Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
35 mile loop today in nice weather. But that's not the story..........

Took in The Brickworks climb out of Pott Shrigley which is a decent test. I was giving it maximum effort and was about 3/4 if the way up. Then I heard them. Behind me. Catching me. The sound of chatting! FFS chatting!! Sweat was dripping off my nose and these guys were catching me and having a nice chat like it was a gentle Sunday run out.

So I thought, stuff this, I'll get out of the saddle and really push the last 1/4 of the climb. But still they came. And still they chatted. And then it happened. They passed me.

4 GB Cycling lads. Out for what looked for them to be a jolly little recovery ride and the chance to have a bit of a catch up. Conversely I was about to pass out.

"Mornings" were exchanged. I was just glad they didn't say anything else to me as I couldn't speak at this point. Gallantly, I hopped onto their back wheel, held it for about 50m then realised that if I tried to keep up with their pace I probably wouldn't be able to cycle home. So I gave up. I was cheered up by the fact that one of them looked like Quintana

They were all riding full mudguards which was nice :thumbsup:
:laugh:

ScotiaLass

Guru

Took in The Brickworks climb out of Pott Shrigley which is a decent test. I was giving it maximum effort and was about 3/4 if the way up. Then I heard them. Behind me. Catching me. The sound of chatting! FFS chatting!! Sweat was dripping off my nose and these guys were catching me and having a nice chat like it was a gentle Sunday run out.

So I thought, stuff this, I'll get out of the saddle and really push the last 1/4 of the climb. But still they came. And still they chatted. And then it happened. They passed me.

4 GB Cycling lads. Out for what looked for them to be a jolly little recovery ride and the chance to have a bit of a catch up. Conversely I was about to pass out.

"Mornings" were exchanged. I was just glad they didn't say anything else to me as I couldn't speak at this point. Gallantly, I hopped onto their back wheel, held it for about 50m then realised that if I tried to keep up with their pace I probably wouldn't be able to cycle home. So I gave up. I was cheered up by the fact that one of them looked like Quintana

Fantastic!! :laugh:

Toeclip

Guru
Just a short ride out in my new cycle shoes, well I bought them some 15 maybe more years ago but never worn them until today. I got them from the Ron Kitching catalogue I think it was called `Everything Cycling` and the shoes are called Ron-Kit Daleman. Anyway had a 15 mile spin with a coffee stop in Belhus Country park, and even the sun came out and the shoes felt fine.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

Lovely climb up The Brickworks not too steep, not too long or short, just a good climb in some beautiful countryside and a bit of a gateway into the Pennines. One of my favourite local climbs especially if you start at the crossroads at Adlington by the Leigh Arms. I have been known to divert my commute to Macclesfield that way.:whistle:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Col du portillon
(virtual)
http://www.bkool.com/bkoolSessionHistory/showSessionSummary?sessionSummaryId=450125

well Gav from quest adventure came round to set up my bkool trainer through the flatscreen as I am tecknickally challenged.....turned out all my woes wre down to a dodgy hdmi socket. Anyway so I jumped on and set off up this 'hill'.....only ten miles but a bit of a workout was had! Ouch.

Total 10.7mi 00:51:45 00:51:10
Warm up 0.1mi 00:00:24 00:00:23
Main 10.6mi 00:51:10 00:51:10
Cool down 0.1mi 00:00:11 00:00:10
Min. Max. Climb Descent
Slope -10.39% 12.51% 1940ft 1934ft
Legend In total In motion While climbing Normalized Max. Type
Cadence (rpm) 71 71 70 - 99
point
Calories (Kcal.) 918 918 816 - 1384
Power (watt) 274.2 274.2 281.5 282.4 352.6
column
Speed (mph) 12.6 12.6 7.2 - 61.3
column

Total10.7mi00:51:4500:51:10
Warm up0.1mi00:00:2400:00:23
Main10.6mi00:51:1000:51:10
Cool down0.1mi00:00:1100:00:10​
Min.Max.ClimbDescent
Slope
-10.39%12.51%1940ft1934ft​
LegendIn totalIn motionWhile climbingNormalizedMax.Type
Cadence (rpm)​
717170-99​
Calories (Kcal.)​
918918816-1384​
Power (watt)​
274.2274.2281.5282.4352.6​
Speed (mph)​
12.612.67.2-61.3​

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Lovely climb up The Brickworks not too steep, not too long or short, just a good climb in some beautiful countryside and a bit of a gateway into the Pennines. One of my favourite local climbs especially if you start at the crossroads at Adlington by the Leigh Arms. I have been known to divert my commute to Macclesfield that way.:whistle:

I must admit I enjoyed it. Came at it from Middlewood Rd/Shrigley Road. After the climb turned left then left again onto Higher Lane which takes you to Disley. All in all a very nice two and a half hours

N/s week day 2...... woke at 1pm and ventured out into the wind. Do you ever find yourself fed up with cycling in constant traffic as i did yesterday ? Today i choose a country road route that had very little traffic and with only a disagreeable headwind for company made my way up by West Drums , this part of the ride was very hard going with the wind however i got some relief from it in the shape of a roadside wood. I had a nagging feeling i'd forgotten something and a look in my rucksack confirmed that i had no lights with me ...( an oh s**t moment if you like ) because up here you need some candles on at the back of 3pm and i had ment to meet my wee lass from the High school with the bike in tow. I keep my lights in the house as leaving them in the cold shed zaps the battery. So i had to alter my plans but still managed 10 mile. One highlight for me was a friendly toot toot from a car that i had waved past me. See their not all bad. Tomorrow is another day........

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Excellent Metric ton today with a mate. I rode down to the Canoe Centre, a regular meeting place as its central for all of us. Anyways... I didn't realise I'd not zipped up my jacket pocket and my gloves had fallen out (Altura thins, smashing under gloves they are!) so I changed the planned route and retraced my 7 mile journey and found one after a mile and the other, including tyre tread marks, in puddle in Great Bliing village. Still, I was happy not to have lost them!
We were aiming at about 20ish miles as he's only just got a Ribble and wanted to try it out.. Anyway, the weather was much to good to be aiming home to soon so, as he was happy with the way the bike was handling. As we got nearer to Santa Pod Drag Strip, I wondered if there'd be a chance of a blast up it I asked a chap there if it'd be OK and he said if we wanted to, he wouldn't stop us, but stick to the centre line as the race lines are slippery..

DSC_0996.jpg

Thats me on the quarter mile finish line...

DSC_0994.jpg

The rest of the ride was through the villages and lanes to Salcey Forest for coffee and cake.

Lovely day out all in all. 63 miles.

Excellent Metric ton today with a mate. I rode down to the Canoe Centre, a regular meeting place as its central for all of us. Anyways... I didn't realise I'd not zipped up my jacket pocket and my gloves had fallen out (Altura thins, smashing under gloves they are!) so I changed the planned route and retraced my 7 mile journey and found one after a mile and the other, including tyre tread marks, in puddle in Great Bliing village. Still, I was happy not to have lost them!
We were aiming at about 20ish miles as he's only just got a Ribble and wanted to try it out.. Anyway, the weather was much to good to be aiming home to soon so, as he was happy with the way the bike was handling. As we got nearer to Santa Pod Drag Strip, I wondered if there'd be a chance of a blast up it I asked a chap there if it'd be OK and he said if we wanted to, he wouldn't stop us, but stick to the centre line as the race lines are slippery..

View attachment 32532

Thats me on the quarter mile finish line...

View attachment 32533

The rest of the ride was through the villages and lanes to Salcey Forest for coffee and cake.

Lovely day out all in all. 63 miles.
Coffee and cake and a race track .....If Carling planned cycle rides.........

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Coffee and cake and a race track .....If Carling planned cycle rides.........

Strangely enough, the Carlsberg brewery is in Northampon ... That's planning for you.. lol

And I forgot to mention, I overtook a Morgan sports car in Great Billing village as it was going to slowly down the hill... :biggrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom