Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
Second time with the 'new' club and it looks like they have managed to bring my "Club-Ride-Mojo" back (long lost after consistent bickering [mostly caused by Alpha Males' inflated egos], iCycle-village mentality, hidden agendas, politics and the All-Big-Fancy-Shiny-Bubble that sadly lacked substance). The people are nice and funny and they don't take themselves too seriously. We had a nutter and a laugh and a brilliant 45-mile ride to Hinxworth in glorious sunshine.
I really hope I am not in for yet another disappointment in due time. I really (really) do!!

I could go as far as mention that I had a fried egg and bacon sandwich, but I don't want to make you worry (well, the ones that now me that is).. I am sure it's just a phase. It will soon go and I will be craving chocolate cakes with icings and scones with almonds and cherries in no time! :mrpig:

View attachment 32476

View attachment 32477
I've never seen a pair of more identical twins..:whistle:

I've never seen a pair of more identical twins..:whistle:

:reading:
Mmmmm??

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
You'd think they would account for weather when planning a ride in November also some of the roads were far too narrow.
I think some of those lanes were more like service lanes for the fields ! not really fit for 1000+ cyclists all on the same day :stop: :wacko:

Right then start of nightshift week. I woke at 2pm ( i haven't slept that long on a n/s for years ) and was out the door by 2.30pm. Went a circular route round by the golf course and the posh end of town. Did this twice and did a few shops and then a wee detour home to give me an outstanding 10 mile. Small victory today when i consider the time i woke up and the fact that n/s week usually brings out the lazy boy in me. See what tomorrow brings........

Wayne Tully

I think some of those lanes were more like service lanes for the fields ! not really fit for 1000+ cyclists all on the same day :stop: :wacko:

Agreed, there has been word of a bad accident due to bad signage, I had a marshal give me the clear when cars were coming from both ways, it was terribly planned and executed event.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I was ok, probably as I was on my MTB,
Didn't get any abuse, maybe having a 7yr old in tow defused any would be situations,
Gonna be using the short route once or twice a week for my own personal benefit,
The roads were at their worst due to all the rain we've had in the last few days. lots of mud and debris

Just out of interest what was the route of the short route ?

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Just out of interest what was the route of the short route ?
Out the back door of Detling show ground heading for the Medway services(Cox st), across the M2 through Rainham across the A2 heading towards Upchurch and Lower Halstow, Raspberry hill lane out to Iwade, along to Bobbing up Stickfast lane High oak lane, through Newington, Bull lane up to Hartlip, Magpie lane back on to cox street

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Out the back door of Detling show ground heading for the Medway services(Cox st), across the M2 through Rainham across the A2 heading towards Upchurch and Lower Halstow, Raspberry hill lane out to Iwade, along to Bobbing up Stickfast lane High oak lane, through Newington, Bull lane up to Hartlip, Magpie lane back on to cox street

Cheers thanks for that.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Marvellous ride, first one after a good deep service of my hub gear, smooth silent running has been restored.

Second time with the 'new' club and it looks like they have managed to bring my "Club-Ride-Mojo" back (long lost after consistent bickering [mostly caused by Alpha Males' inflated egos], iCycle-village mentality, hidden agendas, politics and the All-Big-Fancy-Shiny-Bubble that sadly lacked substance). The people are nice and funny and they don't take themselves too seriously. We had a nutter and a laugh and a brilliant 45-mile ride to Hinxworth in glorious sunshine.
I really hope I am not in for yet another disappointment in due time. I really (really) do!!

I could go as far as mention that I had a fried egg and bacon sandwich, but I don't want to make you worry (well, the ones that now me that is).. I am sure it's just a phase. It will soon go and I will be craving chocolate cakes with icings and scones with almonds and cherries in no time! :mrpig:

View attachment 32476

View attachment 32477
Enjoyed those pics, sat there many times on club runs, thanks for the memories [I feel a song coming on]
And so do I! With all the sh*t that's going on in my life, gowd knows how much I need a fun ride on Sundays... :sad: Surely it's not too much to ask, is it?
Then come and join us for a spin on pothole free roads, the only thing we take seriously is the cake.

Enjoyed those pics, sat there many times on club runs, thanks for the memories [I feel a song coming on]

Then come and join us for a spin on pothole free roads, the only thing we take seriously is the cake.

Thanks TF! Well, I can -and will at some point- but most likely as an one-off event.. Even as a one-every-blue-moon at a stretch. See, you're not exactly next door to me and most Sundays time is a factor..
I agree though: cake is to be taken seriously!!! :mrpig:

55 miles, about 1 hour away :smile:.

Exactly!! Two hours driving, plus 4-5 hours for a decent mileage with a decent coffee stop, it means I have to wake up at five (as I have two dogs to walk for an hour in the mornings) in order to make it for a 9 o'clock start and not come back before 3-4 o'clock in the afternoon...
That's what I meant by time being a factor!!! :sad:
But I will soon.. I promise!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Another 12 miles.
Uneventful ride apart from the very near miss with a heron!! :laugh:
I must have startled it and it took off from the rushes at the side on the canal and flew right over my head - I swear if I had put my hand up I could have grabbed it's feet!
It was brilliant!

Gorgeous morning and took some pics on my phone...

20131112_094047_resized_zps1b981abd.jpg

Rambo, with the Kelpies just visible in the distance

20131112_092648_resized_zps0f0c1234.jpg

Getting closer! The Kelpies run along side the M9

20131112_092539_resized_zps64e620c6.jpg

20131112_093220_resized_zps34b0a222.jpg

At the viewing platform with Rambo posing at the bottom of the steps!

20131112_093315_resized_zps7206de7a.jpg

C'est moi!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
35 mile loop today in nice weather. But that's not the story..........

Took in The Brickworks climb out of Pott Shrigley which is a decent test. I was giving it maximum effort and was about 3/4 if the way up. Then I heard them. Behind me. Catching me. The sound of chatting! FFS chatting!! Sweat was dripping off my nose and these guys were catching me and having a nice chat like it was a gentle Sunday run out.

So I thought, stuff this, I'll get out of the saddle and really push the last 1/4 of the climb. But still they came. And still they chatted. And then it happened. They passed me.

4 GB Cycling lads. Out for what looked for them to be a jolly little recovery ride and the chance to have a bit of a catch up. Conversely I was about to pass out.

"Mornings" were exchanged. I was just glad they didn't say anything else to me as I couldn't speak at this point. Gallantly, I hopped onto their back wheel, held it for about 50m then realised that if I tried to keep up with their pace I probably wouldn't be able to cycle home. So I gave up. I was cheered up by the fact that one of them looked like Quintana

They were all riding full mudguards which was nice :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom