Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
7 of us out today at Newland. We had a guest appearance from Mark L who hasn't been present for a while. Steve E, Jules H, John G, Margaret PR and me plus Rich B who also hasn't been out much. Rich didn't fancy the Mayfly which is our usual watering hole when riding this direction. That had brought up the idea of Witley Court which most didn't know about. I hadn't been there for many a long year so was fairly keen to revisit. They all look at me for Nav duties so I had to behave myself and take a sensible route for all abilities. No worries as we took well used lanes to mini Ankerdine (the easy hill parallel to the toughie). Soon we were at Martley where most were about to enter new territory. I hadn't ridden Martley Hillside for many years. The views out over the Worcestershire flatlands to the East were excellent today. We took to the rough track which leads to Witley Court and Church. The cafe I remember has been revamped and is now operating on a proper regular basis instead of the ad hoc arrangements of years ago. Having refreshed ourselves we visited the Church in all its baroque glory. Unique for a parish church I think. https://www.greatwitleychurch.org.uk/ The newbies were highly impressed. We completed the rough road to the main road to turn back into the lanes at Little Witley where John peeled off for home. Ockeridge signalled the return to known roads for most but I managed to sneak a loop in by Moseley for Wichenford. From there it was a fairly standard run back but we stopped at The Fox at Bransford Bridge for a well earned pint of ale. Steve and Mark then headed back by Leigh Sinton while we 4 turned to 3 at the Polish Pilot's memorial. It had been a lovely ride for us all. Something different from our usual Saturday rides. Steve thinks we may well do that one again. 45 smiles

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
DSCN2013.JPG
Woo Hooooooo I got a second pass out this evening so off I went on my fixie ! Headed down my usual haunt of Route 55 and then down the canal to the swing bridge at Barton before heading to the airfield of the same name. After a short mooch I rode down the very good cycle path along the A57 to Irlam Locks where there was a ship moored and I was able to cross the lock gates ( which are not much wider than the bike handlebars ) After the ship spotting I rode across Astley Moss and home.another 22 miles done in the lovely cool evening air.Sorry for photo overload
DSCN1991.JPG
DSCN1994.JPG
DSCN1995Sepia.jpg
DSCN1996Sepia.jpg
DSCN2001.JPG
DSCN2007.JPG
DSCN2008.JPG

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
With the recent forced spoke replacement and wheel truing episode behind me and the wheel still true, last night I did the normal loop. 25 miles at a shade under (this year's) record pace. Thing is, I had to reset the G armin and I forgot to set Auto stop to 'on' so the thing didn't stop when I made a short phone call home.
I then went and swam 1000m plus the weekly challenge of a whole length underwater.

Not content with that, I did another 25 miles today and felt slow but actually went quite well. I slowed in the last couple of miles to chat to a chap with a very nice Brian Rourke. Exposed brake cables and a wheel with a block rather than a cassette told me this was an old bike but it looked in very good condition.

Tomorrow, I am riding to Wheaton Aston along the canal with my daughter. It will be at a more relaxed pace so hopefully I'll actually manage to take some photos.

13 rider

Guru
After yesterdays imperial ton this morning target was to bank a 50km ride for that challenge .Bit of a lie in but out the door at 0930 . Anstey ,Rothley ,Cossington and headed up the wreake valley . Between the villages of Thrussington and Hoby I spot 2 tandems heading towards me a rare sight 1 off them is very orange as we pass I instantly recognise the stoker . A quick 180 turn and I'm soon alongside @Dave 123 and Mrs Dave. To put this meeting in context Dave hails from Cambridge some 70 miles away but was visiting his Brother in law in Keyworth about 20 miles away from me and we end up on the same bit of road . A quick minute chatting about where there heading etc and I do another 180 and continue my ride .Asfordby cross A607 to the more rolling terrain around Gaddesby .Back over the A607 and retrace my steps back Rothley paused at the bridge overlooking the Cafe at the old station and I spot @Dave123 just remounting how about that for timing so I waited on the drive to see where they were heading . Did another mile with them chatting away before I headed home via Swithland Cropston and home 38.9 miles in the bag and a really enjoyable chance meeting with a fellow ccer . Realty nice to meet to you @Dave 123 :hello: and of course Mrs Dave and your relatives

13 rider

Guru
Yesterdays ride now first chance this month so time for an imperial ton for the challenge . I had plotted a route from Market Bosworth hoping that some of the north Leicestershire/south Derbyshire crew could join me but everyone had committments. So that left just me and @Supersuperleeds . Out the door at 5.50 for a nice relaxed 12 miles to the meeting point 1.5 miles in a look down at the bike and notice no water bottles :surrender: there in the fridge .About turn up the hill to home grab the bottles .The rules of the imperial challenge states you should not return home . So I restart the ride now needing another 3 miles . Had to now press on a bit to make the meeting point on time . Just as I'm approaching the meeting point I spot @Supersuperleeds coming in from the other direction .A quick chat and were off . The route was designed a veloviewer square grad so a bit of looping about . Through the Leicestershire countryside to Tamworth where we went around the back of the town . It got a bit climby around Hopwas as we headed for the TV mast . Then some lovely quiet lanes but as the square grab continued we did a bit of climbing to then descend the hill via a different road then back up the same ridge . Cafe stop as Astley was a welcome break :hungry: after a nice relaxed break it's back on the bike . Back on familiar roads to Market Bosworth where an Ice cream stop was called for . Headed back to Anstey where me and @Supersuperleeds parted company as he headed home to complete yet another 200km ride :thumbsup:. Home with 106 miles so claimed 103 miles in the imperial challenge which was accepted so all good and another ticked off. Great ride on some lovely new roads 36 more veloviewer squares all in great company which makes the distances so much easier

Got out with the better half for a pootle to Wicken fen that ended up with a ride to Cambridge:wacko:.

Out early before it got to hot and finished with a coffee with toast and marmalade at Hot Numbers cafe in Gwyder St.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1750795595

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

No pics of coffee and toast,scoffed to quick and phone battery was low:whistle:.

Val also found this sadle damaged bottle in a skip;

Woods2.jpg

Woods1.jpg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Went out on the club ride this morning. Probably shouldn't have. Two or three different ailments, combined with uncomfortable heat meant I was always going to struggle. Most of the others set off at a faster than usual pace ... apparently more interested in average moving speed than anything else. I missed the first, smaller, hill of the day so as not to hold anyone up, but I got caught by most of them before the top of the big climb from Brockworth to Cranham anyway. By this time I was really regretting going out for a ride at all. I opted to miss the coffee stop at the Rococo Garden and head straight home via Painswick, Stroud and Standish. Another 37.6 miles done, but the last 20 were really uncomfortable. The first ride this year that I haven't enjoyed. Oh, well. I'll just have to get back out there in midweek and hope it goes better. I have a ride planned with a couple of friends starting somewhere different, so that should be just the tonic.
Cheers, Donger.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
There I was rolling through the East Mids countryside when a face I recognised came by. The next second @13 rider was along side us. It’s great to bump in to fellow CCers.
We stopped at Rothley for a bit of cake and steam trains, then a second helping of 13rider, who we rode with for a few minutes.
Back to my brothers house, nearly 46 miles
DBC33FA3-3234-411B-9FAC-DE4B16100E72.jpeg
5EC94E2B-8C6D-4694-8ACD-12E5C9B2049C.jpeg
251EE84D-1A7E-41EC-82A4-A91BB32E4E61.jpeg
83F919C0-B4B4-4AE1-A768-5F88A4A21A01.jpeg
A7943193-0A0B-4FE4-B74C-EE51E4737B07.jpeg
E31A30E6-70F9-4C02-87F5-8E3D1EF9F73F.jpeg
1E8341CC-1814-423F-9C35-4B513590607D.jpeg
2BCF2B41-17FD-4344-8177-6174908B094D.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/1751434349

Elysian_Roads

I plotted a route with some new lanes beyond Church Fenton out towards Selby during the week, so obviously this morning I did a Wharfe Valley loop out to Otley and back via Wetherby - and if you don't know the area, that's pretty much completely the opposite direction.

Reading @NorthernDave's recent posting about direction made me realise how I always go anti-clockwise on a particular route, so decided today to buck that trend on my metric century ride.

It was interesting to do it. With the different perspective, you see things you may have missed before. You also realise how some routes can be done on autopilot, so reversing then, and coming at landmarks from a different angle, makes you have to think a little bit more.

A good day, ending a good weeks cycling. The qualifying rides for both the metric century, and half century in the bag, plus a couple of extra half century rides undertaken (including an Imperial). Plus I finally got to the Barn cafe at Turville Heath. Very bike friendly, once you climb up there, and actually ran into a couple of friends I have seen in years.

Happy cycling all.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yesterdays ride now first chance this month so time for an imperial ton for the challenge . I had plotted a route from Market Bosworth hoping that some of the north Leicestershire/south Derbyshire crew could join me but everyone had committments. So that left just me and @Supersuperleeds . Out the door at 5.50 for a nice relaxed 12 miles to the meeting point 1.5 miles in a look down at the bike and notice no water bottles :surrender: there in the fridge .About turn up the hill to home grab the bottles .The rules of the imperial challenge states you should not return home . So I restart the ride now needing another 3 miles . Had to now press on a bit to make the meeting point on time . Just as I'm approaching the meeting point I spot @Supersuperleeds coming in from the other direction .A quick chat and were off . The route was designed a veloviewer square grad so a bit of looping about . Through the Leicestershire countryside to Tamworth where we went around the back of the town . It got a bit climby around Hopwas as we headed for the TV mast . Then some lovely quiet lanes but as the square grab continued we did a bit of climbing to then descend the hill via a different road then back up the same ridge . Cafe stop as Astley was a welcome break :hungry: after a nice relaxed break it's back on the bike . Back on familiar roads to Market Bosworth where an Ice cream stop was called for . Headed back to Anstey where me and @Supersuperleeds parted company as he headed home to complete yet another 200km ride :thumbsup:. Home with 106 miles so claimed 103 miles in the imperial challenge which was accepted so all good and another ticked off. Great ride on some lovely new roads 36 more veloviewer squares all in great company which makes the distances so much easier

Can't believe you didn't mention the driver who called you a dozy daffodil, only for his passenger to give him a right bollocking :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a quiet few days on the bike it was time to get the imperial century challenge ride in. An early start as usual, out the house before 0530hrs and I needed arm warmers, it was only 12 degrees C, felt positively chilly:cold: Familiar territory out to Windsor Great Park, hoping the Bishopsgate entrance would be open this early. It was, and the park was eerily quiet with a morning mist making it feel even more chilly
5 August 2018 Misty WGP.jpg

Out the other side of the park and on towards Wokingham, new territory for me as I was on square hunt:smile: A rather undulating route with some very nice roads, and some which weren't even roads. RwGPS sent me through the Gorrick Plantation just East of Finchhampstead, all very nice but perhaps a CX would be better suited
5 August 2018 In The Forest.jpg

By 0930hrs I was getting just about at 60 miles, nearing Yately and happened across a Greggs (I may have looked this up last night...). Now whilst I don't agree that their bacon rolls are the best, it certainly went down well with a coffee very well for a couple of quid:mrpig::mrpig:
Back home via a slightly busy Farnborough, I guess people had woken up and wanted to go shopping. Quite a few people out on bikes today, nice to see lots of youngsters out around WGP on the way home.
104 miles in the bag, and by the time I got home at 1230 it was 29 degrees C:sun::sun:

Top Bottom