Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Legendary Member
I knew I should not posted that ... I picked up a nasty bug on my family Christmas visit. I didn't eat or sleep much for nearly 3 days and even now have lungs full of gunk and feel weak and wobbly. No point in messing about riding in icy conditions when I feel like this, so that is my riding done until early in the NY, whenever I feel ready.

Target for 2014: 3,650 hilly miles, 10 miles a day. Achieved: 3,619 miles, 9.92 miles a day.

Not a bad effort considering my recent health history!

Target for 2015: 4,000 hilly miles, an average of about 11 miles a day.
A like for your efforts over the year, not the being ill over xmas bit!!

Archeress

Veteran
Just a little ride today down to the Mall at Cribbs Causeway for a little retail therapy and some dinner with my Fiance. Came home in the dark at 7pm and the cycle computer advised it was only 0.4 C. Had fitted the new cadence sensor that I'd been given for Xmas and the results were interesting. Ride is here: http://www.strava.com/activities/234253556

Hugs
Archeress x

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Cold ride today down to Portishead, tried using bus routes as these tend to be gritted. Meant cycling down the whole length of Fishponds Road !
Then thru Milleninum Square with people skating in the warm winters sun.
I then tackled the 1:6 Constitution Hill & somehow managed a Strava PB :rolleyes: over the Suspension Bridge & a steady ride onto Portishead. Great views of the Bristol Channel due to the glorious conditions but didn't have time for a coffee stop & headed back via the Avonmouth Bridge and Blaise Castle.

http://www.strava.com/activities/234182461

image.jpg

image.jpg

Following my 30 miler earlier in the week, I was left with only 17 miles needed to hit the revised 2400 mile target for the year. Out by around 9 this morning, took it very carefully until I got to the main roads as it was a bit slippery. Struggled to get going, but after 14 miles I felt warmed up enough to pick up the pace a bit. First time out in my new MW81 winter boots, and pleased to report nice warm feet throughout the ride. Stuck to the main roads to start with before ambling into WGP, stopping at the Guards Polo Club to take a photo of a horse
View attachment 75526
Apparently a gift to Guards Polo Club from La Martina (they run the shop next door) on the bicentenary anniversary of Argentina in 2010.
24 miles by the time I got home, and with a planned group ride on New Years eve I reckon I'll hit the 500km mark for the month too.
Big improvements! Only seems a short while ago you were struggling to do a couple of miles, well done and I hope you continue to do so.

StickBouncer

Regular
Today was going to be a rest day after 18 odd miles yesyerday mainly in the company of @Saluki so walked into Sports direct to get some leg warmers. Walked out 20 minutes later no leg warmers but spent £50+ on other essentials. Then a quick few miles on exersize bike then got bored on such a lovely afternoon so a quick to Tescos and back (5.36 miles round trip in 36 mins traveling time)

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Just a short circuit to Whaley Bridge and back this morning. Out via Marsh Lane, back via A6, New Mills and the main road back into Hayfield. It's a little under 3C here at the moment with no ice on the roads I used and not feeling too cold. Thermal glove liners and liner socks did the trick.
Only an hour but quite refreshing.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Last leisure ride of the year as I am back to work tomorrow. :sad:

52 miles, very sunny, very cold and very icy. Even managed to wheel spin the rear tyre at one point, plenty of people out today, nearly all on mountain bikes, though I did see a couple of road bikes.

http://www.strava.com/activities/234474775

Just 15 miles left to do on the Rapha festive 500 - will knocks those off tomorrow on the way to work.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
Thigh burning ride today. Still around freezing, but clear blue sky and no wind at all, so decided to ride up into the Foret Reno-Valdieu. Went up the aptly named "La Montagne" in Maison- Maugis and took the forestry track, which was very churned up by logging tractors.

Constant, steep, climb to the top of the forest initially on icy, leaf covered road, then cobbles then frozen puddles and the churned up bits of the forestry trail, made it a stop-start , inner ring - traction seeking exercise, with some walking and pushing the bike and the first 2.5 miles taking best part of 40 minutes!

Couple of falls and a soaking right foot later (with Sandra getting a lovely pedal-shin bruise!) we got to the better surfaced bit and went along towards La Chapelle- Montligeon, before turning back to come home via St Victor de Reno.

Only about 10 miles but real effort in the climb and lovely clear cold weather- absolutely beautiful. Only saw 4 walkers in the forest. Perfect way to spend the early afternoon.

I hope to set up a cycle tour/hire business here- this bit would only be for the very hardy- though it is more manageable in summer!!

Attachments

• SSA50137.JPG
    SSA50137.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 28
  • SSA50131.JPG
    SSA50131.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SSA50134.JPG
    SSA50134.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 27

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
One of my cycling new years resolutions is going to be to try & do a few more leisurely/gentle rides instead of busting a gut every time. Now this isn't going to be easy for some who's played competitive sports most of his long life but part of what I like about cycling is that it isn't competitive, unless of course, you want it to be.

So with this in mind I thought I'd go out today & spend an hour or so around some local(ish) & not frosted roads around Cadnam, Bartley & Ashurst just taking my time & I must say that even though I didn't get a sweat on I really enjoyed it.

Just 16 miles but 16 miles of pleasure. :smile:

http://www.strava.com/activities/234517019

001.JPG

The afternoon winter sun also made for some rather nice scenery.

004.JPG

Billy Wizz

Über Member
One of my cycling new years resolutions is going to be to try & do a few more leisurely/gentle rides instead of busting a gut every time. Now this isn't going to be easy for some who's played competitive sports most of his long life but part of what I like about cycling is that it isn't competitive, unless of course, you want it to be.

So with this in mind I thought I'd go out today & spend an hour or so around some local(ish) & not frosted roads around Cadnam, Bartley & Ashurst just taking my time & I must say that even though I didn't get a sweat on I really enjoyed it.

Just 16 miles but 16 miles of pleasure. :smile:

http://www.strava.com/activities/234517019

View attachment 75605

The afternoon winter sun also made for some rather nice scenery.

View attachment 75606

Great pictures and glad you enjoyed your non competitive relaxed ride, would the ride have changed if someone passed you.?:bicycle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom