Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
from yesterday: 40-odd miles around Warrington and points to the SW. There are a good few bridleways around there that are perfectly rideable on a CX bike atm as it has been so dry. I don't recommend riding in shorts though, the nettles are coming up nicely. Some of the BWs are even without gates and are a blast.
I also paddled a bit in Hatchmere which wasn't much fun: cold and peat brown, like swimming in cold tea. Quite shallow for a ways out , I did not go out of my depth. Then off to get some eggs from Poplar Farm, Antrobus: £2 a dozen for large size and absolutely delicious.:highfive:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Did my first ever 100 miler today, very hard work.

http://app.strava.com/activities/61398322

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
from yesterday: 40-odd miles around Warrington and points to the SW. There are a good few bridleways around there that are perfectly rideable on a CX bike atm as it has been so dry. I don't recommend riding in shorts though, the nettles are coming up nicely. Some of the BWs are even without gates and are a blast.
I also paddled a bit in Hatchmere which wasn't much fun: cold and peat brown, like swimming in cold tea. Quite shallow for a ways out , I did not go out of my depth. Then off to get some eggs from Poplar Farm, Antrobus: £2 a dozen for large size and absolutely delicious.:highfive:

Oy Chris- have you put yourself down for the three peaks this year?

Christopher

Über Member
Oy Chris- have you put yourself down for the three peaks this year?
Nope - I am all talk, dan! Won't make excuses I just didn't want to. tbh I am thinking of giving up organised rides & CX in favour or solo/informal rides like the above, esp as I haven't enjoying club rides lately, too much like hard work. I also like stopping for a pint or two which doesn't seem to happen on club rides...

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Nope - I am all talk, dan! Won't make excuses I just didn't want to. tbh I am thinking of giving up organised rides & CX in favour or solo/informal rides like the above, esp as I haven't enjoying club rides lately, too much like hard work. I also like stopping for a pint or two which doesn't seem to happen on club rides...

Know what you mean. Do enjoy ragging it though, even if i'm not all that good at it.....:thumbsup:

postman

Legendary Member
A my newt 30 miles,just got back.Tow path to Saltaire.What a really nice ride, quiet on the path,treated myself to a medium sized 99 in Roberts Park.It was like Everest,when i said how big it was.The guy told me his dad had been an ice cream man,his motto was give them plenty and they come back.Next time i will go back and take my mate.A superb 99.

edindave

Über Member
Nice windy, hilly ride round the Forth today.

Excitement after crossing the Forth Bridge, I passed George Berwick (the James Bond of Audax), who was heading south.
Added excitement while crossing Kincardine Bridge. A bird of prey of some sort (obviously startled by my presence on its bridge) took to wing with a lot of loud screeching, straight into my path. I nearly had a heart attack.

http://app.strava.com/activities/61410296

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a quick spin on the knockabout bike to loosen the legs after the long ride on monday.

It was mostly on one of my regular routes, but for a bit of variation I decided to try out the new cycle path along Smithfield Road. Excellent for beginners as it gets them away from a very busy section of road,:thumbsup: but experienced cyclists will stick to the road I think.

From there I headed past the gaol and out of town via Sydney Avenue, where I was flagged down by a chap who was concerned about a collapsed horse (on its back with legs up against a fence - and looked in a bad way). I was just working out who was best to phone when the horse perked up, managed (with a bit of a struggle) to get up and trotted off as if nothing had happened. Bit of an odd moment. I think it was winding us up.:blink:

The rest of the ride to Atcham, Condover and home was quite pleasant as I had the wind behind me and was able to scoot along at a decent pace.

19.1 miles covered this time at an average of 13.4mph.

DSC01563.JPG

Down by the slinky (officially known as Quantum Leap). When it was initially put up it didn't meet in the middle.:giggle:

DSC01564.JPG

These sculptures are more to my taste. They represent Wilfred Owen (war poet) and Martin Wood (Shrewsbury's town crier, and at 7'2" officially the tallest town crier in the world).

DSC01565.JPG

Condover church with evidence of a recent wedding.

DSC01566.JPG

It's been a glorious day here. Looking south from Lyth Hill.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My 8 mile commute ended up as a 25 mile hill fest with 2200 feet of climbing. Upto Sutton past the Hanging Gate, through Wildboarclough, down past Lamaload reservoir, out via Deadmans (didn't fancy Pym's Chair tonight) upto the top of the Brickworks then fast fast fast down to Adlington. Great views, great weather and virtually no traffic. I am one lucky guy having the option to extend my commute like that.

Well that was probably harder work than it needed to be :rolleyes:
Left work at 4:30 sprinted back to the flat and went out for a proper ride just before 5pm. Lol Forgot the last time the gps was on was up north (Scotland) so itd take a while to find satellites, so I spun slowly along the route; doh, then I realised I left my front light a home. Hummed and hahhed about going back for it but decided, if I upped the pace I'd be fine, which I did 14mph after 2miles quickly rose to 18mph, after 25miles or so I was unable to sustain it on a hilly route and I started to fall behind target (mindful its not as long a summer day down south). So when it got flatter again, despite the head wind I upped it again, boosted by the knowledge I'd have a tailwind when I turned. After the that and the tail wind, I got back ahead of target. Until Maxey! The level crossing barriers were down (doh, I'd forgot about them) but as I approached they started to rise, my luck was in, no it immediately went down again I had a long wait in the fading light. When I got going again I opted for a route through the park, it'll have brought the average down but I didn't want to give a driver an excuse to hit me :ohmy:
:blush:

Kies

The new phone for dad arrived today (fathers day prezzie). Decided to get the Sirrus out and ride over around 7pm. No Garmin, no phone strava .... West London was very quiet and I enjoyed the 8 miles each way.
Dad loved his new phone (big button old school type)
Really reminded why I love cycling so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom