Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Eleven miles to work in Bradford on a bright crisp morning. My Woodrup is parked next to my workspace. This could become a regular ride.

20150421_083134.jpg

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Such a nice morning I decided on a ride before breakfast. The birds were singing fit to burst and the commuters were hurrying to the station, so I set off along the canal. A commuting cyclist coming the other way almost took a dip when coming through a bridge and finding me (stationary) the other side. 'Twas the shape of things to come. Clearly it is expected that you will cycle south at that time in the morning! A few people were out walking their dogs & a couple of runners but it wasn't too bad. I must have seen half a dozen cyclists in all. When I stopped to let one through I almost over balanced into the bushes!

I stopped to take some photos but my phone clearly hadn't been warned to wake up, or else it's battery was flat. The reflections of houses & boats in canal was too brilliant this morning. You'll just have to imagine them.

Coming back I had the sun in my eyes, so it was difficult to see the path, so was slower than normal. OH was up when I returned & complained I hadn't asked her if she wanted a ride. Seriously, wake you up & ask you if you want a bike ride?

8.5 miles, max 12 avg 6.2 mph - 103.8miles this year

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Eleven miles to work in Bradford on a bright crisp morning. My Woodrup is parked next to my workspace. This could become a regular ride.

View attachment 86347
Until somebody in power spots it and banishes it to outside the building on H&S grounds!

I used to park my bike next to my desk after my sunny summer bike commutes (never did foul weather bike commuting because I had a cheap lift option). I got away with it for ages until the MD nearly tripped over it and that was the end of that.

I was reluctant to leave the bike outside because there had been thefts of bikes from there in the preceding months.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A couple of rides on Sunday and yesterday to post due to w*rk getting in the way of life..

On Sunday I'd hoped to meet up for the Rutland Ride, but as I wasn't home until 03:00 it would have been a bit of a challenge to be in Oakham by 9:30ish!

I got the chance later in the morning to get out for a ride. It was a lot chillier than I'd expected, with a nippy, blustery wind to ride through. My decision to wear shorts wasn't really the right choice, but as I was on my way, I stuck with them. I am glad I had my skull cap tucked in my pocket as I soon decided to stick it under my helmet to keep the warmth in..
Inflite8.jpg

Looking across Pitsford Res on part of the route. My Inflite 8.

Loddington 19415.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/288385152

YESTERDAY
Yesterday, a bunch of us planned to meet at 09:00 at one of the chaps houses, drink his coffee for a while, then head out for a loupe north of the town. I wanted to be home by midday as I was at w*rk at 14:00.

DSC_0844.JPG

One of my favourite bits of road in the area...

DSC_0851.JPG

Once we got to Naseby, I realised what the time was and had to start heading in the general direction of home..
At noon, we were still in Arthingworth, quite a few miles away, so I had to leave the rest of the chaps and pedal like the clappers to be home in time.
I got loads of PB's but didn't have time to check anything out as by the time I locked the bike up at home, it was 13:00. Just time for a shower, scoff a bit of lunch and get it the car for a 25 min drive to w*rk!! Clocked on at 13:57 :laugh:

Next time, we'll do MY route!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/289053496

:heat:

Nice ride in this morning and took a little longer route in via Willingham and then the busway.Nearly didn't go as the forecast was for fog but I left it until as late as poss to decide and I'm glad I did as it was nowhere near as bad and was a really nice morning(in fact a top layer and the thicker gloves had to be removed).

Had a nice run along the busway with two other guys(a Dolan and Giant respectively)so the average speed went up nicely despite having to stop a few times(once for traffic,again for the disrobe and two times for a slipping seat post).

More km's toward the Strava classics challenge and a good spin after Sunday's 100.

https://www.strava.com/activities/289556354

Oh and yesterday was a tiny recovery spin around Cambridge just to keep the legs moving;

https://www.strava.com/activities/288963810

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Started back at work again yesterday, limited hours to start with. Needed some head clearing time so headed out this morning on a slower towpath amble with a plan of 20 or so miles, lower than normal but need to see how I get on with balancing mental & physical exercise..
Headed out through Thorpe before cutting through the golf club/water works to Chertsey, then followed the Thames along the towpath past Laleham, Staines, and Runnymede. Nearly had an 'off', got kinda trapped in a rut and struggled to unclip quickly enough to get a foot down. Got away with a bruised knee thanks to my handlebars, ouch.
Continued along the towpath, which certainly wasn't getting any smoother until I reached Old Windsor Lock. The towpath from here to Datchet is dire, so I hopped onto the roads for a few miles, pausing Victoria Bridge to take a photo, overlooking 'The Home Park'.
21 Apr 2015 Windsor - The Home Park.jpg

Eton in the distance.
Further along there were lots of girls playing rugby, guessing some tournament, they were certainly being very vocal!
Sat in traffic with a roadie at the top of Windsor High Street, then headed back home along Runnymede Road.
25 miles at a rather sedate 11 mph. Still, brings up 800 miles for the year so far.

Another day, another little ride.

So I set out this morning and pretty much had a quiet ride enjoying the scenery and having to stop to put the sunblock on again.
I watched swallows, swifts/house martins (probably the latter) and a yellowhammer. I watched the world go by and I stopped to talk to 2 farmers whose farm in dissected by a road I do. They had seen me several times now and were interested in the trike and we had the usual chat not only about the trike, but about distances and the likes. Shortly after talking to them, 2 cyclist caught me up on the little lane we were on (uphill) and asked about the Rohloff hub and were they worth it. We had a chat until a road junction and then they went their way. Then I had the rest of the ride to enjoy, dodging horses (must have passed 10 or more today!), and many car drivers saying thank you to me (honestly!). Everyone just seems to be in a good mood today. I do hope it continues when my mother arrives later on!

IMG_2854.JPG

Quiet empty single track lanes are turning green now.

IMG_2856.JPG

Kingsley - uphill and quite pretty. There is a nice church just out of sight, but I turn off right at that blue sign (the church).

IMG_2857.JPG

A pretty house on one of the lanes I have added in to make the ride 27km long.

IMG_2859.JPG

Another of the quiet single track lanes (this one is uphill) and sorry about the foot, I have only just spotted it.

IMG_2861.JPG

And behind me is pretty as well. Forget-me-nots and dandelions in flower (plus evidence of some of those horses!).

I also saw plenty of honesty and comfrey in flower and several native bluebells starting to flower as well.

And for some reason I managed an average of 8.3mph today. 0.3mph up on yesterday, but I have no idea as to why. It is my highest to date since my back went.
Also I covered 16,000km logged kilometres today on Strava in a time of 999hrs, 54 mins 36 seconds. My husband thinks I should have a 5 minute 24 second ride this afternoon! :laugh:

https://www.strava.com/activities/289629762 16.8miles at a staggering 8.3mph. :biggrin:

BSRU

A Human Being
A good 121km ride this morning with 1220m of going up, which was nice especially as after 32km I'd only gone up 160m, in the next 18km I went up 360m:wacko:.
Was very cold when I set out at 6.30am, my ears were freezing but by 10am I had to whip of my baselayer as it was too warm:sun:.
That's five 100+km rides this year(actually in the last four weeks), the same number as the entire of 2014:okay:.

A picture of a nice descent, although I'm not that good at going down hills unless there dead straight, no side roads and with a newly laid tarmac(not very common:tongue:).
The problem with going downhill is you have to go up hill, off to the left is the hill I'm about to go up:training:.
C0005(1).jpg

Modern countryside view, rapeseed and windmills.
C0017(1).jpg

Now to devour some bakewell tarts washed down with a mug or two of tea:hungry:.

postman

Legendary Member
44 sunny miles.Meanwood to Askham Richard for a sarnie by the pond.Then a quick detour to Rufforth for a latte.At 36 miles the knees ached and the thighs got tight.Then everything went ok.Super day ,also rode at some good speeds.Well pleased.
unnamed.jpg

theloafer

Legendary Member
was at the Dr yesterday he gave me an other month of as vision still not 100%(slight double vision) now and then ......well today I decided to give the carbon road bike a run to Barnard Castle to see if the old legs found it easier to pedal than the tri-cross .... ^_^ they liked it a lot better :laugh: though I did miss the tri-cross comfy 28 tyre's its my fav route to barny as it is 90% very minor lanes (very peaceful) ...well it was till two jets came by at about 150 ft , meet a few cyclists doing the W2W all loaded up just after the ford (they used the bridge):laugh:
WP_20140415_002.jpg

WP_20150421_001.jpg

then on to little Newsham where the blacksmith was full of busy http://www.littlenewshamforge.com/ we have a piece of his work next to our train station .then on to Whorlton then a 3 mile detour to barny for coffee and food :hungry: bacon and egg bap

WP_20150421_003.jpg

yummy it was to ..but had no room left for cake.:sad:....back out to Whorlton and over the bridge
Whorlton bridge.jpg

after which I came across this...I did not think it had been that windy :laugh::laugh::laugh:

WP_20150421_004.jpg

on to Caldwell - Eppleby where I was going to stop for cake :whistle: as the café there dose great cake but kept on as I decided to call in at my fav ice cream shop http://newmoorfarm.archersjerseyicecream.com/ well I go right past it :rolleyes: just past Walworth Castle

WP_20150421_005.jpg

mint choc chip mmmmmmmm it hit the spot perfect ^_^ was a great day and the legs are goodish :laugh::laugh: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/752909526

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just the commute today but with the weather being :sun: I thought I'd use the Raleigh for a change. Even burdened with all the gear I carry on the commute it feels fast and comfortable compared to the other bike.

Near Betton Abbots there was a hot air balloon being deflated at the end of their trip and at Atcham I found myself ahead of time so took a detour through Attingham Park to get my fix of Georgian splendour.;)

On the way home I took the short route along the main road. With a light tail wind, 20-22 mph was a comfortable cruise most of the way to Atcham and the hills were despatched much easier than usual which all helped towards getting me home five minutes quicker than I can usually manage on a good day:dance:

19.4 miles at 15.8 mph average for the round trip. Quite happy with that.

As an aside, I've now done just under 200 miles on the Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres. I like them (especially the supple ride) but I'm not convinced they are faster than the Marathons I had on before.

DSC0002169.jpg

Must have been a nice flight this morning.

DSC0002170.jpg

One of lifes little pleasures: having the good bike with me at work and getting a waft of leather each time I walked past it to pick an order.^_^ (The Nidd on the knockabout bike doesn't give off a smell of leather :scratch:)

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
The weather was so good this evening that I decided on a cheeky ride around my usual loop after work. Even work was good today as I spent the afternoon measuring the height of Dudley castle. It isn't every day you can say that!

A strong smell of oil seed (on the ride, not at Dudley Castle) noticeable tonight but not on Sunday. A slowly softening front tyre meant cutting a couple of miles from the usual ride. Over 16mph average again. Slow for some I'm sure but not bad for me in April.

Top Bottom