Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another afternoon ride today and a longer ride planned. Set off to Northwood, Welshampton where I turned by the school onto the lanes towards Coptiviney and on to Ellesmere turning by the Mere up to Sandyhill, onto Trench then turn down Cae Goody Lane to Elson, past Millionaires Row back into Ellesmere where there were quite a few people walking about, over the canal and past Ellesmere College to Tetchill, across to Lee, Spunhill, past Whitemere, past Wood Lane nature reserve which was still closed, to Colemere , Lyneal, Loppington, Burlton, Myddle, Nonely, Tilley, Wem, Barkers Green, Aston, back to Wem just in time for the barriers at the railway crossing to come down. This can mean waiting for 10 minutes for the train but luckily this was a fast no stopping sort of train rather than the old, slow local trains so just 5 minutes wait, didn’t fancy trying to turn right straight after the crossing through the traffic which had built up so carried on a bit further into Wem where the car behind me decided he had been held up long enough and overtook despite the oncoming car which had to pull over and stop, and took the next right onto the Whitchurch road to Creamore where I turned back onto the lanes to Highfields, Horton and back home. 37.8 miles @15.6 mph. Lots of cyclists out again today which I haven’t seen for a few weeks now and the only idiot drivers were in Wem which is as expected. Photo from Sandy Hill towards Wales, looked much better in real life!
E05C4FD2-2D59-4404-8A42-A29CB456F6B3.jpeg

Katherine

Guru
IMG_20200516_163409738_HDR.jpg

It's a long time since I posted about a ride in this thread.
Today I joined the canal at Astley and rode to Haigh Hall near Wigan, which is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. (I've been there lots of times by road.) It was very enjoyable. The surfaces varied from gravel, brick paving, cobbles, stony and dry mud.

Approaching Wigan
IMG_20200516_143628952_HDR.jpg

I saw gold finches flying parallel to me, ducks, geese and swans with their various offspring, moorhens, black headed gulls.
Taking a picture of the swans I heard munching right behind me..

PSX_20200516_183628.jpg

PSX_20200516_183802.jpg

This is Haigh Hall. If I didn't have my bike with me, I'd have gone for a walk to see the amazing azaleas. We used to bring the kids here when they were younger for tree climbing, hide and seek and picnics.
PSX_20200516_183245.jpg

IMG_20200516_164845036.jpg

delb0y

Legendary Member
Out twice this weekend. Thank goodness. Nothing much to report. just keen to get some mileage in the legs now that I can get out again. 19 miles yesterday and 13 this morning. Just round the local lanes and housing estates. This morning was especially nice as it was (reasonably) early and pretty quiet (and thus no out-of-practice drivers cutting me up which happened twice yesterday). Reminded me of why I like to get up at the crack of dawn and ride. Although today it was the crack of dawn + 2.

JPBoothy

Veteran
View attachment 522889

It's a long time since I posted about a ride in this thread.
Today I joined the canal at Astley and rode to Haigh Hall near Wigan, which is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. (I've been there lots of times by road.) It was very enjoyable. The surfaces varied from gravel, brick paving, cobbles, stony and dry mud.

Approaching Wigan
View attachment 522894

I saw gold finches flying parallel to me, ducks, geese and swans with their various offspring, moorhens, black headed gulls.
Taking a picture of the swans I heard munching right behind me..

View attachment 522890

View attachment 522891

This is Haigh Hall. If I didn't have my bike with me, I'd have gone for a walk to see the amazing azaleas. We used to bring the kids here when they were younger for tree climbing, hide and seek and picnics.
View attachment 522892

View attachment 522893
There have been a few tv programmes about the Canals recently and I hadn't realised how close we came to losing large sections if it hadn't been for the many volunteer groups that were formed to restore the locks/pumping stations etc.. It would have been such a shame as they are a peaceful place to be on a sunny day. Great photos :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 decided she would take me on an outing. Sandwiches in our back pockets we aimed at the southern end of the hills. We crossed to Much Marcle where we sat in the ancient Yew while Mrs 26 ate her lunch. We then ran along the eastern flanks of the Marcles through Rushall and on to Trumpet. Over the Munsley lump took us to the bottom of Wellington Heath. Up we went to pause in the churchyard for the super views and for me to eat my sandwiches. The wildflower meadow here was also worth a look. Then on to visit some friends at distance before climbing homeward over the Wyche. Lovely stuff today. 41 smiles

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A loop on the Domane today, via Rowstock, Grove, Frilford, Gozzards Ford, Abingdon, Drayton and home. No time for stopping today, save for re tying my shoelace because one of them kept getting caught in the chain set, so I had to stop to do that.

A nice day, if a little overcast and a light headwind for the first 8 miles or so. Lots more cars and motorcycles out and about and folks walking about not really doing the SD thing, except for the long queue outside a local Co-Op.

25.40 of them imperial miles at an average speed of 15.19 ( might have been a bit quicker if wasn't for two sets of of temporary traffic lights), 686 ft of elevation, so mostly flat.

A few photos from the Go Pro if you're interested.

Attachments

• 65B0EE9B-25C9-4762-B046-7E6465B61054.jpeg
    65B0EE9B-25C9-4762-B046-7E6465B61054.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3

Landsurfer

Veteran
Well, hopefully the last of the "flatland" rides.
Cardio and Medical Physics on Monday, hopefully to get the go ahead to push the heart rate higher. I have an Implanted Revel Device which i've been trying to use as a data logger but Medical Physics won't play ...:laugh:

So ... Tour de Sheffield .. again ... but a lovely morning and Sheffield is lovely ...

Forgemasters of Sheffield is busy ... hammer forged steel waiting for machining into rollers..

I rode along the 5 Weirs Walk only to find the exit from one of the sections was closed off ... the entrance was open but the exit closed ... I may accidentally have reopened it ...:rolleyes:

Spider Bridge in the centre of Sheffield, part of the Wicker arches .... The spiders light up at night ...

At Coopers Bridge there is a travellers camp by the Don .... loved the notice ...

This is a Yorkshire phenomenon ...... These men are so frightened of asking their wives for a divorce they would rather sit and splash sticks in the water all day long ...anything rather than spend time at home .. they will sit by any patch of water even a puddle ......how sad ......:laugh:

This says it a hundred times better than anything the government could have come up with .... Sheffield Navigation Basin in the city centre.

Another lovely day .... rain or shine it's always lovely in South Yorkshire ..... and i'm from Belfast !!

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After a long awaited return to No.1 bike yesterday, and an immediate head-for-the-hills ride, I thought I'd do it again today. Rolled over to Stroud and headed on up the beautiful Slad Valley:

Without exception, everyone else headed my way on a bike overtook me! No matter. It's a long climb, but perfectly manageable so long as you don't overcook it. When I slipped my chain at one point, I turned it into a tactical photo stop and got my breath back:

Stunning though the Slad Valley is, the best thing about riding all the way up it is that you get to descend back down through Buckholt Woods. The tarmac is in great nick and it is predominantly downhill, with occasional vistas up the vale of Gloucester towards the Malverns. On a warm day it is a lovely cool, shady tunnel of trees and a delight to descend around a number of sweeping curves in the woods:

Then when you hit the main Cheltenham to Stroud road at Cranham, you get some more high speed descending with far reaching views. I stopped by the entrance to Prinknash Abbey and wolfed down a couple of stroopwaffels and a glug of energy drink. As good a place as any for a picnic:

On this occasion, after setting off again, I then hung a left down Nut Hill instead of continuing all the way down to Brockworth on the main road. The descent of Nut Hill is a bit more technical, a narrow lane with several blind bends and a reputation as a bit of a rat run for muppets in baseball caps who can barely see over their steering wheels. I stopped for one last shot before completing my descent:

Another thoroughly enjoyable ride of 32.6 miles, with one big hill thrown in. And that brings up (on only the 17th day of the month) a new single month all time PB of 384.5 miles. I am going to smash the old record out of the park this month.
Enjoy your rides everyone. Cheers, Donger.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Nice leg stretch today into Bowland. Longest ride for a while, over Harris End to Chipping, Wild Boar Park, Dunsop Bridge, Trough of Bowland. Around 1200m of climbing. The biggest challenge was the wind which made the return journey quite difficult. Seemed like normal levels of Sunday traffic as people took advantage of the relaxation of lockdown rules. Lots of motorcycles who must have been desperate to get out and huge numbers of cyclists. Highlight was the discovery of a cafe in Chipping that was open! It seemed very decedent to have a frothy take away coffee sat on a bench outside the shop and converse with a couple of other cyclists, each on our own picnic table of course.

Pictures are the approach to the Trough from the west, just before the mountain rescue barn and Beacon fell from Harris end/Delph road.

Last edited:

ruffers

Veteran
After a long awaited return to No.1 bike yesterday, and an immediate head-for-the-hills ride, I thought I'd do it again today. Rolled over to Stroud and headed on up the beautiful Slad Valley:
View attachment 522975
Without exception, everyone else headed my way on a bike overtook me! No matter. It's a long climb, but perfectly manageable so long as you don't overcook it. When I slipped my chain at one point, I turned it into a tactical photo stop and got my breath back:
View attachment 522976
Stunning though the Slad Valley is, the best thing about riding all the way up it is that you get to descend back down through Buckholt Woods. The tarmac is in great nick and it is predominantly downhill, with occasional vistas up the vale of Gloucester towards the Malverns. On a warm day it is a lovely cool, shady tunnel of trees and a delight to descend around a number of sweeping curves in the woods:
View attachment 522977
Then when you hit the main Cheltenham to Stroud road at Cranham, you get some more high speed descending with far reaching views. I stopped by the entrance to Prinknash Abbey and wolfed down a couple of stroopwaffels and a glug of energy drink. As good a place as any for a picnic:
View attachment 522978
On this occasion, after setting off again, I then hung a left down Nut Hill instead of continuing all the way down to Brockworth on the main road. The descent of Nut Hill is a bit more technical, a narrow lane with several blind bends and a reputation as a bit of a rat run for muppets in baseball caps who can barely see over their steering wheels. I stopped for one last shot before completing my descent:
View attachment 522979
Another thoroughly enjoyable ride of 32.6 miles, with one big hill thrown in. And that brings up (on only the 17th day of the month) a new single month all time PB of 384.5 miles. I am going to smash the old record out of the park this month.

great work, lovely read 👍🏻

13 rider

Guru
Two rides over the weekend ,Saturday did my standard 50km loop out to St Bernards Abbey 32.27 miles with 1946ft of upness at 16.3 mph quite an uneventful ride Today ride was a bit more eventful . Out the door at 10.30 doing my other standard 50 km loop to Wymeswold . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Sileby . Just leaving the village and a rider coming the other way some distance away . Saw him wobble then the next thing he on the deck disappearing down a ditch . Feared the worse as I raced to the scene there was no movement but thankfully when I got there he was clambering up . Apart form a bloody nose and scraped knee he seem fine I told him to sit down and relax for a few moments. I checked his bike out ,chain off was put back on front cantilever brake repair and handlebar straighten . By now he was on his feet having stemmed the bleeding . He was only a few miles from home he thought he hit a drain cover with one hand off the bars and just lost it . He insisted he was ok he changed his route home so I rode with him for half a mile just to make sure he was ok .I wished him well as we parted company . On to Seagrave up Berrycott lane quick descent into Wymeswold then ,Hoton ,Barrow and Mountsorrel . Passing the shop there seemed a few people around the old butter cross heard someone shout my name . Turn back to find a cycling bubby with his mates having a coffee as the cafe was open .Having taken no money with I was grateful of the offer a coffee ^_^ which was gratefully accepted ,so sat chatting at a distance of course can't remember the last coffee stop :cuppa:. Back on the bike Rothley ,Cropston and just coming in my village and stopped my brother in law on his allotment so stopped for a chat as I hadn't seen him for 8 weeks . Finally home 31.4 miles with 1168ft of upness at 16.8 mph

Last edited:

ruffers

Veteran
Two rides over the weekend ,Saturday did my standard 50km loop out to St Bernards Abbey 32.27 miles with 1946ft of upness at 16.3 mph quite an uneventful ride Today ride was a bit more eventful . Out the door at 10.30 doing my other standard 50 km loop to Wymeswold . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Sileby . Just leaving the village and a rider coming the other way some distanced away . Saw him wobble then the next thing he on the deck disappearing down a ditch . Feared the worse as I raced to the scene there was no movement but thankfully when I got there he was clambering up . Apart form a bloody nose and scraped knee he seem fine I told him to sit down and relax for a few moments. I checked his bike out ,chain off was out back on front cantilever brake repair and handlebar straighten . By now he was on his feet having stemmed the bleeding . He was only a few miles from home he thought he hit a drain cover with one hand off the bars and just lost it . He insisted he was ok he changed his route home so I rode with him for half a mile just to make sure he was ok .I wished him well as we parted company . On to Seagrave up Berrycott lane quick descent into Wymeswold then ,Hoton ,Barrow and Mountsorrel . Passing the shop there seemed a few people around the old butter cross heard someone shout my name . Turn back to find a cycling bubby with his mates having a coffee as the cafe was open .Having taken no money with I was grateful of the offer a coffee ^_^ which was gratefully accepted ,so sat chatting at a distance of course can't remember the last coffee stop :cuppa:. Back on the bike Rothley ,Cropston and just coming in my village and stopped my brother in law on his allotment so stopped for a chat as I hadn't seen him for 8 weeks . Finally home 31.4 miles with 1168ft of upness at 16.8 mph

definitely your good deed for the day

gavgav

Guru
View attachment 522975
View attachment 522976
View attachment 522977
View attachment 522978
View attachment 522979
Did a walk through the Slad Valley, with my uncle and cousins, a few years back, stunning scenery but plenty of challenging hills, on foot, which I imagine are even more of a challenge on a bike! Great photos

Top Bottom