Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I did my last 20 miles to clock up 300 for this month. Only along the riverside & about a bit before work this afternoon.

These pics are a crackingly safe bit of bike path routing next to the river. I always give a little whistle (I feel a song coming on!! lol) or ting the bell depending what bike I'm riding. I've never seen anyone launch into the Nene, but it's only a matter of time :cycle:

DSC_1425.jpg

My direction..

DSC_1426.jpg

Looking back...

:thumbsdown:

Anyway. I cut through Delapre Park into the back of Brackmills industry via a lump of a bridge

DSC_1427.jpg

And back home in time for a shower, lunch and a 12 hour shift

http://www.strava.com/activities/110143975

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Thought I'd get out this morning, since the weather was forecast to be trashy after lunch. Something a bit different today, a ride that was regular last year. Out through Thorpe Village and into Chertsey town, heading down to Chertsey Bridge Road which was closed in the recent flooding. From there it was a riverside ride via Dockett Eddy Lane towards Walton to see the progress on the new Walton Bridge, now good as finished, and all the old bridges removed. Massive, wide pavements across the bridge, but no shared cycle path signs yet.
31 Jan 2014 Walton Bridge.jpg

The plan was to continue down the towpath on the Walton/Weybridge side, but it was a bit mucky for my liking (I was on the hybrid, just didn't feel like getting muddy today)
31 Jan 2014 Walton Bridge 2.jpg

So instead I ended up along Oatlands Drive, then got lost in the back roads of Weybridge (I thought I knew where I was, typical bloke..). Found my way home in the end, but 5 miles short of my target due to calf pains which refused to go despite stretching on and off the bike. There's always another day, so 20 miles for me this time.

Thought I'd get out this morning, since the weather was forecast to be trashy after lunch. Something a bit different today, a ride that was regular last year. Out through Thorpe Village and into Chertsey town, heading down to Chertsey Bridge Road which was closed in the recent flooding. From there it was a riverside ride via Dockett Eddy Lane towards Walton to see the progress on the new Walton Bridge, now good as finished, and all the old bridges removed. Massive, wide pavements across the bridge, but no shared cycle path signs yet.
View attachment 37282
The plan was to continue down the towpath on the Walton/Weybridge side, but it was a bit mucky for my liking (I was on the hybrid, just didn't feel like getting muddy today)
View attachment 37283
So instead I ended up along Oatlands Drive, then got lost in the back roads of Weybridge (I thought I knew where I was, typical bloke..). Found my way home in the end, but 5 miles short of my target due to calf pains which refused to go despite stretching on and off the bike. There's always another day, so 20 miles for me this time.
Lack of cycle paths was a glaring omission

I did my last 20 miles to clock up 300 for this month. Only along the riverside & about a bit before work this afternoon.

These pics are a crackingly safe bit of bike path routing next to the river. I always give a little whistle (I feel a song coming on!! lol) or ting the bell depending what bike I'm riding. I've never seen anyone launch into the Nene, but it's only a matter of time :cycle:

View attachment 37233
My direction..

View attachment 37234
Looking back...

:thumbsdown:

Anyway. I cut through Delapre Park into the back of Brackmills industry via a lump of a bridge

View attachment 37235

And back home in time for a shower, lunch and a 12 hour shift

http://www.strava.com/activities/110143975
Nah, we are just health and safety mad in the UK. half of all the cycling in the Netherlands appears to be alongside canals, no barriers there.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
45 Mile tempo ride with 400bhp this morning. My intention yesterday had been to go and suffer pain in the hills. Having checked the weather forecast though :cold: 0 degrees and heavy snow by 11:00 in Buxton made me think twice and so I arranged to go across the Cheshire Plain with Mr bhp. Set of for the rv at Ashley deciding to avoid the normal route which is liable to ice over and go a more open route. It was icey, cold and windy :sad: but on the up side it was sunny:sun: Met on time and headed out towards Northwich. The 25 mph forecast headwind was lats say character building. We looped through Middlewich stopping to bid on a bike on ebay that would suit my son as a first full size Giant mtb only to find the listing had ended 5 minutes ago and been won with one bid at £20:cursing:. Then onto Holmes Chapel and Twemlow ending up at Jodrell Bank for the now obligatory bacon sandwich and hot chocolate. Then a nice wind assisted blast home trying to get 400bhp back in time for him to get to the Velodrome for this afternoons revolution.

Gratuitous bacon butty shot for Potsy...:whistle:

DSC_0088.jpg

Jodrell resplendent in the winter sun.

DSC_0089.jpg

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
New Brompton was delivered yesterday. It's a very stripped down Ti s/s version and arrived with a p######e.
It wasn't until today that, tube fixed, it was taken out on its maiden flight on a short 17m round the Chiltern lanes. My usual Saturday morning circuit. Why not, birthday treat for me.
Interesting - I've not ridden a single speed since I was a teenager. While not looking for a lower gear on the climbs, knowing there isn't one, I found on the straight fast sections I was looking for that top gear that now didn't exist.
Still, a very comfortable and easy bike to ride that was essentially purchased as a back up summer commute to my aging and high mileage 6 speed Brommie.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Up and out at 9 today for a club run... Turned into 3 of us left after a puncture. Picked our route, worked on my flat's speed and pedalling efficiency whilst I was out. Feel a lot less nackered after it. 38 miles and a couple of decent Strava results I didn't expect. One of the guys binned it which put a bit of a dampener in Walgrave. Then the wind took over on the way back... 9 mph downhill and being slowed by the wind!

Bryony

Veteran
Went out on my MTB not really been able to ride it since I got it for my birthday due to having a bad chest infection.

Unfortunately I'm still not over it and only managed a couple of miles as I was struggling to breathe :sad: I did get up quite a steep hill that I've had fun going down in the past but never even considered going up it as it's so steep!! I was very pleased with myself and even my OH was surprised to see me still right behind him! :laugh: Anyway shortly after that the breathing probs started so we turned for home and just as well we did as it began to rain!

I think I'm going to have to go to the doctors for antibiotics this last bit of the infection just doesn't want shift (I've had it since xmas).

compo

Veteran
Did a 40 miler today with a friend. I put on Facebook last night where I was going and had a phone call this morning that he wanted to come. We rode from Harlow to Writtle, near Chelmsford. We are both a bit out of condition so battling back against at times gale force head winds was a real effort. It was a good ride however, no real problems to recount apart from a flooded road that we chickened out of and took a detour.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Went out on my MTB not really been able to ride it since I got it for my birthday due to having a bad chest infection.

Unfortunately I'm still not over it and only managed a couple of miles as I was struggling to breathe :sad: I did get up quite a steep hill that I've had fun going down in the past but never even considered going up it as it's so steep!! I was very pleased with myself and even my OH was surprised to see me still right behind him! :laugh: Anyway shortly after that the breathing probs started so we turned for home and just as well we did as it began to rain!

I think I'm going to have to go to the doctors for antibiotics this last bit of the infection just doesn't want shift (I've had it since xmas).
Have a like for having got up the hill.:thumbsup: I hope the bug clears up soon.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just a quick 6 or 7 mile leg spinner before a longer ride planned for tomorrow...

Shame I've got to go to work soon. The weather's lovely. :sad:

Peteaud

Veteran
Quick blast out today whilst the weather was ok.

Past the cider mill
large.jpg

and into choccy box village (Dowlish Wake)
large.jpg

Bike shot by the bridge
large.jpg

The roads are still very slippery,
large.jpg

But the cycle path (an old railway line) is at least draining.

large.jpg

Nice to get out and feel the sun and wind, but it is starting to get a bit of a grind. Weather forcast for this week isnt good either.

The good news is RWGPS is getting used and my ride log is at least showing a few miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom