Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm not sure how much your fitness actually reduces as a result of a couple of weeks with almost no cycling. Maybe it's just the psychological effect but it feels, well, you know,...hard.
Forecast looks bad the next couple of days so I took the opportunity to get out this am. Glossop - Marple - New Mills - Long Hill (well named) - Disley - Marple - Glossop. 38 miles with 2800ft of climbing
Long Hill is a long hill, hence the name. About 5.5 miles but only about 3%. Today I was granted a bit of a headwind which made it a grind, particularly near the top where you're well over 1000ft up. Uneventful ride home until I was about 6 miles away and then I could hear the front tyre making a slightly different sound to usual. Stopped....slow puncture. Pumped it up somewhat but had to take it gingerly home, no flying round corners on half pressure.
I bought a pack of 5 Halfords tubes in the Autumn. I've had one dodgy valve, two slow punctures due to the inside seam of the tube failing, one full blown puncture (not the tube's fault) and now this. Think I'll buy elsewhere

mooseracer

Guru

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Once the rain topped persisting it down, I headed out for a few miles. A mate was off as well, but was busy until middayish, so we planned to meet up somewhere near or around Pitsford Reservoir.. He phoned me when I was about a mile away and we arranged what I thought was quite an easy plan. I'll ride clockwise round the water, he'll ride anti-clockwise and we'd meet in by the top dam with any luck.
Sounds so simple, eh :laugh:

I rode all the way round. No sign of him. I called him and he was riding clockwise... We could have ridden in circles all day and never quite met up, but I turned around and headed back the way I'd come to eventually meet...

DSC_0318.JPG

There he is!!! :bravo:ALAN..... :bicycle:

Oh well, on the way round, I grabbed a few pics up a side trail.

DSC_0310.JPG

DSC_0309.JPG

Great to get out in sunny weather, but with a blustery headwind heading south on the trails around the Res. I ended up doing a clockwise & anti-clockwise circuit, but sadly, no time for a coffee as I had to be home in time for MrsXXX to pick granddaughter up from school. We were the only two folk out on bikes there today, but there were quite a few walkers and joggers enjoying the fresh air.

A pleasant 27 miles today, with no w*rk so I can have a 'recovery' drink or two this evening..:cheers:

https://www.strava.com/activities/238365767

:smile:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
What appeared to be a great assessment for clothing required in the first half-an-hour slowly became a boil-in-the-bag situation as the clouds drifted away and the sun came out. I did a 30 mile loop out towards Whatfield again and found plenty of water about. :whistle:
The River Gipping at Bramford.
Welcome to The Gromlins 002.JPG

Tye Lane doing an impression of a river.

Welcome to The Gromlins 003.JPG

A new view for me - a quiet lane leading to Somersham that I'll be visiting again.

Welcome to The Gromlins 007.JPG

Mandragora

I've just 'stepped down' at work from a full-time, high responsibility, long hours job to a part-time, lower responsibility job (Yaaaay!!!)^_^ but one of the aspects of this is that there is, of necessity an element of 'trapped' time - the odd hour here or there where I'm not needed/paid, but it's not worthwhile driving the 25 mins home to turn round and head straight back. I'd promised myself I'd 'do something positive' in those periods, and that, whenever possible, it would involve cycling.

I'll be honest, though, I was dubious when the lashing torrential rain and howling gale woke me at 7am this morning, but the Met office promised me it would be sunny by 1pm, so, even though I didn't really believe it, I took a bit of time to pack the gear and bike into the car and headed off. Lo and behold, at 12.30, exactly as predicted, the sun came out, and by 1.05pm, I was changed and hauling my bike out of the back of the car. I had a great hour long ride, in the sun, and have just discovered an unexpected bonus of the long-longed for 'step down'. I now get a whole new territory to explore of fabulous rides up and down lanes (and, it turns out, unexpected mountains!) that I've never been near despite living in the general area for about 30 years.

IMAGE 1.jpg Image 2.jpg Image 3.jpg Image 4.jpg

Last edited:

Spartak