Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Not a "ride" as such, but commuted to office in Nottingham from hotel on the other side of town, nice day for it and on the return leg I wheedled my way into Trent Bridge cricket ground and took a great series of pics ^_^
DSC06217cc.JPG

I just took the day off today and had a nice 42 mile ride this morning. Weather was great, dry, sunny, cold but hardly a breath of wind. Route was rolling so I ended up with just under 3000 feet of climbing.
This afternoon I took a trip to my LBS to get some oil and a can of GT85 - ended up buying a bike :biggrin:. I should get it some time next week

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Out about 7, the usual trip along pothole city until I decided to go straight uphill for the first Strava segment..
Just turned Acne junction when I thought, I hope that is nobody smoking in front of that van....
Nah, it was just on fire so stopped and had a quick look to check no one inside...gladly no one.
A quick call to the emergency services, 'Do I have to stay?', 'No' so it was off with a ruined segment and a mundane ride to Linwood Johnstone then back home and surprisingly only a couple of quick showers.
Just another day:rolleyes:

asterix

Comrade Member
My first proper ride this year:blush: as opposed to utility biking, have been building large patio instead.:thumbsdown: Still it's done now.

It was blowing a bit and I really wanted to head out upwind but that would have been boring, flat and wet. So I went out Castle Howard way. It was lovely and sunny and I got a nice push from the wind until I turned off to Terrington then Sheriff Hutton.

Was very pleased with my fitness for February altho' every muscle I have and some I haven't are telling me about it right now. Expect I'll feel great in a few days.

400bhp

Guru
"Christ on a bike" who turned up the wind to 11 today:crazy:

Did a 58 miler this morning on my Jack Jones - an indirect way to Jodrell bank to meet the OH and daughter. Went out via the Wizard and Birtles and back via the outskirts or Northwich.

As soon as I set off the wind was in my face and I knew it would be until I started heading west in 20 miles or so. Just kept telling myself that I will have a fast return with the wind behind me. The body was telling me I should have a weekend off but I can't be arsed with that (am sure many of you know that rather contradictory turn of phrase when it comes to cycling).

Got to Jodrell bob on 10am opening time and within 15 minutes the place was full, the majority of visitors being cyclists - never seen it so busy first thing on a Saturday morning. Had the usual bacon sandwich (the best bacon sandwiches anywhere) and a couple of "Americanos", then said bye to the family and set off back.

The wind didn't disappoint on the way back, was going pretty quick in places.

I bumped into Andy in Bate heath on the way back, one of the group of cycling buddies that sometimes come out. Now it's nice to bump into Andy, but I'm now expecting pain for the remainder of the ride home as he is v v quick - he delivered on that score:sweat::training::sweat:

Pretty tired now - off to view some bikes for the OH shortly.:becool:

Obligatory food shot:
IMG-20140208-00022.jpg

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Today didn't quite go to plan - I went out with my cycle group but having seen the forecast, wasn't expecting anyone to turn up. I only went because I'd arranged to buy some stuff from another member and knew she'd be there - figured we could go for a coffee and then I'd make my way home. The TV forecast was different to the ones I'd seen online and there were nearly a dozen of us ... which meant there were nearly a dozen minus one who had one hell of a shock when the real life weather did as predicted online and threw hailstones at us less than an hour after we set off. :giggle: I think there may have been some howls of "it was supposed to be sunny until this afternoon" but it was hard to make out over the howling wind (also predicted online) which rather unkindly angled the hailstones so they came at us sideways rather than "only" from above. :B) It didn't help that this all happened as we were crossing the bridge over the M5. As someone said on another thread, it's a bit unnerving, dealing with a sidewind on a bridge over tarmac and moving vehicles...

In such conditions, my attitude is to put your head down and keep going so that at least you stay warm, but everyone else turned round (or stopped before even attempting the bridge) and hid behind the hedge next to the bridge before voting to abandon ship and head for home. Probably a sensible move and there was more than enough compensation for the shorter than expected ride in the form of cake, biscuits and coffee at someone's house - he said afterwards that he understood how coffee shop staff feel when we turn up!

My ride home was rather interesting. I was hoping for a tailwind but life's never that fair - it was a crosswind and a rather nasty one at that, the type that isn't just a strong yet constant wind but gusty so just as you get the bike back under control, you get hit again. I was thoroughly fed up of this and when one gust shoved me all the way over to the white line in the middle of the road, I decided to put some assertive riding into place and rode in primary, one hand out behind me in the "stop" arm signal to prevent anyone from overtaking me. I don't think it was luck so much as a clear message received and understood by all the drivers behind me as I didn't get any problems - they all waited and when I pulled back over as conditions eased, they overtook slowly, giving me lots of room. I repeated this over and over for several miles and the response was exactly the same. Bravo to Somerset's drivers. :bravo:

Peteaud

Veteran
Today didn't quite go to plan - I went out with my cycle group but having seen the forecast, wasn't expecting anyone to turn up. I only went because I'd arranged to buy some stuff from another member and knew she'd be there - figured we could go for a coffee and then I'd make my way home. The TV forecast was different to the ones I'd seen online and there were nearly a dozen of us ... which meant there were nearly a dozen minus one who had one hell of a shock when the real life weather did as predicted online and threw hailstones at us less than an hour after we set off. :giggle: I think there may have been some howls of "it was supposed to be sunny until this afternoon" but it was hard to make out over the howling wind (also predicted online) which rather unkindly angled the hailstones so they came at us sideways rather than "only" from above. :B) It didn't help that this all happened as we were crossing the bridge over the M5. As someone said on another thread, it's a bit unnerving, dealing with a sidewind on a bridge over tarmac and moving vehicles...

In such conditions, my attitude is to put your head down and keep going so that at least you stay warm, but everyone else turned round (or stopped before even attempting the bridge) and hid behind the hedge next to the bridge before voting to abandon ship and head for home. Probably a sensible move and there was more than enough compensation for the shorter than expected ride in the form of cake, biscuits and coffee at someone's house - he said afterwards that he understood how coffee shop staff feel when we turn up!

My ride home was rather interesting. I was hoping for a tailwind but life's never that fair - it was a crosswind and a rather nasty one at that, the type that isn't just a strong yet constant wind but gusty so just as you get the bike back under control, you get hit again. I was thoroughly fed up of this and when one gust shoved me all the way over to the white line in the middle of the road, I decided to put some assertive riding into place and rode in primary, one hand out behind me in the "stop" arm signal to prevent anyone from overtaking me. I don't think it was luck so much as a clear message received and understood by all the drivers behind me as I didn't get any problems - they all waited and when I pulled back over as conditions eased, they overtook slowly, giving me lots of room. I repeated this over and over for several miles and the response was exactly the same. Bravo to Somerset's drivers. :bravo:

Your group is hardcore to the max ^_^ or you are all utter nutters.

BSRU

A Human Being
Woke up a little later than I wanted and with a dead front light battery wasting 10 minutes to fix it, I didn't get out until 5.45am.
A short 40km ride with 407metres of going up, very windy with gusts up to 40mph.
The wind was a real pain for the last 200 metres of my cat 4 climb, 9% gradient straight into the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom