Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You mad people that are going out on the ice on roadies, how do you do it? It has been bad enough on my Hybrid on fairly grippy gravel but odd moments were had on iced over puddles.

With balls that big it must hurt when you get on the saddle?

I know I've just been rude but someone had to say it. Hats off, caps doffed and all that, you are nutters!

Ice tyres

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back in from a great ride. I wish that I'd taken a camera but I didn't so I couldn't take piccies of the low flying bi-plane which was out for a play today. It then turned and flew past the, frankly enormous, moon. It would have made a fab shot but no camera and my phone is useless for that sort of thing. I didn't take pictures of low sun illuminating the frozen marshes either. I did take a pic of a chap out for a ride with his daughers. All the girls had Christmas bikes. I took the pic on his camera after stopping and offering. Nice chap with polite daughters.

Today Hubster and I rode along the Marriotts Way. There was ice aplenty on the roads, which is why we thought we'd go down the cycle track. At least if we slipped badly enough to fall off, we only had to deal with bushes, trees, dog walkers etc and not cars, vans and artics. We took it quite gingerly down the Marlpit Lane and even more gingerly along the first, tarmacked bit of the Marriotts as it was a bit black icy. Once on to the track, we rode through ice puddles, nearly unseated by really grabby mud but carried on regardless averaging just over 9mph. It was a nice day, lots of joggers, dog walkers, kids on bikes. The BBC said it was 4 degrees. Our car said that it was -31 when we had to fetch something out of it this morning. I think that the external thermostat has broken. I hope that it has anyway.

We rode to Taverham and then along the road to the Garden Centre, where we locked the bikes up and had a coffee at the cafe located within. The coffee was OK. Nothing to write home about. The chocolate cake was ok-ish. Again, nothing to get excited about. A bit uninspiring actually. The bill was a tenner. Seriously people, don't bother with it. There are a couple of other cafes in the complex of shops around the garden centre but they were closed. Never again, shall we go to that. Bit of a rip off to be honest.

We rode home happily enough. It was along the road, just before we turned back on to the Marriotts, that we saw the bi-plane. Very grey it was too. I wonder if it was the Red Baron :rolleyes:. We made slightly better time home, riding time wise. We stopped for a chat with the chap with his daughters, for a couple of minutes. He was asking us how we coped in the mud with such skinny tyres. I said that my tyres were 35mm, Hubster's were 28mm and that they were cyclocross bikes and designed for this sort of stuff and much worse. He'd never heard of CX bikes. We pointed to the slightly higher BB, the different cable routing etc.

As the sun was dropping and it was getting cooler, we headed off and rode home via New Costessey. We added a wee bit on the end as I needed to make the whole ride add up to 13 miles and we were heading for 12.5 miles. We did get the ride to add up to 13 miles which gives me 1525.1 miles for the year this year. It's probably a bit more than that in reality (I could work it out by counting garmin miles and proper ride miles) as I loop around the hospital grounds for anything between 2 and 5 miles when I am early to meet him and don't want to stay still.

2000 is my target for next year. With additional commuting in the forthcoming year, I am hopeful of that and a bit more. I may extend the target. Who knows.:cold::cuppa:^_^

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My ride today consisted of an hours spin session by myself in the gym. I gave myself a pasting!

I have had to put loads of aloe Vera etc on to my eyelids to get them better after burning them in the cold conditions last week whilst riding, so like me they've gone soft! I've given them another days rest.

It's meant to be a bit warmer tomorrow, so I might go out into the outdoors on my bike....

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice to see a few people getting out on the last day of the year. I had a group ride planned with the 'West Thames Wheelers 2', and the plan was a ride out along the Thames from Staines to Molesey Cricket Club for coffee and back again. With 6 turning out it was pretty social, and steady. The side roads were icy, but the towpath between Staines and Chertsey was fine.
31 Dec 2014 Frosty Thames.jpg

Dockett Eddy Lane was a bit frosty, but the worst was the towpath from Walton to Hampton with lots of frozen puddles and frozen mud ruts making it less than pleasant. Stopping at the cricket club we parked up the bikes only to be told they had no water, so no coffee. We chose to go on to Hampton and get coffee there. Can't remember the café, but I'll not go there again. Tepid latte, though a halfway decent bacon sandwich, for £6.50:eek: One of my 'not tight' days (take note @CarlP ...)
The ride home was steady, and the earlier frozen puddles were now mud, so the bike will need a clean. @Billy Wizz it's off the shelf other than a change from BB5 to BB7 calipers and a Charge Spoon saddle.
30 miles completed, which makes December my highest mileage month at 337.5 miles, most climbing in a month at 8,858ft, and an annual total of 2,438 miles.

Last ride of the year this afternoon,just a gentle pootle on the Planet X with a nice bit of off-road from Wicken back to Ely;can confirm that Challenge Grifos are an ace all-round cx tyre,rolled nicely on the tarmac and dealt with my crap off-road skills on slushy,icy farm tracks.
Just over 4,200 miles and a 6kg weight loss for the year so can guzzle the wine and eat the snacks with a clear conscience this evening:popcorn:.

http://www.strava.com/activities/234953853

Oh and a happy new year to all:cheers:

djb1971

Legendary Member
My last ride for 2014 was, erm, yesterday.
I rode to B&Q with a list from the plumber ^_^ his car is broken down.
I would have liked to have the bath fitted, alas it was not to happen because it was damaged. Anyhoo, car versus bike, car 0 bike 1 :biggrin:
Happy new year all!
View attachment 75719
Would've liked to see the bath on the rack:giggle:

HNY Pat:cheers:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Up and out early today. Had to sneak out before my wife was out of bed, she won't let me get on the bikes until I'm recovered.

I'm in for a bit of a roasting when she gets up today:shy:

15975450130_692ff0a636_z.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So my first ride of 2015 was with eyelids coated in layers of Vaseline, and I never got a bit on my glasses!
I rolled off the drive at 10.10am and stopped after 10yds to put my lights on....:wacko:. Half way down my road a lady wished me a happy new year, that was nice. The Bon homie extended for all the ride, dog walkers, runners, cyclists ( I think a bloke with a blue face may have blown me a kiss too :smooch:) and motorists giving way and holding back.
In Bourn I slowed up to ask the bloke with the upside down bike if he was ok, he was, so on I went through my usual quiet stamping ground. From Little Gransden I treated myself to 3 miles worth of fierce headwind down to Gamlingay. My best speed on the hill was 27 mph, this coincided with my front wheel being blown sideways by a gust of wind, I nearly added some more padding to my shorts!
The road back to Waresley gave me a slight tail wind, and though the road rises gradually my speed crept up and up and up, I love it when that happens!
On through the Gransdens again, back through the bottom end of Bourn, then up the little hills to Kingston. I then went to Caldecott, bunny hopping the bloody speed bumps as I went. So back to Hardwick, but I wanted a bit more today, I was enjoying myself, so I turned to Dry Drayton. Again, a slight tail wind and some shelter, my speed rose effortlessly. I looked a my Garmin, 27, 28, 29, and a half... I was running out of road and I had to hit 30. Up until this point I was aware that it had been effortless and almost graceful, the only things moving were my legs, poetry in motion..... But to squeeze that extra bit out had me looking like someone had put jump leads on my knackers! I was all over the shop, it did make me laugh at the time. My Garmin informs me that it topped out at 30.45mph, well worth looking a nobber for!
I made my way up the hill from Madingley village and home, an average speed of 15.7 mph and a very neat total of 33.33 miles.

I hope you all have a great 2015!

sgl5gjr

Not been on here for a few days.... been out on the bikes (MTB & Road)....but not got much mileage in.....as...... When on the roadie one of the Wheelers wanted to make sure she was adjusted to fit properly....lol.... and the Teen just wanted to blat about...then the first ride of 2015 this morning had Mrs Sgl with us..... Mrs Sgl is not known for her cycling prowess... she sometimes nips to the shops or work on her steed...and the odd ride about when we are on holiday....
Mrs Sgl has decided that she is on a fitness/diet regime for 2015 and wants to cycle some more with me....dunno if that is good or bad and the teen wants to do some sportives.... and long road bike rides...thankfully Mrs Sgl is not a roadie....yet
We did a respectable 6.9 miles on cycleways today and a 7.6 mph average for the unfit Mrs Sgl, which is good really for her

Haven't been on these pages for months, because of other commitments. Boy how I have missed them, main weekly rides have been from home to Carlisle station and then Newcastle central station to the University. Nightmare riding in central Newcastle, reverse the journey six hours later but get off the last train at Wetheral, most of the time no problems but I was pulled up on the A69 at 23:00 by a nose coper, I was lit up like Blackpool illuminations, but he wanted to know what I was doing riding a bike at that time of night I was polite but just. Two weeks later he over took me like a bat out of hell as I was preparing to turn right off the A69. Other than that all is quiet, first assignment ready to be delivered on Monday.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
20 miles on the MTBs today. Waited until the frost lifted and when we went out it was 1.5c. Took the Voie Verte to Bellou sur Huisne then into Remelard, found a marked track which was a bit slippy in places, up through the forest to Bizou then on road to Longny au Perche for the loop home.

Bikes seen - 1 ( a retired farmer neighbour on his Kuota Roadie) , cars seen - 7. 16th Century Manoirs seen - 4. Aye, its quiet right enough!

May be last ride here as dogs to vets tomorrow for passport check and then pack car for early trip to Eurotunnel on Saturday. May try to squeeze one more ride in if we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom