Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Quite how I am here typing this is mystifying me as for the second time this year (I was hit in February) I have had a nasty experience at a roundabout! :eek:

The screenshot below would be drivers view & I was going straight across from the right in daylight, on a white bike, in a red jacket & with a bright flashing front light & no other cars around so how the f*** could he/she not see me!!!!!

I saw the car (a maroon Ford Focus) approaching the roundabout to my left & was travelling with a tailwind at around 15-20 mph. To my right was clear so I had no reason to stop & only slowed a little, which is probably just as well, as half way across I realised the moron wasn't going to stop & as I got my front wheel across him I braced for impact on the back wheel but somehow I made it & let out more than a few choice words!

Other than that :whistle:, it was a fairly nondescript 26 miles around a windy New Forest with the added bonus of finding my new dhb Thinsulate winter gloves had been delivered by the postie so I live to ride another day!

http://www.strava.com/activities/230543416

upload_2014-12-18_15-59-21.png

The scene of the crime!!

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
For various reasons too long to go into here, I didn't get out for a long ride, today. I did, however, fit in three 3milers on the #3 The Hybrid.

1. Trip to a clinic for some physio on my upper back and neck. (Which meant cycling down, and then back up, on the return, one of the steepest hills in Ipswich.)

2. Shortly afterwards retracing my ride to search for a lost wallet. (I found it on the floor in the bathroom - hurrah!)

3. Trip to Sainsbury's to seek out free-range piggy streaky-bacon for Christmas dinner, only to have the wind blow a whopping piece of polystyrene, presumably from someone's TV packaging, under my front wheel while I was doing about 25-30 mph. Instead of being pitched over the bars as I belatedly grabbed at handfuls of brake, I smashed through as though imitating Starsky and Hutch. Quite an amazing sound!

Still can't believe what a day I've had. ^_^

sgl5gjr

A quick 5 miler Thursday evening with only one of the Wheelers..... found several cycleways still blighted from wet leaves, so my reports to the council have been ignored as usual.... 9.6 average and 18.9 mph max on MTB's and cycleways.....
Plenty of nutty drivers out there (as per usual from Nov 17th to Dec 24th) not watching others and especially cyclists...... Mild evening at 13c but a blustery headwind....Next ride will be Sunday morning with the teen on roadies......
Just a quick RIP for a fellow local cyclist who sadly died of his injuries while cycling between the Cambridgeshire villages of Sutton & Earith..... Graham Shaw was just 29 years old and a local lad to us, he was hit from the rear by a coach (both going the same direction) at 3pm this last Tuesday.....

at the time it was Dry, bright and little wind to speak of..... with the coach going the same direction the proportioning of blame for the death/accident/collision points to the driver not the cyclist.....
Knowing of the road leads me to say...... how would a coach hit a cyclist on an open fen road with no buildings etc for distractions..... its like an open exposed road between 2 villages with nothing but ditches either side, no hedges etc........

RIP Graham... and to the rest of us....

Take Care Out There....

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
With Christmas approaching at warp speed, time was running out to get my imperial century for December done, so took today off work to do it.

Set off at 05:30, roads very wet, but it was very warm and the strong wind being forecast all week didn't seem to have made an appearance, but it turned out it was just hiding further up the road waiting to pounce on me. First 30 odd miles were bliss, then I turned into the headwind and for the majority of the next 50 miles I battled against it. Stayed warm all the way round and once it came up the sun kept me company all the way around as well - good job I had my cap on as at times it was blinding.

Had the joy of watching an owl fly along in front of me for probably only a few seconds, but it was a great sight.

Also spotted another bird of prey perched in a tree as well. I'll say a kestrel, no idea if it was or not.

Gave a tow to an older chap as he had dropped off the back of his group, got him back to them just before they stopped at a cafe. I suspect he could have got back by himself but it gave him and me the opportunity to have a chat and also a breather for me as I sat at the back of their group for half a mile or so once we had caught them.

Today's ride means I've completed the imperial century a month challenge (and by default the metric one as well.) It also took me to 19,000 miles for the year and 35,000 since I started logging my miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/230778550

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just in from a nice wee 21.5 mile loop.

The plan was to meet Hubster from Dialysis today and to go the pretty route. I was late out of the door as our little JRT decided to go squirrelling in the woods and danced about out of arms reach when it was time to go home.
When home again I managed to get my right thermal sock back off the puppy only to then have to chase him around the living room as he'd nicked my buff. Finally I had cycling longs on, thermal socks on, a fleece jumper, light gloves and mitts in had. Helmet, aftershokz, phone, gps etc. In reality, most of my stuff lives in my helmet on the bookshelf so I don't have to scrap about for it. Ready to go and heading for the door. Then I went back to the front bedroom and got my bike:banghead:

Onwards, up our road and heading for Bowthorpe and not feeling the love. From Bowthorpe I headed for Bawburgh and turned right at the bottom of the hill and slogged up the other side and headed off to Marlingford. That Marlingford to Barford to Barnham Broome road is a funny road as it was built by Escher. It doesn't matter what way you ride along it, it always feels up hill. Going into the wind didn't help. It's a road that I know well as I used to live in Barford and rode along it often. It was nice to see the sheep in the fields, and the rabbits too. Nearly got totalled by some old fart towing a grockle box just 25 yards from the turning to the Caravan Club Certified Site. He swore at me. Not quite as much as I swore at him though. He tried overtake, then backed off and then had another go. There was not enough room to overtake but he was desperate to beat me to the turning. I must have ruined his Christmas break by holding him up for 20 seconds or so. Dozy old get.

Anyway, onwards up the never ending upwards slope to Barnham Broome then I turned left up Spar Road rather than ride to the Bell and turn there as I didn't fancy the lovely downhill followed by the horrible uphill again. I crossed the main Watton Road eventually and rode off down to Carleton Forehoe on that nice bit of road, which is a bit muddy but a gentle downhill. I turned left on the Barnham Broome Road and headed to Wymondham. It's the same road that I would have been on had I gone the other route but without slogging uphill again. I was getting fed up with going uphill by now.

At the top (and I mean at the top - another bloody hill) of BB Road, I reached Tuttles Lane, Wymondham and had a lovely and much faster spin along there to the Norwich Road roundabout and then followed it to Hethersett then to the A11 roundabouts where I go under the A47, along to Eaton. All of this is a very gentle downhill. I lose about 90 feet along that nice 6 mile bit. From there I rode along Bluebell Road (more uphill) and then home, after a quick tour of our estate to make up the extra mile. I overcooked it by 800 yards but that was OK.

21.51 miles in 1:45:04 and climbed 424 feet although it felt like more (Don't laugh all of you who live in hilly areas and climb that getting the papers on a Sunday). I averaged 12.3mph and had a good time. I was a bit tired when I got in. Now on 2nd cup of tea. 61.35 miles to goal and nearly 2 weeks to do it in. Lets hope for some cycling weather - vaguely dry will do for me.

BrynCP

Über Member
Being off work, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to revisit the "climbs" that I haven't done since summer when it was light enough on the evenings to do these pitch black routes.

I set off thinking I'd do two, but couldn't resist descending to do a third:
  • Woodgates Lane, North Ferriby
  • Elloughton Dale
  • Brantingham Dale
I haven't listed Kidd Lane as a climb, being it's fairly short, but it's always hard on the legs!

I got a personal best on part of Brantingham, but the others, although they felt much easier, were slower. I did stop early on up Elloughton though as I saw a dead deer in the trees just beside the road, and I didn't even know there were Deer here, but it reminded me of the video that has been posted recently!

Bizarrely, despite a 20mph head wind for the first few miles, it was a really nice day: the sun was out, but not so low it was in my eyes all the time, the roads were practically bone dry and the temperature fairly mild. None of the roads were around any busy shopping areas and all the traffic seemed fairly calm and patient, especially the poor car that followed me up the last part of Brantingham Dale!

I did 29.2 miles in 2 hours 1 minute, 1768ft elevation:

upload_2014-12-19_13-55-48.png

Last edited:

Spartak