Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So as @Supersuperleeds has previously alluded to, the planned Sunday social CC Forum ride around Market Bosworth was rightly cancelled (though rescheduled for next week) and because I am not as brave/crazy (delete as appropriate!) as @Supersuperleeds, I thought I’d play it safe and do a 100km ride on zwift. I did ok...for about 2 hours by which time my derrière was most uncomfortable and I just could not continue with it. 40 “virtual” miles it was in the end.
Forecast looking better for next week I’m told, and the midweek socials possibly back on too so I can start recording some real miles again!!

B235ECCC-CB8D-44FA-9EF0-1F39EEA28189.jpeg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having spent yesterday afternoon & evening slumped in front of the TV watching the Sebring 12hr live stream, I decided to head out for a ride this morning to make up for the alcohol & crisps consumed. A check of the wind direction and strength on Wundermap assisted route planning to minimise the effects of the cold, but there were still a couple of sections where I was swearing out loud at the head or cross winds.

It was -1°C when I left and never got any warmer, while the 15-20mph easterly was brutally cold in the open areas and it was as grey as only a British winter's day can be. I did keep away from my preferred back roads thanks to last night's snow, but there were still large patches of ice in a couple of places which needed avoiding. Out through Kirton and Brightwell before dropping in to Newbourne and heading back up to Waldingfield & Martlesham, across to Rushmere and Westerfield where there was the most evidence of yesterday's conditions...
Westerfield Church Road.JPG
(OK, so it's not as impressive as others have posted from a couple of weeks ago)
From there it was back home via Ipswich and Buckleshap to complete a metric 50 and to defrost my toes.
Sunday.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/1459555008

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not having got out over the weekend I tried to make up for that this afternoon. I went for the reverse version of my Cardington route which I don't do often as the climbing seems to go on forever when riding it clockwise. Heading out to Condover it immediately became apparent that the wind was fairly strong today (met office says it was 22-34 mph while I was out) but fortunately going this way it would be helping me up those hills later on, although I'd have to ride into it on the way back.

After the snow overnight into Sunday, the thaw has been quite rapid and that wind had dried out a lot of the roads so I stuck with the normal road tyres without any difficulty.

From Condover I headed to Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell then climbed up to Kenley (bit of a pull this one) and onwards to Cardington. Once past Kenley I had that wind behind me which made the downhill bits fast and the uphill bits fairly easy. After passing Cardington and the climb over Folly Bank I needed to pop an extra fleece on as the wind was quite a bit colder to ride into. From here back to Condover is mostly slightly downhill and I'm used to cruising along at 17 to 20 mph with ease. Today though it was more like 9 to 12 mph and hard work. The short route back would have exposed me to the wind and the busy traffic which wasn't very appealing so I headed over Lyth Hill where there was still snow on the road in places and a flood at the top.

28.8 miles today at 12.6 mph average. Okay given the conditions.

DSC0006012.jpg

The Wrekin has a saddle made of snow.

DSC0006015.jpg

At the summit of the Folly Bank climb.

DSC0006016.jpg

Still looks picturesque partway down the descent.

DSC0006017.jpg

Caer Caradoc from my regular viewpoint.

DSC0006018.jpg

Looking back to the hills from Ryton

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
A couple of weeks ago I was really chuffed when I beat the Beast from the East, but this weekend, when the baby beast paid a visit, I chickened out and opted for a lazy weekend of watching sport on telly, curry, beer and warmth, so today, even though the strong north east wind was still there to make it quite chilly, I had to redeem myself and get out.

I decided to take the new Triban out for its second ride, and went up to the north end of Southport and through Banks, out into the country before heading back through Banks and along the gravel track that connects Banks Road to the Coast Road at Crossens, then I headed south, and now, with the benefit of a tailwind, instead of a headwind, I got a good speed up for about 2 or 3 miles. It was a lovely bright, sunny day, but very blowy and quite chilly. A shorter ride than I normally do at 22 miles, and my average speed was 14.1 mph, a bit lower than normal, which is probably down to spending more time riding into the wind than with it behind me, but I am really enjoying the new bike, it is fun to ride, nippy, tight and responsive, with more of a relaxed posture than a dropped bar bike. It should be good for some of the 15 - 20 mile commutes I do now and again, hopefully being quick enough to cover them in a reasonable time and quite comfortably. I stopped a few times for the odd photo.

Looking across the Ribble Estuary from Crossens towards Blackpool where the tower can be seen just to the right of centre, and St Annes Pier, on the horizon near the left of the pic.
upload_2018-3-19_20-2-36.png

Looking back from the same spot is the Crossens Pumping Station, and the hill just to its left (centre of pic) is Rivington Pike near Bolton.
upload_2018-3-19_20-10-32.png

The sea wall at Southport with Ocean Plaza entertainment / leisure complex to the left. Note that to the left of the wall is the pedestrian part of the wall, where cycling is frowned upon, and to the right is the dedicated cycle path, which is often impassable in the summer, due to pedestrians - not that I'm a paranoid cyclist or anything :-)

upload_2018-3-19_20-15-2.png

Looking past Southport Pier towards Blackpool where the tower and the "Big One" roller coaster stand out as landmarks
upload_2018-3-19_20-17-5.png

upload_2018-3-19_20-17-32.png

upload_2018-3-19_20-18-44.png

upload_2018-3-19_20-19-30.png

upload_2018-3-19_20-20-7.png

Hallelujah!

Finally managed to get out for the first time in eight days, a nice sunny flat run with the MO of just seeing how quick I could do it. I don’t normally focus on speed- I’m not a racer- but with that said I knew from all the indoor stuff and managing 117 miles at 15mph avg that I’d gotten a little stronger so I thought I’d just see how much.

This was definitely a ride of two halves, the first of which was a pacey 10 miles to Twycross in 33 minutes in glorious sunshine (albeit still cold) with a pleasant tailwind. Stopped for 5 mins for a drink and to take the obligatory “Leaning bike” photo and then set off for the return leg.

Oh boy.

The pleasant tailwind I previously referred to suddenly became a biting 20-30mph head/cross wind and the tree lined roads that afforded me such shelter on the way to Twycross were replaced by open countryside. At one point I was blown across the road such was the force of the crosswind and when that changed to a headwind I might as well have ridden up a 25% + climb, such was the difficulty. Max HR (180bpm) was achieved just riding the flats! Needless to say the “see how quick you can do it” ride became more of a “just try and get Home in one piece” ride and my first half average of around 18-19mph quickly dwindled down to 15.5 for the whole ride.

On reflection the words “arse about face” spring to mind with regard to route planning but I just wanted to get out and back before dusk so planning went out the window.

Negatives aside, it was still an enjoyable ride at a still fairly moderate pace... 20 happy smiles for me!

583325D5-D5CD-4D1C-A938-18F382287818.jpeg

Halfway stats

08C1ECCC-C6BC-4FA6-9813-1FB21957EACF.jpeg

Obligatory bike shot

Check out Gone with the wind.... on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/1461143519

Spartak