Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Long rides look like they will be in short supply for the rest of the month, due to a number of different plans and so I’m trying to make the most of mild dry evenings to get some mileage in.

Out after work, taking my regular Hybrid bike route over to Dad’s, on a very mild evening, but windier than yesterday.

Headed up through Bayston Hill and then up Lyth Hill, with the off road section surprisingly dry, considering the rain that has fallen over the last few months. Been a bit drier over the last few weeks and that has obviously helped things a bit.

Nice descent to Exfords Green and then along to Dad’s, calling in for a chat. Back out to Gonsal, Condover, Betton and home, with the wind behind me, most of the way back. Dried mud on the country roads make it a bumpy route in places though.

15.3 miles at 12.1mph avg.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Training course done for today, and there was rain in the air:sad: Given the choice of sitting about in the hotel or getting wet, I chose getting wet.
Different direction today out towards Biggin Hill, left without a drink so paused at Halstead for some Dr Pepper before continuing on through Knockholt to Cudham. Came down Starhill Road, Audi pulled out in front of me whilst doing 32mph:angry:
16 miles and 345m climbing.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A Tuesday night with nothing on.

So, I got dressed into my cycling kit and went out in the dark. I headed out along the bridleway toward Coton. It was nice and mild with a bit of a breeze on my back. I was going to have a poke around bits of town I never really go to.
Once in Coton I picked up the cycle path and battled my way over the M11 bridge against the tide of commuters going home.

IMG_4866.JPG

A UFO

Through the West Cambridge site and up to the new development, Eddington.
The gypsies moved off from West C on Friday, and they moved the half a mile to Eddington, right by the primary school, no doubt they'll leave their crap there too.

Along Huntingdon Road, through the floating bus stops and in to Bridge street. I turned in to Trinity street and felt the unwelcome feel of a wheel rim from the rear end of my bike. Yep, a puncture! So I went into work. My door has a key pad, so I was in the light and warm. I was only 2' from my track pump, but I needed a key for this door! Off with the wheel, but could I get the tyre off? It took ages. Normally these tyres come off ok, not tonight. In the end I was ready to roll, but I'd lost my mojo. I headed home sticking to Road and cycle path.

Not the fun filled ride I was hoping for. 14 miles, 7 of them grumpy!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1224347082

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Got my car back today after having a new clutch fitted (after 20k miles, thanks Fords) and on the way back it was really sunny so I determined a bike ride was required. Unfortunately by the time I'd got myself organised there were nasty black clouds over the Great Orme. Still, I had changed & got the bike out, so I headed west. But the head wind!! I was struggling to maintain 7mph. I managed to get as far as Pensarn station, then the rain started so I headed back. Now with a tail wind I was traveling somewhat faster, but I didn't manage to beat the rain. How hard is it raining when you're riding away from the wind and it still stings?

Screenshot-2017-10-11 Bike ride 20171011.png

Screenshot-2017-10-11 Bike ride 20171011(1).png

I thought the speed graph was amusing.

4 miles max 18.3 avg 7.8 mph. Year to date, 368.6 miles, Target 500 miles

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Hammering the coast path this week. Mrs MY came out today, fancying a lunch at a bistro along the coast (the Tides @ Llandulas). 4 miles there, 4 miles back and then I carried on to Splash Point and back. Chat's with a couple of other cyclists made for a very enjoyable ride.

1.JPG

15.5 miles max 15.9 avg 7.9 mph. Year to date, 384.2 miles, Target 500 miles

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The aim of my ride today - apart from not wasting another day off pratting around on here - was to get a pic of a recently installed Lonsdale statue.

It's at the North Shields fish quay, so I took the well-ridden route along the coast from Sunderland to the Shields ferry.

The statue is in Londsdale's usual style, this one is a tribute to fishermen who lost their lives at sea.

I believe Lonsdale used to work as a welder in a factory before he discovered his artistic talent with the torches.

His premises are a few miles down the coast in Hetton, County Durham.

Several Lonsdales are now on public display, including two at Seaham, County Durham, and another on the seafront at Scarborough in Yorkshire.

One thing I've noticed is that people, particularly children, seem to warm to his figures.

P1000465.JPG

Opposite the Lonsdale is this building, which has an interestingly glazed first floor.

Seems to be a maritime theme going on, but I don't know any more about the building than that.

P1000467.JPG

Lunch was next on the agenda, and while there are cafes on the fish quay I decided to nip up to Tynemouth.

It's bordering on posh there - appeals to my middle class sensibilities - and today it wasn't strangled with traffic as it usually is.

There was some spaces between the parked Range Rovers and Porsches, and the usual well turned out assortment of 'ladies who lunch' in my chosen eating venue.

One might expect high prices, but £4.75 for a coffee and a toastie is reasonable.

It was pleasantly warm in the cafe, which tells you it was a bit chilly when I went outside.

As has happened before, my Brooks saddle seemed to have got significantly harder in the time it took to have my food.

I've done 2,000 miles on it now, and while it's OK, I can't shake the notion something with a tiny bit of padding and/or give would be more comfortable.

The ride back was in impending darkness.

Happily, the bike has quality lights wired in, although I'd have got away without.

The last pic is at Seaburn where we have one of those 'eye' wheels.

I don't think it's a civic installation, but is part of the small travelling funfair which is there to mark the switching on of Sunderland's illuminations.

P1000469.JPG

About 30 miles, no bother with traffic, although a fair bit of the route is on cycle paths.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out this afternoon for a bit of a blast on the Raleigh. I headed for Condover, Atcham and Upton Magna initially then carried on to Withington and Walcot. It was quite breezy out but was helping me along for most of this bit which was nice and gave a good turn of speed.

At Walcot I turned south and into the wind. This was also where the ride became more undulating so definitely wasn't as quick. I wasn't even quick on the downhill bits due to that headwind.

I'd noticed a rattle on the rough roads to Eaton Constantine which became really irritating by the time I reached Cressage. I've recently adjusted the rear mudguard due to it being tight for clearance and having clogged with mud a couple of times and it turns out that this was now just touching the lower of my two back lights. Taking that lamp off sorted the rattle temporarily.

I took a slightly roundabout route from Cressage through Harnage Grange towards Harley then onto the road for Hughley and onwards to Cardington. This was all directly into the wind so was a bit of a slog.

After Cardington I had my last big climb of the day to Folly Bank (not too bad from this side) and enjoyed the fast twisty descent the other side. The wind was back in my favour most of the way home now and I had a really good run back through Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Condover again.

46.1 miles at 14.3 mph average. I did some tinkering with the lamp bracket as soon as I got back and there is now plenty of clearance so no more rattle.:okay:

I only grabbed a few quick snapshots on the ride this time so apologies that they are all locations you've seen before.

DSC0005230.jpg

DSC0005233.jpg

A couple of shots from the old bridge at Atcham.

DSC0005234.jpg

The Wrekin from Cressage Bridge.

DSC0005236.jpg

The Royal Oak at Cardington.

Last edited:
Top Bottom