Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went out yesterday about 3pm. Had a couple of things to do and took the bike instead of car. chemist stop was followed by a post office stop. Followed by a run out by the golf course. Had to stop and put on my gloves and hat and stick my lights on as it got real cold once the sun went down. Back into town and a final stop at Lidel to get something for tea before trying to beat my youngest home from school as she had no key. Had planned to go a bit further but getting held up at the chemists and post office put paid to that . A cheeky 6 mile run and i just made it home in time for my wee lass. Woke up this morning ( sat ) and the back of my right calf is sore. Probs because i haven't done this much cycling for a while. Reckon some Tennents lager tonight will sort it out. All the best Mike.

Linford

Went out yesterday about 3pm. Had a couple of things to do and took the bike instead of car. chemist stop was followed by a post office stop. Followed by a run out by the golf course. Had to stop and put on my gloves and hat and stick my lights on as it got real cold once the sun went down. Back into town and a final stop at Lidel to get something for tea before trying to beat my youngest home from school as she had no key. Had planned to go a bit further but getting held up at the chemists and post office put paid to that . A cheeky 6 mile run and i just made it home in time for my wee lass. Woke up this morning ( sat ) and the back of my right calf is sore. Probs because i haven't done this much cycling for a while. Reckon some Tennents lager tonight will sort it out. All the best Mike.

Mine is the first time out in a week. I'm trying to sort a problem out with my m/cycle so have been using that when it has been dry enough to go on 2 wheels. I do feel disinclined to ride in the rain, it was evil this morning coming down off the hill, and I was soaked to the skin when I got home. No showers in work which makes for a miserable commute if having to sit in damp clothes.
Just chasing the hills on Saturday or Sunday mornings is All I can really hope for this side of Christmas.

Last edited:
Looked at the forecast at 10am which to our dismay was saying heavy rain sometime before midday, decisions decisions, as it was also forecast to dry up later. In the end we went for it, dr_pink on her pink fixed and me on a blue fixed, how twee is that? Not a twee ride though, straight into the hills and back, just 10.25 miles but loved every minute of it and it never rained. Tomorrow the forecast is good as it is for most I think, so a longer ride with a few autumn pics hopefully, just got to think of a route that keeps her away from hills, sigh, not going to be easy.

Yesterday a long awaited route. Train from Wetheral to Gateshead Metro Center. Derwent valley cycle track to Rowlands Gill(60 years ago this was part of the coke and coal railway and out of bounds to us) Up hill to Burnopfield (slight error in navigation at the War Memorial) Across to Tanfield and Hedley House farm, over to Old Ravensworth, Right to Birtley, Left to the Angel of the North which I found very impressive and well worth the trip (this was the main objective of the ride). Ignored the official sign posted cycle route to Newcastle and followed my own route past Saltwell park and down to the Tyne, over the Millennium bridge, along to Elswick and then on some of the old streets back to the Central Station. Arrived with six minutes to get the train back to Wetheral. Total around the 28-29 mile mark but well worth it. 98% of the route was on cycle ways or minor back roads and streets.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
37 Miles this morning before my better half went to work. I had planned riding up through the Goyt Valley and over to Buxton, but when I got up one look out of the window ruled that out with a ground frost that would have been far harder in the hills. So instead I headed out across the Cheshire plain. It was cold misty and kind of beautiful. I had a couple of ice induced back wheel sliding moments and never really got a good rhythm going, but really enjoyed meandering along the lanes, eventually heading back through Tatton Park.
1001990_10152414252384988_767920412_n.jpg

A view of Jodrell Bank across a field of cows in the mist. Mmmm idea for a film title, none of the Hollywood glamour of Gorrillas in the Mist

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
One fall, two miles three nearly offs. Didn't make the club ride today one fall for another club member. a hole in my new longs a few cuts and bruises and a slightly damaged bike Winter is coming quickly! Club ride cancelled I may get out this afternoon if my hip doesn't hurt too much. hope everyone else is safe out there today.
and another club rider down that makes over 50% of our group down before the ride was even supposed to start.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just over a month off the bike following surgery ! Got permission for a quick spin from the missus. Quick 10 miles off road up the Trans Pennine and up Werneth Low. Rather muddy, but good fun. Called into Polocini Cafe, but was too late - he'd closed !

Slightly tender first couple of miles, but absolutely fine after that. Some proper off road and some big hits !

Will drive to work next week (to keep the peace) then back to cycle commuting week after (6 weeks post surgery - as recommended by the surgeon).

View attachment 32270 View attachment 32271 View attachment 32272
You will be spending the next few weeks with the Mr Sheen cleaning that mess up :whistle:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
and another club rider down that makes over 50% of our group down before the ride was even supposed to start.
Ouch, hope all the bikes are ok :thumbsup:

ScotiaLass

Guru
And I'm back!
Another 12 miles under my belt and hoping to break 15 this week :smile:
I went off the cycle paths onto the canal towpaths for a little change today but didn't go too far out as I was on my own.

It was a gorgeous day, a bit cool, but I found a neck warmer thingy (dunno what they are called but hubby used to use them when riding his motorbike) in a bag of winter hats and scarves, so donned that - it was perfect!
I didn't feel cold at all and I only wore regular cycle tights, a base layer and a short sleeved jersey.

I feel I did better than usual (despite not riding for a week as I was away in deepest Cambridgeshire!) and my determination to get up that stupid steep hill, on the way back, paid off.
I stopped at the bottom to grab a drink and pay my respects to the fallen (the war graves at the bottom of the cemetery) and usually I would then push the bike all the way up the hill.
Not today! I got back on it. I cycled to the first flat area before the hill climbs again.
I got off. I cursed.
I had a drink and guess what? I got back on!
I continued until I couldn't go any further. I looked around....I was almost at the top!
So guess what? Yip, I got back on the bike and made it to the top.
I wouldn't any prizes for speed but I deserve the gold for determination I reckon!!
So, if you were the cyclist who acknowledged the wheezing wreck at the top of that hill, thank-you. You made me smile :smile:

I was so chuffed with my self that I didn't really notice the lesser, but none the less, challenging (for me) hill on the final leg home.

I really enjoyed todays ride - didn't stop for any pics but took a couple of the bike when I got back...guess I did hit some mud and water on the way round today then :laugh:
My poor, pretty baby!!

20131110_122431_resized_zps381863a7.jpg

20131110_122504_resized_zps6cfe0239.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom