Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Squire
A much cooler day, but just about dry and light winds allowed an expedition into Bowland. I began a long climb through Wray and up to cross ‘o’ greet. It’s a stunning route through very empty moorland. Bird of the day was the Kestrel which I saw on a number of occasions, most of the time trying to avoid the attention of crows that were taking objection to its presence. I made it to the top of the col just before a large group of scooters crested from the other direction. I descended quickly down the lovely Hodder valley and found myself in Slaidburn. I’d have thought about a coffee stop at the Riverside Café but found it is now on Winter opening hours, which for some reason doesn’t include Sundays. Never mind, I continued through Newton and Dunsop Bridge before turning south through Whitewell and then had lunch in Chipping. As usual, the shop provided an excellent bacon sandwich and I was joined by a good group of other cyclists. I took a less travelled route out of Chipping, up some steep climbs to the gliding station and then westward to Bleasdale. At this point I realised I could bag my final lunacy climb target and so I climbed up over Harrison end before descending backward Scorton and Glasson Dock. Overall a cool, cloudy but excellent bike ride with 100.3 km and 1405 m of climbing.

Photos are of the descent down the Hodder Valley, a barn in the middle of nowhere and the bike admiring the view

IMG_0377.jpeg


IMG_0379.jpeg


IMG_0380.jpeg

.
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
Gorgeous scenery @geocycle :becool:

Was going to do a proper write up of today's white-knuckle excursion but the formatting issues with the forum have surpassed my current threshold for bullshit.

Went out, it was nice. Trimmed. Spent a small amount of time upside down in the park. Had a salad. Had a Guinness. Yearned for Broccoli; the universe obliged.

IMG_20261004_130741.jpg
 
Last edited:

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
Yesterday was Audax day ,specifically the Richard Ellis memorial 200 from Dunmow to Whepstead and Manningtree before returning back to Dunmow.

Out at 8:00 after a light breakfast, signing on and briefing before heading up to the first info control at Newport and then on to Grantchester for control no 2 before out of Cambridge via worts causeway and Fulbourn, then down in to Suffolk for some more rolling terrain.

East and northwards towards control no 3 at Whepstead church hall that was also hosting another audax from St Albans (the saints and sinners 200), after missing a turning while getting the Di2 and power meter to connect joined a couple for the run south to Manningtree via Hadleigh for control no 4 and some more sustenance .

Out again for even more hilly terrain and lost contact with the couple on an off road section (GP5000's and deep wet ;eaves don't mix !)
Had a bit of a minor bonk on one of the hills so soft pedalled to the last info control at Bures and scoffed some food and downed a can of Coke (usually struggle to drink that theses days).

Onward to Halstead and with another carb chew downed got a second wind to finally arrive back at Dunmow for the arivee for certification, pizza and other refreshments.

210km in total at 24.5kmh and 8 hours 35 minutes moving time, official finish time at 10 hours and 12 minutes, so well pleased with that.

Not many pics I'm afraid.

Whepstead control/lunch stop

IMG_7543.jpeg


Bike against an Essex wall (near Shalford).

IMG_7544.jpeg


A sight for sore legs.

IMG_7545.jpeg


Stamped card and welcome food (pizza was quickly demolished)

IMG_7546.jpeg


Strava details/map.


IMG_7548.PNG


Now on to the next one!
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Yesterday was Audax day ,specifically the Richard Ellis memorial 200 from Dunmow to Whepstead and Manningtree before returning back to Dunmow.

Out at 8:00 after a light breakfast, signing on and briefing before heading up to the first info control at Newport and then on to Grantchester for control no 2 before out of Cambridge via worts causeway and Fulbourn, then down in to Suffolk for some more rolling terrain.

East and northwards towards control no 3 at Whepstead church hall that was also hosting another audax from St Albans (the saints and sinners 200), after missing a turning while getting the Di2 and power meter to connect joined a couple for the run south to Manningtree via Hadleigh for control no 4 and some more sustenance .

Out again for even more hilly terrain and lost contact with the couple on an off road section (GP5000's and deep wet ;eaves don't mix !)
Had a bit of a minor bonk on one of the hills so soft pedalled to the last info control at Bures and scoffed some food and downed a can of Coke (usually struggle to drink that theses days).

Onward to Halstead and with another carb chew downed got a second wind to finally arrive back at Dunmow for the arivee for certification, pizza and other refreshments.

210km in total at 24.5kmh and 8 hours 35 minutes moving time, official finish time at 10 hours and 12 minutes, so well pleased with that.

Not many pics I'm afraid.

Whepstead control/lunch stop

View attachment 823630

Bike against an Essex wall (near Shalford).

View attachment 823626

A sight for sore legs.

View attachment 823627

Stamped card and welcome food (pizza was quickly demolished)

View attachment 823628

Strava details/map.


View attachment 823629

Now on to the next one!

Congrats on a fab ride 👌
 
My Sunday ride went to a village called Gretton today. Started bright but cold (6deg C), but there was almost no wind (so it was warm in the sun) and it stayed sunny and warmed up to 20deg C. The first 35miles were a slow 16.1mph but the last 20 was 19mph.
Screenshot_20261004_193512_Strava.jpg


FB_IMG_1791116116971.jpg


VNqNJC7-V1CZIFsFcBFbAOlTeiSVSOms0dzwLMsMJwE-1536x2048.jpg


Y83fv7d7Lyr9of9Szo-jwfDO7ob1and3gEv7ZtYGWNg-2048x1536.jpg


20261004_113027.jpg


20261004_113037.jpg


20261004_113031.jpg



View: https://youtu.be/4nbDRotgWbo


View: https://youtu.be/2IwER6y6p1U


View: https://youtu.be/wcyOE-llhcE


View: https://youtu.be/3_DfTgJZMlU




View: https://youtu.be/2sLNxV2ZzcY

https://youtu.be/xXh6T1qn_cU
https://youtu.be/gXDVdHDVk1U
https://youtu.be/W9r2Tkeylaw
https://youtu.be/y2OAtmxkwSU
 
Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Dark, cold(er) - but dry: and still a really nice way to start your day. Especially when I set my Spotify / single sound-projecting earbud combination: to accompany me in with some ‘80’s Power Ballads’ 🤣

New genuine Shimano R/H gearshift / brake lever combo (I have doubts the outgoing unit was Genuine…..😙) and New rear derailleur (Shimano ESSA) seems to be a step up from where this bike was - and is precise, and pretty slick in use.

Forecast is dry tomorrow too - so I might be able to comfortably (Literally; in some Autumn Sunshine) add another 50+ miles to the yearly collection this week……

IMG_7173.jpeg


IMG_2560.jpeg
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
This Morning turned out duller and cloudier than forecast. I then spent more time than I should looking outside through the window at the glorious afternoon developing…😳

And upon leaving, conditions were great. Not too warm, helping wind and it was obvious I was ‘going well’ soon into my ride. So I pushed on ‘just because’ and until I hit Traffic in Town it looked like I might average 20mph home for the first time. No biggie: I had a lovely ride, I stayed dry, I (Thankfully) failed to engage with any irate BMW drivers **I THINK that was for merely existing on 2-wheels 🙄 and I live to ride tomorrow. Which looking at the forecast; might be the last time this week..🙁

IMG_7181.jpeg
 
Last edited:
4/10/26
Recumbent Ride
Ride to Harthill or, Cheshire is not as flat as you might think.

It occurred to me that I’ve only previously ridden to Harthill from the Nantwich direction, which is a gradual uphill for most of the way. There are steep downhills from Harthill in the direction of Tattenhall and Beeston which I’ve ridden, but it would be a novelty to enjoy the extended downhill via Wrenbury and Nantwich on the way home.

So, today I set off left out of my back gate via Hall Lane, Winsford Road, Hickhurst Lane to Eaton then in the direction of Four Lane Ends, straight through the lights on to the A49 and right after a mile in Tiverton on to Huxley Lane. After a short uphill the trend was downhill. I stopped in a gateway to take a photo of the bike with Beeston Castle in the distance




Beeston Castle 1.jpg


then continued. After a few miles I turned left into Bates Mill Lane. I rolled downhill for about half a mile before turning in to the car park of the Shady Oak to take an alternative photo of Beeston Castle.
Beeston Castle 2.jpg


The pub was crowded so I didn’t hang around long.

Downhill again, over the canal bridge by Bates’ Mill
Bates Mill Bridge.jpg


then uphill to cross over the steep humped railway bridge. Uphill again to meet the road that passes beneath the castle crag.
Beeston Crag 4.jpg


Right, then past a junction en route to the Burwardlsey road. Mostly downhill or level to turn left for Burwardsley and Harthill on the Burwardsley/Tattenhall road. A lot of noise and music from across the fields, unable to see what was going on. The road started level then almost imperceptibly began to climb.

Before very long there was a definite gradient, with the occasional small summit. Ahead were the tree covered hill tops, with some way to go before reaching them. I came to Burwardsley, still climbing but congratulating myself for not having to stop for a breather yet. Up and up, then a couple of dips before going up again. This is all NCN 45, sticking with the tradition of climbing every hill in sight for the sake of avoiding traffic. I knew that somewhere along here the road took a steep dip to cross a valley before climbing steeply up the other side and joining a road from Tattenhall to Harthill. Another dip, down and down into a valley. I got some speed up and sure enough the road rose steeply again. Fortunately I had enough momentum to keep going and I turned left for Harthill at a T junction. The road continued to rise then turned ahead. Could I nearly be at Harthill already? I carried on to the bend but saw about half a mile of straight road climbing ahead. I pulled in and had a Kit Kat and got my breath back. It was a very steep hill and I had to hang on to my brakes to avoid rolling backwards. Could do with a handbrake for these situations. A few cars went by in both directions. This bit of road is obviously busier than the Burwardsley road.

Feeling much better, I got going again. Near the top of this stretch I ran out of steam again. I could see the churchyard wall by now, so stopped for a breather before continuing to park by the church.

Time for a drink and a snack. I parked by the churchyard gate of All Saints church. There were a couple of stone seats in the gateway so I made use of one of them. Rather narrow, not too comfortable. Two people sitting opposite each other could have a conversation but they were for taking the weight off your feet rather than for making yourself too comfortable. The church elders obviously didn’t want to encourage idleness when they provided it.
Harthill 1.jpg







Harthill 2.jpg


I gathered myself together feeling a bit drained after getting up here. It was a bit of a tough one but you don’t know what you can do until you do it. The escarpment I’d just climbed is home to Beeston, Peckforton and Cholmondeley castles which are strung out along it. This is the highest point on this route. The road from here to home has a few mild climbs but the trend is generally downhill.

I set off on a steep short downhill then turned left to reach the A534, across on to Bickerton Road then left past a school on to Cholmondeley Road. Despite some comparatively steep dips and rises I was soon passing the entrance to Cholmondeley Castle, and then at the A49.

Once over the A49 on to Wrenbury Road I felt I was heading for home. Some rises but mostly easy pedalling or freewheeling. I had got my energy back by this time, and as I rolled into Wrenbury and contemplated a Road Closed and Diversion sign at the canal lift bridge I even considered following the diversion.
Wrenbury Road Closed.jpg


Then I realised that the bridge was still open to pedestrians and cyclists so wriggled through the barrier and parked at a canalside bench. I enjoyed some jelly babies before carrying on. Due to the road closure there was very little traffic until I got beyond Wrenbury.

Over a couple of canal bridges, then down a couple of dips and rises, through Ravensmoor to stop at a field gate where there were some convenient concrete blocks to sit on and enjoy some more jelly babies.

Then, in less than a mile, the high canal bridge announcing the entrance to Nantwich appeared. Once over that, a freewheel to a junction with Welsh Row to turn left. Not far after that, the traffic lights by Nantwich acqueduct, a right turn then sharp left into Welshmans Lane.

Despite the potholed surface here I made good progress to the Chester/Wrexham road and got across between bursts of traffic. Rolling steadily along Wettenhall Road, there was a bright sunset developing behind me so even though I was still wearing my shades I stopped in a field gateway to put some flashing lights on.

Then, after powering down a dip to Poole Bridge I was making good progress up the other side when I became aware of some donkey like laughter coming from a couple of mountain bikers coming the other way, followed by “That is soo sick!”. Teenagers, I presume. Oh well, spread a little happiness.

There had previously been a headwind but I was getting some assistance from behind now as the afternoon was turning into a rosy pink evening. It had been a bit grey earlier and I thought it might have rained but that had passed. I came across some signs stating that the road was going to be closed tomorrow and when I came to the canal bridge at the Marina at Cholmondeston it was festooned with Road Closed signs. I got through easily on the bike but a following car squeezed between the bollards and got through too. The canal bridge closed at Wrenbury was on the Llangollen branch of the Shropshire Union canal, but this one is on the Middlewich branch of the Shropshire Union.

It followed me under the railway bridge then overtook and disappeared. No other vehicles came by on the ensuing long straight so the signs must have been discouraging them.

I avoided the worst of the potholes, passed through Cholmondeston and by the Little Man pub and was soon zooming down another dip and up the other side. I turned towards the ravishing sunset for a while before turning away on the final leg home. Past the turning on to Hickhurst lane where I’d turned earlier today, past the entrance to Ashcroft airfield with its prominent wind sock lit up by the orange evening light.

A little further on I stopped to put my clear specs on. It was like turning the clock back an hour and I enjoyed the pink sunset again on the final few miles home. I came to the dip at Darnhall before the lights, hung back, hung back...but it was only when I actually stopped some way back up the hill that the lights went green and I made a rush for the dip. Up the other side, then a leisurely approach to the familiar surroundings near my back gate. It wasn’t quite 40 miles so I went up the road and turned round in an entrance so that it was just over 40 when I turned in through the gate.

Distance 40.02 miles. Max 31.7 mph. Average speed 8.8 mph. According to Cateye Velo 7.
Ascent 1300 ft According to Bikehike.
P1040595.JPG


Images have been doing strange things. Think it's sorted now.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom