Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
This is from yesterday as I had no time to write it then, it turned into a much longer day that I expected. I did a recent thread asking for routes to around Aylesham, and got some top route advice from @ianrauk, @Bluehills and [USER=23023]@Dogtrousers. Ian’s route looked great for the way out, and @bluehills route for the return along the estuary. According to the BBC if I was going to cycle there it was going to be 80 miles into a 17mph headwind. I didn’t fancy that much. If I was only going one way I preferred going through the North Downs as its greener and all new territory for me, but Ian’s route in reverse had a mahoosive long climb that made it less appealing.

I decided to get the train to Canterbury and cycle from there, so I cobbled together an alternative the night before, with about 100 miles back to London. I don’t own a sat nav, so I had my low-tech hand written directions on pocket sized bits of cardboard. The weather forecast had a real last day of summer feel to it, and Thursday is my day off, so off to Kent I went. To get the bike on the train I had to leave off-peak so didn’t actually arrive in Canterbury until nearly midday, which on reflection was too late for such a long ride in October!

The reason for this particular ride was to see a tree, yes just a single tree. Not just any old tree, this tree has a name, Majesty. It definitely sounds impressive, If it was called Colin I doubt it would get as many visitors. Majesty is an ancient Pendunculate Oak (Quercus Robur).

Different species or trees are described as ancient at different times. Yews are the real oldies and are not considered ancient until they get to 1000 years old. A birch tree would be considered ancient at 150 years, and an oak is considered ancient at 400 yeas old. Oaks tend to hollow out around 500 years old, and as such dating the trees by drilling a section and counting rings is impossible so estimates on this ones age vary.

If Majesty is as expected the tree referred to in 1554 as the ‘King Fredville Oak’, already an impressive tree at the time, then its a least 500-600 years old. Local folklore says the tree is 1000 years old, so somewhere between the two is a safe bet. It may not have been as big as it once, having lost some big branches over the years, one alone weighed 3 tons, but it is undeniably old.

We are blessed with an abundance of ancient oaks in this country compared to Europe. Oak is held in high regard by many cultures in Europe, for centuries in the England its been a symbol of strength and survival, and looked upon with reverence. This has surely contributed to why we have so many survivors to this day.

This following link gives more details: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...england-uk-tree-register-survey-a7610246.html
To summarise, and the numbers are startling, continental Europe has an estimated 2000 ancient (over 400 years old) oaks, of which 1260 are in Sweden, 300 in Romania, Germany has only 120, but does have biggest oak in Europe, in Ivenack, again thought locally to be about 1000 years old, see here:
https://www.hideawayreport.com/articles/view/1000-year-old-oaks-ivenack-germany/
I don’t know the figures for Wales and Scotland but England alone has more ancient oaks than the rest of Europe put together! And not narrowly more, comprehensively more, an estimated 3400.

Back to the trip and despite my train hatred the journey was fine, and I had a nice chat with some other cyclists heading to Kent to cycle about in the sunshine. I got out of the station and misread my directions immediately, and headed off the roundabout at the wrong exit, luckily not getting too far before realising my error, not the best start. At the 4 mile mark I made another wrong turn and headed for 2 miles in the wrong direction before doubling back, this would be a long day at this rate.

Majesty is located in Fredville Park, about 15 miles south east of Canterbury. I had an approx location from the ‘monumental trees’ website. When I got there I had to walk through a field with a big scary bull, keeping close to the fence and prepared to run and jump over it at a moments notice. Luckily the bull was too busy eating to be bothered by me. After dodging cow pats for a few hundred metres I couldn’t see the tree, I realised the bit of wood it was in was fenced off with the big country house, and had signs saying no public access. This tree looked like it was trying to escape the horrors within the enclosure, who knows what perils lurk there, so I decided against trespassing.
View attachment 433712
Hmmm, arse. I didn't come all this way on this last minute, badly planned adventure to be thwarted so soon. I’m a cheeky but charming sod, so I decided to go up the main house and ask if they would kindly let me into their private garden, with my bike so I can take some photos of a tree. I mean what’s the worst that could happen….I had an idea, I crossed the cattle grid on foot fearing the unleashing of an army of hounds, following by gunshots being fired overhead and being run out of 'town'. Instead I got an excitable elderly old terrier, followed shortly by the lady of the house, who despite initial puzzlement kindly agreed to my request, and walked me and bike through to the exact location and left me to take photos, what a complete star! Lots of Americans visit apparently.

While this oak tree is not the tallest, what this has more than any other oak I’ve ever seen is girth, in fact it is the UK champion oak for girth, even trumping the great German oak. A trees girth is normally measured 1.5 metres about the ground, and on the last official measuring in the Tree Register records in 2007, the recorded girth was 1216cm, that just under 40 feet in circumference!

I found it pretty awe inspiring, it looked especially magical in the autumn sun. Here it is with a bicycle to give you some idea of scale.
View attachment 433713
View attachment 433714
View attachment 433715
These two huge branches have fallen off, but are tree size in their own right.
View attachment 433716
View attachment 433717
It had some sizeable fungus, cupping one of the first fallen leaves of autumn
View attachment 433718
Evidence of the hollowing
View attachment 433719
View attachment 433720
Its nearly 2pm by the time I set off. I do have lights, but they are not great so I realise I’ve got to get a move on. I cross back over the A2 and into the North Downs, and pretty much straight from the kick-off its onto the climbs, with a nearly 2 mile one to start with. It dawns on me that my notes have lots of references to such and such a hill.

Somewhere on these initial climbs I somehow lost one of my current direction card, argghh. I have to use my phone to google to get to directions to the first road name on my next card. This means stopping and checking phone on nearly every junction, and that section took ages and put me even further behind. The route was hilly, more so than I expected, but despite my navigational woes my route was so quiet. I hardly saw any cars and after many months of riding around in London it was so nice to be out getting lost in the lanes.
View attachment 433721
I knew some of the sections of the Pilgrims Way I was taking would be a gamble for a road bike, and so it turned out to be. Some bits are OK, this bit was lovely
View attachment 433722
But others bits not so much. There were some really sharp rocky sections that I'm amazed I didn't get a puncture or fall off. I was using my old MTB skills to keep me upright, but apologising to my bike the whole time. After a particularly muddy section I had to stop to use a stick to free the mud build up around the brakes, wasting more time.

I saw a strange carving on the way.
View attachment 433723
The whole section in the middle was so quiet, not only did I hardly see any cars, I also noted I'd not seen any shops, plenty of little villages, but no shops in any of them. It was a warm day and I’d nearly finished the 2 full bottles of water I had with me, and was getting close to just stopping and knocking on someone’s door and begging for water. It just added to the feeling of being in the wilderness, and I don’t think I’ve ever been so pleased to see a garage as I was the Shell one as I crossed the A229 at the 60 mile mark.

Soon after its starting to get dark, and I realise that an upcoming section of bridleway I had scheduled was going to too sketchy and slow, so after a quick impromptu phone check I opt for a road alternative to try and keep my speed up in my race against the dark. And it got proper dark, no moon, no stars, pitch black on the unlit lanes. Reading my directions was hard work, and the throw on my light is not very good so all descents I had to go slow for fear of crashing into a pot hole at speed. I love bombing fast down hills, I hate going down them slowly, after struggling up a hill it feels like a wasted opportunity, and the levels of total concentration on road scanning was exhausting.

I can’t see the road beyond the 6 feet or so of light beam, and all of sudden this road seems to be going up a bit, ouch….I’m sure @Dogtrousers said it wasn’t that hilly round here:whistle:. I’ve done rides before in the dark where I think its been a blessing I’ve not been able to see the top of a climb, but one thing I don’t like about night riding is when its so dark I can’t see what gear I'm in. My smallest gear was 39-25, which was not enough, and I was crushed by the feeling of pushing the lever for another gear, only to find there are no more gears *sob*. I try a section out of saddle, will this ever end, WTF!...I make it to just short of a bridge and have to dismount before I topple over while stationary. I had to walk a 100 metres or so to the top. I didn’t know what that hill was until today when I looked it up, its Vigo Hill and it is an utter pig of a climb, and though short it has a 1.5 mile climb peaking at 9% of Addington Lane and Taylors Lane immediately before it. And the gradient just gets worse as the climb goes on, the top of Vigo is more like 20%, which is beyond me and my gearing in day or night, so a walk of shame ensued, not that anyone could see it, not even me.

And then it started raining, really quite hard. Great. I’m in shorts, short sleeves and no jacket or any others clothes, Shackleton was better equipped than me. Cardboard directions are slowly disintegrating before my eyes like a Mission Impossible self destructing message. Despite all this I don’t feel like quitting, I know if I can just get to Starhill Rd just inside the M25, I know the way from there, directions won’t be needed. And once I get to Hawley Corner on the A223 I know it has street lighting all the way home. I get there with a palpable sense of relief, and now I can properly see where I’m going I can hammer it back to town. I think I did one of my fastest runs back into town that way averaging over 19mph for the last 20 miles of the trip, not bad after a long day in the saddle, so despite the earlier water shortage I got the fuelling right.

I got back home looking properly weather beaten at 10pm. Phone battery nearly dead, lights faded after 3 hours of cycling in darkness, and knackered after what turned out to be a bit of an ordeal. But as I recall riders of the Paris Roubaix saying, when riders retire its the hard rides and races they they looked back on with the most fondness, trails against adversity seem more of an achievement, and even if the planning was a bit lacking, its character building innit. A hard but great day, 109 miles and 7000ft of climbing was more than I expected. The route, wrong turns included. View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/28637641

And I learnt an ancient oak tree in Kent has a much better grasp of the passing of time than me.[/USER]
That’s an amazing tree!

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks and good fungus info @Dogtrousers, I like that photo, it looks like a big hand holding the oak leaf.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A short ride out to Levington. And a pic to show I am still a kid at heart ...

photo.JPG

TigerT

Veteran
My ride yesterday.....

I had some time due to me at work and the weather forecast was again good. Can’t believe it’s still warm enough for short bibs mid October!

Decided that having put in a lot of km’s in the last month, I’d take it easy. I wanted to take the road bike out but decided on the gravel route to Baden. I figured if I was taking it easy, it would be ok..... wrong! Far to bumpy, my eyeballs still feel shaken.

Still despite a bit of mist at the start, and a slightly confusing diversion which I mostly ignored, it was a nice ride out.

Stopped in a cafe for a Coffee and a muffin and tried to work out a route that did all the nice road parts of the gravel route and avoiding the long stretch of gravel in the middle.

Plan in mind, I set out on the way home. Much better route. Avoided most of the busy roads and had only a couple of gravelly bits.

Decided on a small extension. Instead of heading directly home I headed up the hill and over to the airport adding about 10km’s. No reason, just never done it before and wanted to see the view!

Finally got home just before it started to get dark. Very nice 60km’s. Can’t think of a better way to spend a day off!

2BB3A1AD-25F6-4D72-8D68-67FA36B05160.jpeg
Headed out through the fields
2E1FEB5E-3BE0-4FA7-895E-A59C9D61300A.jpeg
Bit blurry and doesn’t doesn’t do the view justice, but the ride up the hill was worth it!
9F44CC83-0B4F-4CDE-AEF9-682A2126D045.jpeg
Taking a rest in the woods

Last edited:
Who can honestly summon the energy to write about a ride the day afterwards?
I saw a weather window on Wednesday, and sensing the last day of summer I decided to go to the best island in the world. Arran!

"Ed," thought I, "you are a famous misser of trains and this may literally be the last chance to do a fair weather lap of Arran for at least six months, so leave early for this one."
Got to the station with 8 minutes. Result!
Big queue for tickets. Panicked tutting and looking pointedly at the departure board but in the end I caught the train with 40 seconds to spare.

Rolling off the ferry into a gloriously sunny Brodick afternoon, I wasn't sure what to expect from the day, due to bad form on the bike for a couple of years now, and repeatedly picking up injuries, I am not half the rider I was the last time I was there (ironic, as there's a lot more of me now).
20000105_053427.jpg

As anyone who has ever cycled clockwise on Arran knows, the first thing you encounter is a sharp pitch up the moment you leave the ferry terminal, but today was about survival rather than big efforts, I ditched my usual riding style of climbing out of the saddle and mashing the biggest gear I can manage, and instead selected my lowest gear, focused on my breathing and cadence and spun up it, glancing at my heart rate monitor to ensure I didn't go too deep into the red and before I knew it I was on the stunning descent into Lamlash, a pattern that was to repeat for the punchy South End part of the island through Whiting Bay and up past Kildonan.
20000105_063047.jpg

It felt like a warm summer's day when I was on the open road, the true season was made obvious every time the road went into a dell or a forest, with wet roads and leaf mulch everywhere, which made the descent into Lagg quite hairy, but I got down safely and even got up the short steep ramp back out without getting off to push :hyper:

One day I will take photos of the stunning cliff-top road towards Blackwaterfoot but I usually enjoy it too much to stop. :biggrin:

Blackwaterfoot came and went and with it the notion of taking the shortcut back to the ferry terminal over the String Road. I was committed to doing a full lap.

Despite being almost 15 minutes up on my PB for the island lap (I guess that's an endorsement for the "spin to win" philosophy), and knowing that I had a few hours to reach the last ferry, I was also aware that time has a habit of getting away from you on Arran and that crucially I was starting to fade. A quick stop to snack and refill my bottle in view of Machrie Moor and I was off again.
20000105_073845.jpg

What used to be one of my favourite stretches, the coast road is pan-flat for 5 miles from Machrie (I had a Strava KOM here once upon a time before all the racing snakes ruined it) but the once time-trial-worthy tarmac was rutted and broken and I'm not going to be setting any PBs along here any time soon.

As is always the way on my rides, the suffering began as I crested the punchy hill at Imachar and as I turned into the very scenic Catacol Bay I was hit with a wall of wind, and the pattern for the rest of the ride was set.

Stopped by the 13th century Lochranza Castle for stretches, photos and rest as I knew what was coming next.
20000105_090017.jpg 20000105_090010.jpg

My nemesis, the dread Boguillie. A fantastic climb. Not a world-beater by any stretch of the imagination but very picturesque and more than capable of providing serious challenge to the unwary. Strava classes it as a Cat 3 climb and I'd normally agree with that sentiment - 200m of elevation gain and with its steepest ramps pushing 12%, but when the wind is in a certain direction the topography draws wind in and the whole valley acts as a massive chimney.

Quietly muttering "nothing left in the tank" to myself as I crawled feebly up it, buffeted by winds that alternated between almost stopping me dead and blowing me over, I eventually got to the top and was rewarded with the last rays of sunshine striking the hilltops, bringing the autumn peat to life in a way that no photo can hope to do justice to.
20000105_094455.jpg 20000105_094446.jpg 20000105_094451.jpg
(Infuriatingly, the view back down the valley towards Lochranza is the best and therefore the photo is also the worst).

A relatively slow descent (I understand that certain CycleChat velocouchistes have exceeded 55mph there) and dead-slow TT later, made it back to Brodick just in time to see the ferry arrive.
20000105_104204.jpg
Time: Total: 5:00:03, Moving: 4:23:56. Distance: 56.3 miles. A smidgeon over 3,000 feet of climbing. (Lost 55 minutes to my PB on the second half)
So pleased I did it - had a blast!

When are we going back, CC Ecosse?!!!:wahhey:

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Who can honestly summon the energy to write about a ride the day afterwards?
I saw a weather window on Wednesday, and sensing the last day of summer I decided to go to the best island in the world. Arran!

"Ed," thought I, "you are a famous misser of trains and this may literally be the last chance to do a fair weather lap of Arran for at least six months, so leave early for this one."
Got to the station with 8 minutes. Result!
Big queue for tickets. Panicked tutting and looking pointedly at the departure board but in the end I caught the train with 40 seconds to spare.

Rolling off the ferry into a gloriously sunny Brodick afternoon, I wasn't sure what to expect from the day, due to bad form on the bike for a couple of years now, and repeatedly picking up injuries, I am not half the rider I was the last time I was there (ironic, as there's a lot more of me now).
View attachment 433817

As anyone who has ever cycled clockwise on Arran knows, the first thing you encounter is a sharp pitch up the moment you leave the ferry terminal, but today was about survival rather than big efforts, I ditched my usual riding style of climbing out of the saddle and mashing the biggest gear I can manage, and instead selected my lowest gear, focused on my breathing and cadence and spun up it, glancing at my heart rate monitor to ensure I didn't go too deep into the red and before I knew it I was on the stunning descent into Lamlash, a pattern that was to repeat for the punchy South End part of the island through Whiting Bay and up past Kildonan.
View attachment 433818

It felt like a warm summer's day when I was on the open road, the true season was made obvious every time the road went into a dell or a forest, with wet roads and leaf mulch everywhere, which made the descent into Lagg quite hairy, but I got down safely and even got up the short steep ramp back out without getting off to push :hyper:

One day I will take photos of the stunning cliff-top road towards Blackwaterfoot but I usually enjoy it too much to stop. :biggrin:

Blackwaterfoot came and went and with it the notion of taking the shortcut back to the ferry terminal over the String Road. I was committed to doing a full lap.

Despite being almost 15 minutes up on my PB for the island lap (I guess that's an endorsement for the "spin to win" philosophy), and knowing that I had a few hours to reach the last ferry, I was also aware that time has a habit of getting away from you on Arran and that crucially I was starting to fade. A quick stop to snack and refill my bottle in view of Machrie Moor and I was off again.
View attachment 433833

What used to be one of my favourite stretches, the coast road is pan-flat for 5 miles from Machrie (I had a Strava KOM here once upon a time before all the racing snakes ruined it) but the once time-trial-worthy tarmac was rutted and broken and I'm not going to be setting any PBs along here any time soon.

As is always the way on my rides, the suffering began as I crested the punchy hill at Imachar and as I turned into the very scenic Catacol Bay I was hit with a wall of wind, and the pattern for the rest of the ride was set.

Stopped by the 13th century Lochranza Castle for stretches, photos and rest as I knew what was coming next.
View attachment 433834 View attachment 433835

My nemesis, the dread Boguillie. A fantastic climb. Not a world-beater by any stretch of the imagination but very picturesque and more than capable of providing serious challenge to the unwary. Strava classes it as a Cat 3 climb and I'd normally agree with that sentiment - 200m of elevation gain and with its steepest ramps pushing 12%, but when the wind is in a certain direction the topography draws wind in and the whole valley acts as a massive chimney.

Quietly muttering "nothing left in the tank" to myself as I crawled feebly up it, buffeted by winds that alternated between almost stopping me dead and blowing me over, I eventually got to the top and was rewarded with the last rays of sunshine striking the hilltops, bringing the autumn peat to life in a way that no photo can hope to do justice to.
View attachment 433837 View attachment 433838 View attachment 433839
(Infuriatingly, the view back down the valley towards Lochranza is the best and therefore the photo is also the worst).

A relatively slow descent (I understand that certain CycleChat velocouchistes have exceeded 55mph there) and dead-slow TT later, made it back to Brodick just in time to see the ferry arrive.
View attachment 433841
Time: Total: 5:00:03, Moving: 4:23:56. Distance: 56.3 miles. A smidgeon over 3,000 feet of climbing. (Lost 55 minutes to my PB on the second half)
So pleased I did it - had a blast!

When are we going back, CC Ecosse?!!!:wahhey:
Arran really is the best day out on a bike you will ever find, anywhere.

Missed out on doing it this year but my riding mate has me down to do the figure of 8 with him next year.
Doesn't add a lot of miles, but it puts in a lot more climbing.

Can't wait to go back.

Arran really is the best day out on a bike you will ever find, anywhere.

Missed out on doing it this year but my riding mate has me down to do the figure of 8 with him next year.
Doesn't add a lot of miles, but it puts in a lot more climbing.

Can't wait to go back.
It's a brilliant island, no matter which way you go. Figure of 8 is special, coastal lap is special, the Ross road is incredible (and many people don't even know it exists!)

13 rider

Guru
Woke this morning to a blustery wind with slight sniffle feeling completely unmotivated but I am on a run off over 200 days riding didn't want to end it so needing to get out and do 10 miles for it to count according to my unofficial rules . So waited till after dinner and rolled out . Headed out for the hills around Markfield to try and hide from the wind .Up Pollybotts carried on climbing up to Copt Oak then looped back on myself by doing Priory lane . Decided to do some workout up the steep bit ground my way up in the big ring (53 /21) :training: grovelled over the top at 6mph :surrender: won't be doing that again soon . Quick downhill then the second climb of priory lane just spun up this one .Woodhouse eaves ,Swithland ,Cropston . Here I decided to head to Rothley to use the wind to smash a Strava segment :secret:. On to millionaire row an aptly named segment a dead end road near Rothley station full of mansions . Full on effort for 1 min 8 sec for 2nd overall still 3 secs behind the Kom :surrender:. Headed home via Cropston while climbing from the island in the village I realised the wind would be a tailwind on a local segment which I was Kom on until this week when someone beat me so it would be rude not to try . Flew up the climb in 47 secs a 10 sec pr and 5 secs faster than anyone else :becool: the wind does have its uses . Nice 20 miles in ridiculously warm condition Tomorrows ride looks :rain:off to fit mudguards

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was intending to go out on my road bike today, but as I was about to get ready it started raining, it rained for a good hour.

I decided to go out on my mountain bike.

The wind had dried the rain out nicely. Past the edge of Hardwick wood and I saw a black squirrel . Then on to the road down to Caldecott
52CB6AB6-B56D-4F09-A9DB-AD559CA37F72.jpeg

The colours were rich in the sunlight today.
Up the track to the Red House, the leaves carpeting the floor
98A6A6A0-79A5-48CE-B853-E6A2CAB7A915.jpeg

The hedges were full of fruit and colour
B6DE66CB-CDE9-427F-A688-DDFB19FE91EE.jpeg

On to Hayley wood, then my first stint heading south, it were blowy! When I met the road I stopped for a bite to eat. Across the road there were Beef Shorthorn cattle
4B013702-D2AB-4C97-8FDA-E94C9A427B5F.jpeg

Through Arrington and Croydon and into Wimpole, not been here for ages!
0AED5F38-09E7-40B1-AA98-286C5F51D720.jpeg

A23C2E03-7A4B-47F2-99B1-CF871D34CFDD.jpeg

9998E35E-329A-49A7-A161-60276AED094E.jpeg

Up onto the ridge, then down to Eversden. I had to slow up for a family who’s young girl was slightly astray, so I missed the best time on Strava by one second. I’ll get it one day...
Back up to the ridge via the Mares Way then down to Eversden, then back up to the ridge via the Mares Way and through to Kingston via the Wimpole Way
7CA72B06-85E6-4F2A-B0D2-5198C17EEEC3.jpeg

0380C124-D758-436C-BD20-F5594C0C3DAE.jpeg

DA871F52-0F90-4956-8CC0-CFE9960D23DA.jpeg

I decided to take the road home, it was great, a tailwind took me back!

31 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1901958301

13 rider

Guru
So today I had arranged a forum ride which should have seen 7 of us out riding . People began to drop out due to various valid reason family issues health etc .Then the weather turned for the worse then this morning @Chris Doyle bailed as her been called out by work at silly o clock then @Supersuperleeds decided he'd didn't want to get wet for hours can't say I blame him .So that left me and @Lilliburlero . While looking at the rain falling I was half hoping he'd bailed as well . No message so I decided to ride to the start point some 12 miles away as I rolled in @Lilliburlero was there fixing a puncture ,good start . Quick chat hoping he wanted to cut it short but he was out to do another imperial ton :surrender:having already done 47 miles . What the heck Im out anyway so we do the planned route . Market Bosworth ,Upton ,Atterton ,Witherley ,Warton ,Wilson ,Dadlington and back to Market Bosworth some 31 miles . Discovered some new lanes which on another day would have been lovely .Not the most chatty ride just a case of getting round . In Market Bosworth we parted company @Lilliburlero headed home needing 25 miles for his ton .I needed another 18 miles to do 200 mile week. So an 12 mile trip home needed extending a bit so a few loops in various villages on the way home . Nearing home I decided to add the extra 4 miles to complete a metric ton .Loops around the village and riding past home for half a mile got the required distance . 62.3 miles done in pretty grim condition got home soaked can't say I enjoyed it but it got done

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
So today I had arranged a forum ride which should have seen 7 of us out riding . People began to drop out due to various valid reason family issues health etc .Then the weather turned for the worse then this morning @Chris Doyle bailed as her been called out by work at silly o clock then @Supersuperleeds decided he'd didn't want to get wet for hours can't say I blame him .So that left me and @Lilliburlero . While looking at the rain falling I was half hoping he'd bailed as well . No message so I decided to ride to the start point some 12 miles away as I rolled in @Lilliburlero was there fixing a puncture ,good start . Quick chat hoping he wanted to cut it short but he was out to do another imperial ton :surrender:having already done 47 miles . What the heck Im out anyway so we do the planned route . Market Bosworth ,Upton ,Atterton ,Witherley ,Warton ,Wilson ,Dadlington and back to Market Bosworth some 31 miles . Discovered some new lanes which on another day would have been lovely .Not the most chatty ride just a case of getting round . In Market Bosworth we parted company @Lilliburlero headed home needing 25 miles for his ton .I needed another 18 miles to do 200 mile week. So an 12 mile trip home needed extending a bit so a few loops in various villages on the way home . Nearing home I decided to add the extra 4 miles to complete a metric ton .Loops around the village and riding past home for half a mile got the required distance . 62.3 miles done in pretty grim condition got home soaked can't say I enjoyed it but it got done

My clothing weighed more than my bike when i`d finished, proper drenched :rain:

100 miles and no other cyclists spotted!? :scratch:^_^

Top Bottom