Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Two of us met at mine at 10:00 this morning after topping up with coffee & a sausage sarnie :hungry:
We were planning on about 50 miles via Earls Barton, Wollaston, Emberton and Salcey. As we pedalled into the headwind, we spotted a familiar shape heading towards us. Lee was aiming for Santa Pod but joined up with us instead.
The Felmersam Causeway was a bit damp so I used the raised route

IMG_20140203_183749.jpg

Garry however decided on a more direct route to wash his feet!

IMG_20140203_183844.jpg

He did suffer later, however, as the top of the water was higher than the top of his Sealskinz.... Such is life!
The idea of the clockwise route was to get the headwind for the first 30 and
tailwind for the run back home. It sort of worked, but in some places we had to push hard to achieve 8mph! Gusts up to 30mph are hard to battle against....

IMG_20140203_215317.jpg

This was just after turning right away from the 'breeze' Nr Emberton.
We had thoughs of coffee & cake by now so took the road through Stoke Goldington to Salcey, our favourite stop on this route.

IMG_20140203_184442.jpg

Topped up with cake, we headed homewards. T'other two were nearer to home and did about 50 miles. I had further to go and was going to be on about 55ish so rode an extra loupe at the end to get my first metric hundred of the year.

Quite happy with 63 miles, average 15mph with strong head and sidewinds for a lot of it!

http://app.strava.com/activities/110905418

Last edited:

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Pete, Salcey forest cake is the way to go! I used to work for Toni who works in the kitchen.

I stopped off at Heart of the Shires last week and had a piece of cake almost as big as my head so if you're cake fans, give that a try.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Pete, Salcey forest cake is the way to go! I used to work for Toni who works in the kitchen.

I stopped off at Heart of the Shires last week and had a piece of cake almost as big as my head so if you're cake fans, give that a try.
That looks like it's worth a visit! :thumbsup:

Justiffa

Two of us met at mine at 10:00 this morning after topping up with coffee & a sausage sarnie :hungry:
We were planning on about 50 miles via Earls Barton, Wollaston, Emberton and Salcey. As we pedalled into the headwind, we spotted a familiar shape heading towards us. Lee was aiming for Santa Pod but joined up with us instead.
The Felmersam Causeway was a bit damp so I used the raised route

View attachment 37446

Garry however decided on a more direct route to wash his feet!

View attachment 37447

He did suffer later, however, as the top of the water was higher than the top of his Sealskinz.... Such is life!
The idea of the clockwise route was to get the headwind for the first 30 and
tailwind for the run back home. It sort of worked, but in some places we had to push hard to achieve 8mph! Gusts up to 30mph are hard to battle against....

View attachment 37448

This was just after turning right away from the 'breeze' Nr Emberton.
We had thoughs of coffee & cake by now so took the road through Stoke Goldington to Salcey, our favourite stop on this route.

View attachment 37449

Topped up with cake, we headed homewards. T'other two were nearer to home and did about 50 miles. I had further to go and was going to be on about 55ish so rode an extra loupe at the end to get my first metric hundred of the year.

Quite happy with 63 miles, average 15mph with strong head and sidewinds for a lot of it!

http://app.strava.com/activities/110905418

Oh me oh my look at tht cake :hyper:

Btw great ride guys *eyes still on cake hehehe* :biggrin:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
All these people eating posh cake, I need a cycling buddy to show me the way^_^
Anyways, managed to enthuse myself into getting out this morning. Much debate on which bike ended in the usual fashion with the hybrid coming out tops, simply because the roadie had 2 other bikes locked in front of it and I really couldn't be bothered to move them..
Started well in the sunshine, but 2 miles in a few specks of rain quickly turned to lots of rain, so sheltered in an old wooden bus shelter on the way into Virginia Water. Once it started letting up I continued my merry way up to, perhaps unsurprisingly for the regular readers, to the Royal Landscape whereupon it belted with rain again, this time the new 'visitor centre' giving shelter. After that it was sunshine all the way, and I finally pushed myself into Deer Park, the weekend ride with the family gave me a bit of confidence I think, so a big mental step on my ongoing recovery.
Only 1 photo today, and again regular readers will be familiar with my seeming obsession with metallic equines, or copper horses. The third and final instalment is that of the Queens Golden Jubilee statue, for which I need offer no explanation (I hope...)
:music::music::music::music::music::music::music:A musical interlude whilst my email catches up, pic to follow....- EDIT, here we go
4 Feb 2014 Golden Jubilee 2.jpg

Then a straight run for home, 20 miles again, 600ft of climbing which is the most I've done in one ride since being a little unwell so pleased with that. Also pleased the bike made it, the BB was a bit clicky at the start, but after 7 miles was decidedly graunchy. Odd that by the last 3 miles it was smooth again, it's only 700 miles or so old so perhaps needs a tickled with a mallet or something...

Last edited:
All these people eating posh cake, I need a cycling buddy to show me the way^_^
Anyways, managed to enthuse myself into getting out this morning. Much debate on which bike ended in the usual fashion with the hybrid coming out tops, simply because the roadie had 2 other bikes locked in front of it and I really couldn't be bothered to move them..
Started well in the sunshine, but 2 miles in a few specks of rain quickly turned to lots of rain, so sheltered in an old wooden bus shelter on the way into Virginia Water. Once it started letting up I continued my merry way up to, perhaps unsurprisingly for the regular readers, to the Royal Landscape whereupon it belted with rain again, this time the new 'visitor centre' giving shelter. After that it was sunshine all the way, and I finally pushed myself into Deer Park, the weekend ride with the family gave me a bit of confidence I think, so a big mental step on my ongoing recovery.
Only 1 photo today, and again regular readers will be familiar with my seeming obsession with metallic equines, or copper horses. The third and final instalment is that of the Queens Golden Jubilee statue, for which I need offer no explanation (I hope...)
:music::music::music::music::music::music::music:A musical interlude whilst my email catches up, pic to follow....
Then a straight run for home, 20 miles again, 600ft of climbing which is the most I've done in one ride since being a little unwell so pleased with that. Also pleased the bike made it, the BB was a bit clicky at the start, but after 7 miles was decidedly graunchy. Odd that by the last 3 miles it was smooth again, it's only 700 miles or so old so perhaps needs a tickled with a mallet or something...
Probably passed you @cosmicbike though my timing was better than yours - missed the rain
Yes I passed the three horsey statues today, the one you mention, the copper horse and the on on the polo field
Boy was it windy by the polo field cycled down it in the teeth of the wind

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Probably passed you @cosmicbike though my timing was better than yours - missed the rain
Yes I passed the three horsey statues today, the one you mention, the copper horse and the on on the polo field
Boy was it windy by the polo field cycled down it in the teeth of the wind
Was a tad blowy across the field, though I went Polo Club - Bishopsgate so felt like it was behind me. For what it's worth I was bright orange today, resplendent in my £10 Karrimore jacket, which, whilst doing a sterling job of keeping the wind & rain out, also keeps the 'moisture' in, so by the end of the ride I felt like a boil in the bag biker^_^ On the plus side, it does cover my weight gain far better than the Altura Varium..

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Getting fed up with the wind and rain now. Can we have some high pressure for a bit please?

After a couple of small showers this morning it was beautiful :sun: here at lunch time so I decided to get out with the intention of doing 30 miles. Setting out, my legs were still feeling a bit achey after the ride at the weekend, however I knew they'd loosen up as I went along.

Heading out over Lyth Hill I found that the wind was somewhat stronger than it was at home - this wasn't too much of a problem though as it was downhill to Condover where the clouds ahead of me seemed to be thickening and shortly after the village it started to rain :rain::dry:. I got another mile before it got heavier and the rain cape was earning its keep again. With the rain, the wind picked up pretty well (18mph I later found out) and of course I was riding directly into it which slowed progress. By the time I reached Longnor I'd had enough - it had taken me 15 minutes longer than usual to reach this point and my legs felt like they had nothing left to give so I decided to shorten the ride and head back via Acton Burnell.

Something nice was that it hadn't been raining at Acton Burnell and with the drying wind I was able to ride on some completely dry roads for the first time since the start of December.^_^

The legs did recover a bit and with the wind now behind me I was getting up some decent speed on the flatter bits - especially the section from Condover to the A49 where 20+ was an easy cruise.:smile:

Just over 18 miles today and the average speed was back up to 12.6 mph by the end of the trip which is much better than it could have been.

DSC02492.JPG

The only picture I took today - threatening shower cloud over Caer Caradoc.

Edit: I've just noticed that this ride takes me over 1000 miles since fitting the new wheels, chain and cassette to this bike back in August. Time to do a service I think.

Last edited:

Justiffa

Last sunday me & my buddies went up Fraser's Hill, about 40km up long & winding roads and 40km of exhilarating descent making a total of about 80km.

SundaysRide1.jpg

Climb baby climb…on the way up.

CipMe.jpg

During one of the pitstops with the ride's designated 'sweeper'…he makes sure nobody's left behind.

CA.jpg

Group photo at what is considered as Fraser's Hill main landmark - the clock tower

Trio.jpg

Just us girls goofing at the border…where else can we be 2 places at the same time lol

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
"Eh up, you training fer Tour de France?"

Following last Friday's chain disaster, new chain arrived yesterday (I splashed out on a nice SRAM one) so today was officially New Chain Testing Day. I fancied trying some new climbs and lanes around Strines which is well-known cycling area just west of Sheffield. Strong and blustery southerly which made for hard going.

Up over the Snake was OK but southerlies give you a cross headwind for about 15 miles. Onto Strines and I took a run down to Lower Bradfield. The road down to there was a perfect surface, must have recently been redone. However, Sheffield Metropolitan Borough Council must have run out of tarmac after doing that because then the roads were unremittingly rubbish; potholed, patched up

Had a go at the climb out of Bradfield which will feature in the TdF. Made it up although I suspect a tad slower than they will do on July 6. Did another hard climb to Bolsterstone and when I was near the top some old geezer who was gardening shouted "eh up...you training fer Tour de France?". It was all I had in me to just smile and wave.

I got a bit lost on the lanes (which in true style around here are unremittingly up and down and covered in cow s**t) but I spotted a motorist who was also lost and looking at his map. Turned out he was delivering Yellow Pages, you would have thought a sat nav would be a prerequisite for a job like that. Another few climbs (they were starting to blur into one long uphill ribbon of tarmac by then) and then turn for home via Dunford Bridge. But the God of Headwinds was upset with me today. He treated me to about 12 miles of torture heading home to Glossop. I'm not sure what I did to upset him (although it may be a she, punishing me for not emptying the dishwasher before I went out).

All in all 53 miles and 5,600 ft of climbing. Oh, and the chain was fine

F70100

Who, me ?
First 50 miler for me today round the lanes in Suffolk - Buxhall, Combs, Somersham, Whatfield, Hadleigh, Boxford, Lavenham, Woolpit. Triangular route essentially with 2 tacks into the SSW wind and downwind run home.

Celebrated with a big mug of industrial strength tea, shortbreads and Robert Penns book It's All About The Bike in the bath. No doubt I'll sleep the sleep of the just and suffer all day tomorrow. This must be easier when it's warmer and the roads are dry ??

I've been trying hard to bully myself into getting out, but it has been difficult, however I did succeed it bullying myself to try today, so with that in mind, I tried my first ride in 10 days and only my 2nd in 2 1/2 weeks. I went to the chemist to collect my repeat prescription and then the plan had been to follow the sunday am road bike route... should be about 3 hours, 50-60km and I had lunch with me... 30 mins in is my 'am I OK?' check point on any ride and this time the answer was a definite no. I was breathless and dizzy... not a good combination on a bike and hazardess to someone with balance issue through paralysis, though strangely my legs felt fine... I was also coughing up gunk again and with a snotty nose decided enough was enough. My OH is away from home, my parents' both ill so there is no-one to fall back on if I needed a lift home. I headed home instead. maybe I will try a casual mtb ride tomorrow along the converted railway... need to be able to cycle 15 miles to hospital apt on Thursday (but should be able to cadge a lift home for me and the bike) so fingers crossed. http://www.strava.com/activities/111095626

:snotty nose smilie needed:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been trying hard to bully myself into getting out, but it has been difficult, however I did succeed it bullying myself to try today, so with that in mind, I tried my first ride in 10 days and only my 2nd in 2 1/2 weeks. I went to the chemist to collect my repeat prescription and then the plan had been to follow the sunday am road bike route... should be about 3 hours, 50-60km and I had lunch with me... 30 mins in is my 'am I OK?' check point on any ride and this time the answer was a definite no. I was breathless and dizzy... not a good combination on a bike and hazardess to someone with balance issue through paralysis, though strangely my legs felt fine... I was also coughing up gunk again and with a snotty nose decided enough was enough. My OH is away from home, my parents' both ill so there is no-one to fall back on if I needed a lift home. I headed home instead. maybe I will try a casual mtb ride tomorrow along the converted railway... need to be able to cycle 15 miles to hospital apt on Thursday (but should be able to cadge a lift home for me and the bike) so fingers crossed. http://www.strava.com/activities/111095626

:snotty nose smilie needed:
At least you got out.:thumbsup: Hope you're feeling better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom