Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toeclip

Guru
Ouch once, Ouch twice, yes I got caught twice in those hailstones this morning on a short ride out of 9 miles to Upminster for a paper.

When the forecast is for blustery showers in the Peak District this means howling gales and drenchings on the tops so decided to stay local and do a few ascents of Snake Pass
On the second one it started snowing (yes, snowing!) on the top so I sacked it and went home.

yep - I was out in the car for a hospital appointment (40 miles away in Oswestry) and it was 4C, sleet, snow, hail causing flooding over this way on the cheshire plains/welsh borders and it was not just a single squall either. 30 mins later, it is bright and sunny again, then back to hail & sleet with snow mixed in for good measure. Spring is still putting up resistance, but I think summer is honestly winning, but not yet at the point of Summer, just summer.... if you catch my drift.

Well last evening was a complete contrast to the above post. It was supposed to me one of my club training nights but everyone was wimping out probably due to the strong winds and repeated hailstorms throughout the day :rolleyes: Initially, I decided I'd join the couch brigade too but after stewing for 45mins I went out anyway but on the heavy fixie rather than the good bike (sorry Viking you are good honest ;)) . It looked quite bright west but I was unsure of light so headed north, the rain then started about 7:15pm and got heavier and heavier! Its an old roman road so once you're going that way there isn't much opportunity to change direction but the minute I got to Wandsford where I could the rain stopped. I then circled back south where it started to rain again but only drizzle and I realised that I had ample time to go further (I should have done that initially :blush:) so I looped down by Stilton and came back by Yaxley and Farcet. RWGPS puts it at 31.2miles with 1050ft of climbing; which to be honest is quite flat but the heavy fixie at least made it seem like a bit of a workout :rolleyes:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Someone in my cycling group is leading an "away" ride in a couple of weeks along the Exe Valley Way so I went with her today to do a recce. We did 30-something miles, battling headwinds and crosswinds (I nearly had a Steve McQueen moment when a crosswind attempted to push me off the path and into a barbed wire fence) but somehow avoiding the rain, which started about five minutes after we loaded the bikes into the car. :wahhey:

No cake was consumed :ohmy: but I did have a bacon and brie pannini and an ice cream :mrpig:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Been away for 3 weeks on a bike ride. Started on Arran then Kintyre, including The Mull thereof, Knapdale, Mull, Ardnamurchan, Outer Hebrides, Wester Ross, Cape Wrath, Strath More and Strath Naver, Dunnet Head, JoG and the proper top right hand corner - Duncansby Head. Visited a pal in Glasgow on the way back and did some miles with him too. Super excellent tour 1000+ miles and 69,000 feet climbed. But never mind the stats - huge big grins all the way round with stunning scenery, quiet single track roads and masses of emptiness too. ^_^

john59

Guru
As I have things to do in the afternoon I was up and away just before 7.00 am. Took a ride down to Chester and then to Farndon in Cheshire. Then over to Wales for a circular route back home, 112km covered.
The weather was beautiful and there were a few cyclists out taking advantage of that yellow thing in the sky.
http://app.strava.com/activities/56132239
River Alun
River-Alun1.jpg
River-Alun.jpg

Ferry Lane Bridge now open.
Ferry-Bridge-1.jpg

View: http://youtu.be/Rdss0Vfw3EA

John

potsy

Rambler
50 miles in the :sun: for Gilbert :hungry:

IMAG0282.jpg