Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another group of work utility rides today. One of the mini buses needed a new tyre, a drive to work with Brompton in the boot. Parked the car and took the bus to the tyre depot, didn’t bother to load the bike because I thought I was going to wait for the tyre to be replaced then come back, collect bike ride to office. Wrong.
Tyre fitter said he would be about 20 minutes, so I went to the cafe and had a cuppa and a bacon sandwich. Went back for the bus, then was told the tracking needed doing, another 20 mins.
I walked the 1.5 miles back to the car, by which time I got a call to say bus was ready.
Unloaded the Brompton from the car and rode the long way back to the tyre fitters, up Cockney Hill, down to the back of Tilehurst near the station, then along the Oxford Road. A nice 3.5 mile route along mostly quiet roads.
Loaded bike into bus, took bus back to site, unloaded bike and road 3.5 miles to office via the Bath Road into Reading, then along the Kennet and Avon tow path, then cut through to London Road, then my destination. Another 3.5 miles. One done in the office took more or less the same route back.
When I got home I had another bit of riding to do because I can’t park in my driveway because of building work.
All in all just over 11 miles, cold, blustery, wet riding today, still enjoyable though. I bloody love my Brompton.

Jameshow

Veteran

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Usual pubrun yesterday evening. The weather forecast being awful, I wimped out of riding the 20k to the designated start and opted to ride direct - a mere 12k. There were already large puddles on the road from earlier rain and I started in a shower, which eased fairly quickly.
I splashed my way to Feniton via one huge submerged pothole, and quickly checked that the Nog was indeed closed. Onwards to Payhembury as the rain started again. The old fellow sitting smoking under the sunshade said I wasn't the first. Inside, Ted was at the bar. We chatted to another old boy about his grandfather's bicycle. He left, we sat down, two more sodden cyclists arrived.
Beer, cider, chips and conversation.
Some time after 10 we left to go our separate ways. It was raining properly now. The roads were awash, with impromptu rivers flowing in places. Nothing impassible though. And finally home.
Screenshot_20240328-105213.png

wet.JPG

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Being as it's pi.....sistently raining, my ride today is a bus into town for my 'Spoons lunchtime curry.
I always feel defeated getting the bus instead of riding my klunker into town, but this is typical British weather I guess ☔
Still, if I was in Thailand now I'd be complaining about the heat 🥵

Don’t blame you. It precipitating down here, I was going to cycle/train/cycle to my platelets donation today, but in the end I thought, feck it and drove in.

The bus into town was rammed with school kids, half day for the start of Easter hols, lucky to get a seat.
Must admit, it was a very nice curry, compliments to the microwave operator.
All the more enjoyable seeing folk traipse past outside, wrestling with umbrellas.

Landsurfer

Veteran
We are in our caravan in Redruth … … on the way down this morning we had snow west of Exeter … driving hail … torrential rain …. We have a moat around and about the pitch … luxury !!!
No one has said Granddad for 12 hours … I’m cycling in the morning down to Newlyn … followed by Julie and I folloping around in the caravan, or the Bondage Barn as our kids call it ….Just the break we need 👍👍👍

Top Bottom