Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Skud - I love the silhouette photo under the glitter ball. Looks like you had a great time, your girls are just beautiful.
There is a Manchester to Blackpool night ride that I fancy trying, but it clashes this year with a prior arrangement so maybe next year.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
13.8 miles in the pouring rain. It wasn't raining when we went out but it was on the way home. Drenched to the skin and it wasn't helped by a lorry coming towards me and going through a huge puddle. I nearly got knocked off my bike by the ensuing wave. Mind you, my average speed was up a touch as I was in such a hurry to get home and dry.

Oh, my waterproofs aren't :sad:

Sandra6

Veteran
After to-ing and fro-ing from work and running errands Mr6 and I went out for a leisurely pootle along the river before tea, 8mile round trip, no hurry, enjoying a bit of sunshine.
We saw a chap with his bike up-turned and I slowed down and asked if he was ok, he was, afterwards Mr6 asked me what I thought I would do if he wasn't. Not sure about that one, but I felt better for having atleast enquired.
A passing cyclist shouted "helmet" at us. No idea why, I wasn't wearing one:whistle:

KateK

lost my concentration after bloke on electric bike cycled off pavement straight into my path and so I missed my turn. Didn't realise for 2 miles... so carried on and worked my way round villages to get back to where I'd meant to be going, but then it was too late as I had to be home after a couple of hours... Still nice ride although I'm sure the wind direction kept changing so that it was always against me. Definitely better than Saturday when I spent 20 minutes under a tree in thunderstorm hoping that it wasn't the tallest in the wood and cycled home in torrential rain, water spouting out of manhole covers, cycle lanes under water and no way of keeping brakes remotely functional. Luverly jubbly, shoes dry now though.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Skud - I love the silhouette photo under the glitter ball. Looks like you had a great time, your girls are just beautiful.
There is a Manchester to Blackpool night ride that I fancy trying, but it clashes this year with a prior arrangement so maybe next year.
Many thanks for the compliments,my girls keep me and my good lady on our toes,but they love cycling so major bonus ! The glitterball is just brilliant and with all the cyclists next to it just made the shot.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
After to-ing and fro-ing from work and running errands Mr6 and I went out for a leisurely pootle along the river before tea, 8mile round trip, no hurry, enjoying a bit of sunshine.
We saw a chap with his bike up-turned and I slowed down and asked if he was ok, he was, afterwards Mr6 asked me what I thought I would do if he wasn't. Not sure about that one, but I felt better for having atleast enquired.
A passing cyclist shouted "helmet" at us. No idea why, I wasn't wearing one:whistle:
Helmet ?? i've heard of them things :ph34r: Nice that you asked the cyclist if he was OK,i've done that a few times.

I went for a familiar wee loop to Stilton tonight but I felt like more and wondered up to Kings Cliffe exploring new roads. I got scalped enroute when I was going slow, the bloke look very pleased. I don't think his pleasure lasted long though, I upped the pace and when I looked back I couldn't see him any-more (there's no turn off's on that road :wacko: just a hill ;)). The average isn't great for the 43miles as I had to walk the bike a bit, I didn't have time to sit at the temporary lights on Oundle Road.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
First ride for a week. Dug my brothers rusty 1970's Falcon out of his barn, pumped up the tyres, adjusted the brakes and raised the saddle a couple of cm.
Planned a loop from Balfron of about 25 miles around the Campsies
Observations:
1. Downtube friction shifters are a bit of a pain. Thank god for STI and the like.
2. Old fat tyres and a gas pipe frame are hard work up hills.
3. Check seatpost length so it doesn't come out half way around your ride.
Apart from that nice to be out on a bike, despite the drizzle and wind.
IMAG0671.jpg

Bobario

Veteran
Did the Copper Trail in Anglesea this morning trying out my new Garmin's navigation gizmoid thingy. It worked an absolute treat and I never had to consult my paper map once. I had set myself an average speed of 10mph which I was fairly certain I would beat as the route is all on tarmac. Flew around the first half of the course and was so far ahead I stopped for 15 mins for a sarnie. It turned out the last half of the route was mostly uphill and I had to really push myself to keep up with my goals.

I ran out of puff about 3/4 of the way up a hill and had to stop for 30 secs or so to get my breath back. My excuse was that a farmers tractor was trying to get past. Then I ran out of water (and jelly babies) with about 8 miles to go. I got back to the car park and my final average speed was 10.7 mph which I was chuffed with as I was certain I was going to fail my goal. I put my stuff in the car and realised I'd been carrying all the tackle I usually take on my off road rides, rain jacket, two tubes, levers, pump, multi tool, chain tool, power links, repair kit, mobile phone and credit cards. Plus my sat nav and door keys. That and the fact I was riding a fairly heavy off road MTB with chunky off road tyres (plus the fact I'm a fat ******* who still smokes).

I know some of you could do that route in less than half the time, but the end result is I'm pleased with myself, as you can probably tell from this post.

That cycle computer will be the death of me. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom