Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hopefully you're back on form as well, @Chris Doyle, and all set for the Tour of the Peak tomorrow. Hope it goes well.:okay:

Cheers @Elysian_Roads, feeling probably around 95% atm. Yeah I’m all set for the peaks and my roadie is back from surgery which includes having a 30 put on the cassette giving me 1:1 ratio for the climbs but my head has won my heart and I shall be doing the medium route now as opposed to the long. It’s still a good challenge but I just feel that the long is a step too far right now with my current condition.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Cheers @Elysian_Roads, feeling probably around 95% atm. Yeah I’m all set for the peaks and my roadie is back from surgery which includes having a 30 put on the cassette giving me 1:1 ratio for the climbs but my head has won my heart and I shall be doing the medium route now as opposed to the long. It’s still a good challenge but I just feel that the long is a step too far right now with my current condition.
All the best @Chris Doyle

Elysian_Roads

Not worth overcooking it, and not enjoying the ride or risking a longer layoff. Appreciate that it wouldn't be the same as the organised event, but is the longer route one you can do on your own or in a small group later on? Hope the weather is kind to you and enjoy the ride :okay:

Old jon

Guru
Good luck with your recovery, @Old jon . I had been enjoying hearing all about your remarkable change of cycling location. Well done for getting out there and giving it a go in a completely alien environment. All the best.

Cheers @Donger there will be more from the alien environment as soon as the pain recedes. I will not tell my girlfriend the alien bit, she might just hit me!!

And to everyone else, thanks indeed for the good wishes.

Not worth overcooking it, and not enjoying the ride or risking a longer layoff. Appreciate that it wouldn't be the same as the organised event, but is the longer route one you can do on your own or in a small group later on? Hope the weather is kind to you and enjoy the ride :okay:

Thanks!

Yeah it’s no different, save for the first major climb at winnats pass which is closed road. That said, it would be very ropey riding up there when it’s open! The rest are open roads.

Did 2/3 of the long one last year but got swept up as I wasn’t fit enough!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Oh ‘eck. Rather too much enthusiasm today. I left home with the intention of riding further along the road I found on Monday. The legs were doing well, both cycle track and roads were quiet, so I just went for it. Six or seven miles along the front wheel found a patch of sand on a left hand bend, by the time I had straightened it out, about half a blink of an eyelid, both wheels were in the gutter. Like a few around here, both sides of the gutter are vertical and deep and, as I discovered, not possible to ride out of. I flew instead, the bike was close to me but we were not attached. A group of cyclists stopped, and after the language was sorted out one of them called my girlfriend, and an ambulance. Bike into car, me into hospital and in a remarkably short space of time my gravel rash was cleaned, skull tomographed and scapula, clavicle and nearby other bits X rayed. Broken collarbone, which is one of those things really.

All credit to the Brazilian emergency services, the free ambulance, and the fire brigade, are run by the military. I was taken to a public hospital, which was busy. All the staff were so very good and cheerful, helpful even. Quite a number spoke English, a good thing for me, ‘cos I have very little Portuguese. Once our lass arrived things language related were a lot easier, but there were no problems, just laughter. Oh aye, we are really too old to be girlfriend and boyfriend, but one of the staff asked where my girlfriend was. Guess it will stick. Still grinning, it is so wonderful when the nasty bits have been sorted.
Hope you recover quickly, it's so easy to get a bit carried away when your having fun.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Back to Safron Walden. 6 of us set of, but the 2 guys had to peel of at Matching green, the three girls and me carried on to the cafe in Safron Walden, managed to miss the rain on the way there, but it caught us on the way back, That really fine rain that eventually soaks you. there was going to be a pub stop halfway home, but we were to wet, all we wanted to do was get home to a hot shower. We all enjoyed the ride, though it would have been nicer if it was dry. sitting at home now with a nice hot cup of tea.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1567201724

Mike_P

Guru
Late morning ride for a change as showers were initially forecast for the afternoon. Largely reverse of a ride I did on Thursday evening which meant virtually straight away, after going the country park and coasting downhill, facing this 8% average climb for which Strava indicates includes a 29% section, although not where I would suggest it is. It is approached by a 180 degree traffic light controlled curve with a single track bridge meaning any chance of getting a run at it is exceptional in the extreme, Near the top there is a 90 degree and the camber is nicely upwards on the uphill side.
Crnwall Rd up.jpg
Crnwall Rd bend.jpg

Should have been more fun coming down it on Thursday despite the need beyond for the less steep climb that I had coasted down today, but I was frozen as temperatures had dropped significantly almost as soon as I set out. No such temperature issues today. Looped round and through Beckwithshaw
Beckwithshaw 2.jpg

Then up and down
towards norwood.jpg

to Norwood (Bland Hill) before varying the route to drop down to Swinsty Reservoir
swinsty reservoir 2.jpg

and clamber up hill past Fewston Church.
fewston church.jpg

17.18 miles 1199ft climbed 12.4mph average (Thursday 16.26 miles 990ft climbed 12.7mph avg)
1205 route.jpg

Last edited:
Six or seven miles along the front wheel found a patch of sand on a left hand bend, by the time I had straightened it out, about half a blink of an eyelid, both wheels were in the gutter. Like a few around here, both sides of the gutter are vertical and deep and, as I discovered, not possible to ride out of. I flew instead, the bike was close to me but we were not attached. A group of cyclists stopped, and after the language was sorted out one of them called my girlfriend, and an ambulance. Bike into car, me into hospital and in a remarkably short space of time my gravel rash was cleaned, skull tomographed and scapula, clavicle and nearby other bits X rayed. Broken collarbone, which is one of those things really.

Ouch! Hope you mend quickly xxx :hugs:

P.S. You're in good company when it comes to Brazilian roadside gutters. ;) Remember the olympic road races? :whistle:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Firstly, GWS @Old jon and best of luck tomorrow @Chris Doyle :okay:

Out on the Giant this morning, now shod with Gatorskins after recent event. ;)
If I'm being honest, I'd got nothing planned and no idea how long I was going to be out for, it was just out for a ride. I'd had a look at the map and a few previous routes, but nothing seemed to stick, so off I went - there and back again to see how far it is.

Unsurprisingly this led me to Coal Road, then the usual combination of roads and lanes through Shadwell and up to Slaid Hill lights, then through the dip and onto Tarn Lane to Scarcroft. At the end of Ling Lane, it was left onto the A58 and down the hill, but instead of turning right to tackle Hellwood, I stayed on the main road. Through Bardsey and into Collingham, it's mostly downhill and so I maintained a decent speed.
The wiggle on the A659 and on towards the bridge to Linton, then the ups and downs through there to Wetherby. I was thinking of turning left to climb the hill and head towards Spofforth, but there was an unfeasibly complicated set of temporary traffic lights on the roundabout, so I headed into Wetherby instead then took Crossley street past the cinema, where a ped stepped off the pavement about 10 yards short of a zebra crossing right into my path without looking - fortunately my spidey senses had suggested he wasn't paying attention so I was covering the brakes, but he had a lucky escape there. Disaster avoided, down to the roundabout and a left turn up Deighton Road heading north.
Then it was onto the B6164 and up the hill to Kirk Deigton - I've cycled down here lots of times, but this was my first time heading up the hill and it was nowhere near as bad as I'd anticipated :okay:
Through the village and gentle undulations through North Deighton, then just north of the village it was right onto Ox Close Lane, now heading due east and onto the flattest part of the days riding. Up over the A168 bridge and then shortly afterwards over the a1(M) bridge as well, before riding through Cowthorpe.
I'd decided to head south at the junction just before Tockwith, but on spotting a sign for Cattal I decided to head that way instead as I've never been there before.
On the run down to the bridge over the River Nidd I was passed by a small group of cyclists and we had a quick chat.
Into Cattal (one horse town, and it's a small horse at that), I retraced my route back to the crossroads, now heading south past the business park and Tockwith airfield and on some near perfect rolling country roads, with hardly any traffic and the sun shining down on me.
Across the cross roads with the York Road at Bickerton (sadly the butty van was closed) and on towards Walton, with the road still rolling, but gently dropping.
At the last minute I turned onto Hall Park Road (unsuitable for heavy vehicles, so I'd better not ride up here on the hybrid!) and more rolling countryside to Walton, then a hundred yards along Wetherby Road and left again past the YOI and prison and down towards Thorp Arch, stopping by All Saints Church for a Snickers and a photo:
IMG_20180512_100919820.jpg
IMG_20180512_101049294_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and down into the village, then down again over the bridge and up the other side into Boston Spa, with a wiggle along Main Street then out towards Clifford, up past the chippy (fryers on, not open yet) and up to the top of the hill then the drop down into Bramham.
from there everywhere is up, so the hill towards the A1(M) bridge, spotting a couple on a tandem heading up onto NCN R66 towards Wetherby at a good rate of knots (hopefully they knew about the stony bridleway section that waited ahead for them!)
Over the bridge and the steady climb past Bramham Park, then onto Thorner Road, through the dip where I was passed by a small but friendly group as we climbed up the other side and on to Milner Lane for the run along the ridge to Thorner, stopping about half way along for a couple more pics:
IMG_20180512_105054523_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180512_105155327.jpg

Off again and down the hill into Thorner, then onto Carr Lane for the up, down and more up to the A58, a quick scoot along there and up on Coal Road, before local roads to home with a loop around the block to round the mileage up.

38.25 miles (61.55km) in 2h 46m at an average of 14.0mph with 1,594ft climbed.

I really enjoyed that - I've ridden all these roads before at one point or another, but never in this order and it's definitely a loop I'll do again plus it's another point for the Half Century Challenge.
Near perfect cycling weather and the only headwinds I encountered were light(ish) and on the outward section, so that's a bonus.
And one pedestrian apart all the other roads users I encountered were playing the game today so that made it a stress free ride.
In fact the only fly in the ointment was the sheer number of flies xx( - always a hazard at this time of year but the sheer number in places today, especially greenfly, had to be seen to be believed - a couple of times I had to pull my buff over my mouth and nose so I wasn't breathing them in!

And to end, the map:
12052018.JPG

Top Bottom