Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We still have roads here with ice and snow on them, however cabin fever is setting in so the sensible thing to do was to get out on the fixed, 23mm slick tyres, fingerless gloves, 2 layers on top, longs and foot covers [and no helmet]. It reached 3C so toasty warm. We had walked into town earlier and the pavements are still covered in snow, no slush at all.
A few pics from the ride,
0CF4F654-A48E-49C6-8FEA-EC26F31D1200_zpsz6ajj8pc.jpg

You had to keep the bike perfectly vertical, the fun bits were when I had to put the boot down to get up the other side of the numerous dips in the road.
3E05957E-3E16-44EE-B759-4729AA997201_zpstdewov0p.jpg

E327E76A-B36F-448D-A343-910A8CA34422_zpsatrisdrm.jpg

2 miles to go with an interesting 30mph descent into Oakham, all completed with a grin as wide as Rutland Water.
48BC688C-73DE-455D-A540-8AE77D9397A4_zpsuaeqlqhx.jpg

Hugely enjoyable and had the roads mostly to myself, loads of wheelspin and two wheeled skids, like being a kid again.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Following my 30 miler earlier in the week, I was left with only 17 miles needed to hit the revised 2400 mile target for the year. Out by around 9 this morning, took it very carefully until I got to the main roads as it was a bit slippery. Struggled to get going, but after 14 miles I felt warmed up enough to pick up the pace a bit. First time out in my new MW81 winter boots, and pleased to report nice warm feet throughout the ride. Stuck to the main roads to start with before ambling into WGP, stopping at the Guards Polo Club to take a photo of a horse
View attachment 75526
Apparently a gift to Guards Polo Club from La Martina (they run the shop next door) on the bicentenary anniversary of Argentina in 2010.
24 miles by the time I got home, and with a planned group ride on New Years eve I reckon I'll hit the 500km mark for the month too.

That is a nice bike, off the shelf or a few home mods,??

I worked in the Falkland Islands and currently work with a few Argentinians,a bit of trivia really nice folk.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My last ride of 2014 today. Still needed 20.3 to hit my target of 2,400 miles, and ended up doing 20.6 in the end. :wahhey:
Didn't start too well, even though I left it as late as possible before setting out on my usual route to Frampton on Severn. Even at 2.30pm and +7 degrees C, there was still plenty of ice and slush around, particularly down by the river at Stonebench.
za1.jpg
A nasty mixture of water, slush, mud and sheet ice on the lanes made life interesting:
za2.jpg

After picking my way through that lot, and being overtaken only inches away by a few cars who made absolutely no allowance for the conditions, I decided to head for the A38 instead to get my miles in before sunset. By the time I hit the main road, I had gingerly done a paltry 4 miles in half an hour, so I was glad to get onto the grippy cycle lane on the main A38 and start shifting it. Made my way to the war memorial crossroads at Frocester via a couple of small hills at Whitminster and Eastington before needing to turn around to race home before it got dark.
za3.jpg

For once I didn't have time to take on my training climb up Frocester Hill . You can see the road climbing up relentlessly behind the tythe barn in this shot:
za4.jpg
I will be no stranger to that hill next year, as I get ready for taking on a couple of Alps in September. I imagine the Kingsway CC will take it on a few times, too.
Anyway, Happy New Year everyone. Who knows, I might bump into a few of you out on the road next year (though hopefully not literally).
Cheers, Donger.

Colin_P

Guru
You mad people that are going out on the ice on roadies, how do you do it? It has been bad enough on my Hybrid on fairly grippy gravel but odd moments were had on iced over puddles.

With balls that big it must hurt when you get on the saddle?

I know I've just been rude but someone had to say it. Hats off, caps doffed and all that, you are nutters!

A cheeky wee metric century today, 101.8km to be exact. The longest ride I've done this month. Headed out through Ashgill, Kirkmuirhill and Lesmahagow before heading back through Strathaven and doing a loop round the perimeter of EK before heading home.
About 4-5C for most of the ride so quite a bit milder than the previous days. The main roads were fine but there was still a few icey patches on the minor roads and lanes. Quite a few roadies out today taking advantage of the conditions.
Hoping to get out tomorrow for my last ride of 2014

Not long back from my last bike ride of 2014. Just out for a couple of hours up to East Kilbride and I was planning to be out a bit longer but the weather has taken a turun for the worse and it really is a bit dreich out there now. However it was good to get out and get some fresh air. Even popped into one of my local car showrooms on the way home to look at a car I'm thinking of getting some time next year. Turned out the salesman I talked to did a bit of cycling as well but he did admit to just being a fair weather rider.
Probably won't get out tomorrow as the forecast is for gale force winds and very heavy rain.

This morning's ride

http://app.strava.com/activities/234862702

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Dropped 15 psi from front and back and popped out for a gentle 12 miler to get some serotonin and other natural goody drugs back in the system. Had the brakes on down a hill into Playford I normally canter along and was over-taken by another cyclist. He stayed up, but with the conditions and the state of that particular stretch of torn-up road, I thought he was taking a dreadful risk as the road has a sharp, blind bend at the bottom.

As the more astute of you may have noticed, the pictures I generally post in Your Ride Today tend to be portrait, rather than the landscape format 'expected' for scenery, but then, we do have an awful lot of sky to go around in Suffolk and it seems a shame not to share it. ^_^ Here's another couple and a Happy New Year to you all.

Some sheep. I couldn't help it - I muttered 'mint sauce, mint sauce' as I pressed the shutter.

Last ride of 2014 001.JPG

A frozen field out near Tuddenham St Martin.

Last ride of 2014 004.JPG

Spartak