Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
We decided to venture a bit further afield today and loaded the bikes onto Mrs Gunks car.

View attachment 519400

We started and finished at Bampton

View attachment 519401

We did a circular 15 miles route through Clanfield and out towards Letchlade, lovely part of the county, it reminds me of cycling in France.

View attachment 519404

View attachment 519405

I'm a great fan of drive cycling, somewhere different with places to explore.
And the drive does not have to be that great ... my ride this morning .. Wath to Toll Bar only required a 20 minute drive to new roads ... and mostly off road tracks and canal paths ...

Pics added tp post 24,961...

Mod edit - Link to that post: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5966940

Last edited by a moderator:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I took the hybrids to Sutton Courtney today to deliver some flowers and a birthday card to a family friend. We rode part of the way along cycle route 5 behind what was Didcot cooling towers, it’s a nice quiet traffic free route but the problem with it is there’s loads of peds along it now that can’t seem to stay on one side I’d the track or another. Anyway we delivered the gifts leaving them at the door, and did a circular loop back along the roads, it’s a lot less hassle at the moment.
Lovely dry sunny day but a little cool in the shade.

16.17 of your imperial miles.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
For the second day in a row I did 22 miles today in just over an hour and a half. Considering I had to remove the front derailleur from my No.2 bike, leaving it effectively a 9-speeder with a 36 tooth chain ring, I'm quite pleased with that. It certainly required upping my cadence quite a lot. I only did two brief stops .... one to get a shot of this spectacular wisteria in Fretherne:

and another quick stop for a drink on the river bank at Priding:

.... with a sky straight out of the opening scenes of the Simpsons.

This will be the last time you see my full hipster beard. I quite like it, but my wife says it makes me look like Buster Merryfield! I shall do as I'm told and get rid of it.

Another glorious day for a ride. There were plenty of little family groups out there today, but social distancing was not a problem. I was particularly pleased to be able to put my No.1 bike in to the LBS this morning. He is only opening one day a week, but hopefully I'll have the bike up and running again by next weekend. He seems to think I've torn apart my second axle in a couple of years. .... The joys of being a super-heavyweight cyclist!

Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
After a 4 days commuting in the cold, wind and rain it was nice to see an improvement in the weather today. Just enough time to do a quick ride around Whixall. Started off to Northwood, Hollinswood, Alkington, Tilstock, CotonWood, Coton, Waterloo,down Ossage Lane to Horton, Wolverley, along the Ellesmere Road to Northwood and back home . Back to normal numbers of people about now, the change in weather must have kept the extras at home. 21.7 miles @16.1mph.

ianbarton

Veteran
After two rides this week when I set off after the rain had stopped, thinking I would remain dry and getting soaked today was much better. A bit cool at the start, but soon got warmer. I decided to do my loop through Prees, Dobsons Bridge, and Wem, then back home via Ightfield. I usually stop at the cafe in the library at Wem, but of course it's closed at the moment. I stopped just after crossing back over the A41 and ate a pork pie I had brought with me before continuing home.

Quite a few families out on their bikes. The traffic, which has started increasing in the past week, was very quiet today. Total distance about 56km.

Jaykun85

Today I did my first long ride in nearly 3 years :smile:
I was quite impressed with myself even though I will be. little sore in the morning .

Though I nearly died getting up old pale. I forgot how much of a effort it is to get up there

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 18.39.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 18.39.17.png
    134 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1588.jpeg
    IMG_1588.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 87FA06E4-CF9B-4C49-AA5D-AE57C847D927.jpeg
    87FA06E4-CF9B-4C49-AA5D-AE57C847D927.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 2

Mike_P

Guru
Still puzzled over the missing quick links, thought they might be in the spare saddle bag but where was that, maybe I put it in one of the panniers, hang on where are the panniers …
So after another GCN watching session on the indoor trainer yesterday a relatively tight circuit to the west just in case something happened with the new chain this afternoon. Warm enough for bib shorts, cool and windy enough for long sleeve jersey and with the threat of showers another outing for the new blue Altura jersey. Oaker Banks then Penny Pot which was a bit of a slog as it become more open with the north westerly forming a crosswind.

Turned north east to Kettlesing Head and then looped round to approach Kettlesing from the north

East along the valley for the 15.2% max climb to Swincliffe Top, with a tailwind – first time on the Defy this way this year having previously been up it on the ebike.

A new PR was the result- in top third on Strava as well^_^ For a change the decent was via the long way round to Hampsthwaite and home via the climb of Hollins Lane with a couple more PRs achieved. Stayed dry with the showers turning up later to nicely water the garden for me. A fair number of cyclists about but again acknowledgements were few. 14.07 miles @12.5ph avg 1063ft climbed. Hadn’t bothered to replace the slipping hood cover but today showed it needed the new one so off with old one which sort of won the fight as a plaster was required while the new one was persuaded on with the help of a very old can of hair spray from when I had enough hair to require its use.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A slight change of scenery today by going thr the back roads to Plympton. Then Spakwell and Cornwood. I went up to Hartford for the second time ever, it’s a nice quiet, pretty route.
From Ivybridge to Bittaford and Wrangaton then over the A38 and a nice cruise down from Ugborough to Ermington.

I cant stand the road from Ermington up to the Holbeton turn , 7/8% for half a mile, so I took the huge, steep, longer hill to Westlake, much more pleasant!

Home via Creacombe. 31 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3385222702

theloafer

Legendary Member
trip to visit the girlfriend and fav mother in law... social distances... all adhered to .. (had planned to go west) ... even broke my #1 rule never go back the way you came ..lol knew i did not have OCD ..also rode the A689 from sedgefield-billingham as traffic was almost nil (normally use the NCN1 which runs along side of it...... 45 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/3386221501

Jaykun85

trip to visit the girlfriend and fav mother in law... social distances... all adhered to .. (had planned to go west) ... even broke my #1 rule never go back the way you came ..lol knew i did not have OCD ..also rode the A689 from sedgefield-billingham as traffic was almost nil (normally use the NCN1 which runs along side of it...... 45 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/3386221501

View attachment 519529
That’s either a very small bike or a huge sign .. I’m not sure which :tongue:

Top Bottom