Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
I nearly had an accident on today's ride. Late in the ride, I was still up on the tops and riding along a narrow pavement-free lane into a headwind when I came up to a woman walking 5 or 6 dogs. I'd say that she was probably a professional dog walker. Either that, or she was the owner of a very varied collection of mutts!

The dogs included a couple of yappy Jack Russells which attempted to get at me as I rode past. The woman appeared to have them under control on their leads so I kept well over to the right and just rode on by.

The yapping receded into the background and I started to think about extending my ride to knock a few more miles off my target. Suddenly, the yapping re-emerged from the background to the foreground and I looked down to see a Jack Russell running after me, faster than I thought Jack Russells could run. Damn - it must have slipped its collar!

I thought I would easily be able to outpace it but the headwind was slowing me down and it was gaining on me. It drew alongside on my left, trying to nip my overshoe. I wasn't bothered about getting bitten - I don't think a dog that size would cause too much damage to a heavy-duty neoprene overshoe. I was more worried about colliding with it. Sure enough, the little rascal overtook me and suddenly ran to the right directly in front of my bike! I braked and swerved left, just missing it. Then it was running on my right trying to nip the other foot.

I tried shouting "SIT!", "STOP IT!", "STAY!" but to no effect. Even a more direct "PACK IT IN YOU F*****G RUNT OR YOU WILL GET MORE THAN YOU BARGAINED FOR!" failed to have any effect! :laugh:

There was nothing for it, since I had already dismissed the idea of stopping and talking to the dog for half an hour while the dog walker caught up - I had to outpace it. I stuck the bike in a big gear and jumped. The initial acceleration put some distance between me and the dog, but I couldn't sustain the extra speed into the headwind. I slumped back into the saddle and maintained the same speed that the dog was doing. I thought it would soon get bored, but it chased me for about a mile before finally getting tired.

Fantastic! All this needs to be perfect is :Liggett and Sherwin describing your "accelerations" and "the elastic stretching" Brilliant story - really cheered me up :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back in from a really good ride. I have to be at wwww in an hour and a bit so I was pleased to get a ride in. Running 2 business' is trying on the old riding time, and practicing time.

The weather was OK today and I did manage a good 5 hours sleep last night so feeling pretty enthusiastic about riding. Actually I was really keen to get out on my bike today, which is something that hasn't happened for a while so doubly happy about that.

I rode up our road and then headed for Bowthorpe and the cyclepaths and from there turned for Bawburgh along muddy and leafy country roads. I don't think that the Defy was best chuffed to be out in the mud but I was. I got down to Bawburgh village proper and then turned left up Stocks Hill. It's a nice hill and goes up in 3 stages. The first bit is the hardest, the middle bit a doddle and the last bit an equal doddle but a tad longer. There is a segment up there called the Bawburgh Buster and I averaged 10mph up it so I was thrilled. It gains about 83 feet over a km. It doesn't sound much but I'm a Norfolk girl and hills are not my thing really.

From there I doglegged along the B1108 to the Melton Road and rode past the Village Inn, Little Melton (a very good carvery pub if you are in the area) and kept going to the war memorial where I turned left and then left again a bit later to Hethersett. I ignored the road closed signs as I reckon that you can always get a bike through as roads are rarely closed to pedestrians. Very glad I did as the road wasn't closed at all but there were 3 way roadwork lights at the end. I just got off my bike and walked around then on the pavement and then carried on riding.

After the roadworks, I found myself on the Wymondham to Norwich road so I rode down it, up the hill and then got on the cyclepath at the the top of Colney Lane and then rode to the hospital using the route that I used to ride when I lived in Wymondham. At the layby, where I meet Hubster, my Garmin said 11.78 miles. Rude to stop I thought so I rode up the road and then turned round and came back again.

12.14 miles, averaging 12.9mph and I was out for 56:38 riding time. Not too shoddy with all that mud on the road. We had a couple of scary slides on the mud - or cow poo :eek: but didn't fall off so it was a good ride. The Defy is in the shower room having been washed off with the shower. Hubster is just about to go in with a greasy rag to sort the chain etc for me, while I type. I am feeling the cycling love again now. Only 83 miles to target this year and I have quite a good feeling about it at the moment. Naturally this might change when it rains/snows/blizzards/tornado etc

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hmm ... I don't I would be laughing in that situation! :eek:
I rode past what looked scarily like a free-range Rottweiler puppy farm in Languedoc a couple of years back. There was a field full of them roaming about, and they certainly noticed me cycling by. Fortunately the fences were good enough to keep them in. I was miles from anywhere and feeling very vulnerable all of a sudden.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I rode past what looked scarily like a free-range Rottweiler puppy farm in Languedoc a couple of years back. There was a field full of them roaming about, and they certainly noticed me cycling by. Fortunately the fences were good enough to keep them in. I was miles from anywhere and feeling very vulnerable all of a sudden.
:wub:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Up and out early this morning for a 25 miler to Arlingham and back. I'm hoping that my club ride this Sunday will then leave me within one final ride of my revised annual target of 2,400 miles. (Quite fancied hitting that figure, to average 200 miles per month). When I got to the riverside dead end at Arlingham, via Elmore, Longney, Saul and Fretherne, I came across a gathering of the unspeakable about to be in pursuit of the inedible. I'm guessing it was the Berkeley Hunt. I suspected something was up when I was overtaken by half a dozen horse boxes and then a quad bike along the lanes.
I dare say most people who happen across a colourful scene of horses and hounds and people being served stirrup cups might think of it as something of a photo op. Not me. I didn't like to encourage them. I did take this one though, as she was unaware of the attention, and was in my way, anyway. That is Newnham on Severn in the background.
x20.jpg

At one point I heard someone asking about whether "Hermione" was here yet, and a lot of posh accents. On my way back through Arlingham village, just where the road was at its narrowest, I was faced with 3 horses cantering down the street straight at me. One of the horses suddenly swerved and its hooves skidded on the tarmac, giving me an uncomfortable moment. I don't think the rider had even considered swerving around me, but his horse had more sense. Saw this sign further along the road...... Seemed strangely appropriate. Shame he hadn't read it:
2014 misc 056.jpg

Made my way back via Frampton, Saul and Longney. At this crossroads I could go either way, but I almost always go the longer way home to the left, via Elmore, and I found myself doing the same again this time, as I know I can make it an exactly 25 mile ride by going that way:
x26.jpg

It's amazing how pleasing little things can sometimes be. There is a small incline called the Longtump near Longney that for some time now has had the worst, most pot-holed road surface for miles around. I was chuffed to find it had just been re-surfaced with lovely smooth new tarmac, so you can bomb down the slope with confidence and carry just enough momentum into the next little rise.
2014 misc 057.jpg

It was a nice ride anyway, but that made my day. Two rides away from my target now. Bring it on.
Cheers, Donger.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A rare afternoon outing for me today since I was at work this morning. Nothing special, a big loop from Egham - Staines - Laleham - Chertsey - Virginia Water and home. 22 miles, the first 8 of which were really tough. I can only imagine it's something to do with my eating being out of kilter as I normally ride in the mornings after porridge.
New chain fitted to the road bike when I got home, along with a much needed clean. I found myself at N-1 over the weekend, my hybrid has gone to a new home with my brother, so a chance to put the new Boardman CX together:smile: Must have the best SWMBO going, as I'm currently building it in the dining room:smile::smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Right! Can everyone stop being poorly please? It's effecting negatively my reading of nice "your rides today" thread.

My upset stomach seems to be going for some sort of record, its been going for a week and a half so far, and I can still crap through the eye of a needle from 50 paces without touching the sides.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Still not ready to go out today, but ready to use the trainer in the basement, after I fit new SPD pedals and etc, as well as a computer for rear wheel. Probably get out Saturday. Feeling much better today, almost 100%, was adjudged fit for duty yesterday, so I worked, and returned to normal diet today. Although less food. It's winter now, and with shorter rides, I need to eat less.

Last edited:

Colin_P

Guru
A short 3 miler up and down the farm tracks near me with the dog trotting along side. A dog walk by any description except I was on the bike, he gets a good run that way and I get to go on the bike.

Very wet and muddy and of course the dog was in all the puddles and got as dirty as a dirty dog.

Got home, indoors, took his harness off and the little bugger legged it upstairs and duly decided it would be a good idea to wipe himself clean on our bed. On my side of the the bed as well. The little sod had committed the crime before I'd even reached the top of the stairs.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Day before yesterday was my day off (not had the chance to post stuff due to Christmas business at w*rk).
I had some presents to buy and cards & pressies to deliver, coffee to drink and mince pies to eat. First stop was the town centre to call in at a friends. Most handy as I could leave my bike there rather than having to trust to fate and locking it up in the town!

After wandering around Waterstones to get a couple of fairly weighty hardback books and summat for the missus to wear, I called back to pick up my bike.
Next stop was the top of the town to another mates to eat his mince pies and drink his tea :hungry: :cuppa:
After an hour chatting about bikes and the like, I headed home via Bradlaugh Fields.

DSC_0195.JPG

It's quite a large area frequented by plenty of people walking their dogs and generally enjoying the decent weather.
It's only 4 or 5 miles home from this point.

DSC_0199.JPG
:becool:
DSC_0200.JPG

Well, it was my day off and I did need to replenish my energy levels after lugging a hefty rucksack around the route... :whistle:

A pleasant 18 miles or so, plus a few miles walking around the town centre.

http://www.strava.com/activities/229977823
:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom