Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was a beautiful morning to ride to work on; warm and sunny but the rain in the night had added a nice freshness to the air. The hills looked moody again, due to being draped in low cloud this time. Would have made a lovely photo on a camera better than the one I had with me.

I was riding into the sun at the start of the trip so used the tail lights again and it seemed to help this time.

The journey back was against the wind, but it was still nice and sunny, contrary to the local forecast which reckoned I should have ben riding home in the rain. I tried a variation of the longer route this time, going along the bank of the Severn for a while before heading for home. Although almost exactly the same length as the usual long route I use, it seemed to take quite a bit longer (although the weekend was catching up with my legs which may have had more to do with it :whistle:).

21.1 miles for today's round trip at a slower 12.6 mph average.

DSC0001672.jpg

Glorious sunshine over the flood plain at Atcham.

DSC0001674.jpg

One that didn't quite work as well as hoped. I liked the light shining through the leaves at the time of taking the picture.

DSC0001676.jpg

Rowers from Shrewsbury School on the river.

DSC0001677.jpg

Looking in the direction of the English Bridge with Shrewsbury Abbey lurking among the trees.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Having survived a Cub camp over the weekend I spent yesterdays walking day rested, so today the bike came out. Nothing fancy, a steady pedal along Runnymede Pleasureground into Datchet, crossing the Thames at Victoria Bridge
View attachment 57806

As ever, HRH was unavailable for tea, probably sorting the builders out.
View attachment 57807

Out of Windsor towards Ascot, then home through the park as always. 25 miles today, and the sun came out at the end..

Ooh. I forgot, that was my 100th ride this year:smile:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Then we tackled the military road with its climbs ,which were punctuated by Jo constantly asking when we were going to turn left !!!
In my defence, the original conversation went something like this:
Matt: We'll go along this road and then turn left
Me: Is it this left?
No, we'll get to it soon.
This one?
No.
This one?
No, we'll get to it soon.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Stiff neck and aching shoulder this morning, but I was bursting to set a PB. Headed off to Arlingham, then back home to Quedgeley via a little detour to Frampton on Severn to make sure I didn't fall frustratingly short of my distance target. My previous best calendar year total mileage (set last year) was 1,723.7 miles. Today's 27.7 miles got me up to 1,726.4 miles in 2014 so far. I've really got my mojo at the moment, and am in the middle of a sweet spot for cycling. Looks like 2,000 miles should be achievable now. Long may this weather continue.

Nice pleasant sunny(ish) day today, and didn't bust a gut. Plenty of pleasure boaters still out and about on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal, so I got held up at just about every swing bridge today. Lots of wildlife around (squirrels, rabbits, kestrels, quail and pheasants) this morning. Felt a bit guilty at giving one squirrel the shock of his life by sneaking up on it quietly at about 20mph. He squeaked out loud and did a vertical standing jump of about 3 feet before bouncing off at a tangent into the hedgerow!

Cheers. Donger.:hello:

Peteaud

Veteran
After Saturdays nightmare with a pedal test that failed miserably, todays ride was with trusted old pedals.

Headed out of town as normal and through the countryside by he cider Farm.
large.jpg

(The bridge by the Cider Farm)

Crossing the main A303 (remarkably quite today) i headed out over to the start of the southern levels and the moors.

large.jpg

A303

going over to the Cider Brandy farm (we make a lot of cider in these parts) it was tractor after tractor after tractor on the roads. Luckily the roads are still dry and there is not to much mud about.

large.jpg

large.jpg

(looking over to the south levels)

large.jpg

(Cider apples)

large.jpg

(bike shot - note the Ass Saver)

After corssing the levels i decided to investigate a road i have never been down before, mainly due to it being a dead end!

A little bit of history, in the 1980's the road from taunton (M5) and the south coast was a wibbly wobbly road running through villages, the plan was to build a new main road, which they did and resulted in lots of corners being left unused. So from Ilminster to Taunton the old road in places is just dead ends. They are still there, slowly decaying (apart from one part the council re sufaced :banghead:) I used this a was pleased to find i could still get through the gate and across the main road.

full.png

35 miles route.

The Good news, the anti fog muc off stuff for my glasses worked. :smile:
The old pedals are staying, the new ones will be flogged off :ohmy:
The Ass saver is good. ^_^

PS. sorry about the pic quality, i really need a better phone camera.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Warm and pleasant again this morning. I allowed myself a few extra minutes and took a detour through Attingham Park on the way in this time - very nice and I still got to work at about the usual time.

Like yesterday the forecast reckoned I'd be riding home in the rain. Unfortunately today it was right and the heavens opened five minutes after I finished work , just as I was getting ready for the ride home.:dry: Wanting to get back as soon as possible in this weather I headed along the shorter route down the main road. Despite being well lit up I had numerous close passes which wasn't much fun and I was riding against the wind much of the way so I wasn't quick (would have taken even longer on any of the other routes though.)

The rain eased for a bit but came down heavy again as soon as I got to the next main road section. It appears that my waterproofs aren't any more, so a session of reproofing will be needed soon. In addition, my shoes now squelch. Looks like I'm riding in safety boots tomorrow while these dry out.:rolleyes:

19.3 miles round trip at 12.8 mph average today.

DSC0001678.jpg

There are a few big houses round this area. This one is Chilton Grove.

DSC0001680.jpg

Riding the drive through Attingham Park.

DSC0001682.jpg

Attingham. There is work going on at the moment to finally fix a section of the roof that has leaked ever since the house was built.

DSC0001685.jpg

On the way home: I'm getting wet while the Stretton Hills are bathed in sunshine.

DSC0001686.jpg

Looking in the direction I'm headed - there is more rain to come.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Blimey...Todays ride actually posted today! ^_^

Early finish last shift.. Midnight clock off so home and asleep at 01:30 ish..
I'd planned a road ride on the Defy 2, but when I un-alarmed (if there's such a word) the bike shed, the Marin caught my eye and demanded a bit of fresh air... I'm easily pleased, so I re-thought my day and set off towards Brafield and Whiston.

DSC_3222.jpg

Over the fields where the farmer has been kind enough to run a tractor on the line of the bridleway to mark, and flatten the route, to make it easier..

aDSC_3237.jpg

Looks like the barn fell down!

Shortly after crossing Whiston Ford, my front brakes faded badly. I thought the water had got into them as it was quite deep today, but it turned out that the hydraulics had sprung a leak. I rode the rest of the route on rear brakes only in case I cased any damage to the discs..

DSC_3248.jpg

As I was back on tarmac and not quite so worried about needing the front braking, I stopped off at Sywell Aerodrome to watch the planes and helicopters for a while. It was quite busy today. A mate flies from there and has invited me aloft (not a euphemism!) I've not taken up his invitation yet, but |I will as soon as our shifts coincide :thumbsup:

DSC_3252.jpg

Mmmm Coffee. Black and strong: just as I like it! :cuppa:

http://www.strava.com/activities/201838082

:smile:

Spartak