Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
'Long weekend' coming up, so hopefully................:okay:

(off Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues)
Plus................. over 3 weeks remaining annual-leave to fit in before the beginning of April!^_^

iandg

Legendary Member
(Friday) One of the best rides I've had in ages. A lot of snow about so rode the Cross-Check with the Schwalbe Snow Studs. Hit by a snowy squall on the way to Leurbost (12km) and thought about turning back at 15km but then the wind dropped and the sun came out and it was a lovely ride over Achmore to Callanish. Ordered a plate of soup and a bowl of chips at the visitor centre (but the chips came on a plate and the soup in a bowl) and finished off with a nice strong coffee. Then back out into the elements. The snow started to fall shortly after leaving the cafe and the wind picked up. But it was on my back giving an 'easy' tail wind ride back to Stornoway.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20185117

25920105708_a1774d6d9b_z.jpg

39792389771_a5ac9846cd_z.jpg

39792389541_f3309a2c2f_z.jpg

39792389401_98c1c10144_z.jpg

25920106048_630dfc948e_z.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
What a sh1tty old day! Cold rain all the way round for a ride on my mtb. At the bottom of the village I headed toward Cambridge, slipping and slithering as I went. Into Coton then over the rifle range. The field with the fieldfare in a couple of weeks ago had been ploughed, the track around the edge of the field had been rutted to buggery, it was tough going
IMG_0197.JPG

^^^ it felt like I was riding over this!

Into Barton and over to Haslingfield. I changed the cassette to the biggest gear then went to put the chainring into the smaller one.... no go! I tinkered for a bit but I was getting cold so I opted for Chapel Hill in the big ring. Up and over the hill, then the byway back to Harlton.

In to Eversden then up to the Wimpole ridge. I stopped at the top and watched 2 hares on the field below me. They are sat on the pale bit of grass at 12 o'clock in the picture.
IMG_0200.JPG

Back down to Little Eversden and home along the roads.

Filthy, freezing and soaking. Great fun!

22 messy miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1365897524

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Due to the risk of ice today, the MTB got an airing on it's Schwalbe ice spikes.
Did a regular circuit of mine, which I have to say - on a nice day it is almost as good as anything I have found on my cycle travels in the UK, France, Spain, and Florida. Today was one of those days; very cold but dry and no wind to speak of.

This is the circuit; about 22.7 miles and 1837 feet of climbing:

Screenshot (10).png

The ice spike tyres proved to be a good choice. It was like this for about 7 miles up the Brisbane Glen and then down to Loch Thom before I once again found gritted roads. It was actually easier climbing on this stuff rather than descending. Would have been fine if not for the rutting caused by cars.

IMG_20180120_104820.jpg

Stopped for lunch at Wemyss Bay pier. The ferry was just leaving to my place of birth and former home town of Rothesay:

IMG_20180120_120349.jpg

After lunch, a couple of short but steep climbs up through Skelmorlie, where I saw this. Is it just me or is the sign somewhat ironic? Hope the SAS don't come through my door for publishing this photo on the net!

IMG_20180120_130739.jpg

All in all quite an enjoyable ride today. Given the choice between cold, sunny, still weather and the alternative of mild, wet and windy - I know what my preference is!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Had arranged to meet big Sis at nice pie at 1130 for breakfast forecast looked pretty bad so out the door at 0900 to try and beat the rain . Got a mile down the road and it's spitting enough to put the rain jacket on and it never stopped again for the whole ride !! . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington and up the Wreake valley in constant drizzle . Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Frisby on the Wreake through the village and it's get abit climby now up over the A607 on the rolling terrain around Gaddesby . Back over the A607 to Asfordby and up Saxileby hill . Ab Kettleby, Holwell ,climbing out the village there was 2 horse riders ahead 2 abreast on a narrow road .I was about to let them know I here when they started cantering and I never caught them :surrender:. Onto Scalford and my hands are now wet and cold cafes only 5 miles now thankfully . Pressed on to Nice pie and big Sis was waiting and had ordered my beans on toast and coffee which was soon devoured while I thawed out a bit I had 37 miles on the clock at this point and began to think of a metric century .As we set chatted the rain turned to as much snow as rain and I wasn't looking forward to the ride home .Due to clever planning I swapped my glooves for some dry ones in my pocket ^_^ bliss . So I need to turn the 16 mles route home into 25 plus . Quick diversion through Willoughby on the Wolds and I'm on target . It's getting pretty unpleasant now :rain::cold:. Barrow and Quorn now it's just the matter of following my commute home . Hands are now wet and cold again and overshoes also succumbed to the weather and the feet are wet :sad:. The last 5 miles were tough Rothley ,Cropston and finally home 63.89 miles in the bag . Nice bowl of soup to warm up and cycling clothing and bike put to dry . One of those rides where you think why did I do that :scratch:. So Januarys metric century ride in the bag left a bit later this month as I wasn't sure I was going to commit to it but it made me put the extra miles in today .Dam these challenges :laugh:

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
Nothing anywhere near as epic as the posts above what with ice, and snow etc.

However I did have to tackle the shoppers around Cross Gates and on the return the roundabout at York Road/Ring Road so I feel I've acheived something at least.
A short ride out east through Cross Gates, up to Colton and on towards Garforth. Headed out towards the flat lands of the east and turned north through Micklefield and thence to Aberford. Back west to Barwick in Elmete, past Scholes and Down to Killingbeck and back home. Quite enough on what is a cold damp dirty roaded afternoon.

20miles with about 110ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20205348

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I managed a mere 5 miles to the shops and back this morning in the cold and rain. The rest of the day has been spent decorating, and based on the forecast tomorrow may well be the same.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I normally go out for a ride first thing (before too many motorists have woken up), but with the forecast being for a hard frost overnight that wouldn't clear until mid-morning that went out of the window.
It was the right decision as it was very slippery underfoot walking the dog first thing, with patches of black ice lurking, so other stuff was done and I finally got out on the Giant just before 1pm.
Three close passes in the first couple of miles reminded me why I normally go out early - including one plum in a Peugeot who simply had to get past before we reached some cars parked on the opposite side of the road, which he totally misjudged so just swerved back in across me to avoid crashing into them. Fortunately I was wise to the idiot and had already covered the brakes, but it was still a bit too close for comfort...:dry: I almost caught up to him at the lights but he accelerated through as they were changing. Probably for the best.
Anyhow, Coal Road led to Skeltons Lane which led to the long lumpy descent into Thorner and by the end of that the cold was starting to sneak in through my many layers. While the roads were nicely clear of ice by now there was still some about in the fields and on the verges, along with the last remnants of the snow we had earlier in the week.
Up Main Street and I stayed on for the climb up Church Hill, which then rewards with gently downhill for the next mile or two all the way to Bramham Park and the dip at Wothersome, where I took it steady as it's in the shade and there were frozen puddles at both sides of the road. After the down comes the inevitable climb back out, which at least provided some warmth.
Left at the top onto Thorner Lane, through the smaller dip and then it keeps steadily climbing all the way to the Jewitt Lane junction, before a slight drop to Milner Lane and the run between the ridgetop hedges.
A special mention to the wind today, which was one of those special ones that seemed to be in my face no matter what direction I was riding in.
Down the hill and the little climb back into Thorner, stopping at St Peters Church for a photo:
IMG_20180120_134325410.jpg

Back in the saddle and along to the Mexborough Arms, where I turned right onto Carr Lane for the rollercoaster to the A58.
There it was left and a quick run, conscious I was riding into the low sun on a 50mph road, to the Coal Road junction and a huff and puff up the hill, followed by a spin along the flat section before dropping down onto local roads towards home, but adding a long loop on to push the mileage on towards respectability.

15.4 miles (24.8km) in 1h 10m at a sensible 13.2mph with 787ft climbed and an average temperature of 2.6°C which is approaching tropical compared to last weekend.

Glad to get out, even for a time limited ride, and I won't let a few motorised muppet spoil that. Spring really can't come soon enough though :laugh:
Tomorrow is looking like a wash out with sleet in the morning becoming heavy rain later, so it looks like any Sunday Cycling will be indoors.

And to end, the map:
20012018.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rain and more rain. 3C (37F) with a bit of breeze too. Grim. I watched the radar for a gap in the worst of it. A combination of real time Rain Radar watching and Met Office forecasting lead me to head out after lunch. It was still raining but less so. It was still cold too. At least the breeze was assisting a bit. I took to the usual Castlemorton lanes for a decision point at the Farmers' Arms. If it was still horrid I'd take a shorter route or if things were OK I'd head out around the Ashleworth loop. I felt OK and the rain wasn't too drastic so I turned for Rye Street and on down for Redmarley. Wow - some snowdrops were out. They think it's spring. I know better tho' as it was still pretty Grim. The rain did cease but cold, grey and misty plus misted up specs meant the scenery had to be very close to see it.

I got cold dropping off from Brand Green. Self induced wind chill on top of the already cold weather. So I headed for the climb to Woolridge to warm up. No scenery up here tho'. Misty everywhere. At least the rain had stopped. On along the Hams was brisk but the grey was deepening. When I reached Longdon I realised why from the Church clock. The sun was going down. My lights went on but I was able to keep my pace fairly good. That breeze seemed to have dropped. It wasn't long and the scenery was now hidden in the dark. Tree shapes against a deep grey sky was about all I could see. Still I was riding OK so I rolled in feeling I'd had a good one. My only cold bits were the toes on one foot where some road spray had penetrated my overshoes. The big bonus was that Mrs 26 had dinner waiting. What could be better? 47 smiles (or grimaces?)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Great winter pictures in this thread, some hardy riders too!
What I want to know is: @User9609 do you ever fall off?
You don't use the studded tyres, do you?
My ride today was just the commute, I stayed on the gritted roads with my studded tractor.
All good once I made it out of the housing scheme.
Two close passes tonight because I was too slow, but, hey ho, such is the cyclist's life :laugh:

Top Bottom