Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Whilst knowing the sunny weather was meant to be south of Newcastle I was still surprised to wake up to a heavy fog day.
Mid morning, slightly later than expected I set of in search of sun.
There was still some mist and no sun at Sherburn, Bradbury nor Coxhoe. Though I did get a few minutes of glimmer at Sedgefield.

Anyway, I arrived at the Tees Barrage to warm and slightly misty sunshine at the 43 miles point. Well worth the trip even if the sun gacve way to the days mist just 5 miles later, cycling back north via the shorter Wolviston, Wynyard to Wingate route. A pleasant 79 miles in all. Even the fog on the Tyne was at a cycle friendly temperature on my return.

In a way it makes a change. The north east has had an abundant share of sunshine so far this year.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
2nd race of the season, 10TT, was going great, absolutely smashing it, feeling rather hulk like.... then a car cut me up (moved out to straddle the line between the lanes as if moving into the outside lane, then cut back in to the inside lane at the last minute) at the 2nd turn (8.7 miles in), had to hit the brakes hard, skidded and punctured a tub, race over and a 2 mile walk back to HQ! Only 1.3 miles to go, feeling super strong and with an average of 29mph up to that point! Gutted!

Kies

A whole 3 miles in and out of a local village. My car needed a H7 front headlight bulb and the Mrs wanted some meds from LLoyds pharmacy.
Rest of the day spent gardening and washing cars - really enjoyed it as my son actually helped me with the chores

Kies

Please don't say you went in jeans tucked in white socks

Tracksuit bottoms and an old fleece ... Looked a right state actually

Yesterday was part two of my planned 4 ( this was "1 Page Due South") Headed butted a wind as I headed down through Wetheral and the Eden valley towards Armathwaite before turning at High Stand woods and heading towards Low Hesket and the Southwaite Services (my far point was a farm between the services and the A6) Turned back towards Carlisle after passing under the M6 and a blessed tail wind boosted my average speed, missed my turn as I entered the outskirts of Carlisle and so did three extra miles but they were good, so I am not bothered. A good few cyclists out today of all variety's, including a slim young piece who scalped me just South of Wetheral. Oh yes and a team of 4 matching horses rigged to a gentleman's carriage quiet a sight. All in all 25+ miles pleasant miles all on one side of a sheet of A4 paper

gavgav

Guru
Lovely day here in the flatlands, so went off on a 27 mile bimble.

First to a place called Horningsea, a small place north of Cambridge. There's a garden centre there and a bike shop on the same site. That's two of my hobbies in one place catered for - only need an off-licence for the hat trick!

Then off across the river up to Waterbeach on the riverside path. From there, along a very long 'Long Drove' heading north.

View attachment 41071

It did go on a bit.

Then a bit more riverside cycling along a path up to the A1123, on which I crossed back over the River Cam and headed immediately left up the bridleway to a nature reserve called 'Kingfisher Bridge'. The track is a new one to me and very pleasant too. All our droves and bridlepaths are dying out nicely now.

View attachment 41072

At Kingfisher Bridge I had hoped to see the first sand martins of Spring. Some have been spotted already, but I was unlucky - no sign. 4 marsh harriers made up for it though. Our first swallow seems to come back to my village on the first saturday in April every year, so I only have a week to wait to see summer migrants!

Kingfsher Bridge has two hides and a bench atop a 'hill', It must be 70 feet above the rest of the land, so at such lofty altitude I was surprised not to see snow! (Ely Cathedral is a tiny blip on the horizon in the middle of the pic below)

View attachment 41073

It was too nice to be stuck in a hide. So I sat on the bench admiring the view with a cuppa in hand.

Then off home via Wicken Fen, which looked busy, so I avoided the visitors centre. Had a chat further along with another local cyclist who writes this blog.

The konik ponies at Wicken were in fine form.

View attachment 41074

A great day to be out, and the brisk easterly didn't seem to bother me at all - my ambling pace probably helps. I don't really know what Strava is, but kind of assume it's something to do with going a bit quick. I can confidently say I won't be troubling the good folks at Strava any time soon!
Strava is an app where you can record your rides on your phone, etc. I can assure you I'm definitely not fast, but I find it useful to keep a record of how much cycling I've done.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
2nd race of the season, 10TT, was going great, absolutely smashing it, feeling rather hulk like.... then a car cut me up (moved out to straddle the line between the lanes as if moving into the outside lane, then cut back in to the inside lane at the last minute) at the 2nd turn (8.7 miles in), had to hit the brakes hard, skidded and punctured a tub, race over and a 2 mile walk back to HQ! Only 1.3 miles to go, feeling super strong and with an average of 29mph up to that point! Gutted!
Sorry to hear that Rob..

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Strava is an app where you can record your rides on your phone, etc. I can assure you I'm definitely not fast, but I find it useful to keep a record of how much cycling I've done.
I record my now infrequent rides in a notebook, had done for many years, threw them away when I moved 6 years ago. Just as well as it would only dishearten me in my present unfit state to see how much worse I now am!!!!!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
No Sunday ride with our lass this week as she has taken the eldest lad to Oxford for the day. Nice weather, so got the road bike out, warmish, so ditched all the winter clothing and really felt the benefit of all the miles I have been doing on the commute. GPS told me 19mph average for 26 miles, Strava gave me 18.6mph. Winter miles definitely converted into Spring smiles today.

Absolutely loads of people out on bikes in Leicester today.

http://www.strava.com/activities/125198557

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom