Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A glorious day here, so off I went for a bimble. Onto the A470, then onto the A489 for about half a mile then onto the B4404 my favourite road. Followed that road into Mach first passing through Gwynedd. I only spent about 15 minutes in there mind you. Onto the cycle path that runs alongside the River Dovey then back onto the A489 at the back end of Mach. Past the railway station and continued on Into Mach.

Today was market day,
20190515_111327.jpg
20190515_115022.jpg
20190515_110901.jpg
20190515_113539.jpg
20190515_112800.jpg

due to a combination of superb weather and market day meant that the town was heaving. I stopped at the stall that repairs watches and got a new battery fitted to my watch,.then spent 10 minutes in the park watching the crowds. Back on my bike and once again on the A489 towards home. Once I got to the turn off onto the A470 that would take me home in under 3 miles I decided to drop down onto the B4404 once again and did my usual loop.

A total of 27 miles for me today in glorious conditions.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice lunch time solo loop in the sun. Most of th roads are really quiet. Not many other cyclst's out. Ended with a solo beer at the end.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/7TQ8elxaIW
20190515_143331.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E on a day off with Jules H and me. We headed off in superb weather for some hills. Bromyard saw us up part way then by Bockleton we'd topped out on this outward leg. Still some ups and downs before Leominster. My first visit by bike.

Steve found us a nice cafe. So nice we spent far too long there. Eventually we climbed to the heights of Hegdon Hill to take the ups and downs into the Frome valley. Steve was struggling now but one final climb out of the valley took us over to the Leigh Brook. Not far now but a stop for some ale was requested. That went down well.

Great ride in glorious countryside today. 63 smiles

Old jon

Guru
A bright morning again. This is not guaranteed here, yesterday was blustery and wet, which made me happy to do other things than cycling. Time for some miles, 24.42 of them, according to the garthing. It is a bit daft, two decimal places for the distance of a bike ride, a hundredth of a mile being less than eighteen yards. Ah well, the technology does it for us, never mind.

The drastic descent was busy this morning, pedestrians and cars to contend with, and a very large truck behind me as the flyover was reached. I pulled into the side and stopped to let it pass. Discretion, the local roads are narrow, and very rough. And not just the local roads. I had thought to ride out to Cacupe this morning ‘cos maybe I felt braver about the roads . . .

So, around the bend and along the beach road to the bridge which takes traffic to the continent. No anglers were visible along the bike path on the westward crossing, a few walkers and two other cyclists being blown about by the wind. Turn right at the bridge end, roughly north but soon northwest, and ride along an image of the bike track on the opposite shore. Not so busy though.

This area does not have a name, on the map anyway, unless Estreito covers it all. The end of the path is the start of a residential district, follow the road to a T junction and turn left and then right to ride on Avenue Leoberto Leal. This leads to the main north to south highway ( BR 101 ) and is unsurprisingly busy. Slow enough in town, but I was happy to take the right turn onto Rua Heriberto Hulse when I reached it. I have ridden along here before, so I knew I would be turning around when BR 101 was reached. But only after riding through an area of mixed housing, sometimes cattle in roadside fields and other times noisy little workshops of the back street car repair variety. Interesting.

The trip back was another lesson in riding around one way systems. The map grew a few squiggles as the route neared the beach road. I should really do better, maybe next time. I did find one alternative road, but only by following another rider.

Over the bridge again, a couple of brave fisherfolk had appeared there. Down the ramp, turn left and it’s the often ridden way home. Busy, with cyclists and scooterists and joggers. Did not see anyone on skates today, or skateboards. Ride on, things are quieter and home is nearer. Just by the edge of Joao Paulo I caught up with the only touring cyclist I have seen on this visit. Panniers front and rear, very heavily loaded. And we had no language in common, just exchanged good mornings. The rain started right at the bottom of home hill, but did not wash the smile away.

The map, with extra squiggles,

15052019.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm back at my Mum's for a few days in north Norfolk and with a day off work, it was too sunny today not to head out for a ride.

IMG_3652.JPG

After a coffee at Creake Abbey, I paused at Burnham Thorpe to see the great man's birthplace.

IMG_3653.JPG

Made a couple of friends near Burnham Overy Town. I watched them for a while and they seemed inseparable.

IMG_3655.JPG

The 'hill' above Burnham Overy Staithe.

IMG_3656.JPG

From Burnham Overy Staithe, a footpath leads you the mile or so to the open sea. It's so pleasant, it means walking your bike along it is no problem. Riding would be too quick anyway to take it all in - even at my pace.

IMG_3657.JPG

Burnham Overy Staithe.

IMG_3662.JPG

I locked my bike to a fence and walked the last few hundred yards to the dunes. It's a while since I've been over this way and I'd almost forgotten how stunning the place is. 13 miles in total today.

Mike_P

Guru
Another short evening ride - this time north to Ripley and then the loop round via Nidd to the Ripley-Knaresborough road which for the first time I followed the rest of the way to Knaresborough - another lumpy road with down grades almost immediately translating into up grades. Returned via the Beryl Burton Way with surprisingly a new PR up the wall as I had got mixed up a bit with the gears. 14.68 miles 888ft climbed 14 mph average.
150519 route.jpg
150519 gradient.jpg

gavgav

Guru
@Rickshaw Phil has had my Cube, for 2 days, to carry out its annual service and also fit the new chainrings that he kindly bought me for my Birthday.

Phil picked me up at 19:45 and took me up to his, where he showed me what he’d done, superbly as always, and then joined me on a short test ride back to mine.

Everything feels really smooth and I am going to like the new lower gearing, on those Welsh, Shropshire and Cumbrian Hills and Mountains! Only switched into the small cog for a quick test and they will definitely help!!

Thanks @Rickshaw Phil

3.0 miles

Zipp2001

Veteran
Hey no rain ! Haven't been able to say that to often the month and a half. I finally got to wear my new cycling shoes as I headed to the bike shop. I've never had Specialized shoes I have Sidi and Mavic shoes that I love. I wanted the Specialized shoes because I really liked the color they had. I didn't notice I even had a different pair of shoes on, so that's a good thing. I really liked the retention system and lets see how they do over the long haul.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCH6pCPnQjw

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Couple of days late! But I forgot to add my stats! Lovely day on Monday so went out to get some sprints in, really wanting to try and increase my average pace to near 13mph MINIMUM for each ride...even with hills!

I had a good 10k run the day before, so everything was a little tight (Note to self: Need to get back to my stretching and yoga in the morning and evenings of competition days!)

I ended up trying to blitz it from the beginning and not actually stick to my original plan, I did have a busy day so was conscious of getting late home I suppose!

IMG_20190513_124453_621.jpg
IMG_20190513_124453_625.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride out to Sineu with Mrs Dave today.
The fields of Sa Pobla verdant and fulsome with potatoes and artichoke. We saw a marsh harrier through the marsh.
We stopped at Sineu for lunch. Soon after we had a nice sighting of a Red Kite.
Near Llubi we saw the bird that we’ve not seen so far on this holiday, a Hoopoe. One flew across the road in front of us.
On the way home we stopped in a Puerto Pollença for a beer (or 2)

60 sunny miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2372358932

491A39BB-9979-41B5-8FCA-53F2F63A80E4.jpeg
B2683540-3606-4846-B9CE-01FC9AA259F4.jpeg
6AB9872A-C93E-4644-A839-907436E266FC.jpeg
8D55A18F-C331-4035-875E-DA2A92EB1D68.jpeg
10F2C5D0-0039-4994-A07B-59E776D05813.jpeg
AEC4EA10-1C1E-499B-B384-D6C7B8E03E47.jpeg
F92EA249-4646-4B84-A5A7-AEEB43BB2F90.jpeg
55030C26-C487-4762-AB5F-DB72B08369E1.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Two rides today, first a 6 mile commute to Didcot and back on my Whyte hybrid, then a trip to Abingdon with the Fragrant MrsP, she on her Trek Madone, and me on my BSA Tour de France, trying to get used to riding this with friction shifting ready for the BHF London to Brighton Run next month. 22.5 miles . Just over 28 miles today.

Still no sign of the MoJo though, it’s a struggle to get out of the door TBH.

Only one photo today of an arty bench along the sustrans route, one of a pair that is supposed to represent Wittenham Clumps (hills) in the distance.
D3E4EDDC-5370-4B52-82F0-6427B1D6704D.jpeg
B195E4F9-075E-49B8-96D8-7548A538ABF4.jpeg
39101AA5-A851-4354-B56E-10BC0A7BD424.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two rides to report on:

Yesterday I had the evening ride to accompany @gavgav back after he picked his bike up. No fettling needed on the way which is good. After parting from him I decided to make a loop out of the trip and headed out of town via Weeping Cross and aimed for Cantlop and into the sunset on my way to Condover before taking advantage of the wind direction to help me on the dash up to the main road which was nice and quiet at that time of the evening.

12.2 miles at 14.4 mph average.

Today I was up early and made the most of it by taking the Raleigh on my Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Walcot, Upton Magna, Cross Houses, Condover route that I did on the Galaxy last week.

It was abit breezier out than it was last time I did this route but I got on well enough. Traffic was a little busy at the start then nice and quiet when I got onto the lanes.

Not many other cyclists out today. By Upton Magna I'd seen a couple on road bikes and a couple of tourers. At Berwick Wharf I paused for a drink before joining the busier road and as I set off again I could see a rider coming up behind me. When he didn't immediately overtake I assumed he'd turned right when I turned left. Further along the road he did finally come past and I kept pace across Atcham Bridge and we parted at the Chilton Lane junction with him saying something I didn't catch.

I carried on through Cross Houses and past Berrington Hall then headed towards Condover and was surprised after the Allfield junction to find the same rider stopped tinkering with his gears. He didn't need assistance but we did chat and it was quite gratifying for him to compliment me on how quick I'd been going past Attingham Park.:shy: His own ride had brought him from Newport and he was heading for the Long Mynd before completing a loop back to home - about 80 or 90 miles.

The wind was helping again for my last section for home and the main road was relatively quiet again which was good.

34.4 miles at 15.4 mph average. Not as quick as the same route using the Galaxy, but not bad considering it was more windy.

DSC0007427.jpg

Near to Ryton early in the ride.

DSC0007428.jpg

The Wrekin from just outside Eaton Constantine.

Top Bottom