Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
An arrow, a children's cartoon car and a penis ..... thats a strange head badge ........:laugh:
I can't unsee that now!

Old jon

Guru
More miles on a bike needed, and that bright blue sky is saying do it now! Me and the fixed rolled away towards Holbeck. And smartly left there to ride the alternative (as in not again) way to Headingley.

Keep pedalling, staying on the A660. The road rises all the way to Lawnswood, not steep but it does tire the legs a bit. The roadworks by the Lawnswood Arms reminded me why I do not ride this way often, an understandable dislike of waiting at traffic lights. Wonder if Bramhope has a blight of the things? Nope, ride through that village and straight on at the Dyneley Arms.

Not usual to go this way, down Leeds Road into Otley, but for the route today I have to ride one stretch of road twice. The Pool to Otley Road in the same direction both times or the Leeds Road in each direction. Variety being one of the better bits of cycling, Leeds Road it is. Wander around Otley a bit and cross the River Wharfe, then turn right onto Farnley Lane. Which goes, you may have guessed, up to Farnley. Where a second breakfast was had before continuing down the other side of the hill I had just climbed.

Turn right after crossing the River Washburn and when the A658 is reached turn right again, re-cross the Wharfe at Pool and another right turn points the bike at Otley. Why go back there? Don’t think I have the legs for Pool Bank on the fixed. So, another, but different ride through Otley and ride up Leeds Road, through Bramhope again and up Kings Road so I can ride through Adel to miss those traffic lights at Lawnswood.

And it is all downhill from here. Headingley again, and down the hill to Kirkstall. Turn left, the River Aire is not far away on the right almost all the way to Leeds’ centre. Cross that river on Victoria Bridge and the end of the ride is no great distance. Thirty six miles sort of horizontally and 1800 feet vertically up, and I have a grin! Brilliant.

Map, up and downs, and the bike that did it all.

15052020.jpg

15052020elev.jpg

Above sea level, the whole ride. There is a relief!

The Fixed at Farnley.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Was down to my last few eggs earlier and couldn't be sure I'd last out the weekend, so took a sedate journey to the farm to collect some more.

For some reason my misery lifted a lot yesterday and simply getting out in the sun and fresh air with some Pink Floyd was a joyous experience. I took the most direct route there at a steady pace through Eaton and Appleton, being pleased to find a good stock of eggs and a bit more aesthetic garnish on the egg shed this time - along with a good deal of egg-seeking traffic coming and going while I loaded up my bag and awkwardly took some pics for the benefit of the forum:

Image014.jpg

The chickens appeared somewhat troubled; watching on and clucking indignantly as I decanted their precious eggs into my own boxes.. I think they were also drawn to the fence out of appreciation for my capable steel steed and its competent execution of the latest standards in brake and wheel mounting technology :tongue:

Still felt pretty good when leaving so made it a circular through Abingdon (righteously-verbally-abusing some idiotically-parked van driver en-route) and came back along the cycle path to Radley, then down the back of Kennington and home. A slow and sedate 25 miles at 13mph and 113bpm; being all zones 1-2; mostly the former. Despite the steady pace what appears to be sciatica was really starting to bother me on the way back, so evidently I need to work on my post-ride stretching.

Hoping I might be fit for a longer one tomorrow, although currently that's looking like wishful thinking. Also missed a delivery of bicycle-y goodies from Germany so that'll have to wait until Monday 🍆

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
Actually yesterday’s ride, but finished a bit late!

So, I set out after working from home to cycle home. As the lockdown eases, traffic levels are gradually rising and main roads are starting to revert to their normal unpleasantness. Pondering what opportunities remain, I decide to go up the Cat & Fiddle from Macclesfield, which is not a lot of fun at rush hour normally. Off I go, full of enthusiasm engendered from a wonderful sunny, albeit a bit chilly evening.
I used to live in Tideswell and remember doing those rides around Buxton. Tideswell was a great place to live, but being at the top of the hill it meant that starting a ride was easy, but returning home involved a long slog up a hill!

theloafer

Legendary Member
well last night i had a daft idea ... after my other ride the hill test for my Riese +muller e-bike "lets try distance" so picked a route i know well. home-Darlington-Richmond-Redmire-Hawes-Kirby Stephen-GT Musgrave-Brough-Middleton in Teesdale-Staindrrop-quite lanes back to Shildon,then along the cycle path straight to aycliffe station and home.
legs are shot and just made it without draining the batteries... all though after Brough had to knock it down to eco mode
109 miles 7,010ft think i will sleep good tonight https://www.strava.com/activities/3455512144

they like my banana cake

more cake

nice cafe stop

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've not bothered putting the past three days rides on here as they were all variations of the same 40 mile route in grey, cold and windy (especially on Wednesday) conditions.

However, the forecast for today was a bit warmer, much sunnier and with lighter winds, so I did a quick bit of route planning last night which involved quite a lot of of off road riding and a couple of bridleways I'd not ridden before, with the intended destination being St. Marys church in Akenham. It's located about half a mile up a rough farm track and I've ridden past the "Historic Church"tourist information signs for it loads of times, but only on a road bike, so never stopped.

The route was basically out to Falkenham then off road almost all the way to the road to Bucklesham, then a quick diversion in Foxhall for another rough bit, then on road through Ipswich to the track to the church, doubling back on another track past Akenham fisheries, back on road to Tuddenham, off road again to Rushmere St. Andrew, on road to Kesgrave, a fast off road section on the Longstrops bridlway to Martlesham and a quick play in the woods & heathland and back homewards on road through Bucklesham again before a final off road diversion on the tracks the other side of Trimley.

Plenty of this
Drunkards' Lane.JPG

this (to get to the church)
Akenham Church approach.JPG

and this
Long Strops wood.JPG

with this being the target
St. Mary's Church, Akenham (2).JPG

Plus some new colour in the roadside verges
Poppy.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/3454660712
Screenshot_2020-05-15 All this for a church Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-05-15 All this for a church Ride Strava(1).png

footloose crow

Über Member
15 May. Clay Pits, Saints and Camels

Spoiler alert before we start
: contrary to the way they are described much of this ride is mis-named. The Clay Trail is gravel - not clay. There are no saints on the Saints' Way. I didn't see any camels on the Camel Trail. All very disappointing.

My plan was a longer ride with as much off road (but only gravel tracks) as possible and the rest on back lanes, which might as well be gravel tracks after the winter rains and ten years of austerity. I haven't been on the Clay Trails before so was looking forward to meeting them. The Clay rail begins, it appears, in the centre of St Austell; a town once described as the worst place to live in Britain, although in the spring sunshine today it seemed OK. Very empty though. I worked in the town for eleven years so I have a soft spot for it.

The only way is up once you start the trail, softly at first and initially on tarmac and then as the trail steepens into double figures of gradient, it turns to gravel.

I had the joy of overtaking some mountain bikers on electric bikes- that doesn't happen often to me. The trail went on and on with steepening parts coinciding with the loosest surface forcing me to stay in the saddle to keep the back tyre planted, before suddenly arriving at the top of the hills behind St Austell, 770 feet higher than when I started. There is a huge hole in the ground here known as Baal Pit and a pyramidal pile of spoil from the china clay workings that locals call Sky Tip.

Looking across to St Austell Bay from the new cycle path bridge

Sky Tip. There is a flag planted on the summit - a Cornish flag of course

Baal Pit with its turquoise pool at the bottom. There is a plan for a new 'garden village' here.

The trail goes on.....

Leaving the Clay Trail behind takes me onto the back lanes through the hidden Luxulyan valley, once a major transport route from the clay pits to the port at Par Docks. There are tunnels beneath me that took clay slurry down to the port and above me an aqueduct carrying water to St Austell. The valley is steep sided and dark, beeches and oaks have grown tall here and undisturbed, creating a green tunnel.

Once past Luxulyan I am on the Saints Way. It took Madame Crow and myself two days to walk this trail about ten years ago and today I can dismiss it in a few hours. It takes a line across Cornwall from south coast to north coast - or vice versa - alternating between boggy valleys with dwarf oaks and then up onto moors cut through with granite tors. There were no Saints visible. I expect they were busy today doing Saint stuff somewhere else.

The Saints Way leads seamlessly onto NCN 3 at Lanhydrock, cutting through a mature beech forest (more off road) and then across the A30 on another special bridge for cyclists. Bodmin appears and I continue to follow NCN signs through the town centre and now onto the Camel Trail.

Gravel again but hard packed. The tyres make that characteristic noise of tyres on gravel, which warns pedestrians I am coming. I see two bikes and perhaps a dozen walkers in ten miles of trail. So different to the usual crowds on this popular trail.

Leaving the trail before Wadebridge I am once again on back lanes and heading uphill (again) along treelined lanes following streams that I can hear but not see. A brief rendezvous with the busy world as I re -cross the A30 at Roche and then it is pell mell for the Goss Moor trail. Another trail! I am gravel biking like an American.

Once past Goss Moor and back onto roads the route carries on down deep hidden Cornish lanes, very quiet lanes and some of them actually 'Quiet Lanes'.

I am getting tired now but there is more to be done. I am really beginning to resent the hills, wanting to just cruise along rather than puff and grind up steep winding lanes, the top always further than I think.

The final hill in Truro, 250 feet of 5-8%, is not normally too bad but today it is as much as I can manage. Pleased to be home after six hours on the bike, mind filled with images and sounds. Hedgerows, sweeping views, the sound of tyres on gravel, the click of gears shifting down. Another long ride but I am enjoying the challenge, learning how to pace myself, how to ignore the minor pains and tiredness. I am discovering that a longer ride is a mental challenge as much as a physical one. I continue to work towards two targets for this summer - my first century ride and my first 200k ride. If only it wasn't so hilly here......

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 23.08.01.png

ruffers

Veteran
15 May. Clay Pits, Saints and Camels

Spoiler alert before we start
: contrary to the way they are described much of this ride is mis-named. The Clay Trail is gravel - not clay. There are no saints on the Saints' Way. I didn't see any camels on the Camel Trail. All very disappointing.

My plan was a longer ride with as much off road (but only gravel tracks) as possible and the rest on back lanes, which might as well be gravel tracks after the winter rains and ten years of austerity. I haven't been on the Clay Trails before so was looking forward to meeting them. The Clay rail begins, it appears, in the centre of St Austell; a town once described as the worst place to live in Britain, although in the spring sunshine today it seemed OK. Very empty though. I worked in the town for eleven years so I have a soft spot for it.

The only way is up once you start the trail, softly at first and initially on tarmac and then as the trail steepens into double figures of gradient, it turns to gravel.
View attachment 522621

I had the joy of overtaking some mountain bikers on electric bikes- that doesn't happen often to me. The trail went on and on with steepening parts coinciding with the loosest surface forcing me to stay in the saddle to keep the back tyre planted, before suddenly arriving at the top of the hills behind St Austell, 770 feet higher than when I started. There is a huge hole in the ground here known as Baal Pit and a pyramidal pile of spoil from the china clay workings that locals call Sky Tip.

View attachment 522622
Looking across to St Austell Bay from the new cycle path bridge

View attachment 522623
Sky Tip. There is a flag planted on the summit - a Cornish flag of course

View attachment 522624
Baal Pit with its turquoise pool at the bottom. There is a plan for a new 'garden village' here.

View attachment 522625
The trail goes on.....

Leaving the Clay Trail behind takes me onto the back lanes through the hidden Luxulyan valley, once a major transport route from the clay pits to the port at Par Docks. There are tunnels beneath me that took clay slurry down to the port and above me an aqueduct carrying water to St Austell. The valley is steep sided and dark, beeches and oaks have grown tall here and undisturbed, creating a green tunnel.

Once past Luxulyan I am on the Saints Way. It took Madame Crow and myself two days to walk this trail about ten years ago and today I can dismiss it in a few hours. It takes a line across Cornwall from south coast to north coast - or vice versa - alternating between boggy valleys with dwarf oaks and then up onto moors cut through with granite tors. There were no Saints visible. I expect they were busy today doing Saint stuff somewhere else.

The Saints Way leads seamlessly onto NCN 3 at Lanhydrock, cutting through a mature beech forest (more off road) and then across the A30 on another special bridge for cyclists. Bodmin appears and I continue to follow NCN signs through the town centre and now onto the Camel Trail.

Gravel again but hard packed. The tyres make that characteristic noise of tyres on gravel, which warns pedestrians I am coming. I see two bikes and perhaps a dozen walkers in ten miles of trail. So different to the usual crowds on this popular trail.

Leaving the trail before Wadebridge I am once again on back lanes and heading uphill (again) along treelined lanes following streams that I can hear but not see. A brief rendezvous with the busy world as I re -cross the A30 at Roche and then it is pell mell for the Goss Moor trail. Another trail! I am gravel biking like an American.

Once past Goss Moor and back onto roads the route carries on down deep hidden Cornish lanes, very quiet lanes and some of them actually 'Quiet Lanes'.

View attachment 522627

I am getting tired now but there is more to be done. I am really beginning to resent the hills, wanting to just cruise along rather than puff and grind up steep winding lanes, the top always further than I think.

View attachment 522626

The final hill in Truro, 250 feet of 5-8%, is not normally too bad but today it is as much as I can manage. Pleased to be home after six hours on the bike, mind filled with images and sounds. Hedgerows, sweeping views, the sound of tyres on gravel, the click of gears shifting down. Another long ride but I am enjoying the challenge, learning how to pace myself, how to ignore the minor pains and tiredness. I am discovering that a longer ride is a mental challenge as much as a physical one. I continue to work towards two targets for this summer - my first century ride and my first 200k ride. If only it wasn't so hilly here......

View attachment 522631

great write up and that is some ride 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride: Out on the Raleigh to get some more miles in. It was a longer variation of one of my regular routes, this time going: Condover, Cantlop, Acton Burnell, Hollyhurst, Dudgleley, Smethcott, Wilderley, Pulverbatch, Longden, Exfords Green, Hunger Hill and back via Little Lyth.

The wind was a north-westerly which helped nicely to Pitchford and a cross-wind to Hollyhurst which helped progress on the flat part of the ride. I had wondered if the roads would be busy as people gear up for the weekendbut they weren't, along this stretch at least.

Crossing an empty A49 and turning back northwards again I was onto the roads I expected to have pretty much to myself as I had last time I was here. I didn't this time though, encountering a variety of vehicles and a group on horseback.

From Pulverbatch to Longden riding into the wind was offset by it being mostly downhill. I encountered another couple of horse-riders at Longden Common (usually this road would be a bit busy for them).

The wind helped on the way to Exfords Green but wasn't quite the right direction to make the most of it to Hunger Hill. At the top of the Lyth Hill climb the car park was still busy but not quite full - I think I caught it in a lull though as my sister tells me it was packed to overflowing earlier in the day.

A little extra at the end was added to round the distance up.

29 miles at 14mph average.

On the railway bridge at the most southerly point of this ride.

I'm sure you two shouldn't be this side of the gate.

Still plenty of bluebells about.

Top Bottom