Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
1st of the month an Imperial century challenge to start again . Having bumped in @Supersuperleeds on Thursday a plan was hatched and he devised a circular route from my house . Out the door at 0725 to meet @Supersuperleeds a mile away . He was waiting for me so off we go . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Syston ,Barkby ,Keyham and over a deserted A47 into Billsden which was quiet as a grave .Into the rolling countryside around the Langton's quick diversion into Northamptonshire at Weston on Welland before turning back into Leicestershire .Welham ,Kibworth ,Fleckney and round Bruntingthorpe and into Lutterworth the halfway point . Were both feeling a bit leggy today so a cafe stop in Morrison's was called for as it was open when most cafes were not . A surprisingly good coffee and sausage bap at reasonable prices were consumed . As we left it had started to rain making it slightly unpleasant to say the least . On to Ullesthorpe and turned onto new roads for me to Monks Kirby ,Brinklow and nearly to Ansty but not my Anstey . Bit of urban roads through Bedworth then back to the countryside and the rain begins to ease . More urban roads through Nuneaton and back over the A5 to familiar ground and the sun breaks out at last .Higham on the hill and finally the cafe at Sutton Wharf which just before @Supersuperleeds past the ton . We were both ready for another break we were feeling the miles now . Coffee and a bowl of chips each were eagerly consumed . So back out for the homeward leg . Cadeby and then climbing into Kirby Mallory I past the ton . Newbold Vernon ,Desford ,Ratby ,Groby and finally the right Anstey . Here we parted ways leaving me a half mile climb to home and @Supersuperleeds to do another 7 or so home .
110.9 miles for me at 15.4 mph legs are telling me that was tough . @Supersuperleeds pressed on to do another metric double ton I think 125 miles . Tough but enjoyable ride which the company got us both through it .So just another 11 tons to go . Dam these monthly challenges :laugh:

Last edited:
Two chest infections, one after the other, and an unexpected snowfall in the intervening period had already put paid to me hitting my annual target of 3,000 miles this year, but I only needed a handful of miles to make it my second biggest year so far. So out I went in the drizzle to do couple of loops of the local housing estates and back lanes.

Only 10.5 miles today, but that took me to 2,910 for the year. .... my second best in 9 years of cycling, in 88 rides at an average of 33 miles per ride. This was mostly made up of a Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride every month, (half of them audaxes) plus a bunch of my bread and butter 20 mile rides and regular Sunday club rides of 30-40 miles. Can't complain, it's been a good year, with trips to the Yorkshire Dales, The Belgian Ardennes and the North of Scotland. Also threw in a few challenging hilly rides, like the Tumble and the Gospel Pass in South Wales, and Buttertubs Pass and Grinton Moor in the Dales.

Can't wait for the next year's adventures to start, now. I've got trips to North Wales, the Dordogne and the Vosges mountains planned .... and I think I'll aim well beyond my target next year to make sure I don't foul it up at the final hurdle.

Happy New Year everyone, and good luck with whatever your targets or challenges are next year. Donger.
Donger 2,910 well done that's some achievement. I probably didn't even get near to the last three figures. HNY to you and our forum friends too.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First ride of 2018.:okay: A day later than intended and just a short one to blow the cobwebs away: Over Lyth Hill then onto my Acton Burnell loop, finishing with the direct route home.

It was pretty cold, wet and windy out first thing but as soon as I saw a break in the weather I went for it. There was still a bit of drizzle about so I got damp and the headwind wasn't much fun for the first seven miles but when I changed direction at Longnor it was behind me and helping almost the whole way back.

Edit to add: There were a small number of other cyclists out braving the conditions too including a guy on an upright racing trike.

18.1 miles this time and the wind assisted return leg helped push the average speed up to a reasonable 13.6 mph.

It wasn't a good day for photography so just a couple of snaps to give an idea of the conditions:
DSC0005703.jpg

Not much of a view from Lyth Hill

DSC0005704.jpg

Drizzly at Great Ryton.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Where to go? How to ride there? What to pedal? I guess everyone has similar stuff to decide. Some days it is easier than others and days like today, well, the quandary ( will trichotomy be correct ? ), had been resolved and the body just had to start up.

And start up it did eventually. A little dull outdoors and rain had been promised for later on, which I interpreted as post ride. A brisk ride into Holbeck, and across the Beck of Hol to reach Office Lock and the towpath of the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Pedal off in the direction of Liverpool. Rain. Three hours sooner than expected, rain. Oh well, keep going, along to Viaduct Road and the beginning of the ride up Cardigan Road to Headingley. This bit should have warmed me up. And it did NOT! The rain increased but not my body temperature, particularly my fingers. OK I was on the fixed, so fingers are only needed for brakes, and I only use one of them. But it was painful so I excused myself from riding any further on, thought to ride back along the A 660 into town centre and then thought better of that. About turn, North Lane and on to Kirkstall and a return to the towpath, this time homewards.

For a change, the towpath was free of joggers. In fact there were few folk about at all. The canal was once bordered by all types of industry, usually mucky and noisy. Most of that has departed now, but there are still the scars or interesting relics of the past, depending on your viewpoint. The power station at Kirkstall has been replaced by a large substation for quite a while now, ugly stuff really. The marina ( odd place for one ) is still there, and Armley Mills, a museum now. Travelling further, it is a difficult thing to identify some of the businesses now. The Albion pub was at the side of Greenwood and Batley’s access road for a long time, that firm had a machine shop ( or two ) that reached the canal, most of the other firms might just have been textile based. Hmm, might be worth a visit to the Thoresby Society, they will know much more than me.

Anyway, leave the canal, dive under the wings and ride along Great Wilson Street, turn right and find Dewsbury Road and away to home. Still wet, eleven and a bit miles and I guess happy to be in reach of warmth. Good to go out as well.

More squiggles on a short ride

02012018.jpg

galaxy

Veteran
Where to go? How to ride there? What to pedal? I guess everyone has similar stuff to decide. Some days it is easier than others and days like today, well, the quandary ( will trichotomy be correct ? ), had been resolved and the body just had to start up.

And start up it did eventually. A little dull outdoors and rain had been promised for later on, which I interpreted as post ride. A brisk ride into Holbeck, and across the Beck of Hol to reach Office Lock and the towpath of the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Pedal off in the direction of Liverpool. Rain. Three hours sooner than expected, rain. Oh well, keep going, along to Viaduct Road and the beginning of the ride up Cardigan Road to Headingley. This bit should have warmed me up. And it did NOT! The rain increased but not my body temperature, particularly my fingers. OK I was on the fixed, so fingers are only needed for brakes, and I only use one of them. But it was painful so I excused myself from riding any further on, thought to ride back along the A 660 into town centre and then thought better of that. About turn, North Lane and on to Kirkstall and a return to the towpath, this time homewards.

For a change, the towpath was free of joggers. In fact there were few folk about at all. The canal was once bordered by all types of industry, usually mucky and noisy. Most of that has departed now, but there are still the scars or interesting relics of the past, depending on your viewpoint. The power station at Kirkstall has been replaced by a large substation for quite a while now, ugly stuff really. The marina ( odd place for one ) is still there, and Armley Mills, a museum now. Travelling further, it is a difficult thing to identify some of the businesses now. The Albion pub was at the side of Greenwood and Batley’s access road for a long time, that firm had a machine shop ( or two ) that reached the canal, most of the other firms might just have been textile based. Hmm, might be worth a visit to the Thoresby Society, they will know much more than me.

Anyway, leave the canal, dive under the wings and ride along Great Wilson Street, turn right and find Dewsbury Road and away to home. Still wet, eleven and a bit miles and I guess happy to be in reach of warmth. Good to go out as well.

More squiggles on a short ride

View attachment 389772

Sometimes the decisions can be Stressful

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The worst of Storm Eleanor was past but winds were still gusting to 40+mph. But the sky was blue so off I went. At the top of the common the wind coming down Peachfield Road swiped me so fiercely I ended up in the gutter and just about stayed upright. I was heading for the shelter of the lanes where that great invention, "The Hedge", would provide shelter. So it was just lots of bits of tree in the lanes when I got there. There was one small dead tree partly across the lane but on two wheels that was easily ridden around. 4 wheelers would need to stop. There was plenty of water on the Marsh as I crossed but no where near the road. That section had an amazing tail wind assist. Turning at Strensham took me into the wind. Gears were reduced and I soldiered on at less than 8 mph. At Upton the back lane was flooded so I routed the alternative way for Brotheridge Green and my usual run back. Tough one at times today but glad I got out. That kicks off the 2018 campaign now. 35 smiles

Spartak