Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
50 miles in the :sun: for Gilbert :hungry:

View attachment 23741

Love that cake:thumbsup:

Venod

Eh up
Today's ride was noteworthy not only for the ride but the drive there & back, it was the Ingleton Trailquest, now the journey up the A65 can be unpleasant, today it was sublime both ways, the patchwork of fields created by drystone walls the sheep & farms scattered on the hillside even the Wind turbines looked nice, there were Gypsies by the sides of the road with all their horses probably on route to Appleby Horse Fair, as well as the garish chrome decorated caravans pulled by 4x4 s they had some of the old green canvas covered caravans that reminded me of my schooldays, when they would come down our road in convoys all pulled by horses with other horses tied behind, not a 4x4 in site. approaching Ingleton the hills get bigger the familiar outline of Penyghent to the right with Ingleborough & Whernside straight ahead which together form the Three Peaks, there is a circular walk that starts at Horton in Ribblesdale that entails scaling all the three in 12 hours ( if you want a badge) I have done the walk several times & can recommend it.

On the way home there were Morris Men at Long Preston, children in the river at Gargrave next to the stepping stones, boats on Leeds Liverpool Canal, Jackson Browne & Kate Rusby playing on the stereo, all around stunning scenery, I had to pinch myself to see if I was still alive.

The bike ride was hard how can you have more up than down and end up where you started ? thats what it seemed like to me, it was a 5 hour ride so on getting my map I worked out a course, I would go in an anti clockwise direction through Clapham & Austwick collecting the controls on the way before heading North, at Cam End where the Pennine Way meets the Dales Way I would make the decision to go further North or head for the finish, well things didn't go to plan I picked up the wrong track going from Crummack to Clapham Bottoms and ended up carrying the bike over limestone pavements, if it had been wet it would have been miserable today the sun was shining so it was no hard, but it did put an end to any hope of a decent score.

At Cam End it was obvious because of the earlier mistake I had to head back, the last time I descended from Cam Head to the road it was a rough track the have now put loose gravel down you can get quite a bit of speed coming down but the gravel makes it a bit scary. There were vehicles both sides of the road at Ribblehead some having a picnic by their vehicles others off in the hills & some no doubt potholing, I went under the magnificent Ribblehead Viaduct to the next check point at Winterscales on to Ellerbeck & then the slog across Scales Moor to Twisleton Scar End, from here its downhill to Ingleton just as well as I was knackered, the last climb through Ingleton to finish and a welcome rest.

Not such a good ride points wise but what scenery and weather, " Nobody told me there would be days like this "

Competition Map without controls

http://nymbo.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/2013-ingleton-50000-without-controls.jpg

My Ride

http://app.strava.com/activities/56214980

flatflr

Guru
Decided to drag the mountain bike out for a quick spin and headed out with the plan to ride to Watership Down, only problem was that I missed it! I have a habit of heading in the general direction of somewhere. If I get there all good, if not I see some other places I wouldn't have seen otherwise, in this case an iron age fort:smile: Just 22 miles for me, forgot how much heavier than the Look the mountain bike was.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Sunday's Etape du Dales showed I'm short of hilly & long miles, particularly as I've got the 134-mile Dragon Ride Gran Fondo in 2 weeks, so I set out a 80+ mile ride to take in Holme Moss, Snake Pass and Strines : http://app.strava.com/activities/56138356

Well, might as well do them all in one go :crazy:

Oh, and I had to be back home by 1pm :eek:

6am the alarm went to a bright sunny morning, with a big brekkie I was off by 6.45am from Dewsbury, through Huddersfield and over Holme Moss in glorious sunshine before 8am with virtually no traffic. Down and up into Glossop (which I thought would be 'down', not 'up') and left up Snake Pass. Over that by 9am with the long drop to Ladybower and great views. Again, almost no-one else out, presumably since they were all still in bed!

A Sheffield club with long Italian name '... la bici' passed by coming up to Strines so I tagged on the back for a breather and they passed me / I passed them all along Strines until they re-grouped and I left them to it. A stop at Windmill Nurseries cafe after climbing to Royd Moor and back home to Dewsbury via Huddersfield. Oh, and I tried the new Dewsbury-Ossett Sustrans cycle way - which they still need to surface properly :ohmy:.

85 miles in total, almost all solo and in lovely sunshine.

Lol, I forgot to fill my water bottle before my ride today; its usually continuous but today we stopped at a bike shop for coffee :thumbsup:
Took it easy in the afternoon, popped for a haircut and a lbs for a new summer baselayer but it was still :sun: so I went for a slow longer ride.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Had to be in Bedford for work today so drove :sad: as far as Sandy, then cycled ^_^ the 7 miles or so along the old railway line (Sustrans route 51). On the way back I had time to take a pic or two.

Bedfordshire is a much overlooked county and there are still some quiet corners to be found- this is part of the route (took the toy bike today). Some trees are still not fully in leaf yet.

track.jpg

It's all tracks, and no traffic. No doubt the nitwits in Campaigning and Policy would rather be on the adjacent motorway like road nearby (A428) instead, and banging on about how off road routes are unnecessary.

They can whistle ^_^ this is cycling heaven. - A bit further along - the river Ouse

lock.jpg

Beautiful day- could have done with a few more miles really, but hope to make up for it back on home ground tomorrow. Stumbled across this lake at one stage.

bedford.jpg

kipster

Guru
First ride since an incident on Tuesday which saw me lying flat on my back on a road with a cracked crash helmet. A nice gentle 10 miles or so in the sun. Bike is working well, me not so good. Tweaked my back 7 miles in, probably related to the off. Hopefully it'll be ok for the planned 63 miles next weekend.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Bright and brief 30 miler. 18.3mph average. I've got a minor cold, so I didn't fancy doing a longer ride. Might go out again in the morning if I'm feeling perkier.

I felt perkier this morning, so I ventured out. Did 52 miles (2500ft) non-stop with a 16mph average speed. I'm quite chuffed because I slipped into my bottom gear ahead of the steepest climb (Ritton Bank) and the derailleur was hitting the spokes, so I had to slip it into a higher gear, and I still managed to get up all the climbs!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
44.7 miles
moving ave 16.5mph
max speed 38mph
total time 2hrs 48 mins
total ascent 591metres

lovely weather although still a bit windy in places. Up to Pulborough and back up Bury hill through Arundel etc..

Got stuck behind a numpty driver in Arundel who having overtaken parked cars when there was no room got herself stuck between the cars on her left and the land rover coming the other way...much amusement from cyclist behind...:whistle:...sat there for ten minutes while several numpties 'discussed' the situation...

...don't these people realize it's a beautiful day and they are missing it?:rolleyes:

Rode with a full rucksack as that's what i'll be carrying on Le Jog soon.

...now im on a lunch break^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Club run today.
Decided to chance my arm with the fast group so instead of riding at the front i was in the pack getting sucked along at about 2 mph faster than normal and only got dropped towards the end when i lost contact with the pack and i could not get back in .
cake stop was at Bosworth water park , very nice place .
Apparently it was a fairly easy , flat run :whistle:
60.42 miles in 2 hours 53 minutes.
I must admit i am not as knackered as the medium group ride but that ride leader knows where all the hills are and regularly leads us up them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom