Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Decided to stay away from the lanes of Hertfordshire today because of the floods, so went into town. Through Whetstone, North Finchley, East Finchley, up the Bishops Avenue to Hampstead, down Fitzjohns Avenue to Swiss Cottage and then 4 laps of Regents Park before going up past Primrose Hill, past Gospal Oak and then an assault on Swains lane up to Highgate Village for a coffee and a cake. then home via Finchley. 30 miles in total, and the sun was shining:sun:

Peteaud

Veteran
Went for a 40-something mile ride with my group today, skrting along the edges of the Levels. Took this photo (apologies for the terrible quality) from the ridge running from Curry Mallet to Curry Rivel - the flood waters are receding slightly but it's not great:

View attachment 37365

The ride was pretty uneventful (apart from picking up a thorn on Somerset's muddiest road (cue grubbiest hands) and being served a disappointingly so-not-hot bowl of soup in a pub that's normally really good) and it was good to be out in the fresh air, even if there was a touch more precipitation that the forecast suggested. :rolleyes:

What pub Jo?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I also had a ride that didn't go to plan but looking at the reports above :ohmy: I don't feel too bad about it now.

I'd hoped to do my second metric century of the year, but as I was about to set off I noticed dark clouds looming to the west and the Welsh hills were no longer visible. A quick check of the rainfall radar showed a load of showers bubbling up over mid Wales and moving across north Shropshire, which was where I'd planned to go.

Quick change of plan and I was headed out to Church Stretton for my first ride of the year over the Long Mynd. I aimed for the longer version of this route: Over Lyth Hill to Condover, Acton Burnell, south past Longnor and Leebotwood, through All Stretton, Church Stretton and Little Stretton, Minton and climbing up onto the Long Mynd past Hamperley and up Nut Batch before heading past the gliding club to the summit (Pole Bank)

After crossing Lyth Hill I briefly joined the A49 to cross over to Condover. While on this short section a motorist coming the other way first hooted furiously at a group of cyclists just ahead of me, then was gesticulating and shouting something at me when she passed. No idea what that was all about.:blink:

Just before reaching Condover it started raining.:rain: Fortunately just a shower though. I'm sure the weather has got it in for me at the moment - dunno what I've done to upset it.:laugh: The wind was pretty strong too (definitely not the 10mph it said on the forecast). This was nice while it was a tailwind on the road up to Cantlop (17 mph uphill :thumbsup:) but not so good when I got past Acton Burnell and was riding directly into it (9mph on the flat - 15 max downhill :thumbsdown:) The last time I rode so slowly on this route was when I still had the Apollo Excel. A slight distraction from the wind was that I spotted what I'm fairly sure was a peregrine falcon swooping across the fields.^_^

Once past Little Stretton the hills provided a bit of shelter, which was just as well as this is where it starts to get hilly. Approaching the start of the bridleway up Nut Batch I shifted down into low range but the bike suffered a sudden bout of chain suck. The chain jammed and I gently toppled over into the ditch - a clipless moment without the clipless pedals.:crazy:

Once sorted, I quite enjoyed the climb. I had a lunch break with a view part way up and managed to catch up with the mountain bikers who passed me while I was eating. Something that made me smile was a young lad in a group coming down the hill shouted out "It gets easier" as he passed.

Up on the top, the Portway bridleway was very muddy which made things a bit interesting - thought I was going to end up in the mud again a few times. Joining the tarmac again was very welcome. It was busy up there today - the place was teeming with mountain bikers, horse riders and walkers.

After pausing to take in the view at Pole Bank I headed for High Park and on the way had to pause for some of the Long Mynd ponies to wander across the road. One came up to see if I had anything for them. I'd already had to stop several times on the ride so far for friendly dogs that wanted to greet me - makes a change to have a pony do it.^_^

The ride back was pleasantly uneventful and much quicker than the ride out. Around Ryton I noticed more shower cloud and made an extra effort to try and get back before it arrived. Using the A49 was much better on the way back. It was very busy, but everyone gave loads of room.:thumbsup: Wish it was always like that.

40.6 miles covered today and thanks to the tailwind on the way back the overall average was better than expected at 10.6 mph.

DSC02474.JPG

At All Stretton and looking at Caer Caradoc and the Lawley in the background.

DSC02475.JPG

A pause at Minton after the first steep climb of the day.

DSC02476.JPG

Country cottage with outbuildings in a desirable quiet rural area. In need of some modernisation.:whistle:

DSC02478.JPG

Lunch stop view.

DSC02481.JPG

Nice views in the direction of Bishop's Castle, Churchstoke and Montgomery.

DSC02482.JPG

There were only a couple of gliders up which surprised me as the conditions seemed pretty good for them.

DSC02485.JPG

Up at the summit and looking towards The Stiperstones.

DSC02487.JPG

Ponies on Wild Moor.

DSC02490.JPG

About to start the descent at High Park. I love this view but the camera doesn't really capture the way the road appears to drop off into fresh air.

DSC02491.JPG

Caer Caradoc again as I head for the descent down Castle Hill into All Stretton.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
DISASTER! My cycling buddy met a car on a sharp RH bend and bounced off its nearside, bruising himself badly and breaking his helmet. His bike cartwheeled over my head and landed about 5' up on the top of a hedge from where I and a following cyclist had quite a job retrieving it. He broke the wing mirror off the car, the driver was very quiet and his wife took charge, every witness agreed that it looked like a 50/50 accident. People in a nearby house took him in until his wife arrived to take him to A&E for an X-ray to his right leg though he's a doctor so he already knows he's got a deep haematoma to his right calf muscle and a stiff neck.

Initially the damage to the bike looked like an out-of-true front wheel and loose headset. I brought it home with me to check it over and while washing it down, spotted this damage in the RH chainstay:

AlexsRHchainstay2_zps3a7bc8cd.jpg

AlexsRHchainstay1_zps44cb3600.jpg

This must be where the front bumper of the car hit the frame - there must have been some big forces involved for the bike to fly so far. It's an almost new Tarmac SL4; I wonder if his old steel Pinarello would have taken as much damage?

Now the question is: repair or go for new frame? Any suggestions, anyone? I guess the first thing is to get an estimate for repairs then check to see if he's covered under his household insurance.
Hope your mates ok, i know of these guys who do repairs , you can post .
http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/the-process_8.html
tbh though if you can a new frame through insurance then i would go with that as a repair is not liable to be as strong as the original no matter how good the job.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It was either replace my frayed brake cables day, or go for a spin day today here. With the sun out, there really was no choice- the cables can wait, so a gentle 20 mile or so meander across the flatlands it was.

We really do seem to have missed the worst of the bad weather hereabouts. Even on Friday, when most places had over an inch of rain, we barely managed a 10th of that here. The place is still pretty sodden though, certainly too wet for my preferred remote bridleways and farm tracks, so it was a largely quiet lane ride today.

Out on the Fen is a place called Upware, where the River Cam is allowed a small piece of floodplain between the wall to wall sugar beet and barley. It's filled up nicely (below) and plenty of waders out there today - mainly widgeon and teal (they'd flown away for the pic- typica!).

Cam Washes.jpg

Further along and back on the Lodes Way, I reached Wicken Fen. I was hoping to see or at least hear bullfinch, as some had been spotted nearby (they're incredibly rare here) but no joy today. The trees looked nice in the sunshine by one of the streams or Lodes as they're called.

Monks Lode.jpg

I'd been spoilt up to now, with a lovely tailwind. Turning back for home it became a cold headwind and with some wind chill. A pair of swans caught my eye sat among some winter wheat. I wondered if they might be Hooper or Bewicks which come from Iceland and Russia to winter here, but their orange rather than yellow beaks meant they were just our native mutes. They didn't seem bothered by all the deer behind them.
Swan Deer.jpg

At Burwell Lode I met up with another local 'Lodes Way Irregular' called Mike out for a spin on his MTB. While chatting, a couple of short eared owls appeared nearby, then a female hen harrier. We were then joined by a bloke who turned out to be a right PITA. He asked what we'd seen - 'Is that all?' he said. You know those times when you know instantly when you are just not going to like someone at all, well, this was one of them. He then told me the short eared owl I was looking at through my bins was a marsh harrier (it wasn't) and I'd had enough. I said bye to Mike and headed for home. (I felt a little guilty for leaving him with Lurch, but if I'd stayed any longer, there might have been violence)! I was reminded yet again why I always prefer wildlife to people.

Anyway, a final stop at Reach Lode bridge and by now the sun was setting. Burwell Fen looked great in the twilight.
Sunset.jpg

Didn't hang about for the last few miles and was pleased to see it was still not dark at 5-15 or so when I rolled in home. Spring's not far away now.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We had a good 47 mile club ride this morning, nice easy ride plenty of hills but a nice pace, very uneventful no punctures no broken chains or anything else, makes a change, about 15 of us set of to Ongar nice dry weather but there were some really damp roads, looked like the weather had finally broken but i won't hold my breath. lol.

colly

Re member eR
First sunny day for what seems like centuries.
So out for a bash under the old currant bun. I made good time out east to the flat lands knowing the wind was coming from the back and the right. I wasn't looking forward to the return into it. Well actually I was looking forward to it, and dreading it. Anyway with Garforth and Lotherton behind me I breezed past Towton and made for Cawood. Decision time. Do I go on to Selby and turn for home or cross the river and head for York. Well York got the vote.
I wish I'd had a camera with because the Ouse looked fit to burst, it must have been so much worse a week or so ago. Through Naburn and into York the wind was seemingly in my face, which was odd because I was going pretty much due north and the wind should have been from the south west.
After braving the traffic going through the city it was west and up through Holgate and Acomb and on towards Wetherby. I was making good time even though the wind was a real bastard in my face.
Somewhere around Rufforth, just before Long Marston I was overtaken by a rider. Naturally I tucked in as close as I could and got a handy tow for a couple of miles until an uphill stretch which saw me lose his wheel. I was yoyo-ing off his rear wheel 50m to 10m but could never quite get back. Then after another short uphill I saw him drift away into the distance.
So I battled the wind into Wetherby, past the race course and as I came to bridge over the A1M I finally ran out of steam. That little climb was the last straw and I bonked. Nursing my sorry rear into Wetherby I stopped for refreshments AKA a Bounty bar. I was only 10 miles from home but they were going to be not jolly miles.
Well I did get home and the Bounty bar did ease the last couple of climbs.
Note to self: Eat something before going out huh? It's not difficult.

So it was 53 miles of mostly enjoyable riding , despite the wind, in glorious sunshine.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2208722
http://app.strava.com/activities/110640735

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
55 miles on what should have been a 50 mile Polocini Test Team ride. Set off bang on 9 having had a coffee at the cafe in Romiley. One of the early riders, so only had a few others. Out through Woodford and Prestbury then onto The Wizard. Thought we had to go down Artists lane so me and another lad took that as couldn't see any signs. No signs at the bottom so we went into Alderley, and didn't see any more (later confirmed we'd been slightly ahead of the person putting the signs out). I should have had the route on the Garmin, but I had been lazy and just copied it over, rather then editing out track points, it didn't navigate.

Me and the other lad knew where we were going for the half way, so made a detour to Mechanica bike shop where there was the half way feed. On the way there I'd said, turn left at the next roundabout. The lad focused on the second, I went left, he went straight into the side of me. We both literally bounced of each other's shoulders. Either luck, or being used to racing and commuting !

Regrouped with others in Knutsford, then headed along the route home. Bumped into Frank from here (another Polocini rider) and we made our way home. Hot soup, a roll and a coffee were all waiting at the cafe.

Great ride, even if a little 'diverted'. Bike was filthy despite the guards. Next event is in two weeks from the Shop. Over 150 riders turned up.

Faster ride yesterday down to Oundle with the Early Birds Ride, where we stopped for coffee and were blown back.
Today I met some of the guys again then road to a Cafe, lol they all have Strava PB's to the cafe from sitting behind me :laugh:
We then went on a more relaxed ride in the:sun:to Stamford, en route we came across a rider who had been dropped by another club, so our relaxed pace came even more relaxed. As we headed back to town, one of our group had an appointment or something and decided he needed to sprint back. The rider we'd picked up decided that he'd make his own way back so I preceded to chase the breakaway rider down :becool: Each time I looked we were doing 25mph + and often higher :smile: My mate managed to jump on my wheel, chapeau, and tried to come through but it was all he could do to hang on. I then dawdled through town with them but then decided it was too nice a day and went down to Oundle to make it a ton. I went direct into the South westardly which was hard but I knew it make my ride back easier :thumbsup:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A gentle sixteen mile pootle around Skipton, Embsay and Bolton Abbey to take advantage of the sun.
Skipton's best pie shop still exists and is pencilled in for a visit pretty soon

1781892_10152208841098330_534633937_n.jpg

Lovely view above Embsay on my way to Bolton Abbey

1545220_10152208841423330_733248093_n.jpg

The priory at Bolton Abbey

1610068_10152208841608330_205356007_n.jpg

Sustenance beyond temptation

1625727_10152208841808330_1770510434_n.jpg

And finally the primary purpose of the ride - a steam locomotive, an austerity locomotive dressed up as a LNER J94 at Bolton Abbey Station.

1558570_10152208842253330_1488211392_n.jpg

A nice pieless afternoon out.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Was a really nice day here so made the most and took the family out for a ride. My missus has been using the turbo trainer a bit, so it was nice to go for a proper ride. The aim was a slow pedal round Deer Park, part of the Royal Landscape that I seem to have been walking/cycling round a lot recently. Was good to get the kids out on a ride again, normally their weekend are spent hooning around the garden but recent weather has seen that stop to try and save the grass.
Nice to see lots of the 'head down, bum up' brigade (road bikers, a term my Mum used to use) along the roads of the park, our first stop was after SWMBO spotted the stags having a rest (rather small in the middle of the pic, zoom on the phone camera is not worth using..)
2 Feb 2014 Deer.jpg

A little later on we saw the doe, at least 50 -60 of them.
I seem to have a thing for copper horses, this of course being that of George III, sited at Snow Hill (there are 2 others within the Royal Landscape)
2 Feb 2014 Copper Horse.jpg

And is sited at the end of the Long Walk, Windsor Castle in the distance.
2 Feb 2014 Long Walk.jpg
Would love to cycle down here, but sadly not allowed.
From here we went round to Dukes Lane, then up the easier hill to Chaplains Cottage. My 2 girls got off to walk the last bit, so my lad and I zoomed back down, then back up the harder hill past the Royal School. Well pleased with him, kept his bum down and feet spinning all the way to the top with no stopping, he was rather pleased with himself too.
Steady roll back to the car saw us finish 6 miles with 340ft of climbing in an hour. Not far, but a real pleasure to be out as a family again for the first time since Summer.

Big Nick

Took the missus out on her new bike for a quick 5 miler before work, even though we weren't out long we had a great time.
I'm conscious if we go too far too soon it will put her off so just taking it steady, she was knackered but said she could have gone a bit further so a good sign!
It would be great if she got well into it by summer and we could go on a cycling holiday

Took the bike out for my first ride since busting my ankle at Christmas. Broke a couple of small bones in my left ankle during an MTB crash. Couldn't walk on it for about a week, left it strapped up for two weeks limping around the office. Took it easy today with a flat 20 miles. I was surprised that climbing was ok, able to put some power through the pedals even standing. But spinning was painful, once the cadence got above about 70rpm there was a lot of pain and I had to back off. Technically I have another 4 weeks before everything supposed to healed and no real racing until Autumn. But I have a big charity ride (200 miles) in April and I need to get some saddle time in.

Big Nick

Went out on my todd today and realised very quickly 40mph head winds create a bit of a problem especially on inclines!

Managed 18 miles which i was pleased with at my level in those conditions, strangely I felt totally drained two thirds in but then seemed to pick up again towards the end?

Anyway got home, shower, pasta, large mug of tea and a quick chill out before I get my other bike out to ride to work for 3pm !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom