Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Jan 100 mile challenge ride - from home to Blackpool. It was hard and I'm very tired.

101 miles done - 3 miles from my house it stated with floods and I got caught out on a short cut I was trying. I thought it was about 6" deep it was about 18" deep and my bottom bracket is probably trashed and my brand new Quoc Pham Fixed shoes got soaked. Luckily I'd had the sense to put wool socks on.

The main feature was the constant head wind all the way to Blackpool! I was seriously thinking to bail and train home I was knackered.

A Maccy d's and coffee and I decided to see if I was ok. The wind turned to tail wind pretty much all the way to Blackburn so coming home upto that point was ok. Ha, then the hail started and never stopped, it mixed with snow and everything was white all the way home. With the hail came squirrelly wind which blew the hail into my face - it bloody hurts!

About 3 miles from home it started lightening and thundering, it was quite nerve wrecking and was a bit close for comfort. At least all the flooding had gone down.

I had to map it as my new edge 500 froze at 53.1 miles, my last one never froze once but this new one just doesn't seem right - the contrast keeps resetting to minimum.

Jan out of the way and I'm glad, it wasn't an easy one with the wind and I'm still cold.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Jan 100 mile challenge ride - from home to Blackpool. It was hard and I'm very tired.

101 miles ...
Well done - mad, but impressive! :thumbsup:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Well done - mad, but impressive! :thumbsup:
Thanks, not that mad really though. It was hard to Blackpool and I mean hard, the wind and rain was excruciating and tedious. Once I'd turned for home it wasn't so bad, the last 15 miles were hard due to the hail/snow stuff and the wind picking up but, I'd made the wise choice taking the geared bike with snow tyres.

I think I'll leave coast runs until your ride, the flat can get boring and play havoc with bike contact point like hands and ass.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A quick 6.6 miles round the block on the single speed today to get the legs ready for a longer ride planned for tomorrow..
After a friendly chat with some council chaps a while back, the bike path is now cleared of grit :wahhey:

DSC_1404.jpg

Most impressed.

http://www.strava.com/activities/109310408

Alex H

Legendary Member
Came across this today which I thought was quite cool, please ignore the bit with the fingers oe the bit where I nearly get the 2 very pretty runners. There was one of a cyclist but I appear not to have got that one.

Alan..

Did you name them as you were passing? :whistle:

Justiffa

Fact: cycling home after a three course meal involving the words "soup", "roast", and "chocolate" has less of an impact on speed than a headwind but increases the desire for an adaptation of TT bars with a comfy pillow.

LOL..me & the family had a huge 8 course chinese dinner last nite and i was still feeling the sluggish effect during my ride this morning :crazy:

potsy

Rambler
12 miles today along the TPT/Bridgewater canal, was a bit muddy on parts of the canal that is not so well surfaced, so much so that I had visions of my slick tyres not coping too well and throwing me into the water.
Thankfully that didn't happen and I got to the end in one piece.
I imagine it was similar conditions to @I like Skol and @Hacienda71 trip to Degla yesterday, even down to the 'skills' section :laugh:
P1020837.jpg

A few more pics in no particular order

P1020830.jpg
P1020831.jpg
P1020833.jpg
P1020834.jpg
P1020835.jpg
P1020839.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
12 miles today along the TPT/Bridgewater canal, was a bit muddy on parts of the canal that is not so well surfaced, so much so that I had visions of my slick tyres not coping too well and throwing me into the water.
I imagine it was similar conditions to @I like Skol and @Hacienda71 trip to Degla yesterday, even down to the 'skills' section :laugh:
View attachment 36985

View attachment 36980 View attachment 36981 View attachment 36982 View attachment 36983 View attachment 36984 View attachment 36986

Nice photos potsy. Many thanks

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
View attachment 36985

View attachment 36980 View attachment 36981 View attachment 36982 View attachment 36983 View attachment 36984 View attachment 36986

I am impressed by the way your bike is floating on the canal! :eek:

Wayne Tully

I have been doing the Strava 600KM in January thing, after the weekend I had 88KMs left so as I had today off work I decided to get it done, as the weather was looking less than kind I took the MTB.

My plan was to head out to Reculver and come back which is a 65KM round trip and add some bits in along the way.

On the way out on Tyler Hill looking over to the Isle of Sheppie

1545830_10152174929444165_903604983_n.jpg

Reculver Towers

1604374_10152174923574165_361551395_n.jpg

Out to Herne Bay
1622776_10152174924514165_2017272615_n.jpg

Crab and Winkle Way

61512_10152174928669165_319678699_n.jpg

Rainbow at Tankerton

1620908_10152174928604165_225492127_n.jpg

Bit muddy

1781909_10152174924449165_1525813014_n.jpg

995299_10152174963724165_1979710985_n.jpg

1625484_10152174963529165_2006428865_n.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Whilst I too entered the 'Prove It' for January, I know I'm not going to get even close to the 600km. I did get out today though, and the threatened rain held off so in spite of being all togged up in the wet weather gear, it wasn't needed.
My intention had been a trundle up to The Royal landscape (no change there then..), but via St Annes Hill and Lyne Village. Flooded roads prevented that, so I ended up climbing a hill and reverting to my usual route. Nothing of note today, other than making my first 20 miler since being hospitalised back in September, took 2 hours though so whilst the distance is working ok, my pace is a mile off where it used to be. These things can't be rushed though and at the moment it's all about building confidence. I bottled out of Deer Park again today, whilst I felt fine it was just going too far from home for comfort, and is something I need to MTFU about, or maybe do it with somebody else for moral support...
My pic of the day, the Totem Pole at Virginia Water Lake. The 100 foot high Totem Pole was erected here in 1958, to mark the centenary of the establishment of British Columbia as a Crown Colony.
28 Jan Totem Pole.jpg

It was removed from site a number of years ago and refurbished, it's in dire need of it again..

Whilst I too entered the 'Prove It' for January, I know I'm not going to get even close to the 600km. I did get out today though, and the threatened rain held off so in spite of being all togged up in the wet weather gear, it wasn't needed.
My intention had been a trundle up to The Royal landscape (no change there then..), but via St Annes Hill and Lyne Village. Flooded roads prevented that, so I ended up climbing a hill and reverting to my usual route. Nothing of note today, other than making my first 20 miler since being hospitalised back in September, took 2 hours though so whilst the distance is working ok, my pace is a mile off where it used to be. These things can't be rushed though and at the moment it's all about building confidence. I bottled out of Deer Park again today, whilst I felt fine it was just going too far from home for comfort, and is something I need to MTFU about, or maybe do it with somebody else for moral support...
My pic of the day, the Totem Pole at Virginia Water Lake. The 100 foot high Totem Pole was erected here in 1958, to mark the centenary of the establishment of British Columbia as a Crown Colony.
View attachment 37075
It was removed from site a number of years ago and refurbished, it's in dire need of it again..
Looks better than I remember as a kid
Been cycling past it a few times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom