Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bike selected; CGR (wet roads, a lot of detritus on the quieter lanes, still mucky, near Micklefield Land-Fill)
Weather; overcast. reasonably mild, strong west wind on return
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

Just a local-ish loop

Out towards Castleford, under the M62 (jct 31) past the Voysey Row
That H&S mans nightmare is also on this road; 'Digger-Land'

Up the hill, to the site of the old Mining College, which was a gorgeous building
(knocked down, now covered in 'box-like' houses, & a replacement College built about a mile away, near 'Xscape')
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1048161
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1048153
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1048167

Into Hightown, & past the site of Castleford & Normanton District Hospital (also flattened, or due to be!!)
Over the level-crossing on Albion Street, past the bus station

Down to the site of the Roman Fort, & the crossing point of the River Aire
(if Barnsdale Road - a Roman road, was continued, in a straight line, from its departure from the A1, at Barnsdale Bar..... between Doncaster & FerryBridge, it'd cross here)

No date, as iPhone picture, but pre-2017
16806885_10210813651529639_4362657926495794593_n.jpg

Along, a very wet Barnsdale Road, interspersed with standing water at the sides, but thankfully nowhere near enough rain, further up the River Aire, to pose the slightest problems
Up 'Mary Pannal hill' once more, and up to Peckfield Bar, which is (as previously noted) where the A63 (Leeds - Selby turnpike) crosses the Barnsdale Road

Once over the Leeds - York railway line, it was a careful manoeuvre onto the white line, for a right turn onto Church Lane, towards Micklefield
Having just passed this partially hidden milestone
Barnsdale & Leeds Road
HookMoor Branch

Road-Trip. 35.JPG

In Micklefield, reminders of the villages previous history, as a stop on, what was quite possibly the most important road in the Country

Micklefield. 19.JPG

Yes, like many other towns & villages, the pre dual-carriagewayed A1 went through here

With a Memorial School to a local Blacksmith
(excuse the finger)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4919912
http://www.aboutmicklefield.btck.co.uk/MethodistChapel
http://www.aboutmicklefield.btck.co.uk/SammyHick

Micklefield. 16.JPG

I passed southbound, along the GNR route, until reaching the 'Boot & Shoe junction, which was where the A63 (from Garforth & Leeds joined)
Nowadays, the A63 joins via a roundabout, with the GNR as a 'local road' to Micklefield
I'm not old enough to remember it as a road junction, but certainly remember the flyover, for eastbound/southbound traffic to join the A1
The mounds are still there
How it was....................
A63/Leeds to the top-left
Micklefield top-centre

NOT MY IMAGE
Peckfield. Boot & Shoe. 6.jpg

Straight down this. now almost deadly quiet road, to 'Selby Fork' as it's still known
(the old A63, Selby road, remains as a service road for the Hotel there
Seen as a white-road, at the roundabout, with the Ledsham road (TOP OF MAP)
Even that junction has changed, but traces of the roundabout are still there, under grassed areas!
Undated, but a 1986 sheet
Map. 3.jpg

Looking at the map, the old (now demolished) bridge at Fairburn can also be seen, that's now a roundabout

Friday 3rd June 2016
Ledsham. 4.JPG

After the junction with the A63/'new' A1 feeder, it a short trip down the 'old' A1 (now single-carriagwayed)
I came from the same direction as the van
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1996868

Into Fairburn past the village 'lock-up' (in a limestone outcrop)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2695319
Drop down towards the Ings, & past the RSPB centre, near the junction of Back Newton Lane (towards the top of 'Mary Pannall', & Newton Lane

A short ride into Castleford, & a continuation of the headwind, back home

The M62 junction was horrendous, with it acting as a wind tunnel

Just in front of me. was another rider, in old Garmin strip (jacket & bib-tights)
At first I thought he was on a Bianchi, as it seemed to be Celeste coloured
It was a TOMAC
I did put it him, that he must have been a MTBer to have such a (named) frame
No, he'd never ridden MTB & didn't know the name:eek:

For such a short ride, I was glad to be home, given the rather gusty wind

Roll on 2018

PS;

Apologies, for rambling on
But, I hope that at least one of you has found a piece of information enclosed, that you didn't know before, & that thus I have increased your knowledge:thanks:

Attachments

• Micklefield. Trade Route. 4.JPG
    Micklefield. Trade Route. 4.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Two chest infections, one after the other, and an unexpected snowfall in the intervening period had already put paid to me hitting my annual target of 3,000 miles this year, but I only needed a handful of miles to make it my second biggest year so far. So out I went in the drizzle to do couple of loops of the local housing estates and back lanes.

Only 10.5 miles today, but that took me to 2,910 for the year. .... my second best in 9 years of cycling, in 88 rides at an average of 33 miles per ride. This was mostly made up of a Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride every month, (half of them audaxes) plus a bunch of my bread and butter 20 mile rides and regular Sunday club rides of 30-40 miles. Can't complain, it's been a good year, with trips to the Yorkshire Dales, The Belgian Ardennes and the North of Scotland. Also threw in a few challenging hilly rides, like the Tumble and the Gospel Pass in South Wales, and Buttertubs Pass and Grinton Moor in the Dales.

Can't wait for the next year's adventures to start, now. I've got trips to North Wales, the Dordogne and the Vosges mountains planned .... and I think I'll aim well beyond my target next year to make sure I don't foul it up at the final hurdle.

Happy New Year everyone, and good luck with whatever your targets or challenges are next year. Donger.

Old jon

Guru
Less Brrr! than recently, so no excuse, it is time I had a ride. With some trepidation I wheeled the geared bike out and hoped I could remember how to pedal.

First test passed, then, now for the glooms of Holbeck. The roads seemed quiet, shops were not open and I was wondering why. Sunday, of course. I had forgotten, and I rarely ride on Sunday anyway. Passed under the wings of Water Lane and stopped at the lights. Felt quite a breeze on my back, which did not bode well for my intended return journey, but aye the bike is pointed that way, just get on with it. Cross the river at Crown Point Bridge, ride past a strangely ( Sunday ) quiet bus station. That breeze helped a lot on the climb up to the Oakwood Clock, and probably helped up Boot Hill as well. But that is a long drag, more than a breeze is needed if you are to notice any assistance.

I cannot recall the last time I rode along Whin Moor Lane, so I turned left onto it and pedalled along to Shadwell. That stretch is a bit exposed to the weather, no hedges, and the breeze was more of a wind. Ah well. Turn left onto Main Street and ride to Slaid Hill, turn right at the lights for Wike Ridge Lane and enjoy the ups and downs and twiddley bits all the way to the last descent into East Keswick. I was overtaken by someone who then slowed to 20 mph all the weary way into the village. This did not please me.

Right! Climb out up Potts Hill, the clock of that make is at the bottom, ride on to the familiar A 659 and turn right for Collingham. A choice of three routes, through Linton or climb Jewitt Lane or ride along Wattle Syke to yet more choices. The third choice, take the last exit off the roundabout and ride along West Woods Road towards Bramham. This might loosely be termed the uphill direction. As could be the road to Thorner from the end of West Woods Road. Yup, there are some downhill bits, my tired legs did not believe that . . .

After the village there is Sandhills to be ridden through. The name of the area fits well. I wonder, was it a village, or a quarry? Anyway, up and through whatever it was and along to the end of Skeltons Lane which leads conveniently to Red Hall Lane, the A 58 and the easy bit down the hill back towards Roundhay Park and its spare set of gates. Past the clock again and the easy ride back to the centre of town, now a little busier, and across the river to ride through Hunslet and to home. A very welcome sight after 31 miles in just warm enough dry weather. I enjoyed that.

Some places I did not visit appear here . . .

31122017.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Two rides today, lucky me!
The first one was here
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG

In the autumn we came to the velodrome to watch the 6day cycling. Mrs Dave said then 'I have to do this!'

Who am I to argue? She gets a Christmas present, and I get to go along too! It was great. She got right to the top for a number of laps. On one of the bends her wheels were above the white Lee Valley signs and I came by on the black line "cooooeeee!" I shouted. It was utterly brilliant as I wasn't 100% sure she'd get up there. Mind you, she has to be made of stern stuff to tolerate me for 25 years!

It all came to an end all too soon. I think we may return.

Once home I went out for a short 8 mile spin just to turn my legs. I was hoping that the sunset would be good, but it wasn't as it could have been.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1334898169

Happy new year everyone from me & Mrs Dave.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Todays ride posted today!
With the alarm waking me up at a ridiculous 05:15, I nuked some porage and brewed some coffee as I got my wet weather riding kit on. fortunately I did as the forecast was wrong. I'm going to put that little minx, Nazaneen, over my knee and smack her bottom!

It was supposed to stop piddling down at about 06:00. At 07:00, 08:00 and 10:00, it rained. The promised sunshine was noticeable by its absence... The only correct bit was the wind!

IMG_4504.jpg

First stop was in Wollaston..

IMG_4509.JPG

Then Bedford town centre, where this thingie stands.

IMG_4513.JPG

This is aptly named 'The Ark'. It is owned by the Panacea Society and is where Jesus is going to live when he next turns up. They bought the house specially for him :rolleyes:
It's 18, Albany Road, Bedford, if you wish to find out more.

From there, I rode past the castle on The Embankment and out of town and through the soggy countryside, towards Newport Pagnell before aiming back to home, but with a stop at Salcey Forest cafe for sustenance.

IMG_4529.JPG

Hot chocolate and warm apple cake :hungry:

Back home, with chilly toes, but dry, even though it piddled down for about 80% of the 67 miles.
Happy with the water resistance of my newish jacket and new gloves!

Also pleased with the route I put on my Elemnt. First time I've followed a planned ride on it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1334335077

:smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Last ride of the year, Nice and steady with the other half and a couple of mates 26 miles to the pub for a nice mixed grill and a couple of pints. the heavens opened up while we where in the pub, Thought we where going to be there a lot longer, but the rain stopped it was time to head home.
Looking forward to a New Years day ride.
Happy new year all.:cheers::cheers::cheers:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1334896524

13 rider

Guru
Two rides today, lucky me!
The first one was here
View attachment 389380 View attachment 389381

In the autumn we came to the velodrome to watch the 6day cycling. Mrs Dave said then 'I have to do this!'

Who am I to argue? She gets a Christmas present, and I get to go along too! It was great. She got right to the top for a number of laps. On one of the bends her wheels were above the white Lee Valley signs and I came by on the black line "cooooeeee!" I shouted. It was utterly brilliant as I wasn't 100% sure she'd get up there. Mind you, she has to be made of stern stuff to tolerate me for 25 years!

It all came to an end all too soon. I think we may return.

Once home I went out for a short 8 mile spin just to turn my legs. I was hoping that the sunset would be good, but it wasn't as it could have been.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1334898169

Happy new year everyone from me & Mrs Dave.
Great fun isn't it kudos Mrs d . The track a lot steeper when your at the bottom :eek:. Tandem next time ?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I "did" the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal this afternoon as part of my ride.

What a horrible path. Looked like someone had been digging up and not put it back properly. Very muddy, sticky horribleness. I've sent a stern e-mail off to the Waterways people LOL.

On top of that I encountered the most brutal of headwinds on the return leg, the worse was on the wide open space adjacent to Dorney Lake.
Much of the tow path through Hemel is the same. Very very rough and currently huge puddles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom