Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Milton Keynes bowl this evening, bloody blowy up there. First time, managed a 22.5mph lap average once. Before I set out I said I'd like to hit 22mph, target achieved.

Need to get myself on some of them trains that get going though...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I promised myself a ride today. We had sunny spells and I didn't want to waste them. The thing is ... I very nearly did. I kept finding things to do rather than ride and the time was getting on. By 2 pm, I realised that I was going to run out of sunshine very shortly if I didn't get ready and go ASAP. So, I rushed about getting ready, topped up my tyre pressures, and set off at about 2:20. Oh, and I remembered to put warm water in my bottle. My teeth are becoming very sensitive to cold and it was going to be nippy out. I correctly figured that if I started with warm water, it would be just a nice cool temperature by the time I drank it.

One thing that had been putting me off was the thought of climbing to Blackstone Edge into a cold headwind - again! I decided to do something a bit different today - cycle over to Haworth and photograph the route that the Tour de France riders will be taking from there to Hebden Bridge on stage 2 in July.

So, I set off up the hill with good intentions, but after 4 km of climbing I realised that I had left my camera phone at home! I didn't have enough daylight left to mess about going back for it so I'm afraid that you will have to wait for the pictures until I ride over there again!

I had wind assistance going up the hill, which was a nice change from the in-your-face wind that often plagues the top of the Cragg Vale climb to Blackstone Edge. Sure, the wind would be against me on the way back, but it was forecast to reduce in intensity later and I would be getting some shelter from the hillside as I climbed. I wasn't too bothered about the headwind I would get once I began the descent to Hebden Bridge. I have done it at 40 mph enough times to not be disappointed by only being able to do 25 mph today! But first I had to get to Haworth ...

I enjoyed the climb. A combination of wind assistance and my recent loss of weight made it feel much easier than it used to. I was surprised to notice that I had done the 7 km ride with its 330 metres of ascent in only 33 minutes, and that included time for my GPS to lock on before I set off, and about 3/4 minute having a drink at Pecket Well and looking around at the scenery.

The descent to Oxenhope had a huge windchill factor! I had four layers on top but my chest still felt a bit cold. As for the question of whether to wear an old pair of bibshorts under my 3/4 length knicks ... Er, yes, the ageing process seems to have removed the last vestiges of pleasure from the frozen genitals experience - I will be doubling up on days like this in future!

I was looking out for steam engines at Haworth station, but there were only old diesels there today. I'm sure that they will have steam engines there billowing up smoke and steam as the peloton crosses over the railway in July.

The climb of Bridgehouse lane leads up to the foot of steep, cobbled Main Street. I have never ridden up it before because it is narrow, and usually crawling with tourists when I am there. It looked pretty quiet this afternoon though, so I thought I would ride up to see what the Tour riders will be tackling ...

My view: It won't bother them! It should be a great spectacle on TV though. I imagine that they will allow spectators on Main Street, but will hold them back with barriers which would leave a narrow tunnel for the riders to climb up. The cobbles are in very good condition so they will not be much of a factor unless it is raining, but even then, I don't think the climb is long or steep enough to cause problems. The cars will probably be sent round on the B-road below which joins back up at the top of Main Street.

Well, I didn't sprint up the 2 steep climbs, but neither was I grovelling. I just put the Basso in a nice low gear and twiddled my way up. People used to laugh at the pained contortions on my face when I rode up Bridgehouse Lane, but today I felt pretty relaxed and got a thumbs-up from a pedestrian near the top.

Time was getting on and I didn't want to be climbing back over the moor in the dark so I took a shortcut round the northern flank of Penistone Hill (pronounced Peni-stone, or Peni-stun, before anybody suggests otherwise!) rather than going the longer harder way on the southern flank which the peloton will take.

I dropped down into Oxenhope and began to climb back towards Hebden Bridge. The climb is shorter from the Oxenhope side, but steeper, ascending 200 m in 3.2 km, an average of about 6.3%.

The sun was going down and the temperature was plummeting as I got to the summit. I stopped to put my lights on and then plunged down into the bitter headwind that I had been expecting.

I was 2.5 km short of my 32 km target when I got back to Hebden Bridge so I did 5 rapid laps of a 500 m circuit round the block containing the Market Place car park.

So, 32 km distance, 750 m of climbing.

My heart, lungs, and legs are coming on, but my back aches now. My back and core muscles need to be improved to take the strain of steep climbs.

PS Oh, I forgot ... A totally unforeseen consequence of losing so much weight is that I am now much more comfortable on the saddle. Not only do I have less weight to support, but my bum is much skinnier so there isn't so much flab getting squidged around and rubbed raw! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Justiffa

I've been trying hard to bully myself into getting out, but it has been difficult, however I did succeed it bullying myself to try today, so with that in mind, I tried my first ride in 10 days and only my 2nd in 2 1/2 weeks. I went to the chemist to collect my repeat prescription and then the plan had been to follow the sunday am road bike route... should be about 3 hours, 50-60km and I had lunch with me... 30 mins in is my 'am I OK?' check point on any ride and this time the answer was a definite no. I was breathless and dizzy... not a good combination on a bike and hazardess to someone with balance issue through paralysis, though strangely my legs felt fine... I was also coughing up gunk again and with a snotty nose decided enough was enough. My OH is away from home, my parents' both ill so there is no-one to fall back on if I needed a lift home. I headed home instead. maybe I will try a casual mtb ride tomorrow along the converted railway... need to be able to cycle 15 miles to hospital apt on Thursday (but should be able to cadge a lift home for me and the bike) so fingers crossed. http://www.strava.com/activities/111095626

:snotty nose smilie needed:

Great work there gutsy lady, with so much going against u, u still went out riding!!!!! :bicycle::thumbsup:
Get well soon ya :rose:

Justiffa

I promised myself a ride today. We had sunny spells and I didn't want to waste them. The thing is ... I very nearly did. I kept finding things to do rather than ride and the time was getting on. By 2 pm, I realised that I was going to run out of sunshine very shortly if I didn't get ready and go ASAP. So, I rushed about getting ready, topped up my tyre pressures, and set off at about 2:20. Oh, and I remembered to put warm water in my bottle. My teeth are becoming very sensitive to cold and it was going to be nippy out. I correctly figured that if I started with warm water, it would be just a nice cool temperature by the time I drank it.

One thing that had been putting me off was the thought of climbing to Blackstone Edge into a cold headwind - again! I decided to do something a bit different today - cycle over to Haworth and photograph the route that the Tour de France riders will be taking from there to Hebden Bridge on stage 2 in July.

So, I set off up the hill with good intentions, but after 4 km of climbing I realised that I had left my camera phone at home! I didn't have enough daylight left to mess about going back for it so I'm afraid that you will have to wait for the pictures until I ride over there again!

I had wind assistance going up the hill, which was a nice change from the in-your-face wind that often plagues the top of the Cragg Vale climb to Blackstone Edge. Sure, the wind would be against me on the way back, but it was forecast to reduce in intensity later and I would be getting some shelter from the hillside as I climbed. I wasn't too bothered about the headwind I would get once I began the descent to Hebden Bridge. I have done it at 40 mph enough times to not be disappointed by only being able to do 25 mph today! But first I had to get to Haworth ...

I enjoyed the climb. A combination of wind assistance and my recent loss of weight made it feel much easier than it used to. I was surprised to notice that I had done the 7 km ride with its 330 metres of ascent in only 33 minutes, and that included time for my GPS to lock on before I set off, and about 3/4 minute having a drink at Pecket Well and looking around at the scenery.

The descent to Oxenhope had a huge windchill factor! I had four layers on top but my chest still felt a bit cold. As for the question of whether to wear an old pair of bibshorts under my 3/4 length knicks ... Er, yes, the ageing process seems to have removed the last vestiges of pleasure from the frozen genitals experience - I will be doubling up on days like this in future!

I was looking out for steam engines at Haworth station, but there were only old diesels there today. I'm sure that they will have steam engines there billowing up smoke and steam as the peloton crosses over the railway in July.

The climb of Bridgehouse lane leads up to the foot of steep, cobbled Main Street. I have never ridden up it before because it is narrow, and usually crawling with tourists when I am there. It looked pretty quiet this afternoon though, so I thought I would ride up to see what the Tour riders will be tackling ...

My view: It won't bother them! It should be a great spectacle on TV though. I imagine that they will allow spectators on Main Street, but will hold them back with barriers which would leave a narrow tunnel for the riders to climb up. The cobbles are in very good condition so they will not be much of a factor unless it is raining, but even then, I don't think the climb is long or steep enough to cause problems. The cars will probably be sent round on the B-road below which joins back up at the top of Main Street.

Well, I didn't sprint up the 2 steep climbs, but neither was I grovelling. I just put the Basso in a nice low gear and twiddled my way up. People used to laugh at the pained contortions on my face when I rode up Bridgehouse Lane, but today I felt pretty relaxed and got a thumbs-up from a pedestrian near the top.

Time was getting on and I didn't want to be climbing back over the moor in the dark so I took a shortcut round the northern flank of Penistone (pronounced Peni-stone, or Peni-stun, before anybody suggests otherwise!) rather than going the longer harder way on the southern flank which the peloton will take.

I dropped down into Oxenhope and began to climb back towards Hebden Bridge. The climb is shorter from the Oxenhope side, but steeper, ascending 200 m in 3.2 km, an average of about 6.3%.

The sun was going down and the temperature was plummeting as I got to the summit. I stopped to put my lights on and then plunged down into the bitter headwind that I had been expecting.

I was 2.5 km short of my 32 km target when I got back to Hebden Bridge so I did 5 rapid laps of a 500 m circuit round the block containing the Market Place car park.

So, 32 km distance, 750 m of climbing.

My heart, lungs, and legs are coming on, but my back aches now. My back and core muscles need to be improved to take the strain of steep climbs.

PS Oh, I forgot ... A totally unforeseen consequence of losing so much weight is that I am now much more comfortable on the saddle. Not only do I have less weight to support, but my bum is much skinnier so there isn't so much flab getting squidged around and rubbed raw! :thumbsup:

Next time don't forget the camera ok :ninja: heh3

Great ride, I probably would've ditched the hills thinking of the cold winds waiting for me on descent :cold:

Big Nick

Nice 11 mile ride in between the crap weather today

Only averaged 10mph on the 3 mile incline out of town and with a reasonable headwind to contend with, picked up the pace once that was out the way and averaged 17mph round the rest of the route which I was chuffed with for beginners progress

Had a few go's with my head down trying to streamline my body and was amazed how much difference it makes (my bike is a hybrid so quite upright) and got my max speed up to 32mph, the fastest I've ever been on a bike without an engine fitted!!

Came across a massive flood across the road which I wasn't brave enough to ride through so walked it through, needless to say my next purchase is sealskinz socks!!

Great fun though

Doyleyburger

Veteran
19 miles yesterday. Roads were still very wet from the night before but had to get out. Chose a relatively flat route as I didn't have too much time to do many climbs that would slow me down as I had to be back for the school run.
Managed to get a couple of PR's along the way which was a nice surprise. Climbed 1500ft and was pleased with my average speed in the end.
Gave the bike a good clean after, so it's all clean ready to get dirty again at the weekend

Christopher

Über Member
Little 10 mile pootle about the lanes. Combination of illness and bad weather prevented any rides to date. Had a training jet (looked like a Hawk but I don't really know) from the French Air Force amble past while i was readying the bike, you know its a nice day when the flyers are out. Has been very wet, lovely to get out. Windy but not too bad, got a few drops from a shower. Number of close passes: zero. Number of cars encountered: zero (although I did see one driving away in the distance).

Doyleyburger

Veteran
30 mile spin on the way to work this morning. Nice and bright but very brisk out there !
2000ft climbed and set 5 PR's along the way. Can't complain at that.
Best part is, now I can go home and clean up this bad boy !
2014-02-07 14.47.43.jpg

I don't usually post weekday rides but I had an "incident". The roads were nice and dry for the second day running apart from the odd place where field water was running into the road. A bit windy but been out in a lot worse. When I am only doing a short ride I nearly always head into the hills, and yes I know I am not quite right in the head but I really enjoy grinding up hills into a headwind on fixed, often displaying a manic grin which becomes more prominent the harder the wind blows.
It was only 17 miles, less than 3 miles from home as I am reaching the top of the last hill I see 2 guys on road bikes ahead of me, I must have been catching them as I hadn't seen them earlier. They had stopped at the top either for a breather or to enjoy the view, as I went past I raised my hand in acknowledgement. The road down into Oakham is mostly downhill but with a flat section before the steeper drop into the town. The wind was behind and so my legs were spinning at pretty quick at around 30 mph, I saw the shadow before one of the guys came steaming past me in a big gear without a word.. I have time to notice he is on a Decathlon special, back pack and Ron Hill tracksuit bottoms. So I am a teeny bit mad he didn't speak, he gets about 50 metres in front of me, but now we are on the flat, I am down to 28 mph and he is flagging a bit so I go past, he sees my shadow and turns to say something but I am through. I thought that was the end of it but no! He is on my wheel as I am approaching the steeper drop into town, he then goes past on the steep bit and times it so he goes through one of the few wet patches on the road. Of course he has no mudguards and therefore I am now wet and dirty and not a happy teddy particularly as he is overtaking just before a speed bump.
So, if you are by any chance reading this and you were going into Oakham today on a blue Triban? [is that spelt correctly] Go forth and read up on cycling ettiquete, it isn't big or clever to ride in the manner you did today.
Apart from that I enjoyed the ride as always.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
19 days inactivity so with the perfect weather promising to stay until after work. It was time to get out for a short, sharp shock.
A quick brisk climb not long from home then heading towards Kilmacolm but a quick right turn and on to the back roads which were surprisingly quiet. I tried some 'little' climbs to see how this chubby chap would cope, Bob was peching but soon enjoyed the odd downhill glide. I had a slight headwind on the way home but it was with relief when I finally cycled up the back path and home to a welcome cuppa.
It was good to be out again.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick run out on my Acton Burnell route today to test the bike after servicing the wheel bearings. I did the same version of the route I rode on Tuesday (Lyth Hill, Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Condover and home.) but found it much easier than last time; riding against a lighter wind with fresher feeling legs.

After all the rain yesterday there was a fair bit of standing water around and a couple of minor floods across the road, but the majority of the way round the roads were dry which is nice. Everyone was well behaved on the roads, which was also nice.:smile:

Just over 18 miles at 14mph average which I'm fairly happy with.:thumbsup:

DSC02495.JPG

There's actually a view from Lyth Hill today.:hyper: Looking at the Wrekin.

DSC02496.JPG

Just entering the village of Great Ryton and looking south to The Lawley and Caer Caradoc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom