Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The day started with a very early dog walk - as it before it was light. The dog was not impressed and less than enthusiastic for said walk and I can't say I showed much more enthusiasm either, but we had agreed to a 9am meet at Llandegla and that meant an earlier dog walk than normal.

So "my" (that being my OH and myself) ride today was also at Llandegla on @dan_bo bike ride and was the first time we had been over to Llandegla and we arrived to sleet and windy conditions! Early on I realised my climbing legs were just not there and the wind was also doing its best to knock me off the track! Despite all the support from various riders (and attempts at providing me with a wind block) my OH and I both knew I was holding everyone else up, so before long we parted ways with the rest of the group and went a touch slower, agreeing to meet up again in the café. The support was much appreciated guys... a tow rope next time? :laugh: (I also don't think a week off the bike has helped me in the slightest.) I still managed 2 * 4th Strava places on the climb though - tis an advantage of being female I think! :laugh:
I had been considering the black route and was right up until running out of energy not long into the first of the descents :whistle:... I know stupid place to run out of energy but I'm partially paralysed and my left leg does not always cooperate and it had gone from under me meaning I could no longer hold the 'attack' position, so a 5 min break was needed before I could continue...
The red route only really challenged me at the very end - right at the point where I wanted to go just that bit slower on a steep descent, I heard a rather familiar noise behind me - my OH had gone through another set of brake pads and was trying hard to run me off the track - he had no brakes yet again and the very last thing I had said to him before walking the dog was "check your brake pads please and pick up the spares" did he do so, did he h***! Time to go a touch faster than I really wanted to when totally exhausted. Those climbs at the very end were rather steep!

Drinks followed in the café and tales of broken brake levers, bent wheels and other such escapades... No photos, the weather was not really up to it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/109086520

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The day started with a very early dog walk - as it before it was light. The dog was not impressed and less than enthusiastic for said walk and I can't say I showed much more enthusiasm either, but we had agreed to a 9am meet at Llandegla and that meant an earlier dog walk than normal.

So "my" (that being my OH and myself) ride today was also at Llandegla on @dan_bo bike ride and was the first time we had been over to Llandegla and we arrived to sleet and windy conditions! Early on I realised my climbing legs were just not there and the wind was also doing its best to knock me off the track! Despite all the support from various riders (and attempts at providing me with a wind block) my OH and I both knew I was holding everyone else up, so before long we parted ways with the rest of the group and went a touch slower, agreeing to meet up again in the café. The support was much appreciated guys... a tow rope next time? :laugh: (I also don't think a week off the bike has helped me in the slightest.) I still managed 2 * 4th Strava places on the climb though - tis an advantage of being female I think! :laugh:
I had been considering the black route and was right up until running out of energy not long into the first of the descents :whistle:... I know stupid place to run out of energy but I'm partially paralysed and my left leg does not always cooperate and it had gone from under me meaning I could no longer hold the 'attack' position, so a 5 min break was needed before I could continue...
The red route only really challenged me at the very end - right at the point where I wanted to go just that bit slower on a steep descent, I heard a rather familiar noise behind me - my OH had gone through another set of brake pads and was trying hard to run me off the track - he had no brakes yet again and the very last thing I had said to him before walking the dog was "check your brake pads please and pick up the spares" did he do so, did he h***! Time to go a touch faster than I really wanted to when totally exhausted. Those climbs at the very end were rather steep!

Drinks followed in the café and tales of broken brake levers, bent wheels and other such escapades... No photos, the weather was not really up to it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/109086520

The end of the red was pretty much as hard as anything on the black. Took me by surprise a little as the end of the black had been diverted onto the red and I wasn't expecting such a steep descent.

potsy

Rambler
Mods please close this thread :surrender:

The end of the red was pretty much as hard as anything on the black. Took me by surprise a little as the end of the black had been diverted onto the red and I wasn't expecting such a steep descent.
I think I just need a touch more physical strength than I had available today. Once I get back from a week's cycling in Scotland in March I'm sure I will be better at it.... (that and not having been on my bike for a week, how did that happen!)... I have even stopped avoiding the local steep climbs around here and been deliberately hunting them out at ends of rides to try to build up a touch more strength in that leg... guess it needs more work yet! :sad:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rubbish weather today, wet, windy and generally horrid. No opportunity to get out yesterday due to fitting a garage door, so was hoping for better weather today. Sorry to say I wimped it at 2pm and did 30 mins on the turbo. Amazing how utterly dull it was, and to think only 2 months back I was celebrating the thing:rolleyes: Next time I really must just chuck the wet weather gear on and get out

Rubbish weather today, wet, windy and generally horrid. No opportunity to get out yesterday due to fitting a garage door, so was hoping for better weather today. Sorry to say I wimped it at 2pm and did 30 mins on the turbo. Amazing how utterly dull it was, and to think only 2 months back I was celebrating the thing:rolleyes: Next time I really must just chuck the wet weather gear on and get out
Finally sold mine after not using it for well over a year. It did what I needed it to do with getting me back riding again after my injury, but I prefer outdoors despite the weather... sleet, rain, heavy rain and winds today... but you always get wet going mountain biking so no point in worrying about it!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Finally sold mine after not using it for well over a year. It did what I needed it to do with getting me back riding again after my injury, but I prefer outdoors despite the weather... sleet, rain, heavy rain and winds today... but you always get wet going mountain biking so no point in worrying about it!
I'll have to get the mountain bike off the wall then, get back into 'proper' cycling instead of all this woosy road lark:laugh:

I'll have to get the mountain bike off the wall then, get back into 'proper' cycling instead of all this woosy road lark:laugh:
my mtb lives next to my road bike. the road bike is the commuter and sometimes leisure bike, the mtb is the fun bike (and gets the winter studded tyres)... I have more fun on the mtb but cover more miles on the road bike... they both get as dirty as each other!

PS - the tourer is the only one that lives indoor, but that is from a lack of space issue...(not to mention how much it cost...:whistle:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom