Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Fantastic place to cycle the NF. I will be down there inOctober with another CC member to ride the 50 mile cycletta.^_^

Certainly is lovely, every time we set out for a ride someone comments on how lucky we are to have it on our doorstep. Keep thinking I should take my bike to work for a lunchtime or afterwork ride, but the thought of cycling near Theale/Reading puts me off (mainly due to the traffic and nutter commuters)

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Certainly is lovely, every time we set out for a ride someone comments on how lucky we are to have it on our doorstep. Keep thinking I should take my bike to work for a lunchtime or afterwork ride, but the thought of cycling near Theale/Reading puts me off (mainly due to the traffic and nutter commuters)

Urghh use the car and escape as quick as you can back to the Forest.

G3CWI

Veteran
First trip to Polocini. Almost entirely off-road from Macc which was great. Met a chap walking his ferret (on a lead) who told me how to get to Romiley from the end of the Middlewood Way via the new walkers/cyclists bridge. Consumed coffee, porridge and "the cake". Excellent and very friendly. Trip carefully timed to miss the Sportive testostrone junkies. 28 miles

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_2167[1].JPG
    Optimized-IMG_2167[1].JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Optimized-IMG_2169[1].JPG
    Optimized-IMG_2169[1].JPG
    66 KB · Views: 57
  • Optimized-IMG_2168[1].JPG
    Optimized-IMG_2168[1].JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 46

Peteaud

Veteran
For a change, we put our old hybrid bikes (the ones people think are overweight and a waste of time) on the car rack and headed off to North Devon and Bideford to cycle some of The Tarka Trail, an old railway line. We have been meaning to do this for a few years but never got round to it so was really looking forward to a nice gentle "normal" bike ride.

We set off from Bideford across the bridge and picked up the route heading south..

1094821_10201864805968000_18281514_n.jpg

Across the river

399191_10201864813448187_241214543_n.jpg

To the tunnel

1006320_10201864817368285_1041847289_n.jpg

Making lots of silly whoo whoo noises going through...

1097938_10201864826488513_1180744093_n.jpg

603342_10201864841728894_557246455_n.jpg

The spirit of woodstock is alive and well.

76006_10201864846729019_1872315327_n.jpg

Old station

999555_10201864871329634_1050658067_n.jpg

CAUTION.

Did a 21 mile out and back, nothing to hard but just a nice bike ride, in the sun and loved every single second of it. We are hoping to go back and head north a bit next time.

Also noted is the fact that we need to get out on the hybrids more just to have a leisure ride.

Whilst sitting at the cafe we got talking to a french couple who asked us "where are we" and put down a road atlas of the uk!!
We asked them, where have you come from? the reply - The South of France:wacko:. Yes, 2 decathlon / BTwin bikes (Riverside) hooked up to 2 trailers fully loaded and also the dog had cycled from the south of france, all the way to north devon and further....

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Took younger brother out for another ride.He's been riding almost weekly with me on a 20-25 mile loop for 2 months now.

He's been getting quicker after buying a Trek Madone 2.0 (I'm on my Ridgeback Tour 2013 c/w a pannier) and has been getting closer to me/harder to pass on Strava sprints/climbs, so I decided to throw a few hills in to (cough, ahem....) give him a little light exercise.

40 miles and 1,600 feet of climbing (2 hills - rest are nothing to write home about) and he seems to have eased up a bit - :whistle:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Got my first proper 100 mile in a single ride today, nice ride out to Grassington, one puncture on the return and a nice bit of company from Sean/Shaun? for ten miles at Otley. 103.8 at 16.9 so no records broke but not bad nonetheless. Good views and way too many cyclists than I could shake a stick at. I have confimed to my self that I am no master climber so Froomey is safe and Wiggo is definitely safe from me on my lilly livered attempts at descending never mind any that are good at it.

Hill Wimp

Got my first proper 100 mile in a single ride today, nice ride out to Grassington, one puncture on the return and a nice bit of company from Sean/Shaun? for ten miles at Otley. 103.8 at 16.9 so no records broke but not bad nonetheless. Good views and way too many cyclists than I could shake a stick at. I have confimed to my self that I am no master climber so Froomey is safe and Wiggo is definitely safe from me on my lilly livered attempts at descending never mind any that are good at it.

Well done 100 miles is some feat and im glad it was enjoyable. Yet to get there myself so total respect:thumbsup:

Went on a Sky Ride this morning. The official mileage for this ride was 25 miles which ended up being nearly 30 miles and 15 miles were added on for me as I had to get to the ride start and then back home at the end of the ride so it ended up being 45 miles on my hybrid. the ride involved 20 riders; I really enjoyed it but was knackered after 40 miles so it was a slow ride home. More than half the riders rode road bikes, and they did this ride with no problems but I am thinking that a bike with less weight than mine and slick tires compared to my semi slicks it would be easier. I am buying a Specialized Allez Sport road bike in a few weeks time so I will be able to experience the difference.

Hill Wimp

Went on a Sky Ride this morning. The official mileage for this ride was 25 miles which ended up being nearly 30 miles and 15 miles were added on for me as I had to get to the ride start and then back home at the end of the ride so it ended up being 45 miles on my hybrid. the ride involved 20 riders; I really enjoyed it but was knackered after 40 miles so it was a slow ride home. More than half the riders rode road bikes, and they did this ride with no problems but I am thinking that a bike with less weight than mine and slick tires compared to my semi slicks it would be easier. I am buying a Specialized Allez Sport road bike in a few weeks time so I will be able to experience the difference.

Well done for doing it :bravo:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Only time for a quick 10 miler here today. We're off to Canada tomorrow for a couple of weeks holiday, but I needed a break from Mrs G. fussing about how slow I am at packing and the hundred and one things needed before leaving. I'm sure I remember years ago you just shoved stuff in a rucksack and buggered off. Not any more ot seems.

Anyway, a slow saunter across familiar territory on the fen here today, through Lode then along the Lodes Way. Hardly anyone about which was a surprise as it was a pretty nice day here. turned off towards Reach near Lords Ground Farm and then cut through to Swaffham Prior along an old track. Didn't take many pics today as it was such a short spin, but the twin churches at Swaffham Prior looked wonderful, so here they are.

download.jpg

Home in under an hour- the last ride for a couple of weeks or so, though I hope to rent a bike on holiday. In the unlikely event I can master the technology, I'll try to post a Canadian ride at some point.

flatflr

Guru
50 miles from Faringdon to just east of Swindon (no need to go in to the town), across the Ridgeway and down to Hungerford for a cuppa and cake, back up over the Ridgeway to Wantage and back to Faringdon. Changed my hill climb technique to changing between spinning and getting up out of the saddle and using a good dose of rule 5, works so much better and even surprised my mountain biking mate who was with me. Great ride and even missed the rain:smile:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Did a 21 mile out and back, nothing to hard but just a nice bike ride, in the sun and loved every single second of it. We are hoping to go back and head north a bit next time.

Also noted is the fact that we need to get out on the hybrids more just to have a leisure ride.

Whilst sitting at the cafe we got talking to a french couple who asked us "where are we" and put down a road atlas of the uk!!
We asked them, where have you come from? the reply - The South of France:wacko:. Yes, 2 decathlon / BTwin bikes (Riverside) hooked up to 2 trailers fully loaded and also the dog had cycled from the south of france, all the way to north devon and further....

What sort of bicycle was the dog using? :scratch:^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom