fun with the amount of traffic and a few close passes. Boosted by being back in Shrewsbury, we cruised nicely along Lancaster Road, but were passed ridiculously closely by a Land Rover when there was no need and headed over the Railway Crossing and back to the Sports Village. We weren't quite finished though, as there was a lap of the Tarmac Track Circuit to do, before we were clapped over the line by the finishers who were already there.

It was great fun, but I was knackered and very saddle sore at the end!

Did it :thumbsup:
IMG_0914.JPG

So did @Rickshaw Phil, Doug and Mark
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0913.JPG

We had a chat to Mark and the organisers before heading back up through the estate to mine, feeling a bit weary by now!

It was good fun, even if there was a lot more main road cycling than I would normally choose to do and it was in aid of a great cause.

Now for the best bit, MY FIRST METRIC CENTURY WAS ACHIEVED :dance:!!!! 62.7 Miles at 12.7 mph avg speed.

IMG_0918.JPG

Mike_P

Guru
Plans were to go somewhere different today but the paintbrush took far longer than expected touching up after having a new bathroom and windows, so it back on the third trip in three days in the shadow of Knabbs Ridge wind farm. Different route through the maze of country lanes, beginning to wonder how nany combinations there are, and from the ridgetop looking the other way is a great view of Nidderdale with the local population in the foreground.
IMAG0246.jpg

Aside from the wind farm the other big feature in the locality is RAF Menwith Hill, which got far more coverage than I would have expected from the TdF helicopters, this is taken from a bridleway through the remains of the Royal Navy Forest Moor wireless station and yes that is Knabbs Ridge wind farm on the right side of the photo
IMAG0247.jpg

As the wind had dropped since Friday and Saturday decided on a westbound dash on the A59 to the tree lined flanks of Fewston reservoir, which is a way of saying it kept out of view., but did get a shot of the other local landmark, the mast at Norwood Edge, with a different type of local resident in shot (and eyeing me suspiciously)
IMAG0251.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom