Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gordyfinbar

Über Member
In the 6 years I have been cycling, there have been a fair number of tough days. 100km+ Audaxes, big mountains climbed, floods, ice and blustery winds ...etc. But in all that time I don't think I've ever felt quite so nackered as I did when I dragged my sorry backside home today after a 44 miler. It was a Kingsway CC ride, and although there were only 8 of us, the peloton was loaded with some of our strongest (and quickest) riders, and there was a stiff wind blowing today. As usual, I was both the oldest and by far the heaviest in the group.

We headed off out through Stonehouse to Cam and onwards via North Nibley to Wotton under Edge. Up and down, up and down, over and over again ....and this was just us heading out to where the big hills started.:eek:.

After Wotton under Edge, we turned back Northwards and up a huge hill with a "10%" sign that went on forever. I gritted my teeth and kept counting to 100 until it was over. Everyone waited for me at the crest, and we carried on over the top towards Horsley and Nailsworth. At last some respite. With a strong following wind we kept up an effortless 20-25mph for a few miles until we came down into Nailsworth. After a bit of unpleasant bumpy A road into Stroud, then came the killer blow. One last, mean, vicious, sonofabitch hill up from Cainscross through Randwick and up to the back of Haresfield Beacon from the South. The stretch between Randwick Church and the pub about 4-500 yards further up was excruciating at the end of a wind-affected and hilly ride, and so steep that I kept pulling wheelies. At one point I was convinced that every turn of the pedals was going to be the last I would be capable of. Somehow I kept going, at times grinding my way up in ugly fashion as slow as 2.5 mph. They were waiting for me at the top ... a sorry sight... Last place by a distance, but not broken.:heat:

Then followed a scary descent down Horsepools Hill with the remnants of my brakepads squealing all the way but not actually slowing me down in the wet . Flopped onto the bed as soon as I got home, then made a long, hot bath last until the water started to turn cold. Nearly recovered now, but Jeez that was tough! @maltloaf 's Garmin said we'd done 2,871 feet of climbing. I can believe it. Just one more of my standard 20 milers needed to hit my 2,400 mile target now, which has blown away my previous PB by nearly 700 miles. Couldn't have done it without the Kingsway CC constantly pushing me to new limits.

Happy Christmas everybody, and an active cycling New Year. Cheers, Donger.

I find it hard to comprehend how you do it sometimes . You've 10 years on me and 20 on most of the others yet I've only ever seen you beaten by 1 hill and you were not alone that day . The headwind was a beast today and on several occasions I witnessed riders sheltering in your wheel . It was a pretty strong group out today and I felt pretty worn out by the time I reached home . Some lovely scenery , some great hard earned descents ( down through Horseley in particular ) and good company too.
Be great to see you on Tuesday night if you make it before the end . If not have a happy Christmas and prosperous new year .
Gordon

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Though not a ride day today, my lad missed the bread run yesterday so I suggested we have a short amble out this morning instead. Took the opportunity to give the new bike a test. So, nice clean, shiny new bike, where shall we go? Monks Walk, somewhat muddy. Needless to say the bike is clean no more:smile:. Boardman CX Team, spent the last few evenings putting together. Changed the BB5 calipers to BB7's, tyres to Schwalbe Land Cruisers and fitted a Charge Spoon. The brakes are interesting, in so much as they don't work so well, (I've been spoilt with hydraulic Shimano discs), but from all I've read they will improve after bedding in the pads. Certainly they were better after 10 miles with a good few hard stops thrown in, so I'll be patient. Brakes aside, a good ride out, and I think the bike is going to become a favourite. Not the best pic, came out a bit fuzzy for some reason..
21 Dec 2014 Boardman CX Team At Monks Walk.jpg

Parts of that sound so much like my recent commuting routes, from Stockton (near Southam) into Cov. Some lovely routes round there.

Over in South Cambs it's mild but windy, and we've just done the shortest Sunday club ride of the year, but it was a very sociable ride with everyone in a good mood and it was just nice to be out, as it (almost) always is.
Not Waresley by any chance? That was where I always took the club ride when we wanted a shorter route, oh and the cakes are/were pretty good too.
We went out and braved the wind like so many others did on this the shortest day. The only problem was me, grumpy as a grumpy thing because I was still recovering from the lurgy and way below par, not necessarily a good position to adopt when dr_pink is out on her best bike. The upshot of these factors meant I was eating the proverbial dust, I nearly felt sorry for the mamil that overtook us leading into a climb. I gave her the nod and off she went, the result being inevitable, not that I could see it, too busy pedalling squares.
In my current condition I was quite chuffed to get 42 miles done.
Nearly home, 2 miles to go and I hope the maid has run my bath.
DF2EAAC5-F809-4D71-8D9B-212AD776DFDA_zpsyhgqjv1h.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My final ride of 2014.

I began by adjusting the saddle, due to experiencing knee problems on my previous 2 rides. @Rickshaw Phil had given me some pointers in the pub last night and sure enough I had the saddle set far more forward than it should have been. Pushed it back a good inch or so and it seemed much better as I headed off on virtually the same route I did last weekend.

There was a brutal Westerly wind and it was straight into it as I crawled along the cycle paths, passing a smash at Heathgates, where a chap had stuffed his Range Rover up the back end of a Fiesta.

I called in to see this week's progress on my new house and it's come on really well, with roof done, windows and door in place and scaffolding down!

View attachment 74859

View attachment 74860

I then climbed Lyth Hill and through the water hazards, dropping down to have dinner with Dad.

I then headed for Longnor, Acton Burnell and past Concord College. It's a bit bigger than my house!

View attachment 74861

I put a bit of deviation in from last week's ride, by turning down through Acton Piggott and then braved the Ford, which was fairly deep, but passable on the bike....just! and up onto Cound Moor.

I then dropped down to Cressage and the bloody pain in my knee started again. It seems to be happening at about 20 miles into rides and is very painful once it starts.

I didn't enjoy the remainder of the ride through Wroxeter, Upton Forge, Upton Magna and Uffington. Knee was hurting and the wind had strengthened even further, so much so that at times I was doing 4mph on the flat, into it!

Going to have to shorten my rides for a while and give the knee a proper rest I think.

35.9 miles at 11.0 mph avg
1155 ft of climbing
Total mileage for 2014 of 1789 miles.
A like for the report but :sad: for the knee. I hope a bit of rest will help it.

robjh

Legendary Member
Not Waresley by any chance? That was where I always took the club ride when we wanted a shorter route, oh and the cakes are/were pretty good too.
No, Hare Street this time, the March Hare café which is a new one on me - not to be confused with the other place at Hare Street that opens once a month, has a large rhea in the garden and gets overwhelmed if more than 6 people order at once. The March Hare's cakes were good and Mrs T did us proud by ringing ahead so that our table was waiting when we arrived.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
An excellent Saturday night put the kibosh on a planned early start 40 miler today, and so headed out late morning for what turned out to be 22 miles. A bit of an experiment this, as I usually do loops that hardly ever return on the same roads if I can avoid it, but today I went into the headwind to Raydon (the wind particularly strong across the old WW2 airfield) and returned on the same roads. It was essentially two perspectives on Suffolk for the price of one.
The other experiment was a pocket of dates to nibble on. They are now my new bike-ride nibble of choice. :thumbsup:

This dullish picture taken between Raydon and Coddenham (and a clutch of horse riders, including one young girl wearing an elf hat over her rider's hat). The clouds on the horizon were being blown along at some pace. As was I. :smile:

Horses for courses 001.JPG

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks topcat1, rb58 and Sunday London ride debutante Gordon P .
It was cold this morning and dark, it was a struggle to get up and out of the door for 7.30am, but glad I did. South East London's roads can sometimes be a pleasure to ride when there is very little traffic. Which meant a very quick ride to Hyde Park. I was early so did a couple of loops of the park. Hyde Park is simply great for cycling on a Sunday. A nice dedicated cycle lane to have a pootle and some nice quiet roads and a fantastic closed roads.

Got to Wellington Arch for exactly 9am to see Ross and Gordon waiting. We waited a while and Dave turned up and waited a little more to see if any others would. But no.. so we mounted up and headed off. We weren't sure if the View Tube at the Olympic Park was open but we headed for it anyway. After all these years of cycling with Gordon i didn't realise that he lived near Mile End, on the route of many a FNR :smile:

A cut through the very nice Victoria Park and on to the Greenway, we were soon at the View Tube, and it was open.
Great friendly service and great reasonably priced food made for a very pleasant 40 minutes.

Free Christmas Crackers included.
2014-12-21-10-25-11-jpg.74864.jpg

Dave's awesome looking, gut busting, Apple Pie and ice cream,
2014-12-21-10-24-35-jpg.74863.jpg

And back out into the cold and grey. saying cheerio to Ross, it was time for a visit to the Olympic Park. Once again, those looking for traffic free, hassle free cycling, this is the place to do it. They have done a fantastic job with the place, not just for cyclists but for the public in general. There really is something for everyone.
2014-12-21-10-52-13-jpg.74865.jpg

2014-12-21-11-04-36-jpg.74866.jpg

2014-12-21-11-03-35-jpg.74867.jpg

Here we said goodbye to Gordon which left just myself and Dave to discover some more of the park. It was then decided to head to Trinity Bhoy's Wharf to visit Fat Boy's Diner. We got there in the end, east London's roads being a bit of a mish mash.

Dave is the new LongMartin... we cycled past this on the way in and Dave didn't see it... "what taxi?"
2014-12-21-12-35-41-jpg.74869.jpg

At Fat Boy's a cappuccino for each and a nice chat with the new proprietor, who promised that there will be a new improved menu on the way.
Back into the east London wasteland heading west back into the smoke. On the way witnessing one of the worst pieces of driving I have seen in many a month. Car from far lane cutting across another, left hooking a caB and nearly taking out a lady cyclist in one quick move, beeping as if it was other peoples fault. A Tosspot of the highest order.

I left Dave at the Oval as he headed one way and I headed the other.. to home.
71 miles for the day. It was a bit cold but the cycling kept me warm.

Thanks guys. I think we have all forgotten how good these Sunday London Rides are. So let's get these going again, at least once a month.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
In the 6 years I have been cycling, there have been a fair number of tough days. 100km+ Audaxes, big mountains climbed, floods, ice and blustery winds ...etc. But in all that time I don't think I've ever felt quite so nackered as I did when I dragged my sorry backside home today after a 44 miler. It was a Kingsway CC ride, and although there were only 8 of us, the peloton was loaded with some of our strongest (and quickest) riders, and there was a stiff wind blowing today. As usual, I was both the oldest and by far the heaviest in the group.

We headed off out through Stonehouse to Cam and onwards via North Nibley to Wotton under Edge. Up and down, up and down, over and over again ....and this was just us heading out to where the big hills started.:eek:.

After Wotton under Edge, we turned back Northwards and up a huge hill with a "10%" sign that went on forever. I gritted my teeth and kept counting to 100 until it was over. Everyone waited for me at the crest, and we carried on over the top towards Horsley and Nailsworth. At last some respite. With a strong following wind we kept up an effortless 20-25mph for a few miles until we came down into Nailsworth. After a bit of unpleasant bumpy A road into Stroud, then came the killer blow. One last, mean, vicious, sonofabitch hill up from Cainscross through Randwick and up to the back of Haresfield Beacon from the South. The stretch between Randwick Church and the pub about 4-500 yards further up was excruciating at the end of a wind-affected and hilly ride, and so steep that I kept pulling wheelies. At one point I was convinced that every turn of the pedals was going to be the last I would be capable of. Somehow I kept going, at times grinding my way up in ugly fashion as slow as 2.5 mph. They were waiting for me at the top ... a sorry sight... Last place by a distance, but not broken.:heat:

Then followed a scary descent down Horsepools Hill with the remnants of my brakepads squealing all the way but not actually slowing me down in the wet . Flopped onto the bed as soon as I got home, then made a long, hot bath last until the water started to turn cold. Nearly recovered now, but Jeez that was tough! @maltloaf 's Garmin said we'd done 2,871 feet of climbing. I can believe it. Just one more of my standard 20 milers needed to hit my 2,400 mile target now, which has blown away my previous PB by nearly 700 miles. Couldn't have done it without the Kingsway CC constantly pushing me to new limits.

I know the 10% hill out of Wotton well :sad:
Respect for being out in today's murky conditions !

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
6.8 miles today, new personal bests on a short loop. Hopefully improve times on Christmas Eve and Day, see what weather the weekend brings. Grey weather, but almost bright. What we call a "Tupperware Sky" can persist for many days running this time of year. Days will now get longer, something we can all be happy about.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Evening all.
First things first: I know that he's not all gussied up but figured that you'd all want a pic and thought that it would save on being reminded.
DSCF7456.jpg

We got home at gone 6pm and needed to do a bit of work on the new bike. We removed the 46cm handlebars and replaced with the 42s off my Giant Defy, that I bought off @vickster an age ago. They are still going strong Vickster. We also swapped out the SPDs that were on there for other SPDs as they were so tight - even when fully adjusted loose - I couldn't actually clip in. I didn't bother swapping the seat today, it's got a San Marco on it at the moment, which is reasonably comfy. The bar tape is a right state, having been removed and then put back. I'll get new tape tomorrow when I ride down to the city. We put 2 front lights on, 1 rear light, some little flashy lights and a bottle cage and off I went to visit our Mark, to deliver his card and pressie as they were urgent, honestly they were :rolleyes:

I didn't go far. Down our road then pressed the garmin at a nice safe distance. Down Marlpit Lane and right onto Marriotts Way and directly to Mark's house, near the puppet theatre. While there I delivered pressie and said that his proper one will be along in a day or two, drank 2 cups of tea, fussed the dogs and had a nice natter. I mentioned to Mark that I had sold the MTB and that the Giant roadie was for sale. He asked how much and we settled on a mutually agreeable price and he paid me via the interweb, there and then. We'll take the bike tomorrow morning. Then off to Evans to get him some new cycling shoes. He's quite used to SPDs. I'll drop heavy hints about CC tomorrow.

Then I cycled home again. I walked for the first hundred yards or so, alongside Mark and his gorgeous hounds and then cycled home again and went up Marlpit Lane and then home.

Tonight was a whopping 6.18 miles in total in a little over half an hour. Bike seems really quick compared with the MTB. It was really windy out so I didn't go mad, also blasting along the cyclepath in the pitch black, even with lights, didn't seem a really good idea. He is lovely though. Going to call him Eric.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Thanks topcat1, rb58 and Sunday London ride debutante Gordon P .
It was cold this morning and dark, it was a struggle to get up and out of the door for 7.30am, but glad I did. South East London's roads can sometimes be a pleasure to ride when there is very little traffic. Which meant a very quick ride to Hyde Park. I was early so did a couple of loops of the park. Hyde Park is simply great for cycling on a Sunday. A nice dedicated cycle lane to have a pootle and some nice quiet roads and a fantastic closed roads.

Got to Wellington Arch for exactly 9am to see Ross and Gordon waiting. We waited a while and Dave turned up and waited a little more to see if any others would. But no.. so we mounted up and headed off. We weren't sure if the View Tube at the Olympic Park was open but we headed for it anyway. After all these years of cycling with Gordon i didn't realise that he lived near Mile End, on the route of many a FNR :smile:

A cut through the very nice Victoria Park and on to the Greenway, we were soon at the View Tube, and it was open.
Great friendly service and great reasonably priced food made for a very pleasant 40 minutes.

Free Christmas Crackers included.
2014-12-21-10-25-11-jpg.74864.jpg

Dave's awesome looking, gut busting, Apple Pie and ice cream,
2014-12-21-10-24-35-jpg.74863.jpg

And back out into the cold and grey. saying cheerio to Ross, it was time for a visit to the Olympic Park. Once again, those looking for traffic free, hassle free cycling, this is the place to do it. They have done a fantastic job with the place, not just for cyclists but for the public in general. There really is something for everyone.
2014-12-21-10-52-13-jpg.74865.jpg

2014-12-21-11-04-36-jpg.74866.jpg

2014-12-21-11-03-35-jpg.74867.jpg

Here we said goodbye to Gordon which left just myself and Dave to discover some more of the park. It was then decided to head to Trinity Bhoy's Wharf to visit Fat Boy's Diner. We got there in the end, east London's roads being a bit of a mish mash.

Dave is the new LongMartin... we cycled past this on the way in and Dave didn't see it... "what taxi?"
2014-12-21-12-35-41-jpg.74869.jpg

At Fat Boy's a cappuccino for each and a nice chat with the new proprietor, who promised that there will be a new improved menu on the way.
Back into the east London wasteland heading west back into the smoke. On the way witnessing one of the worst pieces of driving I have seen in many a month. Car from far lane cutting across another, left hooking a caB and nearly taking out a lady cyclist in one quick move, beeping as if it was other peoples fault. A Tosspot of the highest order.

I left Dave at the Oval as he headed one way and I headed the other.. to home.
71 miles for the day. It was a bit cold but the cycling kept me warm.

Thanks guys. I think we have all forgotten how good these Sunday London Rides are. So let's get these going again, at least once a month.

We drove right past here today. I pointed out The Pringle to Hubster who agreed that it looked 'just like it'. I insisted that it was The Pringle then pointed to the tall red sculpture thingy. Then we missed going straight on and went left-ish instead and got a bit lost. We turned around somewhere that looked very much like your last picture. We would have stopped for a look see but didn't have the time.

maltloaf

I find it hard to comprehend how you do it sometimes . You've 10 years on me and 20 on most of the others yet I've only ever seen you beaten by 1 hill and you were not alone that day . The headwind was a beast today and on several occasions I witnessed riders sheltering in your wheel . It was a pretty strong group out today and I felt pretty worn out by the time I reached home . Some lovely scenery , some great hard earned descents ( down through Horseley in particular ) and good company too.
Be great to see you on Tuesday night if you make it before the end . If not have a happy Christmas and prosperous new year .
Gordon

Cracking ride today chaps. I love the adventure feel of KCC rides, riding on my own I used to do the same little loops and flat sections but now they are all undiscovered country, more hills than I've ever done and with a brilliant bunch of lads and lasses.

Donger you push a massive gear and just keep motoring on. It's mightily impressive. I too was pulling wheelies on that ascent (which was 17% for a section) and somehow managed to keep going.

I got home today, had a long hot shower and struggled to get warm but all the time elated that I had been out with you lot today. Great stuff and here's to more of the same !

gordyfinbar

Über Member
Cracking ride today chaps. I love the adventure feel of KCC rides, riding on my own I used to do the same little loops and flat sections but now they are all undiscovered country, more hills than I've ever done and with a brilliant bunch of lads and lasses.

Donger you push a massive gear and just keep motoring on. It's mightily impressive. I too was pulling wheelies on that ascent (which was 17% for a section) and somehow managed to keep going.

I got home today, had a long hot shower and struggled to get warm but all the time elated that I had been out with you lot today. Great stuff and here's to more of the same !
You still awake Kev ? Am I not the only insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom