Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A good thing to remember. Both sides.
Ha - yes, I nearly fell for that one - literally! I loosened 3 of the 4 sides of the SPD pedals on my road bike, but forgot one side. My foot got stuck and I was trapped on my bike when I tried to dismount on a steep hill ...

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Yea, gods, I weigh just under 14 stone and yet I was being blown about like gossamer on the outward leg of 22 miles. (And neither am I partial to being in the lowest gear of my #2 - a triple - just to get downhill.:blink:) Still, I did have to laugh at the insanity of it. ^_^

This - somewhere near Henley.
Windy 001.JPG

And this, looking like the introduction to a 1970's BBC Christmas Eve ghost story.
Windy 003.JPG

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Off to university again being a student so I dug out the Raleigh Team and rode it into Leeds and back. I took my now standard commuting route in, which avoids the dual-carriageway and my extended commuting route back.

About 39 miles done of headwind / crosswind / tailwind. A bit mad in places but managed to just about stay upright.

The Raleigh looks like this, except it's now got a better saddle, black hoods and blue bar tape:

raleigh-756146.png

ColinJ

Off to university again being a student so I dug out the Raleigh Team and rode it into Leeds and back.
Oh, what are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?

If money were not a problem, I would quite fancy doing another degree just to keep the old grey matter ticking over! I'm not sure what I would study, but I'm sure I could find something interesting. I wouldn't fancy trudging in to Leeds or Manchester every day though, so I would probably sign up with the OU instead.

ColinJ

Colin - I'm doing a Doctor of Education (EdD). It's a professional doctorate and I'm looking at student mitigation, particularly the area of student self-handicapping where the student causes their own mitigating circumstances.
Good luck with that!

I would love to do a maths degree. I would find it extremely challenging, but that would be part of the attraction. I did a lot of engineering maths for my electronics degree, but it was more a case of learning how to apply mathematical techniques rather than really understanding how they worked. I suppose the same thing applies to physics - I only learned enough to get the job done, without ever really understanding it at a deeper level.

TBH though, I would be more inclined to spend the time learning to play the guitar and/or the piano!

As for my ride today - too windy - pass! :laugh:

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Finished watching a re run of match of the day two cups of tea and toast it was time for ride.
28 miles with an average of 14 mph I think was good considering the conditions the home run back in along The Dee coastal path was brutal but I enjoyed every minute roll on the summer when I can stop for a pint of ale and a chip buttie.:cheers:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Following Wednesday afternoons horrible ride, I set myself a target today of 20 miles, a stretch target of 25 miles, and an it's all @ColinJ s fault target of 31.07 miles:smile: Moved the saddle back a little on the Boardman and set off through Virginia Water, intending to take in the bottom part of the lake around WGP. Arriving at the lake and seeing the swarms of people changed the plan, so I headed for Bishopsgate instead. Through the park and out of Rangers Gate before a run into Windsor. I had a decent tailwind all the way to Chertsey which was nice, the headwind all the way back to Staines and Egham less so.
31.52 miles, and I must get myself a windproof jacket that's not as bulky as the current one which won't fold up and fit in a jersey pocket. Probably end up with an Altura Pocket Rocket..

ColinJ

Following Wednesday afternoons horrible ride, I set myself a target today of 20 miles, a stretch target of 25 miles, and an it's all @ColinJ s fault target of 31.07 miles:smile: Moved the saddle back a little on the Boardman and set off through Virginia Water, intending to take in the bottom part of the lake around WGP. Arriving at the lake and seeing the swarms of people changed the plan, so I headed for Bishopsgate instead. Through the park and out of Rangers Gate before a run into Windsor. I had a decent tailwind all the way to Chertsey which was nice, the headwind all the way back to Staines and Egham less so.
31.52 miles, and I must get myself a windproof jacket that's not as bulky as the current one which won't fold up and fit in a jersey pocket. Probably end up with an Altura Pocket Rocket..
Well done! I am looking at the forecasts for the days ahead and wondering when I will get a decent ride in. I might try and get the 50 km ride done soon as insurance, and then try for 100 km a few days later if the weather improves.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just a quick 13 miles with 500 feet of elevation gain for us this morning. Round the marshes and up the Old Barnstaple Road to Ashford, then back along the Tarka Trail.
Very strong Westerly wind but a least it stayed dry.:thumbsup:
Missus added a host of Strava trophies including one, all time, QoM.:wahhey:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom