Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgl5gjr

Not been far today...... well all week really....bloody chest infection.....anyway.... the Mrs has now decided to join the Teen & I for out rides and so we went and sorted her a Triban 300....... gets it home, up on the Bike Stand and then I start to check it over, as it was from a New Store of theirs rather than the other 2 I use normally...... well .... the neanderthal had put the pedals on with a long bar or hammered them on and if he thought (during the pdi) that the gears were indexing correct then he needs to go back to school....anyway my "Ride Today" has been several trips around the block to set up her indoors new road bike.....

mooseracer

Guru
Totally under fueled and after the first 20miles of today's ride with the wind behind me verged on bonking for the 18 back in to the wind on the way home. Wasn't particularly pleasant but then I should know better!

https://www.strava.com/activities/239633576

Osprey

Guru
With the wind dropping to an acceptable 20mph and rain not due in until 1pm, an 8am ride was the order of the day. Set of for a relatively flat coastal run down the Gower. The westerly head wind on the estuary found me dropping down through the gears and dropping from the hoods to the drops. Followed the north Gower road to Bury Green where I hung a left and meandered through the lanes until the village of Scurlage where once again I had to turn into the head wind for the final few miles to the tip of Gower where there is no shelter from the Irish sea winds. Even a long downhill section found me peddling to continue any momentum. Still, the views entering Rhossili of the bay and the Worms head were worth the effort. And the journey back, tail wind all the way. ^_^
28 enjoyable miles.

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
You lucky people - all I could manage today (so far) was a paltry 1.5 miles to work and back on #4. (The PF had visited the shed during the night and the front tyre on my usual Run-About-Town #3 was flat.) So I got to drive around in the sun watching dozens of others getting out and about on their bikes. (More than a few had pained expressions, though - first ride of the year?)
Got home and found cause of puncture(s) - a thorn and shard of glass - and they were only discovered by running my finger on the inside of the tyre. (I know Schwalbe Marathons are supposed to be relatively bullet-proof, but two invasions seems a bit of extreme punishment for whatever I've done to upset You-Know-Who.)
Thinking about tackling a metric ton this week - I'll let you know how I get on. :smile:

Windy birthday ride today,first one of 2015;hard going out but nice 'push' on the way home.Got a couple of 2015 kom's but on one of them I'm the only bod who's ridden that segment this year:whistle::laugh:.

Fair to say that the Helium rocks and am seriously thinking about changing the winter bikes chainrings to the 52/36 the Helium has.

https://www.strava.com/activities/239765894

Now for a birthday bottle of Cono sur reserva Pinot Noir:cheers:

D

Deleted member 1258

Earlswood Plant Center the destination 56 miles the journey, a cold, grey and windy day, I was later than usual getting out and spending most of the outward leg slogging into a stiff head wind, made for a slow hard ride, the ride back wasn't much better, I didn't spend as much time with a tail wind as I thought I would. Across Coventry through malfunction junction and out through Tile Hill to Balsall Common, right by the church and onto the main road passed the Honely Boot before going back into the lanes, turned right just after Hatton Country World for Losenford, crossed the main road above Henley In Arden, and picked up the B401 before turning onto Umberslade Road and into Earlswood passed the Craft Center and onto the Plant Center. On the way back I rode through Tamworth and picked up Pig Trot Lane to take me onto my usual route back, onto Nuthurst and Wharf Lane to take me passed Packwood House and Baddesley Cinton, through Chadwick End and onto Balsall Common then retraced my steps across Coventry and Home. Still a bit unfit my endurance has improved but I still need to work on my pace, I had a better ride than last week but if I want to enjoy the Guy Salmon Ride on the 1st of Feb I'll need to pick up a bit more.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coventry-road-club-guy-salmon-jaguar-ridesportive/1539079983015035

Awful weather here today, this morning an inch or two of snow on the roads and a variety of snow, sleet and rain being blown by strong westerlies. By early afternoon the snow had turned to rain and the temp was up to 4 degrees, sufficient for me to venture out on studded tyres for a 20 mile loop along Long Dalmahoy Road to Kirknewton and Leyden Hill. Fairly miserable but could have been worse. A lot of water pouring off the fields and gathering on the roads, several stretches under water.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We are just in from our ride. We'd planned this ride earlier in the week and Hubster was totally up for it.
We rode from ours, all the way along the Marriott's Way but missed out the Themelthorpe Loop as it's narrow, muddy and full of dog walkers on a Sunday. We cut across Reepham instead and followed the disused railway line all the way to Aylsham, where we stopped for a butty at Tesco.
At Freeland's Corner - the highest point of the Marriotts, I got a puncture. It was the tinyest thorn ever in that tyre. A nice chap from Norwich Velo Club came along and gave us a self sticking patch for our tube. We'd put a new tube in the tyre and de-thorned it (not in that order) and then couldn't find my leeches anywhere. We still cannot find them. I got them out of the saddlebag but they've vanished. We never did find them so first thing tomorrow is new self sticking patches. It also became apparent that, after I had got out the spare p******e repair kit ready for Hubster's new saddlebag, he'd not put it in the bag :banghead:
From there we followed the Bure Valley path to Wroxham railway station and got on a train home. It became apparent that Hubster thought that the Bure Valley line ran trains all the time. It doesn't . Next Train is 16th February, the start of Half Term.
He was not best chuffed to be riding another 9 miles and crept along it averaging about 5mph, going up to about 7 or 8 mph and then stopping every half a mile for a 2 or 3 minute rest. His legs were tired. I tried to jolly him along by saying 'we are over 1/3 along this bit or 1/2 way along this bit. Then he decided to walk and nearly got up to 2mph with 4 miles to go. I might have got a bit cross at this point and told him to pull himself together. If we walk at this pace we won't get to the train station for over 2 hours. I told him to MTFU and get on his bike. I was getting properly cold at this point and my hip was yelling loudly at me and my right knee was yelling even louder. Walking really really was not helping. Yes, I know that I'm a cow so you don't need to mention it. I made sure that the ate the rest of the malt bread here too. I was OK.

Finally the railway station came in to view and we got on to the platform with 4 minutes to spare for the 16:24 train. That 28 miles took 3 hours and we averaged 9.1 miles. Our total time was some 90 minutes longer which was fixing the tyre time of about 15 mins and tesco time, another 15 minutes. The rest of the time was me stopping and waiting every half a mile or so from just past Reepham onwards.

Once off the train at Thorpe Station, Norwich. We rode down Riverside Road and went left at the roundabout and on to Barrack Street. I generally go on the cyclepaths instead of riding on these 2 roads but the cyclepath gates are locked at dusk. It was pitch black by then so we had to go on the roads. I waited (and waited) at just after the roundabout at Barrack Street for Hubster to come in to view and then followed him to the roundabout at the other end. From there we hopped on the cyclepaths to the City end of the Marriotts and home. I took the house keys half way along and went back at a more sensible pace.
That bit of the ride was 4 miles averaging 12.1mph, which took into consideration Marlpit Lane, which I crept up at around 7.5mph.

32 miles all in all. I'm 15 miles up on my yearly target so very happy. I'm trying to get a bit ahead as I know that I'll not be riding in the heavy rain, snow and high winds that are forecast.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A very chilly 16 miles here today. I had planned to go further but it was just too bleak, with a strong headwind.

So ended up riding through familiar country over to Burwell Fen where I sat on a bench to do some owl spotting with a welcome brew. I chose a quiet route to the fen (Newnham Drove) which is little used but the surface is awful. I worry for my spokes- especially with all the weighty crap I carry around with me!

It was particularly bleak today...

image.jpg

At the bench it was so cold with the strong wind I could barely hold my binoculars without shivering. Only one thing for it- to head off and unusually for me, pick up a bit of pace. Further along the Lodes Way, it was equally bleak...

image.jpg

Not much about bird-wise and the final score on the owl spotting front was barn owls 2 - short eared owls 1. A rare win for the barn owls. The short ears do seem to go to ground when its windy and who can blame them.

Got home as darkness set in. Looks like a stormy week ahead so more battling the winds likely. Still, beats being stuck in a car I guess!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
We are just in from our ride. We'd planned this ride earlier in the week and Hubster was totally up for it.
We rode from ours, all the way along the Marriott's Way but missed out the Themelthorpe Loop as it's narrow, muddy and full of dog walkers on a Sunday. We cut across Reepham instead and followed the disused railway line all the way to Aylsham, where we stopped for a butty at Tesco.
At Freeland's Corner - the highest point of the Marriotts, I got a puncture. It was the tinyest thorn ever in that tyre. A nice chap from Norwich Velo Club came along and gave us a self sticking patch for our tube. We'd put a new tube in the tyre and de-thorned it (not in that order) and then couldn't find my leeches anywhere. We still cannot find them. I got them out of the saddlebag but they've vanished. We never did find them so first thing tomorrow is new self sticking patches. It also became apparent that, after I had got out the spare p******e repair kit ready for Hubster's new saddlebag, he'd not put it in the bag :banghead:
From there we followed the Bure Valley path to Wroxham railway station and got on a train home. It became apparent that Hubster thought that the Bure Valley line ran trains all the time. It doesn't . Next Train is 16th February, the start of Half Term.
He was not best chuffed to be riding another 9 miles and crept along it averaging about 5mph, going up to about 7 or 8 mph and then stopping every half a mile for a 2 or 3 minute rest. His legs were tired. I tried to jolly him along by saying 'we are over 1/3 along this bit or 1/2 way along this bit. Then he decided to walk and nearly got up to 2mph with 4 miles to go. I might have got a bit cross at this point and told him to pull himself together. If we walk at this pace we won't get to the train station for over 2 hours. I told him to MTFU and get on his bike. I was getting properly cold at this point and my hip was yelling loudly at me and my right knee was yelling even louder. Walking really really was not helping. Yes, I know that I'm a cow so you don't need to mention it. I made sure that the ate the rest of the malt bread here too. I was OK.

Finally the railway station came in to view and we got on to the platform with 4 minutes to spare for the 16:24 train. That 28 miles took 3 hours and we averaged 9.1 miles. Our total time was some 90 minutes longer which was fixing the tyre time of about 15 mins and tesco time, another 15 minutes. The rest of the time was me stopping and waiting every half a mile or so from just past Reepham onwards.

Once off the train at Thorpe Station, Norwich. We rode down Riverside Road and went left at the roundabout and on to Barrack Street. I generally go on the cyclepaths instead of riding on these 2 roads but the cyclepath gates are locked at dusk. It was pitch black by then so we had to go on the roads. I waited (and waited) at just after the roundabout at Barrack Street for Hubster to come in to view and then followed him to the roundabout at the other end. From there we hopped on the cyclepaths to the City end of the Marriotts and home. I took the house keys half way along and went back at a more sensible pace.
That bit of the ride was 4 miles averaging 12.1mph, which took into consideration Marlpit Lane, which I crept up at around 7.5mph.

32 miles all in all. I'm 15 miles up on my yearly target so very happy. I'm trying to get a bit ahead as I know that I'll not be riding in the heavy rain, snow and high winds that are forecast.

Sounds like a nice route that. Last time I rode Marriotts Way between Reepham and Norwich in winter - parts of it were a mud bath and un rideable in places. That was 4 or 5 years ago though.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sounds like a nice route that. Last time I rode Marriotts Way between Reepham and Norwich in winter parts of it were a mud bath and un rideable in places. That was 4 or 5 years ago though.
It wasn't too bad out today, a few muddy bits. I nearly fell off sliding on a muddy bit on the bridge just before the getting off the Marriotts point at Reepham. My back wheel was all over the shop and I was quite surprised not to fall off there.
I'm going to ride it again soon. Just me though. Unless StickBouncer wants to come. Although he probably thinks that I'm a right moaner if he's read the trip report.

compo

Veteran
I have done 113 miles over this past week, including 39 miles today. I went down to Writtle, near Chelmsford. I flew down, fastest I have ever ridden it. That should have been a big red flag for me. When I turned to ride home the wind just hit me full on and I had to fight it all the way home, better part of 18 miles. I am the wrong shape to butt through wind and I was absolutely knackered when I got home. I will have a rest tomorrow and see what Tuesday brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom