Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Well done Mrs Aud :wahhey:

The mystery building looks like an old village 'lockup'

~Thanks for the info, never knew about them. It does look like it.

Linking from your link to Kingsbury episcopi it is indeed a lock up, it is on the wiki site.

Many thanks.

on the road

Über Member
Nice and warm here and with the sun out Mrs Aud and myself decided to do a longer ride than she would normally do.

Ended up with a 35 Mile (55Km) so she did it. Really leisurely pace and a coffee stop as well so not my normal sort of ride but really great day out with the wife.

Ended up going via Drayton to Muchelney abbey and back via Kingsbury Episcopi.

182943_10201396326456305_205249556_n.jpg

Somerset Signage.
Must have been a hot day ;)

flatflr

Guru
Wasn't feeling too good this morning (bit of a headache:whistle:), so left it until this afternoon to go out. Just 36 miles for me on most of my Newbury to Swindon route (6 months ago just 20 miles would have been a major adventure for me) so nice to be riding in the sun:smile:. Only just noticed the difference in road surface between Berks and Wiltshire, might have to move for better roads!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I did get out for my second ride of the day.^_^ A quick run out to Acton Burnell and back on the short version of the route.

It was a really nice evening :sun: and the roads were even quieter than usual, which was good. No photos this time as I was concentrating on the ride.

With a bit of a tail wind I absolutely flew on the first leg of the ride. Then the climb between Pitchford and Frodesley, followed by turning into the wind took the edge off the pace but I still managed what for me is a quite respectable speed overall.

17.1 miles covered at 15.9mph average and a 32.3mph top speed this time.:dance:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Having taken medical advice, which seemed to be that rest was undoubtedly the best course of action, but that mild exercise may be taken with care, I took out my sons doggy old MTB and did a light hours riding round the brickpits in these parts.
The roadbike was left at home, I just can't ride a roadbike slowly..it's just not possible, while an amble on a MTB seems quite normal.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
managed a 2.5 mile test ride on my newly acquired bike to a family members house and back to feed there cats whilst they are away .

bike rode nice the single speed is to low for me as legs spinning away

Cubist

Still wavin'
Took Cubette and Cubester to Philips Park yesterday, had a great ride, did the Jump side red first, then the bit alongside the M60 with the big square edged jump, then the jump side until the turn off that leads down the cheeky trail to the blue. We rode the blue three times in total. Great fun.

A bloke who had been sessioning the jumps stacked just as I was riding the first jump side... I heard him, and Cubette had stopped but loads of people were helping him (he was being filmed jumping.... no helmet or pads mind!) and she carried on. The ambulance was still loading him on two hours later. Hope he's OK. Cubester says it looked like his hip was dislocated.

Today I had a coule of hours spare and rode a local ish loop from Mirfield to Kirkheaton, then through the woods at the back of Dewsbury Golf Course. Only 9 miles, but what a fantastic ride. Loads of really good quality singletrack, and a couple of Strava Cat4 climbs off road. I got fastest Fat Bastard, and Fastest Old Bugger on the descent past the Golf Course.... and had had to slow down a lot for dogwalkers etc.
WP_000272.jpg

There's some absolutely sublime secret singletrack in the woods.... went exploring and had an absolute scream.
WP_000266.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I set out to do my 19 mile local loop taking in the 968 ft Cragg Vale climb this afternoon. I've done it twice recently since getting back on my bike post-illness so I know that I am capable of doing it. The thing is, the other times I was on my Basso which has some very low gears and I have ridden up at a very steady pace. The sun was shining today, however, so I decided to treat myself to a ride on my Cannondale instead. It is my fine-weather bike which is a lot of fun to ride, but it is a bit overgeared for my current state of (un)fitness. It meant that I was having to push a higher gear, rather than spin a lower one.

Anyway, I felt okay for the first couple of miles of the climb so I started to up my pace. That turned out to be a BIG mistake! :wacko:

My DVT-battered left leg soon started to feel the strain on the steepest part of the climb and my lungs were hurting, so I decided to pull over, take a drink and stretch my legs once the gradient eased a few hundred yards further on, by the farm buildings.

I was standing with my bike at the roadside when I suddenly felt extremely wobbly. I realised that I was going to faint unless I lay down fast. There was a big rock at the side of the road so I propped myself up against it and stretched my legs out in front of me. I'm sure that the drivers whizzing past thought that I was relaxing in the sun, but really I was just trying not to black out.

It was 10 Minutes before I could stand up again. There was no way that I was going to carry on up the climb over the moor so I turned round, freewheeled back down to Mytholmroyd and went home.

I ended up only doing 10.5 miles instead of the planned 19, and I have been feeling a bit queasy this evening.

I thought that I'd been feeling below par the past few days. I don't know whether I'm coming down with some bug, or whether this is related to my recent health problems. Either way, it is a bit of a blow. I'm going to have to be very careful not to overdo things again in the coming weeks. It's really frustrating not being able to do even the easiest of my normal rides at a reasonable pace, but that's how it is for now. Hmmmph! :sad:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I set out to do my 19 mile local loop taking in the 968 ft Cragg Vale climb this afternoon. I've done it twice recently since getting back on my bike post-illness so I know that I am capable of doing it. The thing is, the other times I was on my Basso which has some very low gears and I have ridden up at a very steady pace. The sun was shining today, however, so I decided to treat myself to a ride on my Cannondale instead. It is my fine-weather bike which is a lot of fun to ride, but it is a bit overgeared for my current state of (un)fitness. It meant that I was having to push a higher gear, rather than spin a lower one.

Well done Colin, I am sure you will get there in the end. Maybe you should change the gearing on your Cannondale until you get better, keep the existing stuff and put it back to normal when you recover. At least you can ride your best bike when you want. I have done it with my Secteur because of my dodgy knee, it works a treat :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done Colin, I am sure you will get there in the end. Maybe you should change the gearing on your Cannondale until you get better, keep the existing stuff and put it back to normal when you recover. At least you can ride your best bike when you want. I have done it with my Secteur because of my dodgy knee, it works a treat :smile:
Thanks. I think I needed a dose of reality and I got it today! I haven't even had the final blood test results from my consultant yet and I was already starting to think about metric and imperial centuries ...

I have 10-speed Chorus on the Cannondale and I already have the biggest possible cassette (13-29) but I am not fit enough to do much on the 39/29 bottom gear. I'd have to switch to a compact chainset which would be too expensive a change when it would (hopefully) only be needed for a few months. When I got the bike, I used to be okay on 15% climbs and be able to grunt my way up the steeper stuff.

The trouble round here is that the only roads that are easy on the Cannondale are the busy valley A-roads. The quieter, more scenic roads are littered with 10%-25% climbs.

The Basso isn't a bad bike and it has a tiny 26/28 bottom gear which will get me up anything I need to climb while I am building my fitness level back up.

I think I will take the GPS off the bike for now. It was looking at the readout that did for me today. I noticed that I was going about 10% faster than the previous time up the climb, and decided to see how far I could push myself. Answer: not far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom