Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Brilliant ride today from Wymondham through Hethersett and to Eaton via Ketteringham, E Carleton and Keswick. Free coffee at Waitrose the on past UEA, through West Earlham, Bowthorpe and Bawburgh. We stopped to collect stray post from our old place in Barford and then back home.
27.75 miles at a steady 11 mph average. The last 5 miles were very slow and we had to stop for chocolate as we were a bit lightheaded, should have had cake at Waitrose!

Checking out new trail tomorrow on the MTBs tomorrow:bicycle:

Quick 48km when I got in from work. This takes my total distance so far this month to 1039km

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Back on home ground yesterday after exploring the foreign terrain of Bedfordshire on Saturday. A 19 mile loop out on the Fen up to Wicken and back. I soon recovered from a slight case of 'wine flu' from the night before. Didn't take many photos as I'm always boring you lot woth Wicken pics, but this was a great spot for a breather.
Wicken.jpg

Apart from some thoughtless dog walkers, ( 'don't worry he won't hurt you' they always say as the thing tries to take a chunk of your leg!). Anyway, it was a fantastic ride and great to be out in warm sunshine. There were two cuckoos trying to outperform eachother's vocals when I took the above photo- I didn't get a glimpse of them today though.

Heading home past a village called Reach, I remembered @totallyfixed had told me about helping to plant a wood there some time ago, so I took this pic. The trees are doing really well and some I reckoned to be 30-40 feet high.
This is the wood..
RW2.jpg

Just a quick circuit yesterday- couple of hours or so. Hope to get more miles in next week.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Great weather in the Peak District Sunday so did a long one; 67 miles, 7,300ft climbing.

I have realised I am a bad weather cyclist. Couple of weeks ago I did a sportive a bit longer that this with similar climbing but in the wind and rain....and I was slower on Sunday. Too hot on the long climbs and hard to keep hydrated, managed to drink 4l in 5 hours
Glossop - Marple - Goyt Valley - Longnor - Wildboarclough - Bollington - Pott Shrigley - Marple - Glossop

And a lesson in cycling humility...Wildboarclough valley is about 5 miles of gentle uphill. I passed a couple of roadies and was tootling along when......whoosh.....lady MBer flew past me. Full knobbly tyres. Latched onto the wheel but after about half a mile I blew up, couldn't hold her pace. Need to try harder, or lose weight, or train more, or get some EPO or...or...or......

Bring on the wind and rain :becool:

Haven't posted on here for a while as otherwise engaged but the last 3 days including today have been good for riding. Saturday was pure training for dr_pink with me hanging on for dear life, she on tt bike, me on geared [:eek:] road bike. As she is recovering from a very long term chest infection I had expected an easier ride, I am officially stupid and realised this irrefutable fact when I looked at my cycle computer to see we were doing 22.6 mph into a head wind on a road that was anything but smooth. I normally say to her "push on now if you want" [after we have warmed up], on this occasion I decided I might keep quiet :smile:.
Sunday was a hard 65 miler where I got the onset of cramp and had to soft pedal the last 8 miles.
Today was a drive out to Coningsby in Lincolnshire to check out the National 25 mile TT course. We parked up at the point where the race starts [9th June if anyone is from that area] and had a ride around, we normally do this to get acquainted with the turns/surface/potholes etc. Today a brutal headwind was blowing, gusting over 30 mph and holding a line over 6 mile stretches of dead straight featureless roads with higher volumes of traffic than we expected was not fun. Not going at race pace but nevertheless holding just 17 mph was not easy. A few other National entrants were also checking it out but no one was smiling.

Licramite

Über Member
out for a good one on sunday, its only about 30miles but it's got steep short hills, steep long hills, on road and off road though lovely bluebell woods - apart from being overtaken whilst sing to the sheep,- I have definately decided clipless are great unless you fall off then they are death traps.
bike skidded out on gravel , just slid out from under me on the road camber, (I do wonder why bikes need the ability for the front wheel to go 90 degrees it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to limit its traverse, )
normally I would probably end up hoping along on my left leg , but no by the time I had unclipped it was knee, forarm shoulder head. (the helmet survived without a scrath - the rest of me didn't) - but if you don't come back without blood leaking out somewhere (ussually its the peddle that gets me) its hardly a bike ride.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The ride today last night 33 miles accross the New Forest
Tell us more (please ^_^)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
When it finally stopped raining at about 7pm, the enemy and I did a quick blast round a 20.11 mile route, the sun poking out every now and then through very angry looking clouds, though, oddly the roads were dry, even though it has been pissing down all day. There is a short but very steep hill near us, and at the top you can see for miles across the farm land, in one field there were some baby moo cows, very sweet, the farms round here seem to be getting more cattle lately, which is nice.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I collected my bike today from the LBS after having it serviced (ouch). My plan was just to pop down to the station and back, 8 miles, to get my train ticket for going down to that there London tomorrow night for the FNRttC, then I thought I'd take the long way back, 15 miles, then I thought I'd go up Brill hill and back home that way, so 25:61 miles. Quite a few cyclists out this afternoon too, on some bling machines. Bloody crappy headwind for last 8miles, I hate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom