Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
What a day.
I've done a few 100 milers but never a 200km ride and most of last week I was a little apprehensive about this one as I haven't done a century ride since last August. I've done a few 70 & 80 odd mile rides this year but nothing close to what was planned for today, and Ian was coming and he bangs out century rides like he's nipping to the shops.
Best bike was going to be used for this one, it is so comfortable on long distance rides, it really comes to its own after a few hours in the saddle.
The weather was ideal for cycling, warm, hazy cloud & a bit of a breeze. We had a few hills to get over the Chilterns into Oxfordshire and then it was mainly flat(ish) for the rest of the ride. We had a few small climbs just to let the legs know what we were doing which gave us great views of Oxfordshire (if you ignored the power station) but the rolling roads were flying by under the wheels and we were making a good pace.
The lunch stop was great (I will stop there again) and before long we were back on the road. We were looping around now and the gentle breeze had picked up a little and we were cycling into it. Head down and peddle on. We took it in turns at the front (thanks Ian for the stints into the wind when I was flagging a bit) and after 90 odd miles we stopped at a garage for a can of coke which didn't touch the sides. The sugar hit worked and we were also out of the wind now so the pace picked up and we were chipping along the rolling roads between 20 -25 mph.
100 miles passed and the average speed was still 18 mph! Could we keep this up, we gave it our best shot and even though we got caught up in traffic going through Berkhamsted by the time we were back to Hemel station it was bang on 18 mph av.
I was about 4 miles from home and faced with a hill about 2 miles or so from the front door. I kept checking the av. speed and it dropped to 17.8. I wasn't having that so for the last mile or so gave it all I had left and as I turned into my road it went back up to 18.
131.6 miles at a bloody good pace.
That was a cracking day on the bike, I've had a nice curry, a couple of pints and now hit the whisky.
What a day.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In addition to Jay's report above

That was bloody good fun and bloody hard work at the same time. Some big hills, some rolling hills, some cracking descent's, some tailwinds, some headwinds (*******s), some potholey country lanes, some lovely smooth tarmac country lanes, deserted roads and lanes, busy roads and lanes. A lot of fast A and B roads, some perfect cycling weather, not too hot and not too sunny, good cloud cover meant I didn't get crisped up by sun.
More Redkites spotted then you could shake a stick at. One field had 7 circling.

The help from Jay's amazing leading spinning legs and his lovely Cervello made for a most excellent fast 200k, and as he said at a very respectable 18.1mph. I'm feeling the burn. Loving it.

So that's Imperial Century # 9 for 2014. A century for every weekend in March and the first 200k of the year.

310314.jpg

Combi

What a great weekend for cycling! Two days back-to-back with :sun:

I finally completed a loop Saturday that took me from Nailsea down past Blagdon Lake and Chew Valley Lake. Previously I had turned back because I needed reading glasses to read road names on my iPhone! This time I found my way, and what a lovely ride it was.
Blagdon3.jpg

Upon reaching Blagdon Lake the winds picked up to their forecast 25mph. I saw an older gentleman out on his hybrid; in a classic bit of understatement he called the weather "a bit drafty".

Blagdon1.jpg

Coming from Colorado I'm used to hills, but usually they come in big, distinct chunks. A favorite ride of mine is a metric century that boasts 1700' of climbing -- most of which comes in two major climbs at 5-8% gradient. Saturday I also got in 1700' of climbing, but in short, 100-yard chunks of up to 16% that simply wore me out after just 32 miles.

Sunday's ride was a nice bit of recovery on relatively flat roads between Nailsea and Yatton. If you were out, you know how nice it was. Overall a great weekend. Now I just need to get my mileage back up!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Last night my brother was keen to do a 30 mile ride today as part of his training for the 48 miler in June, however this morning he wasn't feeling great and couldn't face it. :sad: Having already got my bike out I decided to head out anyway and aimed for a loop to Melverley and back.

Last time I tried heading to Melverley I had to turn back due to flooding, however no such problem today as the river is back down to its usual level. Many of the fields look pretty boggy still though.

The outward leg was assisted by the south easterley wind today so getting to Melverley was quite easy (apart from still feeling the effects of the Trough of Bowland in my legs from Saturdays ride.) The biggest problem was unexpectedly finding that the Westbury road was closed for resurfacing. I started off by being a good boy and walking through the closure :angel: but that seemed a bit pointless after being passed by an artic, a car and a van who were ignoring the road closed signs.:wacko:

The return leg was against the wind and although it wasn't particularly strong I didn't have the energy in the legs to press on very fast. After Montford Bridge the weather decided I needed something else to think about and provided a bit of :rain:. Thanks, needed that (not).:dry:

32.5 miles this time at 12.8 mph average.

DSC0000640.jpg

Someone is keeping an eye on me.

DSC0000641.jpg

As some will know, I briefly venture into Wales on this route.

DSC0000642.jpg

Back across the border.

DSC0000643.jpg

The Royal Hill

DSC0000645.jpg

Blossom at Pentre.

Last edited:

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I took yesterday off after Saturday's CC Forum ride but was back on the 'commute' again today. Over to my parents, only with tired legs still and a stiff easterly headwind, I opted, given it was dry, to head out via the Whitegate Way, then pick up the Wheelock Way and then the Salt Line - all relatively flat and easy converted railway lines... Usual mixture of dog walkers, some helpful and some insisting cyclists don't exist and that shared walkways are for their use only...:wacko: I also had another reason for going out along the Whitegate Way... I wanted to know if the Ransom's (Wild Garlic) was in good leaf yet. I have plans for some homemade wild garlic pesto and know where I will be heading tomorrow! :hungry:

At the end of the Salt Line in Alsager, and just down the road, there is a tree that has a face painted on it, so that is today's photo along with the bike.

IMG_0326.JPG

Coming home was odd. It was one of those overcast I'm trying hard to rain acts, but also that warm (18C) that I was in a s/s top for the entire journey home. It tried raining the entire way, but it didn't really happen :biggrin: and for some reason, tonight's journey home was my 2nd fastest ever on that commute - must have been the easterly wind helping me out! http://www.strava.com/activities/125639882 and today's ride takes me to 1,000km for this month... :heat:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got the car out and headed West of the border today. Parked up near the Mumbles just past Swansea and did a lumpy 29 miler on the Gower Peninsula. Lovely quiet roads, Big empty sandy beaches at Oxwich Bay and Rhossili. Came back via a bit of a beast of a hill up through Reynoldston that got my old ticker thumping. Little lamsies and daffodils everywhere. Loved it all. Kind of like a Welsh Cornwall (though Welsh Dragon would probably say Cornwall is the English Gower). Some photos here:
31 Oxwich Beach.jpg 36.jpg

Attachments

• 39 Worms Head.jpg
    39 Worms Head.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 35 Rhossili.jpg
    35 Rhossili.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 35

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I did my second Imperial Century today. Pretty much the same route as last Sunday, but a couple of mates came along to get their 100 in as well. After coffee and a bacon sarnie, we headed out at about 10 ish.
The weather was a darn sight better than last week with no hailstorms or headwinds worth bothering about. First ride in shorts and short sleeved top for many a month, and actually got home with warm toes :thumbsup:

We stopped at Grafham Water for a bite to eat, coffee and an ice cream. I met a lass from work, and her fella, who had brought the MTB's over for a 13 mile blast round the reservoir. She then picked up her new Specialized road bike from the shop and drove off with the 3 bikes on the roof.
DSC_1706.jpg

As we were there, we popped into the bike shop for a look around for a while. As the time was getting on a bit by now we had to start heading back with just over 40 miles to ride. It was great now to have to struggle against the wind as I'd done 8 days ago. The downside though was a herd of mossies as we rode along the dam wall. There were thousands of them, with some even getting inside my eyewear. We outpaced them though and left many lying squished on the path!

DSC_1691.jpg

Last week.....

DSC_1710.jpg

This week... Much better!!

A short while later, the p*ncture fairy struck. Bob was the lucky recipient.

DSC_1712.jpg

A short while later we were on our way again.

This time, I took the chaps back through Grendon, Castle Ashby and Cogenhoe as this is the route for The Quattro we're on next Sunday. There's a couple of lumpy bits in the area but I was quite proud of myself for getting a PB on all 3 segments of Cogenhoe Hill. Quite happy with that as we were on 84 miles at this point ^_^
I was in the biggest cog on the back and thought it seemed to need pushing a fair bit. When I looked down I realized I was in big cog on the front ! <DOH>

From this point, we rode through Great Houghton and into Brackmills industrial estate as the traffic on the main road was really busy and backed up through the junctions.

The hill out of the back Brackmills is a bit of a tester at the end of a long ride, but we managed it without any problems.

DSC_1715.jpg

We split up at this point and went our different ways home.

It was a great day out, and good to ride with a couple of really good mates.

101 miles in all, averaging 15.5 mph.

http://www.strava.com/activities/125662202

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
:thumbsup:

We stopped at Grafham Water for ....... an ice cream.
View attachment 41242

Wot, no flake? Sacrilege!

laurence

Veteran
just did approx 25 minutes on the turbo - first time i've used it... blimey, never sweated so much in my life! the knee feels ok though, which is a relief... i need to do some serious training for the london 100.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
20140401_124250.jpg
The weather was very misty here at 7.00am but by 10.00 am it had burnt away and there was glorious wall to wall blue skies and :sun:. I left the house at 11.30, went down the lane, onto the A470, then left onto rhe A489 and from there turned right onto the B4404. I crossed over the bridge that spans the river Dovey and took a couple of pictures as below. After exiting the bridge, i turned right again onto a narrow lane that continues until it reaches the little village of cemmaes and cycled back onto the A489, down to the A470 and then 3 miles back home.

I also took some photos of the lane and daffs that are in bloom. A grand total of 14 miles and beautiful weather.

Attachments

• 20140401_124234.jpg
    20140401_124234.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20140401_120348.jpg
    20140401_120348.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20140401_123613.jpg
    20140401_123613.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20140401_123605.jpg
    20140401_123605.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20140401_123613.jpg
    20140401_123613.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20140401_122246.jpg
    20140401_122246.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 38

postman

Legendary Member
38 miles Knaresbrough ,nice sunny day after awhile,my legs were crap,but i was last out late Feb.So i will not complain.I put my Brooks saddle back on and it was super,i also put my large Carradice saddlebag on.All in all a good day.Also a mention for Rascals Cafe,Waterside,Knaresbrough.Excellent cafe give it a visit when in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom