Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Given as how I decided to chase down 5000 miles for the year a fortnight ago (and it doesn't look good for finding time to nip out for the next few days), I decided to make the most of the opportunity and I did a 30 miler to Wickham Market and back. The sun and tailwind was lovely! And then I turned for home ... :whistle:

This on the way to Clopton.

Tractors and Christmas 002.JPG

This of Charsfield Church. (The village used as the setting for the novel of Suffolk rural life, Akenfield: Portrait of a Suffolk Village.)

Tractors and Christmas 003.JPG

And this on the way into Wickham Market.

Tractors and Christmas 004.JPG

Attachments

• Tractors and Christmas 001.JPG
    Tractors and Christmas 001.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 33

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Today's run headwinds and impatient drivers....nearly had a head on with someone who got peed off sitting behind a tractor...anyone local to stirling will know the road between stirling and Kippen always has some kind of farm vehicle on it.....anyway if the guy didn't see me he clearly also didn't see the car behind me who screeched his brakes and belted his horn then flagged me down a mile or so later to see if I was ok...anyway here's the ride

http://www.strava.com/activities/232063688

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A lovely windblown 16 miler here today in the flatlands. Mrs G bought me a gadget called a Siva Atom, for my birthday in August, that you attach to your rear wheel and it allows you to charge phones/ GPS devices and lights using pedal power as a kind of a dynamo. It only arrived yesterday so I headed out to give it a go.

I've not got the cable sorted properly yet but this is the gist of it..

image.jpg

You then slide the charger bit out after the ride to charge gadgets like this..

image.jpg

I had been worried it wouldn't fit due to my pannier rack, but it did and it works a treat. An hours riding has fully charged my phone and front light. Not bad at all and you can also charge things as you go along as well. So far so good, I just hope it's as waterproof as they say it is!

Today's route was fairly typical for me though I took in a place called Lode to visit a new farm shop. Then out along the Lodes Way to near Wicken. At Reach Lode bridge the waterway looked great in the sunshine...

image.jpg

Didn't see a soul for ages- the whole of Burwell Fen was deserted apart from lots of deer. From Burwell Lode I watched a barn owl hunt, while being antagonised by crows. I sat in my favourite spot and enjoyed a brew from the flask. The cloud cover with only a small gap for the sun to peer through led to some interesting light..

image.jpg

Back home into the wind which has been relentless for days now. I struggled to reach 10 mph, but not being in a hurry, it wasn't really a problem. Now time for some present wrapping- which I'd been putting off all day.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Crikes it was windy this morning! 25 miles in what seemed a permanent headwind, taking in Stanwell Moor, Staines, Laleham and Chertsey. The brakes are bedding in nicely on the CX now, so more confident to get on a bit.
@Saluki I also have the minor toe/wheel scuff issue. Like you I felt the bigger frame a real stretch, so I'll just have to adjust a little.
Thank heavens for that. So glad that it's not just me. Looking at the CX next to the roadie, the forks seem more upright and the wheel closer to the crank than the roadie. It's generally more compact. Either that for my feet have grown overnight.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a really long working week (just under 70 hours) I was up early this morning to get dragged around the shops for a few final Christmas 'essentials'. I already have the 'essential' wine etc. but SWMBO declared that other 'essentials' needed my presence to be purchased :tired:
Once back home at 09:00 , however, I was told that for being a good boy I could do whatever I wanted!!! So I fecked off out on the bike ^_^

First stop, after a push against the wind across the Washlands, was for a coffee and a hot mince pie and to borrow a torque wrench to fettle the bike a bit at a mates house. Thenceforth on to mate #2 as he'd wanted to do a few miles to rid himself of manflu. Sadly, he was unable to ride as the manflu was just too bad...
Never mind, he's just back from Brazil and has some cracking Espresso for me to try out!
With the caffeine buzzing through my veins, I set out for a solo ride up the Brampton Valley Way for a few miles to Merry Tom Crossing

DSC_0213.JPG

With a sharp right turn up the hill on Station Road towards Brixworth village.

DSC_0216.JPG

I diverted a few yards to All Saints, a 7th century Anglo-Saxon church, looking remarkably like a rocket from this angle!

Heading across towards the dam to the café at Pitsford reservoir was directly into the wind for several miles. Still, it blew the remaining cobwebs out!

DSC_0220.JPG

Having had my fill of strong coffee for the day, I decided to partake of a Strawberry Shortcake ice cream, and most tasty it was as well :thumbsup:

As I had plenty of time left, I didn't take my normal route home, but carried on around the Res and picked up the Holcot Road to Sywell where any Strava places were ruined by the Ladies Tour last summer.. Damn, they were quick! :laugh:

DSC_0228.JPG

I don't remember running over a bird!
Still, back home on about 35 miles with headwinds, tailwinds, drizzle and rain, but warm enough to not be cold in my shorts

http://www.strava.com/activities/232119164

:smile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom