Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Quick blast after tea, glad i took lights as it got dark pretty quick !
http://www.strava.com/activities/202422746

Looking at the weather forcast i think its a car commute tonight as the "hissing it down" is forecast for exactly the time i come out of work around 3am tomorrow morning and i dont fancy dodging puddles and drivers either flooring it from our place or those who might be merry from clubs at the same time.

Dark46

Veteran
As per usual I left the house just knowning I was on the bike and the road ahead. Making the route up as you go along is great as you never know what you are going to see. I first went to the starting point for the KCC and turn left over the humps and decided to go to Naas lane. Then end of Naas lane the choice was easy to go straight under the railway bridge and over the M5, then after the narrow section was the biggest choice left or right. As I was flowing the easiest choice was left down hill , I then thought the club 2 weeks ago went next right up a climb so I thought I would try it . Right I went into Styles lane and I was wrong! It was only a short lane to take me to Edge Hill, so right and climb it was. Nearing the top I saw and heard a familiar sight of one the club going shouting out his car window at me lol . So then down to the outskirts of Painswick and right on to the A46 into Stroud, passing all the traffic that passed me at the end ( love it). So the down into Stroud then choices , so the first roundabout I went straight towards the town centre and over the hump with some nasty pot holes in the road. Then at the next island I went left towards Slad. I know the road in a can but had never been up it on bike , so here I go . Starting to go up hill the parked cars on my side started almost immediately , there was deffinatley more traffic than I was expecting but hay ho. The climb is constant and there are some horrible pot holes as you get up the top towards Fostons Ash and Birdlip. Then the only thought going through my mind was the day before I was saying in the club chat I wanted to go down Air Balloon hill ! For peeps that don't know it it's a long down hi sweeping bend not reay recommended for cyclists as it's really busy and can be considered dangerous. But you have to take some risks to feel ALIVE.! Well the choice was made here I go , hehe. Well so through Birdlip and passed the viewing area and on to the A417. Blimey they we queuing already , artics gallor, luckily there is a nice line on the inside that can be construed as a cycle lane. Well heading down to the roundabout not trying but doing a steady 30 mph I thought no one better better open a door or do something stupid . So I slowed down to 15. Approaching the island I slowed right down and pulled into the traffic behind a pair of women in a Micra , that was a big mistake as she was going down hill with her foot on the brake !COW! Because of the double lane traffic coming the other way there was no way I could even think of overtaking . So I just had to sit behind because this happened at the steepest part of the hill, didn't get to the speed I was looking for and only got to 46.1 mph !! I really wanted to see 50, ( so back to Upton St Leonard's before the weather gets to bad for another attempt) so I came off the dual carriageway on to the A46 and headed to Brockworth. Into Brockworth I turned right on the island and headed to Hucclecoate and Barnwood. That was nice going that way for a change as it was down hill and I've only ever been up there. So down unt Golf club lane , and into Gloucester business park. I then made a mistake in the park and ended up back on the Barnwood road . This is were I made the biggest mistake of the day and headed for the town centre. It went from bad to worse then as every traffic light I got to was Red! This doesn't do wonders for your average speed . So to cut it a bit short after going along Ladybellgate street I turn left into the shared road section and onto Bristol Rd. I get held up by a couple of commuters on their way home but I just wanted to go for it, (not wearing working boots and clothing ) well I got passed a few then on to the home stretch at the lights at the end of Bristol road on to Copeland Pk. To the is jabs and turn right throughout the estate I tried to push but had nothing left to give. Then left into my road and looked at the milage and was thinking I might have to do a quick loop. But just entering the cul de as it clicked to 30 miles and I couldn't have timed it better.
My legs were still aching when I entered the pub 2 hrs later, so I knew I had put enough effort in lol. It was one of my longest rides and my second highest climb in one ride at over 1700 ft so really pleased and set some PB's too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 56

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As per usual I left the house just knowning I was on the bike and the road ahead. Making the route up as you go along is great as you never know what you are going to see. I first went to the starting point for the KCC and turn left over the humps and decided to go to Naas lane. Then end of Naas lane the choice was easy to go straight under the railway bridge and over the M5, then after the narrow section was the biggest choice left or right. As I was flowing the easiest choice was left down hill , I then thought the club 2 weeks ago went next right up a climb so I thought I would try it . Right I went into Styles lane and I was wrong! It was only a short lane to take me to Edge Hill, so right and climb it was. Nearing the top I saw and heard a familiar sight of one the club going shouting out his car window at me lol . So then down to the outskirts of Painswick and right on to the A46 into Stroud, passing all the traffic that passed me at the end ( love it). So the down into Stroud then choices , so the first roundabout I went straight towards the town centre and over the hump with some nasty pot holes in the road. Then at the next island I went left towards Slad. I know the road in a can but had never been up it on bike , so here I go . Starting to go up hill the parked cars on my side started almost immediately , there was deffinatley more traffic than I was expecting but hay ho. The climb is constant and there are some horrible pot holes as you get up the top towards Fostons Ash and Birdlip. Then the only thought going through my mind was the day before I was saying in the club chat I wanted to go down Air Balloon hill ! For peeps that don't know it it's a long down hi sweeping bend not reay recommended for cyclists as it's really busy and can be considered dangerous. But you have to take some risks to feel ALIVE.! Well the choice was made here I go , hehe. Well so through Birdlip and passed the viewing area and on to the A417. Blimey they we queuing already , artics gallor, luckily there is a nice line on the inside that can be construed as a cycle lane. Well heading down to the roundabout not trying but doing a steady 30 mph I thought no one better better open a door or do something stupid . So I slowed down to 15. Approaching the island I slowed right down and pulled into the traffic behind a pair of women in a Micra , that was a big mistake as she was going down hill with her foot on the brake !COW! Because of the double lane traffic coming the other way there was no way I could even think of overtaking . So I just had to sit behind because this happened at the steepest part of the hill, didn't get to the speed I was looking for and only got to 46.1 mph !! I really wanted to see 50, ( so back to Upton St Leonard's before the weather gets to bad for another attempt) so I came off the dual carriageway on to the A46 and headed to Brockworth. Into Brockworth I turned right on the island and headed to Hucclecoate and Barnwood. That was nice going that way for a change as it was down hill and I've only ever been up there. So down unt Golf club lane , and into Gloucester business park. I then made a mistake in the park and ended up back on the Barnwood road . This is were I made the biggest mistake of the day and headed for the town centre. It went from bad to worse then as every traffic light I got to was Red! This doesn't do wonders for your average speed . So to cut it a bit short after going along Ladybellgate street I turn left into the shared road section and onto Bristol Rd. I get held up by a couple of commuters on their way home but I just wanted to go for it, (not wearing working boots and clothing ) well I got passed a few then on to the home stretch at the lights at the end of Bristol road on to Copeland Pk. To the is jabs and turn right throughout the estate I tried to push but had nothing left to give. Then left into my road and looked at the milage and was thinking I might have to do a quick loop. But just entering the cul de as it clicked to 30 miles and I couldn't have timed it better.
My legs were still aching when I entered the pub 2 hrs later, so I knew I had put enough effort in lol. It was one of my longest rides and my second highest climb in one ride at over 1700 ft so really pleased and set some PB's too.
Nice !
Paragraphs please though :smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My 101st ride this year, and once the sun came out so did I. Lacking motivation once again, so a couple of laps of WGP and home. 23 miles was enough for me today.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The last day of my current booking for temp work. The temperature was borderline for shorts (by my standards) so I played it safe and went for the trousers - the right call I think. Being ready early I decided to head to work via the longer route I sometimes do of an evening. It was great for the first half - down hill and wilh the wind behind me so I was cruising along quite quickly.

Slightly miffed that on the path by Sundorne I thanked a lady for standing aside to let me through and at the exact same moment I ran through the pile of poo her dog had left.xx(

At Uffington I turned into the wind and everything changed. No more speeding along with no effort and the climb to Downton was particularly slow meaning I lost all the time I'd gained on my wind assisted section.

Having done my work (but not having completely cleared the backlog that they wanted help with - I may be asked back again to do more with that) I headed for home. THis eveing was odd. I could tell that the wind was pretty strong (Met office says 17 gusting 29 mph) but it never felt like I was riding against it at any point when I should have been.

There was plenty of traffic about and I think I lost about 10 minutes waiting at junctions for my turn this time. Worst was the Wenlock road - a crop sprayer trying to cross from the the other way had clearly been waiting a while when I got there and the driver gave me a grin and a shrug of the shoulders.

Despite being the end of the week the legs felt quite strong and I even managed a sprint (well, as much as as is possible on an 18kg bike plus luggage) into the village at the end of the trip.

21.1 miles for the round trip at 13 mph average. This brings it up to 175.7 miles for the last six days - not too shabby and I might stay off the bike tomorrow.;)

DSC0001688.jpg

The cows have been moved into the field across the road. Hope they like pylons.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
. ........Because of the double lane traffic coming the other way there was no way I could even think of overtaking . So I just had to sit behind because this happened at the steepest part of the hill, didn't get to the speed I was looking for and only got to 46.1 mph !! I really wanted to see 50............, .

Another spectacular sterling effort from @Dark46. The KCC's very own Eddie Kidd tribute act really does descend like that. I tried to follow him down through Pitchcombe once and through Upton St Leonards another time. Both times he disappeared over the horizon within seconds, leaving me with white knuckles from braking, and a bad case of the jitters.

Mike_P

Guru
Having spent yesterday off work waiting till mid afternoon for my boiler to be serviced and then had some shopping to do I was definately itching to get out on the bike today and the opportunity arose quicker than expected when City Links web site indicated that my new bathroom blind would not be delivered until 1533-1733 (why 33 not 30 ?) so it was out on the normalish route with a major variation, a windy day again so I decided to go clockwise rather than anti clockwise. Not a favourite option as the anti clockwise route includes a very fast downgrade finish whereas the clockwise version starts with a lengthy upgrade stretch and a granny gear climb at the 19km mark on the way back, one of those annoying hills that seems gradual to start of with and gets steeper without any obviously identifible changes in grade other than you realising that a lower gear is urgently needed.Todays anticlockwise route is the top of the two gradient profiles, a clockwise version (with some route differences) below it. The approach to the above hill is from a different direction to todays descent from it.
topo.jpg

The last hill on todays route is one I do not normally tackle, but decided on it as a wind avoidance measure!
Went out with both my fixed wire 8 function computer and the wireless 20 function from Rutland ebay 10 quid. Surprised that the wireless one reacts quicker to speed changes.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Forty seven miles and 3,100 feet of ascent from Ribblehead Station to Northallerton Station and four miles from from Leeds Station to home.

I took my Dave Yates' Randonneur out for a spin as it hasn't had much use this year. I headed for Hawes as per usually and had every intention to continue along the A-whatever to Northallerton. I stopped in Hawes to pick up some Coca Cola and headed for Bainbridge where I'd spotted a pie selling butchers two weeks earlier. Sadly he only had steak and kidney and chicken and mushroom pies on sale and I made do with a steak and kidney pie - nothing to get excited about. I was just about to set off when a cyclist approached me and introduced himself as Les Caygill from Caygill cycles in Richmond and he suggested that I follow him onto a quieter road through Aysgarth.

We cycled and chatted together for a couple of miles before he accelerated away from me up a long drag. I enjoyed the alternative route despite the climbs because it offered more stunning views along Wensleydale. I stopped to get my breath back at Redmire station before heading to Leyburn for cake and a short break at Bedale where I was spotted by @Pale Rider. I might even had spotted him but who's to know.

Uneventful finish to Northallerton then home to Leeds by train where I was accosted by a gorgeous young ex-colleague of mine and give two big sloppy kisses.

A perfect end to a perfect day.

10334236_10152768137223330_3355398337562807098_n.jpg

The disappointing butcher's in Bainbridge.

10702026_10152768137408330_4599112744916779098_n.jpg

The disappointing pie from the disappointing butcher's

10626572_10152768137693330_4339852760821818551_n.jpg

Castle Bolton

10438139_10152768137923330_5933770706301325547_n.jpg

The orange bike spotted by @Pale Rider.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've not been riding much, we are moving house next week so we've been busy with all the shite that goes with that.. However I did get side tracked by a bothersome mechanical situation with the 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears on my Dawes Kingpin, so i did some more research and some fettling whilst riding the bike round the village, and back for a fettle then a ride then and a fettle and so on. After a couple of hours of this I am pleased to report that I got the gears and bike running as it should be.

So it took it for a little celebratory lap of honour around the village and to show the bike to a friend of mine who had not yet seen it. Just as I got to his house I got a puncture, a blow out. Bollix! I had to walk it back home.

Oh well. Still, the bike runs great now I'm very happy.

IMG_0052.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom