Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
30.28 miles from Wymondham to Dereham and back along the B1135 as OH was not feeling his best.
I had a great time as did Hubby, but we did have to stop a few times. I think that they might have taken a bit too much off him at dialysis last night and think that he might be dehydrated. Hubby is only allowed 800ml of fluid a day and the hospital say that they are not keen for him to have extra while he's cycling :ohmy: They are, however, very keen for him to cycle. I think that he needs to be having a bit of a chat with them.

The ride took 2 hours 32mins which is a bit slower than I like but I was only half a mile and hour off my long ride pace so I am not very dissatisfied in the grand scheme of things. With Hubby not being as well as he could be and feeling wobbly, I reckon that we did well.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
a full 5 miles with
2013-06-16115108_zps7575784d.jpg

before we hit a 'time warp'

2013-06-16115056_zps1afb6d18.jpg

& then it all went a bit wrong as I'd not tightened the stem & it got a bit wobbly...

& we needed to walk the final 2 1/2..

He still smiles & makes fathers day ...
(fixed it later & went for a test ride)
2013-06-16114446_zps9a0ec0a8.jpg

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Turned left up Mill lane, is it that way?
Will have a look next time now I know my way :thumbsup:
No,through the tunnels heading towards Wilmslow and turn left at the roundabout as you come out of the second tunnel.There is a path that follows the originla road before the runway was built.Mill lans heads back towards Ashley and Tatton Park.....steep drop down and steep climb out but good for you :eek:

G3CWI

Veteran
Over to Longnor for Oatcakes with cheese and apple. Then on to Earl Sterndale via a very circuitous route for a pint at the Quiet Woman. Finally back home for tea and cakes. Lots of roadies out. Overtook umpty-dozen; two overtook me. It seems that outings in the depths of the winter really do pay dividends. Enjoyed some nice chats with other cyclists on the way so while I was on my own it did feel quite sociable. Feeling quite fit for an old bloke.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got in at just before 6am from a 47 minutes 11.09 mile ride. I meant to go slowly - I know that a lot of you are saying 'you were going slowly' but 14.1mph average is not too bad for a slow ride for me.
I have a nice loop from home to Wreningham, across Hethel Road, down the cyclepath by Lotus and back on St Thomas Road and into Wymondham, under the rail bridge and home. Its between 11.01 miles and 11.09 miles depending. Not sure quite how it varies like that but it does. Probably if I go the long way around the bends to avoid the potholes its further than if I go between the left edge of the road and the pothole.

After 30 miles, stop and start, yesterday, I wanted to spin my legs a bit. I found a cadence and stuck with it, staying in little ring the whole way around. I didn't feel in a hurry at all as I watched the rabbits dashing across the road and dodged a brace of pheasants so I was astonished that I was only 1 min & 19 seconds off my best time. All I can think is that I must be getting fitter. It was a great ride & my Giant feels better after having it apart and cleaning it in the bath last night. I don't have an outside hose & I live in a flat, the bath seems a good plan to me.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I did my first century today.:wahhey: Now everything hurts (torso as well as legs - is this normal?)

After successfully doing my first metric century and first 75miler recently I wanted to push it to the next logical step, so was up early and out by 7.30am for a grand tour of North Shropshire.

I'd plotted a route that I thought was about 100 miles, but added in an extra loop to be certain. I started by heading south to Acton Burnell and Cressage, then turned north to Upton Magna then via the lanes to Market Drayton. From there I headed across to Whitchurch before joining NCN route 31 to Ellesmere. The plan was to head for Oswestry after this but I realised that it would take me well over the 100 miles so changed my route to head to West Felton and Knockin before rejoining the planned route at Melverley. The final leg was via Westbury and round Lyth Hill.

I would like to take this opportunity to state that this mornings BBC weather forecast was a blatant lie!:ohmy: They said it would be cloudy but dry with sunny intervals later in the afternoon. What actually happened was that from about Acton Burnell onwards I was dogged by frequent annoying showers. :angry:

The idiots seemed to be out in force as well today. I've had 3 overtakes followed immediately by turning off.:rolleyes: An attempted overtake at a pinch point which suddenly turned into an emergency stop :wacko: and numerous close passes.

Having got that off my chest, the rest of the ride was pretty good. I got onto plenty of roads I've never ridden before and been to a couple of places I've wanted to cycle to for ages.

Going from 75 to 100 miles was quite a big step, possibly a bit too big as I started to struggle around the 75 mile mark. At one point I seriously considered abandoning the ride and phoning for help. Stubbornness kicked in though and once past 80 miles I found a renewed strength. (Well, sort of. Lets just say I wasn't breaking any records climbing the hills.:blush:)

The final tally was 103.01 miles at an average speed of 12.9mph. Really happy with that for a first attempt.:thumbsup:

DSC01540.JPG

On the Attingham Estate.

DSC01544.JPG

I dropped in at my Aunt's on the way round. Been wanting to cycle over there for ages.

DSC01546.JPG

At Whitchurch, one of the Mercian Way markers.

DSC01548.JPG

This caught me by surprise at Whixall. I didn't realise we had any bascule bridges.

DSC01551.JPG

Down at The Mere, Ellesmere.

DSC01554.JPG

:whistle:

DSC01556.JPG

Also at Knockin.

DSC01559.JPG

The speedometer had just clicked over onto 100 miles at this point.

DSC01561.JPG

:wahhey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom