Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
WP_20171015_001.jpg
WP_20171015_005.jpg
WP_20171015_006.jpg
WP_20171015_011.jpg
WP_20171015_012.jpg
WP_20171015_013.jpg
WP_20171015_014.jpg
WP_20171015_016.jpg
WP_20171015_023.jpg
had a little pootle around the tees barrage with Karon to get her some fresh air ...only lost her ONCE....lol also went to see Teessaurus Park ...must be getting old as i was not able to climb on any of them
1f641.png
:-( https://www.strava.com/activities/1231805020

Ok not a ride today, went for a ride on saturday with my new girlfriend on the Flitch Way. The longest she has ever ridden before is 7 miles and has a 200 quid wieghs a ton MTB. She managed 20 miles at nearly a average of 10mph which I thought was not bad considering. Only incident was on the way back we were flagged down by some walkers to warn us that a wire had been put up at head hieght by where some travellers were camped. I thought it strange they had not taken it down. So when we got to it I took it down. It was fishing line and was only tied off at one end and just draped over a branch the other end, so was not going to cut someones throat but would be a nuisance.

gavgav

Guru
My ride yesterday. I’ve been up at the caravan with @Rickshaw Phil and his brother, to join in the 150th birthday celebrations for Barmouth Bridge.

We simply had to do a ride over it, to mark the occasion and despite a strong wind, it was remarkably mild for mid October.

We set off down the main road to Barmouth and then dropped down to the seafront, battling a headwind all the way and then rode over Barmouth Bridge, pausing to take a Birthday photo of it.
94270882-9E7B-4EF9-8CB1-8B1F084D9136.jpeg

We then joined the Mawddach Trail, which was very wet and muddy, but with a tailwind we glided effortlessly up to Dolgellau, where we went our separate ways. Doug hadn’t been too well in the week and so he didn’t feel up to the steep climbing that Phil and I had in mind, so he continued into the Town for some lunch, whilst we headed for Coed Y Brenin forest.

Whilst on the lanes heading in that direction, I spotted a sheep in the road ahead and just as I was shouting to Phil, to warm him, a squirrel darted from my left and managed to run in between my 2 wheels :eek:!

We began the very steep climb up through the forest, co-inciding with a group of mountain bikers, who we pretty much left for dead on the climb, which I only needed to stop once on, rather than the 3 times on my previous attempt. 750ft in a couple of miles is enough for me!

Once reaching the top, you loop around the river and drop down a lovely descent towards Llanfachreth. The scenery is something else, with crashing waterfalls, forest and white water river sections. We paused for lunch at one of the most scenic points, near the Golden Valley.
4B4CCABA-5D50-4AC4-9799-259CEB171A30.jpeg

9CD80415-3A52-4BB1-8BC3-4749B0DDEDE3.jpeg

We began the next bit of steep climbing, passing what sounded like a dog fight at a farm down below in the valley and enjoying more amazing scenery in the Rhinog Mountains.
07A1B5B6-D933-4D5D-8695-0C198D0396AF.jpeg

We reached the high point of the ride and then began the exhilarating descent into Dolgellau. There are some really straight sections and a gradient arrow, meaning good speed can be reached, but it was tempered by the headwind to 34.7mph top for me.

We arrived at Dolgellau town centre and looped around to the cafe that we had directed Doug to. There was no sign of him, but after a text message he appeared from behind the cafe. He’d been to the pub instead :laugh:.

We then joined the Mawddach Trail, back towards Barmouth, into the wind now though. There was a brief obstacle, where a warden was cutting up a tree that had fallen into the path, we think on Friday in some very strong winds, before we arrived at The George Hotel for a pint. I’d passed it a few times and it looked inviting, with great views, but it disappointed a bit, not feeling overly welcoming and charging over £4 a pint!:wacko:

4B723788-CF6B-41D8-A931-3E36D12A42E4.jpeg

Back out onto the trail, we added to the mud on the bikes, re-tracing our steps to Barmouth, where it was absolutely heaving with people arriving for the firework and laser show in the evening, which we would be viewing as well.

The trip back along the main road, to the caravan, was quick, with a nice tailwind.

43.8 miles at 10.8mph avg, with 2489 ft of climbing.

We got the train down to Barmouth, in the evening, enjoying the firework display and gobsmacked at the thousands of people who attended. Barmouth ground to a halt, and we were herded like cattle on a very unsafe jam packed train back afterwards, but good fun!
F854745F-B5A2-4558-9D58-A34DFE5F18FA.jpeg

52C735EB-43E4-40E4-B0FA-1ED6446D73AE.jpeg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
One of my children wanted to go to an open day today at Keele University. The power that is was happy didn't want to drive both ways, so after a couple of nanoseconds arm-twisting, I agreed to ride up to Keele and drive back. A perfect planetary line-up? Well, almost. My extremely slow pace meant I had to start very early to fit in with the timetable at Keele.

I rolled away from Gloucester into the dark just before 6am. I'd eaten a king prawn as part of my breakfast, only to notice that it was 6 days past its use by date. It would probably have been better if I hadn't seen that. All seemed fine to start with, but I soon started to feel rubbery legs on the most modest of climb, an excessive amount of wind (we're talking burping here) and frequent waves of nausea. Then, soon after passing Leominster at about 40 miles the feelings of unease thankfully evaporated, just as I was heading into the most rewarding section.

The route I'd picked out is here:

Oct15mapa.JPG

Oct15elea.JPG

First feeing stop was Downton Gorge on the river Teme, near Ludlow. This is somewhere I shall have to visit properly:

Oct15a.JPG

I proceeded past Ludlow Racecourse, over Wenlock Edge via Middlehope (stunning), suddenly emerging to this view northwards:

Oct15b.JPG

I'd noticed a road over Yell Bank near Cardington which rises over 1000 ft. I hadn't reached that height on any ride this year, so I was happy to include that in my route as I headed north to cross the Severn at Atcham.

Thereafter the scenery was more modest, and completely unknown to me. The land rises ever so steadily until about 4 miles before Keele. I hadn't looked carefully enough at the map; I'd assumed that Keele University would sit neatly in a bowl and that I'd plunge down to the finish after crossing the M6. I was sadly disappointed; I'm afraid I'm not used to these mountain top finishes.

I was only a few minutes outside my predicted arrival time, and everyone was happy:

Oct15x.JPG

On a truly glorious Autumn Sunday, but remarkably few cyclists about. I think Autumn is the best, and a recent thread on this site seemed to suggest that this is not a minority view.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm just back from a weekend at the coast with Doug and @gavgav. A good weekend and the weather behaved long enough for us to get a ride in on saturday.

We were staying a few miles up the coast from Barmouth and headed off to do a route that Gav has wanted to take me along for a while but other things have got in the way.

For starters we needed to get to Barmouth which means using the main coast road - not the best but the only route available. Today it wasn't too bad apart from two dimwits who thought nothing of skimming past us with inches to spare between them and oncoming traffic.:rolleyes:

Once you get to the outskirts of town there is an escape route down a steep and narrow lane that comes out at the northernmost end of the promenade which gives some much more pleasant riding even if you stay on the road (which we did this time). Having passed through town we were heading for Barmouth Bridge which celebrates its 150th anniversary this weekend (more about that later) but not before being passed with ease up the short but steep climb on the way by someone who I assumed was on an electric bike - turns out it wasn't.:ohmy:

It was pretty windy which had made the riding so far quite slow but crossing the bridge it seemed to move up a notch and we were having to lean to the right as we crossed the estuary and over onto the Mawddach Trail. For those not familiar, this is an old railway line along the Mawddach Estuary and gives about nine miles of pretty much dead flat riding (but quite wet after rain the day before). Very nice most of the time but now the wind was behind us and we cruised up the path as easily as if we were the ones with electric motors.:bicycle:

At Dolgellau Gav and I seperated from Doug. He has had a bit of a health scare this week when we went for a ride on Tuesday (I didn't write that ride up). I'm pretty sure he just tried to go too fast on a windy day but he is having tests and is under doctors orders not to overdo it, so the plan was for Gav to take me round the hilly section and for Doug to retire to a cafe and we'd meet up with him later on.

Gav's route took us into Coed Y Brenin using tarmac lanes and after negotiating our way out of Dolgellau we were soon onto a road hugging the hillside from where there were some great views. There was also some wildlife to deal with and at one point Gav had just shouted a warning about sheep in the road when there was a flash of grey and a squirrel darted across the road and between his wheels.:ohmy: Seeing as we were doing about 20 at the time it could have been messy.

Further on the real climbing started. As promised this was quite a pull and needed low range. As we started the climb we encountered a group of mountain bikers who had just emerged from one of the trails and were headed up the hill too. We were quicker than they were (feels smug).

They turned off before too long but our climb continued with one stop for a breather which conveniently was just when three vehicles came down the very narrow road (the only ones we saw on this section).

Having done the climbing we had a bit of respite as we descended down a stunning valley alongside the Afon Wen. Gav was enjoying the descent and pressed on. I'd have liked to stop for a photo but thought I'd better keep up but regret that a bit now as it would have made for one of the best pictures on the trip. Never mind - it's an incentive to go back.:okay:

We had a pasue for lunch in a pretty little glade just before the next lot of climbing began. Not quite so steep or so high as the earlier one but still took some effort. Reaching the top of this climb we had the long descent back to Dolgellau. This comes in two sections on pretty good roads so we were quick despite this bit being directly into that wind. I touched 35mph and in better conditions could go quicker.

Back in town we couldn't find Doug at the cafe we thought he was heading for. It turns out he had gone and got a cider instead and when we arrived was having a wander around town.:laugh:

Back onto the Mawddach Trail the wet conditions had dried a little but was now more of a sticky mud. The bikes are all absolutely plastered in it and will need a good clean. We had a stop at the George III Hotel at Penmaenpool. Alright but the place didn't feel overly welcoming and the beer was pricey for the area.

On again we added to the mud on the bikes (we were very glad of mudguards which hardly anyone else seemed to have) and although it slowed us a little, the headwind didn't seem too bad as far as the bridge where it now changed to a tailwind which helped us through Barmouth and back at a very respectable speed to the caravan.

43.5 miles (by my speedo) at 10.6 mph average. Liked that.^_^

Having been out to eat we headed back to Barmouth on the train later on for the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Barmouth Bridge. Arriva Trains Wales engaged with the spirit of the occasion by doing absolutely nothing different to normal :dry: so the large number of revellers were crammed into the usual two carriage railcar. Arriving in town I couldn't believe the number of people who turned out. The last time I saw crowds like that it was for a major concert.:ohmy:

We enjoyed the fireworks and laser light show then settled down with a beer or two on one of the warmest nights of the year to watch the unplanned part of the entertainment: all the motorists trying to get home. The place was completely gridlocked for a good couple of hours and where we were nobody moved an inch for over half an hour. Getting the train back was something of a debacle but we still felt better off than those guys.

A good day - enjoyed that.

DSC0005237.jpg

About to join the promenade at Barmouth.

DSC0005239.jpg

Barmouth Bridge

DSC0005248.jpg

Heading up into the hills.

DSC0005254.jpg

Made it to the top of our first big climb

DSC0005255.jpg

Isolated phone box. Judging by the ivy it doesn't get a huge amount of use.

DSC0005259.jpg

A spot by the river for lunch.

DSC0005261.jpg

The toll bridge at Penmaenpool.

DSC0005262.jpg

Doug enjoys another cider at The George.

DSC0005267.jpg

Action shot on the Mawddach Trail.

DSC0005272.jpg

In the evening. After the fireworks and this lot aint going anywhere.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Todays ride... shock horror... actually posted today!

After a midnight finish at w*rk, I was up with the lark at 06:30 ish, and out on the bike just before 07:30. Still dark and a bit chilly, with a dawn mist in the air.

IMG_3832.JPG

All together, a lovely autumn morning :smile:

My destinations for the day were twofold. Ex RAF Twinwood, where Glenn Miller flew from on the flight that was lost, and Cardington airship sheds just to the south of Bedford.
Both objectives were achieved, I'm pleased to report!

IMG_3842.JPG

This is the Glenn Miller museum that I had to ride up the old airfield roads to reach. Not too good on my Road bike, but manageable with care.
Sadly, it was closed, with no exhibits on show outside. Still, the old control tower and buildings are still intact.

Riding through Bedford isn't a great pleasure, to be honest, due to the one way systems and lane planning, but I was happy to ride virtually alongside a police car, so the Sunday morning muppets were quite well behaved and didn't try to do the wacky races thing :laugh:

IMG_3880.JPG

Spot the bike...

IMG_3854.JPG

These sheds are enormous! I've driven past them many times but have never been able to get close up. Most impressive :thumbsup:

Heading back towards Northampton, I was back in the suburbs of Bedford to Bromham and then onto some nice country lanes.

IMG_3862.JPG

I passed Stevington windmill and had to pop up the unmade road to visit, plus hop across a riddles field in my SPD SL's to take a pic :rolleyes:

IMG_3873.JPG

With only about 15 miles to go, I hadn't seen a cafe, but knew of one within 5 miles of home that I like, so I called in for a cuppa and some warm marmalade cake and cream :mrpig:

Back home on just over 71 miles with a chilly start, but then some lovely autumn weather, bit breezy at times though!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1231443931

:smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I like that windmill @PeteXXX . An unusual design.
On one of my Waresley GC rides you can see the sheds, I'll wave next time!
I’d not heard of this particular windmill but saw it was close to my route. Well worth the detour!
I passed the Cardington sheds a few years ago when the Flying Bum was launching (and crashing) a while back. I’ve been meaning to ride there for ages..

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Lovely ride today weather is stunning for October , weekend of over indulgence so nice to get out and have a good ride , song of my ride was Jump Around

IMG_2236.PNG
IMG_2235.PNG
IMG_2234.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'd hoped to get out for a ride this morning before the weather got too bad but the water pump on my brother's car scuppered that. A bit later on though the car was safely recovered to the garage and the apocalyptic looking sky and red sun that Ophelia brought us earlier in the day had been replaced by blue and proper sunshine so I decided to chance it before the wind got too bad.

I was using the Raleigh as I haven't been happy with the saddle position recently (left knee muscles have been feeling strained) so I wanted to do an adjustment and try it out.

I headed off to do my Acton Burnell loop and knowing I'd have the wind in my face if using the main road, chose to go over Lyth Hill at the start which I felt would be a little safer. When I got to the top I nearly decided to abandon as the wind had picked up so much but after taking a few minutes to enjoy the view and think about it, decided to carry on anyway knowing there were other points I could turn back if needed.

Having dropped down the Condover side of the hill it wasn't as bad as I feared once sheltered by some hedges, so I pressed on. It's more exposed south of the village so I was slow but the bike felt good to ride and the knee didn't feel strained even though I was having to push quite hard to keep moving. Hopefully this latest adjustment has found the sweet spot.

After Longnor I turned northwards again and finally had that wind helping me along. A 20+mph cruise was effortless much of the way back and I was getting into the high 20s quite frequently on the favourable sections.

The couple of climbs on the way were fairly easy today and the only fly in the ointment was having to turn back into the wind briefly at Cantlop on the way back to Condover. The last section made up for it with a fast run to the A49 and 18mph up the little climb to Bayston Hill.

17.7 miles this time at 14.6 mph average (the fast trip back didn't quite make up for the slow trip out) and 31.6 mph maximum.

The wind is picking up properly now so I'm glad I didn't leave it any later. Edit to add, I mentioned the wind and weather but not temperature: it's really mild out. I was comfortable in shorts and t-shirt. :laugh:

DSC0005277.jpg

DSC0005278.jpg

A couple of views from Lyth Hill at the start.

DSC0005280.jpg

Just a pause at the crossroads near Longnor.

DSC0005281.jpg

Acton Burnell.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Once again used the excuse of needing to get out to clear my head (I'm type-setting a book at the moment and it's the very devil), and got in a 20 smile ride to The Trimleys in the sun.
This taken near Falkenham (to remind everyone what blue skies look like). The white dome is an observatory.

1.JPG

And this taken later in the day when I popped over to the shops.

3.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Running short on time today so I figured I hadn't done the old old standby hour's worth loop for a good while. I almost went off to do extra miles at Danemoor Cross but remembered in time it was to be a quickie today. Bits of road I haven't used for ages on this one made for a change. The Ophelia (ex-hurricane) effect was noticeable even if it's centre was off the west of Ireland. Strong wind from the south-ish made some of this tough and other bits easy. 16 smiles

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5001255, member: 9609"]Managed to get 35 in despite the forecast, the big winds never arrived. The skies were odd though, a strange redness to them, it hasn't shown in my pictures, I've since found out it was saharan sands blown here on the soon to arrive storm Ophelia. (def don't want sand blowing about, its the devil for bikes)
Roads never dried out so still have a bike to clean :sad:

[/QUOTE]
Your yesterday's view on streetview here but you've got me today.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was only John B who could make it today. We headed out for Martley and into the Teme valley. What a lovely autumn day. The run along the Teme is one of those special ones which I've done for years and can never get tired of. It's a superbly quiet run with ups and downs, twists and turns. Just super cycling. Tenbury Wells was still where I'd left it and the TABS tea room did us some wonderful refreshments.

Underway again cafe legs kicked in on the first up as we left Tenbury. Again it was ups and downs until we turned for the climb to Leysters. At Hampton Charles John was confused at a junction in these quiet lanes. Soon sorted we dropped off the heights through Thornbury for Bromyard. The call was to climb Halmond's Frome so we took to the Frome valley to climb steeply before dropping off at Fox Hill. A muddy left turn looked super slippery so I played it safe and kept it straight to the opposite side of the road. John was bemused as it wasn't at all slippery - just a trick of the light. Bosbury took us to part at Coddington Cross. My legs had had enough so the climb over The Wyche was slow but the drop back home was just the ticket. Superb day for a lovely ride over the hills and far away. 65 smiles

Top Bottom