Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
We did 15 miles today, exploring local cycle routes. We set off to follow route 55, a disused railway path. Spectacularly, we went wrong within a yard of the point we came off the road in Monton, and ended up at the Bridgewater Canal, where the towpath fizzled out. Retracing, we found the actual railway path, but we may go back and explore the green space on foot sometime, it was very pretty.

Anyway, once on the railway path we pootled along, even spotting some station remains on the way:
DSC_1611.JPG

Not long after this the path was blocked by construction work for a new sewer, which we'd been forewarned about, so we followed the detour - which wasn't the most bike friendly access point:

DSC_1612.JPG

Never mind, on we go. The surface was a bit chewed up by the construction traffic, and I'm spoilt by the long tarmac path to Selby, but I coped on my skinny wheels. Although there was the odd obstacle:
DSC_1613.JPG

We carried on past Little Hulton station remains:
DSC_1614.JPG

and then diverged from the bike path to have a look at Peel Park, where we thought there might be a cafe according to Google Maps. There wasn't, but there was an amusing bench:
DSC_1615.JPG

From there we retraced our tracks along the bike path as far as Walkden, where we found a cafe for a coffee, and then back as far as the East Lancs Road, where we took the roadside bike path back to Salford, in order to pick up a ceramic piece NT had made at the arts project, and which had finally been fired. Then it was a quick hop back along the Eccles Road to home.

A very nice morning out. The path has its drawbacks - the surface is a bit rough in places, and there were a few spots where we had to come up to a road, dismount, cross and remount, thanks to narrow gates, in a way I suspect the trains never did. Also most of the access points were steps only, which would be a problem for a heavily laden rider, or anyone with trouble lifting their bike. But it's a nice way to escape the Manchester traffic I still find a little intimidating. Next time, we'll explore a bit further along!

(Having said that, on the East Lancs, three separate drivers slowed and waited for us to cross sideroads before they turned in, despite them really having priority, and us being fully prepared to stop for them!)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today's ride was Brighton ~ London today having stayed overnight after the L2B yesterday.

Seemed like a totally different ride as all the 'downs' were 'ups' & all the 'ups' were 'downs'!!
The downhill run into Brighton yesterday was real a leg burner on the way up, BUT Ditchling became a 30 MPH blast on the way down. We were planning on tea & a bacon butty at Fanny's Farm Shop as that was about 2/3 of the way back but it was closed :sad:

Made a couple of wrong turns as it's not easy on some of the junctions to remember which way the route came. We knew when we were OK by spotting bike debris, labels & lost bottles etc.
Got back to Clapham where we parked the cars and finally got home at 6 this evening. Great couple of days with good friends and already planning next year!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
We did 15 miles today, exploring local cycle routes. We set off to follow route 55, a disused railway path. Spectacularly, we went wrong within a yard of the point we came off the road in Monton, and ended up at the Bridgewater Canal, where the towpath fizzled out. Retracing, we found the actual railway path, but we may go back and explore the green space on foot sometime, it was very pretty.

Anyway, once on the railway path we pootled along, even spotting some station remains on the way:
View attachment 24900

Not long after this the path was blocked by construction work for a new sewer, which we'd been forewarned about, so we followed the detour - which wasn't the most bike friendly access point:

View attachment 24901

Never mind, on we go. The surface was a bit chewed up by the construction traffic, and I'm spoilt by the long tarmac path to Selby, but I coped on my skinny wheels. Although there was the odd obstacle:
View attachment 24904

We carried on past Little Hulton station remains:
View attachment 24903

and then diverged from the bike path to have a look at Peel Park, where we thought there might be a cafe according to Google Maps. There wasn't, but there was an amusing bench:
View attachment 24905

From there we retraced our tracks along the bike path as far as Walkden, where we found a cafe for a coffee, and then back as far as the East Lancs Road, where we took the roadside bike path back to Salford, in order to pick up a ceramic piece NT had made at the arts project, and which had finally been fired. Then it was a quick hop back along the Eccles Road to home.

A very nice morning out. The path has its drawbacks - the surface is a bit rough in places, and there were a few spots where we had to come up to a road, dismount, cross and remount, thanks to narrow gates, in a way I suspect the trains never did. Also most of the access points were steps only, which would be a problem for a heavily laden rider, or anyone with trouble lifting their bike. But it's a nice way to escape the Manchester traffic I still find a little intimidating. Next time, we'll explore a bit further along!

(Having said that, on the East Lancs, three separate drivers slowed and waited for us to cross sideroads before they turned in, despite them really having priority, and us being fully prepared to stop for them!)
You are in my patch ! Hope you had a great time

A really enjoyable ride at the weekend despite the build up!
Went up north for the weekend and prepped my Bianchi but felt rubbish on a 30 odd mile into a strong head wind and it gears were slipping a bit (or so I thought). Doh, I then realised the brakes were rubbing and knew I had a new chain/cassette in the house and convinced my self it was that and the wind as to the way I was feeling. The old cassette came of quite easily even with a half broken chain whip but then the hub fell apart, the pawl spring had snapped :sad: Put it all together and went for a wee test run, got 2 and a 1/2 miles and the hub went alltogether, the snapped pawl which was giving a little bit of spring failed completely.
Never mind I have the Kinesis and its lower geared and probably would have been ideal for the weekend. So I cleaned it up only to discover a mahoosive crack through the Carbon chain stay.
After a panic, I realised by brother is the same size as me (well 1/4 of a inch smaller much to his disgust) and he has a new bike so perhaps I could borrow his cyclocross.
It took a bit of cleaning but thankfully it/he saved the weekend :smile:
So after half an hours kip (Fri/Sat) we headed up to the Cairngorm 100. The fore cast was for heavy showers was almost completey wrong; we drove through heavy rain but when we got there it was a light mist and after we registered it turned delightfully warm. I still wore a gilet just incase but I never needed it. I was also delighted that despite its lack of gears it descends well and I reached 45.4mph and +41mph on another couple of occasions. Slightly unfortunately despite feeling comfortable in the pack, after 23miles I shifted to the wee ring on a climb and the chain came off; in the moment I took to fix it I was off. A wee bit later another club mate who had also had a mechanichal (a blow out on that same 45mph descent; some folk in the club were +50mph :ohmy:) came by with a few others and invited me to tag on which for the next 15-20miles I was able to do so then I started to fade and fell off that group but their consistent 24mph ave had got my average speed up and despite me fading my average stayed not too bad, even after 30miles on my own when multiple cramps hit, done my best to spin them off but had to drop to a more sustainable pace. The sportive finishes on the same mountain as which it started, needless to say I wasn't going the same 45mph up it ;)
After which much alcohol was comsumed :cheers:strangely enough despite leaving the night club at 2am I felt not too bad on Sunday. About 5 hours after I got back the lack of sleep/ events finally hit and when I got a FBook message asking me to go for a ride I thought I'd pass up. A moment later however, he also sent a text promising it'd be an easy recovery ride, so I went out. It was kind of a recovery ride compared to the Saturday but 21miles at 16.6mph and a 1,000 ft of climbing but strangely I felt good. I knew it couldn't last felt knackered yesterday but it was worth it :smile:

PeteXXX

After L2B and B2L, today was just a 10 miler off road on the Marin to keep the legs turning. Nothing special but nice to do a few bridle ways from Overstone to Sywell after a lot of road rides recently..
I managed to reduce the bug population by three. At least they keep me sustained as I hadn't bothered taking any food with me!

Just back in from a 95 mile café run!!! Intended to just go out for a couple of hours but met a couple of guys who were going down to Sanquhar then over the Mennock Pass. As it was such a nice day I decided to join them. Good ride on such fairly smooth (for the most part) roads and not much traffic to be seen. Lunch stop at Wanlockhead (highest village in Scotland) then a nice wee tailwind all the way home.

matthat

Über Member
Just back in from a 95 mile café run!!! Intended to just go out for a couple of hours but met a couple of guys who were going down to Sanquhar then over the Mennock Pass. As it was such a nice day I decided to join them. Good ride on such fairly smooth (for the most part) roads and not much traffic to be seen. Lunch stop at Wanlockhead (highest village in Scotland) then a nice wee tailwind all the way home.
Must be one hell of a cafe for a 95 mile round trip on a bike!! Lol saying that I did 60 mile loop last week for a cafe run!! :smile:

PeteXXX

Tailwind on the way home??? Must move to Scotland... It's never like that in Northampton!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Can I put in an application to join the 100 club?

I'd set out with a route of just under 80 miles loaded to my Garmin - Out via Woodbridge, Snape, Leiston and Blythburgh to Halesworth and then back via Framlingham, Wickham Market and Woodbridge (again) to home. However as I still had plenty of energy left I diverted into and around the top of Ipswich and looped down to Felixstowe to round the mileage up to 100.3 for my first ever century. As it's fairly flat round here the elevation gain isn't much at 1685ft (although I prefer the Bikehike measurement of 2505ft!) but I was impressed with a moving average speed of 18.2mph:smile: especially as I this was non-stop apart from at junctions & traffic lights.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Can I put in an application to join the 100 club?

I'd set out with a route of just under 80 miles loaded to my Garmin - Out via Woodbridge, Snape, Leiston and Blythburgh to Halesworth and then back via Framlingham, Wickham Market and Woodbridge (again) to home. However as I still had plenty of energy left I diverted into and around the top of Ipswich and looped down to Felixstowe to round the mileage up to 100.3 for my first ever century. As it's fairly flat round here the elevation gain isn't much at 1685ft (although I prefer the Bikehike measurement of 2505ft!) but I was impressed with a moving average speed of 18.2mph:smile: especially as I this was non-stop apart from at junctions & traffic lights.
Well done!:bravo:

Very impressed with that average speed!:thumbsup:

edwardd67

Took my mate out tonight 30 miles. He's a Marathon runners and fit .Only had his bike for 3 or 4 weeks to be honest.
Think he was a wee bit surprised with how fast both my wife and I were on the bikes.
530 Miles we've ridden since start of May.
Told him the only way to get faster is to ride more, ride further and ride faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom